Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q4 Financial Report for 2016... It's dead Jim.

Q4 Financial Report for 2016... It's dead Jim.

https://www.funcom.com/investors/fun...eport_for_2016

- For Anarchy Online, the Item Store was revamped, a Winter celebration and a Christmas sale event were launched, several bugs and exploits were fixed and the game was released on Steam. No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward.

- The Live Games – The Secret World®*, Anarchy Online®* and Age of Conan™ – were the major contributors to the revenues.

- Company strategy: Leveraging and growing the internal Intellectual Properties such as Anarchy Online, The Longest Journey and The Secret World for both internal and 3rd party licensing for both games and other non-interactive entertainment

My note: From what I understand, they are profiting on a loss with their Online games:
    Revenue from external customers: January - December
    Profit (loss) before tax (from continuing operations) -2,822 (*1000 thousands)

I assume this shatters any hope development might pick up on the game. We're going to be on life support until the powers that be will deem it not enough.
    Last edited by Timba; Feb 28th, 2017 at 00:06:13.
    Anarchy Online Concept Art Gallery
    Lazy "Timba" Sabretooth - 220/30/80 - Fire kitty
    Very "Timbats" Much - 220/22/xx - Tradeskiller for hire!
    Timbamf - xx/xx/xx - upcoming tanky
    Spray "Airwick" Alloveryou - 60/6/14

Also applies to AoC

Honestly though, who here didn't see the writing on the wall when Michi went silent?

Guess that means no sub deals. No exploit fixes. What an end...

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Just cancelled both of my subscriptions.

Please "Xzeep" It - Atrox Fixer - 220/30
    Dictator of Small Hands of Trump

Please "Halpme" - Nanomage Enforcer - 220/30
    "Tolerable" - Nanomage Adv - 220/30

Well it is official. AO is dead. It has been a long time. But its official. No new content, just stagnation. No vet can or should reasonably grind 7+ year old content. Now it is time to hand this game over to the Stewbs (steam newbs).

I just read that, can't believe they are abandoning AO. A sad day ...

Cancelled my subs a while ago, this just means I won't think twice of resubbing xD
    "Meliz" Crat
    "Snoopdooog" MA
    "Melizabe" Sol
    "Hozpital" Arguably best 2016 doc
    "Sleekiez" The swiftest meeper ingame!
    "Cruzade" Will see you!
    "Stitmeistr" TL5 Enf
    "Cruzad3" 86 Agent
    "Treatmate" 86 Enf
    "Dankengine1" 39 Nanite FP Trader
    "Behekills" 21 Enf

Or check out our Informational Site
    Or apply today Rebirth Forums

You are reading the financial report and interpreting financial language as real language. You have little idea what "significant work" in the financial report means. Sure, it probably means no expansion, but who was really expecting that anyway?

With the recent surge of players it's not far fetched to assume that we will get better GM support as more people are being hired to support all the games. Don't forget that some of the hardest cuts to AO staffing was when FC had to restructure the entire company. It works the other way around too.

If you read a bit further, you'll find under strategy:

Additionally, the company will keep developing and supporting the existing MMORPGs as they are an important source of revenue and drive the internal IPs.

http://jobs.funcom.com

Check out some of the open positions, and which project they belong to.

We need to find an insider to tell us more - use your imagination guys
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

Quote Originally Posted by Beornin View Post
    You are reading the financial report and interpreting financial language as real language. You have little idea what "significant work" in the financial report means. Sure, it probably means no expansion, but who was really expecting that anyway?

With the recent surge of players it's not far fetched to assume that we will get better GM support as more people are being hired to support all the games. Don't forget that some of the hardest cuts to AO staffing was when FC had to restructure the entire company. It works the other way around too.

If you read a bit further, you'll find under strategy:

Additionally, the company will keep developing and supporting the existing MMORPGs as they are an important source of revenue and drive the internal IPs.
    Well generally with a financial report, a company is going to feign stability and strong futures in order to gain the interest of investors. If a company is flat-out telling you that they're pretty much boned, that is a massive red flag to any investment firm. Funcom has been operating with either negative or near negative income for some time now; their troubles date back to 2008 and the company hasn't fully recovered since.

I'd ignore the Q4 report completely and wait for the Q1 report
    Conan Exiles was a financial success enough for the initial sales alone to keep the lights on in the company for a year or two.
    I also think, that if there is any positive cash flow from the Steam release, they might send someone down to the basement of legacy MMOs to fix a few things.

Start panicking when they pull the plug, you headless chickens
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

We had a "Christmas sale event"?
    /G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Some further reading: Massively Overpowered

It has surely been a good experience playing AO, with lots of fond memories. I'm absolutely not shouting doom and gloom, but I will not continue to invest money in a game put in maintenance mode. I have roughly 6 more months until my membership runs out, and I think I'll take this opportunity to explore locations off the beaten path more. It's long overdue, really. Especially on Rubi-Ka
    Izgimmy
    [220/30/80 Nano Technician]
    Dellingr
    [220/30/72 Engineer]
    Avalinn
    [220/30/80 Doctor]

Plus many more...
    Tiralinn
    [220/30/78 Bureaucrat]

I'm surprised that AO had such a lifetime. There is so much you can modernize without either dropping the core game or upsetting the few paying players left.

The saving grace of AO is the social aspect of the game that modern MMO do not have. I'd love to see an AO2 but will it conserve what made AO so good?
    Last edited by Boltgun; Feb 28th, 2017 at 11:39:38.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun View Post
    I'm surprised that AO had such a lifetime. There is so much you can modernize without either dropping the core game or upsetting the few paying players left.

The saving grace of AO is the social aspect of the game that modern MMO do not have. I'd love to see an AO2 but will it conserve what made AO so good?
    Make AO from scratch with new graphics/animations and call it AO2, most bugs/exploits are possible because of the really outdated code. I'd be more than happy with that, I'd be the first to buy a sub

To be fair, there hasn't been any real development for years now already.

"But, hold on a sec... What about The Reck, PoH, 18.7, and the new engine?!"

Well, the Reck zone has technically been around for years now, just not accessible. As I understand, PoH is the same thing. The zones existed, but weren't used for years or at all. 18.7 was largely done by Genele, and was worked on years ago itself. The new engine was mostly Macrosun's work.

So, personally, I don't think there's been "Significant" work or development since Michi took over anyway. He's done a great job, but not really substantial himself, in my opinion.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun View Post
    I'd love to see an AO2 but will it conserve what made AO so good?
    Nope.
    1) There will never be an AO2. (Heck, even The Repopulation won't be going anywhere after the backend drama)
    2) From what I see, the average MMO player today is biased towards lobby games and instant gratification.
    No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendaar View Post
    2) From what I see, the average MMO player today is biased towards lobby games and instant gratification.
    So true
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Regardless of everything, AO has not had any teeth sinking content since LoX. It has just been flavor of the month instances. If you look at other MMOs when they make new content, level cap goes up, new armor and weapons come out and higher monster level. AO has done a tremendous amount of work with the low tier to mid tier game which is awesome, but thats not how to retain high level players and veterans. Sadly, power creep and perpetual grinding and new abilities are what make an MMO interesting and re-playable and AO has underdeveloped those aspects. By developing an MMO properly you retain players and you get new players thus meaning more money. AO has had a lot of short comings with development of the engine and balance and if I had a time machine to go back to 2006 (or was it 2007) to tell myself that the engine wouldn't see the light of day until 2014 (closed beta or was it 2013 I forget its been so long) and not publicly accessible in an open beta format until 2015 then it would tell me that development of this game is very lacking and I would GTFO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast