Thread: [Old client] Weird patching behaviour for 18.8.14

[Old client] Weird patching behaviour for 18.8.14

Any idea if something was changed in the patching process for the old client between the last patch and now? Since now I saw something I never saw before, and patching bugged out due to something that feels like an oversight on FCs end.

I started the launcher, Clicked patch, I got the permission elevation request, patcher started, did the download/copy/patch, and then a progress bar appeared saying something like "Cleaning up patch" and stayed on screen for a long time while nothing happened (no HDD activity anyway). Then it finally disappeared, the launcher restarted, and the launcher window header bar briefly showed a progress readout for a 2.8 MB download of something, which I have never seen before being done by the launcher. Then the launcher disappeared, I got another elevation request, and then an error message saying that "C:\Users\(elevated admin user)\AppData\Local\Funcom\Anarchy Online\(installhash)\Live\patchertmp\AnarchyPatche r.exe" was not found and thus patching failed.

Based on what I found after a bit of digging around, I think what happened was that the non-elevated launcher downloaded the file above to the data directory of the non-elevated user, then launched some other component which requested the permission elevation, and since this second process was now running in the environment of the elevated user, it obviously couldn't find the file in the data folder of this user, since that was downloaded previously for the non-elevated user by the non-elevated launcher.

Manually copying the file to the data folder of the elevated user solved this, but it shouldn't have happened to begin with. The file should be downloaded by the elevated process (whatever that was) and not the non-elevated launcher, as it is done with the regular part of the patching, as the two processes launched under different users cannot see each others data folders.
    Last edited by Honorbound; May 17th, 2016 at 11:40:33.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution