Thread: Static noise from the GPU

Static noise from the GPU

Not sure if this happens on the old engine as well, but on the new one my GPU is making a static noise whenever the game is open. Same thing if I run in windowed or in full-screen.
    Card I'm running is: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

If I tab the game out it stops, but the moment I open it back up it starts. It's extremely annoying and it doesn't happen on my old machine.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

does this happens to other games or ao only? what is the brand of your nvidia 970?
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

Sadly only in AO. Granted I'm not that heavy of a gamer any longer, the games I have played on this PC are:
    Metal Gear Solid V
    Borderlands 2
    Diablo 3
    Diablo 2
    League of Legends
    DOTA 2
    Stepmania

ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB Turbo is the exact model. A friend in my org identified it as possibly being "coil whine".
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurounin View Post
    Sadly only in AO. Granted I'm not that heavy of a gamer any longer, the games I have played on this PC are:
    Metal Gear Solid V
    Borderlands 2
    Diablo 3
    Diablo 2
    League of Legends
    DOTA 2
    Stepmania

ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB Turbo is the exact model. A friend in my org identified it as possibly being "coil whine".
    I had this problem also, I removed it by putting the monitor psu on a ground isolated loop
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

theres a few guys complaining that 970 makes coil"whines, but all i hear is computer nerds whines. if this is coil whines then it should whines in other games too, and not ao only.
    when electronics that are not ment to makes sound produces noises then it is nothing good coming from that noise, and the underlying source that creates this high frequency noise can be:

*low power supply unit, that gives inadequate power to the gpu and its cooling systems
    *bad build of the gfx card, or the gfx contains low quality components which become unstable due to thermodynamics
    *a transistor that is going to DIE OOOOOOOOMMMGG

what you can try is update your vga driver and pray to buddha, i also hghly recoomend you to do deep research to verify if the noise comes when playing others games too. if you dont want to waste time playing games just to check if the noise comes or not then you can dl latest 3dmark and run a stress test, if this is really coil whines issue then the coil should whines during the test, if so then theres highly your gfx card is the problem and needs professional advise from its producer.
    Last edited by UNIDENTIFIED; Nov 13th, 2015 at 00:57:36.
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT