Thread: The Steam Effect

The Steam Effect

The effects of posting a game to steam.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-130

Last I heard Funcom where having issues with the Steam overlay when they were trying to make a steam compatible AO launch.
    But yes, AO on steam would be a major plus.

Hard to say what it will look like long term, but in the short term it appears that old and new people will visit the game causing an influx whether they will stay for a while is anyone's guess (me personally, I dont think its likely).

One problem AO has in this market is the subscription fee combined with a cash shop. A new player will look at both and wonder why he would pay to unlock the whole game and then feel he had to compete by buying things in the item shop. Most MMOs these days lets you experience the whole game with some limitations. AOs F2P portion is far too boring and sparsely populated for someone to make a decision on if they want to subscribe. Also, while other MMOs do let you experience the whole game for free the need to visit their cash shop is more profound. A new player would have to get lucky and get in with a good experienced group (and subscribe to the game) to realize that the cash shop is really for convenience and that if he plays the game regularly over a month or two he can get everything in it (aside from a few exclusive items).

I mentioned this years ago that AO will have to re-invent their subscription to attract more people and be relevant. Not to mention they still have to release several other key things for it not to be a clunky mess on Steam.

Exactly what I have been saying for years.
    A few simple changes, although a hit for Funcom could very well re-ignite growth for them.

• Unlock Shadowlands for f2p, keeping LE (Aliens) and Xan locked. And maybe restrict a few items such as top end armor or weapons.
    • Reduce the subscription price in line with all other MMO's. AO is still as far as I know the most expensive subscription based MMO.

Sadly, I would love Rubi-Ka to become more popular, when I first started playing not long after launch I loved exploring Rubi-Ka. Flea pit hunting, chasing brontos etc etc. I had no idea where I was going I just ran around and explored. Thats how I met my first guild, was with them for a loooooong time.

I miss the old days.
    Last edited by Keepbrave; Mar 30th, 2016 at 15:21:12.

AO launches with steam and works with steam overlay on the new graphics engine. 100%
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepbrave View Post
    /snip

Sadly, I would love Rubi-Ka to become more popular, when I first started playing not long after launch I loved exploring Rubi-Ka. Flea pit hunting, chasing brontos etc etc. I had no idea where I was going I just ran around and explored. Thats how I met my first guild, was with them for a loooooong time.

I miss the old days.
    Believe it or not, this actually happened to me just recently! A real, live, actual team hunting around on RK! It was glorious & so 'Old School' to be in a random group, just out hunting in the new zone The Reck.

The Good Old Days really DO still exist in game, they just seem a little far-off & distant sometimes, what with the forum trolls that haven't played in 5years but still enjoy bashing on the game they no longer bother with.

Just thought i'd share a recent cool experience

Edit: Ps Michi, good work on The Reck! That's actually quite a cool area & it was a pleasure noobing it up in there with a random group
    Last edited by Aiken; Mar 30th, 2016 at 17:27:20.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    AO launches with steam and works with steam overlay on the new graphics engine. 100%
    It may do, but it is not incorporated in steam, therefore it is not in the steam store, not advertised, not installable with steam.
    It is a non-steam game added manually that just happens to work with the generic overlay hook-in.

The main post was referring to how much of a boost a game receives regardless of age when it is incorporated into steam and released in the steam store.

Don't worry the UI alone will drive off most of the new players Steam brings in
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepbrave View Post
    It may do, but it is not incorporated in steam, therefore it is not in the steam store, not advertised, not installable with steam.
    It is a non-steam game added manually that just happens to work with the generic overlay hook-in.

The main post was referring to how much of a boost a game receives regardless of age when it is incorporated into steam and released in the steam store.
    No, I said it does do. Period. The vanilla client does not at all Period.

Tell me something I do not actually know from reading the OP [Original Poster] if that's what you meant by "main post" and welcome to forums; yes of course placing AO on the Steam platform is POTENTIALLY a huge positive however:- not with the BETA- ON - LIVE engine in it's current state.

The engine bugs would have to be fixed before hand. Or it could become a huge negative.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Well release it asap.. Should be fun with steam newbs running around.

That being said make SL F2P... And optimize the engine atleast a bit.... Then release.

Also people should be able to post on forums... Not just paid like now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    Well release it asap.. Should be fun with steam newbs running around.

That being said make SL F2P... And optimize the engine atleast a bit.... Then release.

Also people should be able to post on forums... Not just paid like now.
    free shadowland is a big move but they can make game a bit cheaper than this it's very expensive now

shadowlands should have been free long time ago, sl wasnt ment to be expansions pack created for ao, sl was ment as standalone mmorpg ip, its a lord of the rings wannabe created by fc before ao arrived around 15 years ago. fc was working on a middle age/fantasy mmorpg called "Midgar" but put that project on hold in 2001 due to they acquired a more attractive IP called Anarchy Online which they later implement midgar/shadowlands as expansions pack to ao in 2003
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

yeah steam would make more player used those "steam cards" on AO instead of TSW and transferring/linking so FC credits would go/show up on AO more conviently ^_=
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by UNIDENTIFIED View Post
    shadowlands should have been free long time ago, sl wasnt ment to be expansions pack created for ao, sl was ment as standalone mmorpg ip, its a lord of the rings wannabe created by fc before ao arrived around 15 years ago. fc was working on a middle age/fantasy mmorpg called "Midgar" but put that project on hold in 2001 due to they acquired a more attractive IP called Anarchy Online which they later implement midgar/shadowlands as expansions pack to ao in 2003
    I don't believe this to be the case:

1. The AO IP was never acquired but was a seed planted by Gaute Godager, Tommy Strand, Ragnar Tornquist and I'm guessing a lot of books and other people too.
    2. The germination of the seed came in the form of Ragnar Tornquist fleshing out some of the details in what is now known as the novel "Prophet without Honour".
    3. I agree that Shadowlands "seems" to be a melting pot of fiction taken from different sources and sewn together to fit the Anarchy Online story-line. Maybe they thought they could reach a larger market segment by introducing this kind of setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.