Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - June 2016 (Happy 15th Anniversary!)

Fix the mantis armor drop chance! I've reported this bug months ago. Take a 3 weeks vacation, go to Nepal, travel to another dimension, come back in 2 months and tell me you fixed a f*cking drop chance bug! God, you make it difficult to hide my disgust.
    Last edited by Nursebones; Jul 7th, 2016 at 11:37:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Datch View Post
    Err - just one thing - I thought one of the main ideas of the new client was to allow AO to work with steam, so maybe you need to get that working instead... After all a lot of new players will like AO a lot better with a new shiny engine instead of a 15 year old client. if you went out to buy a car and you had the choice between a 3 year old one and a 15 year old one - i know which one I would have. I understand that you have limited resources but the new engine seem to be ok most of the time and then are only a couple of mobs the still have graphical gliches.

Datch
    I know that you would take that 3 years old chinese one which would be same as buying the 10 years old premium car? Same with the clients.
    Ciassene

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    An official alliance system at the least. We have too many small 4-20 man orgs. We need some way to bridge more of these small orgs together either than a third party chat bot.
    I've read about this but never experienced it. I think Neverwinter recently got an alliance system. Although the idea is great, to get people to help each other out... The probability that they can allocate resources to develop an alliance system is something between zero and nil if I would make a non-educated guesstimate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

no don't do Chinese cars, I'm a ford driver...... which more than likely does come from china as everything does these days but does have the ford name on it...

Lightbulb

I've used Steam almost since the start, and though I like it I never attach my MMO accounts. Even when the relationship seems simple, often there are surprises having to do with account entanglement, availability of DLC, or other minutiae. This is especially true for a publisher that has several games on Steam already. That's not necessarily a vote of no confidence against Funcom, but trepidation about the way Steam handles third party accounts and RMT.

Note also Steam's draconian rules against cheating as well as "forbidden" topics of discussion. With Steam running I would frankly be terrified to use the third-party utilities Funcom allows, even though I know very well the risk is close to zero. This is not because I expect these programs to cause me trouble directly, but because with a large game library and poor habits about reading announcements, I guarantee I would not know if Funcom's policy changed because some Valve rule required it; and since I don't know how these utilities work, I'd be concerned constantly about some random other game reporting me to VAC because an AO utility inadvertently left a process running in the background after I closed it or because I had to kill it.

Under no circumstances would I ever attach my AO account to Steam.

But maybe you all would, which is why I stress an even more important concern: Very often there is the expectation of a bump in interest when an old game joins Steam, and usually you'll see an initial rush of new blood. But those people tend to wander off to the next Steam flavor-of-the-week, or back to their staple Valve games. This happened with Subspace last year and Ryzom a few months ago; and it's now happening with WildStar, whose player base dropped by half in a month. To people who were already involved in an online game, it is depressing and frustrating to see a lot of new players join only to lose them for no apparent reason. I confess to being part of this problem even with games I love, and part of it is that those of us who rarely game anymore still log into Steam to chat. We see an old favorite has appeared on Steam, jump in fully intending to devote ourselves anew to an old pastime, and then because our lives have changed we just plain forget to play.

Multiply this by a thousand and this sort of behavior is harmful to a small, devoted community that gets excited when new people take an interest.

In any case, it seems to me that this might be a chance to do something unique: a new world, if you'll pardon the expression, with no connection to vanilla AO and periodic resets such as we see in the Diablo and Path of Exile seasons. This might seem an upsetting thing for an MMO, but it works well in Shadowbane, where full wipes of entire realms happen as a matter of course. This doesn't need to be as complicated as it might sound. Bring back Rimor, remove account restrictions and the cash shop, require Steam, make it free, wipe it once a year or once a month, and give the highest level player, the wealthiest player, and roleplay MVP lifetime accounts on Atlantean.

This is also a way to get those of us who subscribe at the Funcom site to participate on Steam without having to worry about migrating our Funcom accounts.

Meanwhile - get Steam users hooked on AO in the form of a limited-time contest, and you may well lure them over to the main game.
    Last edited by einexile; Jul 7th, 2016 at 22:42:13.

Quote Originally Posted by einexile View Post
    I've used Steam almost since the start, and though I like it I never attach my MMO accounts. Even when the relationship seems simple, often there are surprises having to do with account entanglement, availability of DLC, or other minutiae. This is especially true for a publisher that has several games on Steam already. That's not necessarily a vote of no confidence against Funcom, but trepidation about the way Steam handles third party accounts and RMT.

Note also Steam's draconian rules against cheating as well as "forbidden" topics of discussion. With Steam running I would frankly be terrified to use the third-party utilities Funcom allows, even though I know very well the risk is close to zero. This is not because I expect these programs to cause me trouble directly, but because with a large game library and poor habits about reading announcements, I guarantee I would not know if Funcom's policy changed because some Valve rule required it; and since I don't know how these utilities work, I'd be concerned constantly about some random other game reporting me to VAC because an AO utility inadvertently left a process running in the background after I closed it or because I had to kill it.

Under no circumstances would I ever attach my AO account to Steam.
    Probably because you don't seem to understand how it works. Most MMOs on Steam don't link your MMO account to your Steam account. All Steam does is open the launcher of the MMO. If you go and download Age of Conan on Steam and then try to play, it opens the Age of Conan launcher/patcher which handles everything else. The only thing Steam knows after that is that you're playing Age of Conan because the application is detected as running through the Steam client. You can download the stand-alone AoC client and use the same account and have literally zero interaction with Steam. Likewise, VAC only applies to games that are specifically VAC-protected, which no Funcom game is (or MMO as far as I'm aware). Having AO run through Steam wouldn't change anything about that entire situation. If you're running a program for AO that will flag VAC in a different game (extremely unlikely, but whatever we'll go along with your hypothetical) then it will flag VAC whether or not you're running AO through Steam or stand-alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    The new engine launches from Steam already, if you just add it as a non-steam game.
    Anything should. You can run Notepad from Steam as a non-Steam game if you want. You can even rename the process to fun things like "Half-Life 3" and that will be reported to all your friends as what you're playing. The old engine should work this way as well, though I haven't tested it, and naturally the overlay will almost certainly not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post

Anything should. You can run Notepad from Steam as a non-Steam game if you want. You can even rename the process to fun things like "Half-Life 3" and that will be reported to all your friends as what you're playing. The old engine should work this way as well, though I haven't tested it, and naturally the overlay will almost certainly not work.
    I have, it doesn't lol
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by einexile View Post
    But maybe you all would, which is why I stress an even more important concern: Very often there is the expectation of a bump in interest when an old game joins Steam, and usually you'll see an initial rush of new blood. But those people tend to wander off to the next Steam flavor-of-the-week, or back to their staple Valve games.

Multiply this by a thousand and this sort of behavior is harmful to a small, devoted community that gets excited when new people take an interest.
    Decent point, expose the die hard AO players to all the new shiny games on steam. A good bulk have probably never even heard of steam. Not that it matters but I would imagine steam probably is a mixed bad of short term good for long term bad.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Intro : The publicity these days is not done by yourself.

So ... I was watching some twitch the other day, like I always do from time to time. Going to the "games" I saw an absolutely crepuscular game having like 100k viewers and I thought "WTF ?!" - entered the stream ofc. Some guy / guys were streaming that game. They got like 2mil followers and 100k viewers.

The point is : want some publicity ? Get some really really popular streamers to play your game ! How ? Well ... you give them a life-time account ofc and some creds (what were you thinking ?). I suppose 10-20k will do the job (yep $, what were you thinking ?).
    And at some point you'll see an AO stream having like 50k viewers - nice.

Is just an idea ... maybe not the best, but not the worst either...
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

Please revamp the LFT search window. Bring back the LFG/LFT chat channels. I rarely see anyone on LFT below 100. Playing as Omni I hardly seen any chat, so the perception is given that the game is dead. We need to encourage team play as the game seems to only be solo. When I logged on to my 201 fixer that is where all the activity is happening.

Improve the GMI search. Trying to buy a weapon and get the spelling wrong which yields no responses. Then some of us are forced to google what we want to buy. Hint *Looking at alien weapons*.

Find a way to improve performance on both old and new client. Pretty sad that my old single core AMD CPU can run this game better than on my new outdated AMD quad-core CPU.

These are just few thoughts I have. I used to play hardcore from 2001-2003 then on and off till now. I enjoy the game but I dislike waiting for hours to find OS buffs or even find a team. Player shop no thanks not spending real money so I can twink my characters.

So in a recent patch it was stated that most conds/turrets would now be store buyable. Im a grenade engi. And the Guardian Conductor of Plunders not being store buyable but every other cond is really blows. Is it a general grenade hate thing going on with AO devs or what....? Just trying to figure out how this lone cond missed the update.

And thus we say good bye to the Nomads, we shall see ye next year! (hopefully)
    Characters:
    Legendfluff (with many accounts of froobs)

Froob Level 5 Collar: http://i.imgur.com/I19c92X.jpg
    Froob atrox Lv5 Collar: http://i.imgur.com/2zVqTX9.jpg

With the onset of awakened beast armor, we can now equip Alpha chest on Atrox Soldiers & Alpha Brain on Atrox Doctors.

Hi all,

You can insta relog same account when you 2x alt f4 and still see unlogged toon and buff it with another toon from same account, no more "player already logged" error message ....

Kr,
    Esti

You can? Since when? When I try to log in when my previous character is still alive on server, I get an error message stating "player already logged in" or words to the effect of.Doesn't let me log back in until the character has despawned.
    The only things of importance you will ever find in this life are only those things which you place importance upon!

I believe Anarod means when you logon the second toon, the toon you F4'd may still be in game residually and you can buff before the toon disappears. This would only work if your toons are logged at the same point.

I haven't tried it myself, but that's the way I'm reading it.
    'The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.' - Steven Wright

Ofab grenade Launcher Please, Or make sloth of the xan upgrade-able the same way Lust is upgrade-able. engi is the only class with grenade perks/support but The weapons are lacking.

a grenade weapon that proc something useful along the line of the dreadloch weapons would be an idea, The dreadloch Oblit by description should have a stun tied to its proc not a very small/unnoticeable/not useable -250 init

Grenade weapons should have Fragmentation grenade proc without the taunt, in my opinion.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

I would like to see some more viable weapon setups at endgame.

Ranged+melee option.
    2hPierce: a halberd or a long spear.
    Shield +1he/me/whatever.
    Energy shields.
    Some weapons based on ability stats: An examble could be a psionic blaster for the MP, attack rating Psychic*2.
    A robotic interface for the engi, that gives the option to buff the pets, constantly every 10sec, maybe. Instead of having an actual weapon. Buffing the pets could be a mix between Intelligence and tradeskills. For a much higher/effecient pet. (I DO know engi pets are in a really great spot, but its just an idea)

I know there are cookiecutter people out there, and they will never change out of bis. But to all the rest of us, AO is diversity, Twinking and awesomeness. More options to look and be unique is more than welcome in my book.
    First NT to proper pocket Ely hecks - Raesun

Yea, even just what we have now with the new research, some things that were just barely not possible before are now.

I see Advy as a great platform for testing new options, because they have very low cost on most weapon skills. I think we can all agree that the Jobe pistol is a sorry excuse for an endgame weapon, so some new innovations would be welcome there anyway.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast