Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anarchy Online's Future.

Anarchy Online's Future.

As of yesterday Anarchy Online and Age Of Conan have been put in maintenance mode.

This means that the games will no longer receive major updates and the current situation will remain unchanged.
    Exploiters will getting away with everything.
    Instead, they put all their efforts in The Secret World which as far as I know has a smaller player-base then Anarchy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Staff members and more have been moved over to The Secret World which will be receiving a re-launch.

I have a feeling that this just means that they are preparing Anarchy Online to die.

Personally? I think FunCom should put a combined-priority to both TSW and AO. AO has so much potential and could be an amazing game if FunCom would allow it to be..

Please share your thoughts with me!
    Prepare for trouble & make it double!

Hellenah 220/30 Doc
    Redberri 220/30 Enfo
    Zemorah 220/30 Adv
    Loreen 220/24 Engi
    Meepingnora 220/24 Fix
    Abeja 220/22 Crat
    Olindria 220/22 Soldier
    Squishyz 220/21 Shade
    Olinamina 220/19 Keep
    Queenora 220/18 MA
    Nucckingfuts 220/17 Crat
    Littleminion 220/13 Agent
    Olindra 215/17 Trad
    Olibanana 215/10 MP
    Jinglebombz 200/18 Crat

My thoughts? They better change their business model real quick, cause they'll be losing subs like there's no tomorrow.

Hey, wait... there IS no tomorrow! :-)

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreen View Post
    As of yesterday Anarchy Online and Age Of Conan have been put in maintenance mode.

This means that the games will no longer receive major updates and the current situation will remain unchanged.
    Exploiters will getting away with everything.
    Instead, they put all their efforts in The Secret World which as far as I know has a smaller player-base then Anarchy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Staff members and more have been moved over to The Secret World which will be receiving a re-launch.

I have a feeling that this just means that they are preparing Anarchy Online to die.

Personally? I think FunCom should put a combined-priority to both TSW and AO. AO has so much potential and could be an amazing game if FunCom would allow it to be..

Please share your thoughts with me!
    Unfortunately, TSW has a much larger and more active playerbase with room for growth as it is a newer game, better graphics, better support, etc. There is no reason to put staff on the AO project anymore. If they wanted to save the game, the time to do it was around 2008 or 2009 and that ship has long sailed. All MMOs will eventually die and now it's AO's time to ride off into the sunset. Or abyss, I'm not sure which yet. Take a look at Funcom's Q4 financial report, AoC and AO are starting to hurt them. The writing was on the wall for quite a few years that AO was on a swift downward spiral towards maintenance.

This is true, but I think it could have lived for longer.

Hellenah 220/30 Doc
    Redberri 220/30 Enfo
    Zemorah 220/30 Adv
    Loreen 220/24 Engi
    Meepingnora 220/24 Fix
    Abeja 220/22 Crat
    Olindria 220/22 Soldier
    Squishyz 220/21 Shade
    Olinamina 220/19 Keep
    Queenora 220/18 MA
    Nucckingfuts 220/17 Crat
    Olindra 215/17 Trad
    Olibanana 215/10 MP
    Jinglebombz 200/18 Crat

This is true, but I think it could have lived for longer.
    I think at this point, the longer the game lives the more its legacy will be tarnished.

I believe this is all, normal "let's blow the next thing on the radar out of proportion", forum drama.

Let's clarify a few things:
    1. The game's not shutting down. Not today, not tomorrow, probably not next year.
    2. The statement that's been floating around is "No further ***significant*** work is expected to be done on this project going forward." This has already been true for years, now they're admitting it.
    3. Seems no one read the actual report. They quite clearly say "Additionally, the company will keep developing and supporting the existing MMORPG's (Plural, mind you), as they are an important source of revenue and drive the internal IP's." Or, to put it simply, it's still cash flow positive.
    4. People so eager to announce they're /wrist'ing their subs are just drama queens looking for attention. No, we really don't care.

Reality is, Funcom needs to focus on surviving as a company, and telling investors... "We know the game is old, but we're going to keep it going because a bunch of people still really like it." isn't really a bad thing.

TL;DR - Literally nothing is different. It's just a report stating what we already know.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

I hope they will remain active with this game. It would be a shame to see it go. =)

Hellenah 220/30 Doc
    Redberri 220/30 Enfo
    Zemorah 220/30 Adv
    Loreen 220/24 Engi
    Meepingnora 220/24 Fix
    Abeja 220/22 Crat
    Olindria 220/22 Soldier
    Squishyz 220/21 Shade
    Olinamina 220/19 Keep
    Queenora 220/18 MA
    Nucckingfuts 220/17 Crat
    Olindra 215/17 Trad
    Olibanana 215/10 MP
    Jinglebombz 200/18 Crat

There's also this: In any company in the western world it's "business as usual" until the day when it's not, and then it's not.
    So of course they will "keep developing and supporting the existing MMORPG's".

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Here's the good thing: We already were in near-maintenance mode and managing to get some people to return while getting some new players.

Here's the bad thing: If FC didn't consider us to already be in maintenance mode we have serious issues.

My order of importance:

* Exploits ... the investors likely think based on that report that they're fixed. We know better.

* New Engine ... NEEDs a dev to be able to fix the crash bug. And since we know that after a lot of crashes you can still play for a bit, the crash shouldn't be that hard to look into. My guess is it is in the UI layer.

* Login server ... has been suffering lately. More people? Hope so. Maybe a DDoS from someone fairly inept. Either way, it needs ... maintenance

If they'll commit to those being considered part of "maintenance mode", then I sort of welcome it. We know where things stand now and can play/not play accordingly.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

It's weird, it seems like there's two extremist camps when it comes to this news: the zealots who will never believe AO will shut down ever and it deserves more monetary investment and the doomsday satists that are unsubbing and thinking AO is closing right now. The truth easily lies somewhere in the middle. People need to understand that Funcom is a business, perhaps a shoddy one, and AO is a VERY old game. Most games never survive this long! People unsub, but I'm sure the game is the same today as it was the day before Funcom posted about the Q4 earnings/losses. The game is most definitely nearing its end, when a company is operating something at a loss, that isnt a project worth sustaining anymore especially if it's not going to improve in the future. I dont know why so many people dont understand that a game from 2002 that has received minimal attention over the past 8 or 9 years isnt going to just bounce back.

Agreed. That's why I say we've been in maintenance mode for awhile.

If you've been playing recently ... nothing really changed. The thing that might have changed would be the player's expectation that something would change once Steam was launched. Now we know that expectation was false ... but nothing changed.

If you haven't been playing recently ... something did change ... you saw that AO at least has commitment to stay online in maintenance mode for awhile. That player might have had the expectation of more content before they returned. Now they know whether there will be or not (there won't) and so can choose to return if you want to play again in that one-last-hurrah (which is where I landed) or say "nah, I got all that done, I'm out".

People who unsubscribe purely because of this, and mean it (many don't, I unsub after every payment so I can send in a gripe note about what needs fixing and so I don't forget to kill the recurring payment), have just been looking for an excuse and were probably close to leaving soon anyway.

The big thing that would help stop any of the last category would be FC defining what maintenance mode is and hopefully including those few bug/server fixes as "maintenance" (which they should be, as they are things that are broken).

And the thing that will lose AO the most players is FC not bothering to define maintenance mode and just allowing the game to die quicker instead of lingering through a long but successful maintenance series.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

The other thing worth pointing out is, "maintenance mode" is an artificial statement. Literally no place has that been said by Funcom.

Anyways, it's fair to say Funcom's report somewhat contradicts itself, so there's room for the wild theories of doomsday approaching sooner, than later. It's like telling someone they're going to die "soon". Some people would likely lose their minds and go luny, some would outright deny it, some would question it and read the fine print to get a clearer idea. Well, everyone here knows what "soon" means in Funcom terms.

So, let's say, realistically speaking, the game will die soon(tm).

[disclaimer - The word "soon" is used in relative Funcom terms... Expect "soon" to mean anywhere within the next 2-7 years].
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkera View Post
    The other thing worth pointing out is, "maintenance mode" is an artificial statement. Literally no place has that been said by Funcom.

Anyways, it's fair to say Funcom's report somewhat contradicts itself, so there's room for the wild theories of doomsday approaching sooner, than later. It's like telling someone they're going to die "soon". Some people would likely lose their minds and go luny, some would outright deny it, some would question it and read the fine print to get a clearer idea. Well, everyone here knows what "soon" means in Funcom terms.

So, let's say, realistically speaking, the game will die soon(tm).

[disclaimer - The word "soon" is used in relative Funcom terms... Expect "soon" to mean anywhere within the next 2-7 years].
    That's actually a very very good point!

Hellenah 220/30 Doc
    Redberri 220/30 Enfo
    Zemorah 220/30 Adv
    Loreen 220/24 Engi
    Meepingnora 220/24 Fix
    Abeja 220/22 Crat
    Olindria 220/22 Soldier
    Squishyz 220/21 Shade
    Olinamina 220/19 Keep
    Queenora 220/18 MA
    Nucckingfuts 220/17 Crat
    Olindra 215/17 Trad
    Olibanana 215/10 MP
    Jinglebombz 200/18 Crat

Yea, and I'm not trying to sound like a jerk to any one person, but people get REALLY worked up over things here. But, I'd say we can consider that's coming from the people who are super passionate about the game. They've played forever, and if you put a time limit on that, suddenly the reality that it's not going to be around forever hits home.

The other thing that report says, and that has come straight from the CEO's mouth about a year ago, if Funcom believes they can no longer support the games, they would look into making it available to third parties because they don't want them to die either! Could that lead to someone else taking over, and a miraculous revitalization of AO in the future? Yea, absolutely could be.

For those of us that want to see the game around a while longer, we can keep hope alive. It's not over.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

I love this game. It has effected a big part of my life. My experiences ingame have changed who I am IRL. My characters have a little bit of me in them, and when the game dies, part of me will go with it.

If they decide to put ao into maintanence mode, they sure as hell need to get rid of the subscription and just go with the itemshop revenue. I'm sure that covers a lot of server costs (Not the new itemshop though, it sucks balls).

They should also fix some well known bugs/exploits/balance issues/engine issues before they should settle for that.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

I've done some research together with my bf, and FunCom will support AO as long as AO remains active. So let's keep it active =)

Hellenah 220/30 Doc
    Redberri 220/30 Enfo
    Zemorah 220/30 Adv
    Loreen 220/24 Engi
    Meepingnora 220/24 Fix
    Abeja 220/22 Crat
    Olindria 220/22 Soldier
    Squishyz 220/21 Shade
    Olinamina 220/19 Keep
    Queenora 220/18 MA
    Nucckingfuts 220/17 Crat
    Olindra 215/17 Trad
    Olibanana 215/10 MP
    Jinglebombz 200/18 Crat

Cut the crap ... this game will never die ! Is freakin' immortal ...

Right now - log in and see it's very alive. Look on lft, go in ICC in Bor - full of ppl. Go on newbie channels - they are alive, they are discussing, asking,teaming, doing quests.

Tonight I did some very nice inf old hard mishs with people actually playing not with afk-ers and team was full and they were playing with "hunger".
    Prior I passed thru pandemonium entrance and Alliance was prepairing to do a Beast raid and some others were going to do Gauntlet - I have print-screen with Pande entrance full of people.
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

I've done some research together with my bf, and FunCom will support AO as long as AO remains active. So let's keep it active =)
    keep fixing sploits and we'll keep it active
    "Meliz" Crat
    "Snoopdooog" MA
    "Melizabe" Sol
    "Hozpital" Arguably best 2016 doc
    "Sleekiez" The swiftest meeper ingame!
    "Cruzade" Will see you!
    "Stitmeistr" TL5 Enf
    "Cruzad3" 86 Agent
    "Treatmate" 86 Enf
    "Dankengine1" 39 Nanite FP Trader
    "Behekills" 21 Enf

Or check out our Informational Site
    Or apply today Rebirth Forums

I seriously hope that Funcom will have the decency to announce The End at least a year in advance. Imagine if someone would buy a 1-year subscription then the server shuts down a month after. Though FC will just probably refund those, otherwise they would face a nice class action lawsuit

Anyway, I think crying "THE END IS NEIGH!!!" is completely moronic until there is an official communication about it.

However FC is also moronic not to make the effort to spit in a one-liner: "Hey guys, we don't plan to close AO anytime soon and we will keep fixing bugs"
    I dunno why they don't communicate this, it is practically free, keeps the morale of players high.
    This policy of silence is just simply stupid.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast