Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AO2/AO Reloaded. Could it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    Except we have full raids often, whenever I log in some Nab is doing a Raid. Game is alive and well. Certainly on same level as 4 years ago. Wish there was an accurate online numbers graph.
    This.

When scanning for people don't stay in Borealis/etc waiting to see them. Go to where people are actually DOING things.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Except we have full raids often, whenever I log in some Nab is doing a Raid. Game is alive and well. Certainly on same level as 4 years ago. Wish there was an accurate online numbers graph.

How often is S42 done outside euro prime?

except 4 years ago we hadnt mashed all servers into one in a last bid to make the game seem like it has lots of players. Yeah theres quite a few online at certain times in the day but4 years ago there was enough online accross multiple servers so a comparison now to 4 years ago isnt matching up anywhere near. The game certainly has enough players to play with for the end game stuff but unless your levelling alongside friends/org mates, it is a stroke of luck if you are'nt levelling solo throughout most of the game. These days we can build toons that dont really need teams so for most of us it is of no consequence. For any new starter to the game though, depending on who happens to roll a toon at the same time as them, even the dungeons (subway, totw, mantis den) which are supposed to be aimed at teaming can be left barren due to most people these days prefering to do it solo, quite often with alts in tow. Elitish snobbishness automatically rules out any new starters chances of getting teams due to their inability to do their fair share of the workload in the elitish snobs mind.

Im not really down for an ao2 though, Im quite happy with ao's graphics and systems, I dont even need the new engine and quite happily still use the old. its more a shift in attitude we need if we wanna keep players. An online numbers counter would be awesome to say one way or another hwo populated teh servers are at any given time for sure but without any numbers from 4 years ago it would still be no way of a comparison.
    The only things of importance you will ever find in this life are only those things which you place importance upon!

I'd be very interested to see AO2 with skill training system and player driven economy like EVE Online. The longer you train skills the more superior you are or with more knowledge to items in game should I say.

People that never played AO for long enough to understand what the game is really about will never get that feeling of alternative world. AO "was" a really great game for me and it only brings nostalgia.
    Just finished setting up prefs and client crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drdoll View Post
    I'd be very interested to see AO2 with skill training system and player driven economy like EVE Online. The longer you train skills the more superior you are or with more knowledge to items in game should I say.

People that never played AO for long enough to understand what the game is really about will never get that feeling of alternative world. AO "was" a really great game for me and it only brings nostalgia.
    AO already getting updated at steam

https://steamdb.info/app/217730/

I kinda skipped most of the read here
    My thoughts on the subject, and pretty much after playing TSW.

Obviously Bingo Cola had sponsored the trip that took us to Rubika, Since we see the same cola in TSW. I always seen TSW as a pre Rubika, and related somehow , but not a prequel .

something would work between, a Post TSW, and Prequel to Anarchy Online, and Bingo Cola still there, wouldn't work if there were no Bingo Cola
    There is a large timeline between the two, so large that there could actually be 2 Games, one for the space travel adventures towards discovering Rubika, then another the Early years of Rubika, where we are actually building places like Old Athens

Just some of my Thoughts
    Last edited by MrXaatXuun; Jun 11th, 2016 at 14:53:42.
    Xaatsha2 ++Current setup++ - The Main
    Xaatma2 - Formally know as 'The Main'
    Xaatphd2-Future Doc . Xaatkeep
    -Future Keeper . Xaatmur -Future MP

i made similar thread back in the days but fc former game director Nusquam/ Joel Bylos admitted its to late to ditch new engine and starts over with ao2 "
    As for rebuilding AO from scratch as AO2 or whatever - I understand the wish but the reality is a bit different. A modern game on the scale of AO would cost millions that Funcom doesn't have (see quarterly report). "
    Source: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...55#post6192555

anyways i dont think ao2 will be a hit if fc do it, just take a look at their other mmorpgs, we have age of conan, instead of continue their work on aoc they make survival game conan exiles, i mean why not implement conan exiles gameplay into aoc? whatever they are thinking i hope they dont come up with ao exiles survival game
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    I don't see the value in keeping the skill system either tbh
    Are you kidding me?! The skills and implant system is without a doubt what makes AO amazing. Twinking is one of the hallmarks of AO and no other game I know comes even close to having the same complexity and sense of achievement when you get something just right.

The skill system is what allows people to do amazing things over and over again. Implant laddering or getting that last item with those extra points of treatment to do something no one has ever done before?! How the addition of something like Docaholic's Ring has the potential to change the entire face of low level PvP twinking, since you can now implant just that tiny step further up in quality levels... First time someone took a slayerdroid into ToTW, first time someone put on an intel symb etc etc...

I can remember so many game changing things that were down to adding just one or two items that opened up a whole new world. AO was my first MMO and I've never been able to pick up a second simply because their skill systems were clunky and restrictive compared to the diversity and complexity presented in AO.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

@Avari - wise words and so true.

A friend of mine once said "is hard to impossible to play other games after you were playing AO and EVE" ... he was so true !
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

AO exiles would be fun as hell, survival game on AO lore. Let Bethesda do it. And watch 500M. $ profeit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Could AO2 work? Sure.

Not for the amount of money FC has liquid. Likely it would require 10x that amount of cash. No one is going to invest that into a v2 of a game that, while ground breaking, never saw the commercial success of other MMORPGs of its day (Everquest overall did much better, and you're always going to see the WoW comparison even though I consider it to have been a founding member of a following generation, not the trailing member of the original run of MMORPGs).

While FC hasn't invested a ton in the game lately, they -do- have a huge world overall with a pretty decent amount of lore. Would any of us consider it to be a worthy successor without at least significant nods to those things? Likely no. And FC is a much leaner company these days than it was in the 2000-2005 days.

Worse, to get the funding, they would have to promise to dumb it down and I agree with sentiments above, twinking (though I want to see better balance and thought put into ranges and max beneficial skills) is what set AO apart. The modern gaming world wouldn't accept it.

I wouldn't mind a simplified skills and gear system, but removing it or even gutting it and leaving a shell? In that case don't bother. Create a sci-fi game with AO inspiration but don't make it a direct descendant please.

I'd rather see FC spend FAR fewer dollars (compared to making a fully new game) to reinvigorate AO itself. And yeah, there is a lot that can be done on that front. But it requires FC to recommit to a game that they've pretty well relegated internally to on-going maintenance mode until the subscriber base revenue doesn't surpass the cost of that maintenance. And I'm not saying that in a way of judgement. I do -wish- AO would get funds. But companies have goals that often leave the niche playerbases in the cold. And anyone who plays AO is still in a niche playerbase relative to the size of modern MMO games.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

I like how the title compares AO to the matrix because I've been doing it for years.

and if AO2 were ever a thing, the main things they would need to change are the character animations for perk actions. liek wtf foncom
    Quote Originally Posted by Soju View Post
    #BAN_SOJU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12