Thread: AO on AMD Ryzen

AO on AMD Ryzen

Anyone tried yet? Not generally a great gaming cpu but AO isn't really your average game. Wondering if maybe the high core count helps with multilogging.

Any input welcome.

Cheers.

Ao seems to ignore core count. Favouring high single core speed and memory bandwidth.
    This is true of old and new clients.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

It's probably gonna be pretty much the same as running AO on Broadwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    Ao seems to ignore core count. Favouring high single core speed and memory bandwidth.
    This is true of old and new clients.
    Hmm that's not my experience at all. I find that on a dual core machine, two clients (old) runs fine but anything over that is no fun at all. Same thing with the 4790K i use. Four clients is "ok" but over that, baddd slowdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    It's probably gonna be pretty much the same as running AO on Broadwell.
    Are you talking about Broadwell or Broadwell-E? And what does "same" mean?

A bit lower performance per core, but better multitasking capabilities. It should be pretty straightforward. If 2 cores lets you run 2 clients smoothly and 4 cores lets you run 4 clients smoothly, then yes it's likely that 8 cores will let you run 8 clients smoothly. My point was that a higher than 4 core count is nothing new, so the experience from other high core count processors is probably transferrable.

(But don't ask me, I'm still playing on a 2500k)
    Last edited by Phargus; Mar 18th, 2017 at 14:18:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    A bit lower performance per core, but better multitasking capabilities. It should be pretty straightforward. If 2 cores lets you run 2 clients smoothly and 4 cores lets you run 4 clients smoothly, then yes it's likely that 8 cores will let you run 8 clients smoothly. My point was that a higher than 4 core count is nothing new, so the experience from other high core count processors is probably transferrable.

(But don't ask me, I'm still playing on a 2500k)
    Likely, yes but by no means a sure thing.

I was thinking it would be a cool thing if someone were to benchmark different setups for the game as well. AMD vs Nvidia and different price levels of cards etc.

I just watched a video on the AMD Ryzen and is explained the differences to AMD's current lineup.

What's I learnt:
    * Previous AMD chips had 1 floating-point unit shared between every two cores. The Ryzen cores get their own FPUs.
    * The AMD Ryzen has an analogue to Intel's hyper-threading that they call multi-threading.

If it's all really that simple, then AMD Ryzen chips should have a very noticeable improvement on AO clients compared to old AMD chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Psithief View Post
    I just watched a video on the AMD Ryzen and is explained the differences to AMD's current lineup.

What's I learnt:
    * Previous AMD chips had 1 floating-point unit shared between every two cores. The Ryzen cores get their own FPUs.
    * The AMD Ryzen has an analogue to Intel's hyper-threading that they call multi-threading.

If it's all really that simple, then AMD Ryzen chips should have a very noticeable improvement on AO clients compared to old AMD chips.
    Ryzen definitely performs significantly better in all fields compared to the old chips. However with AO there are no guarantees. It's not like new hardware is designed to run 15 year old software well.

My overclocked i7 3770K (5Ghz OC) runs 7 clients with no hitching or lag. I have a second machine I use sometimes that is a i7 4770K that has a slower OC (4Ghz). And it cant run more than 5 (fluidly). It's not a ryzen, but that can give you insight to the per core frequency clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphisraves View Post
    My overclocked i7 3770K (5Ghz OC) runs 7 clients with no hitching or lag. I have a second machine I use sometimes that is a i7 4770K that has a slower OC (4Ghz). And it cant run more than 5 (fluidly). It's not a ryzen, but that can give you insight to the per core frequency clock.
    Heya. What kinda gfx cards, storage and memory do you have in those systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post
    Heya. What kinda gfx cards, storage and memory do you have in those systems?
    Both machines are completely identical minus the cpu's.

Ram: 16gb G.Skill DDR3-1600
    SSD's: OS on 256gb Samsung 850 EVO / Games on 1tb 850 EVO
    GPU: EVGA 980 Ti FTW
    Mobo: EVGA Z77 FTW
    Last edited by Memphisraves; Mar 19th, 2017 at 01:22:43.

Just wanted to add, since we're talking MB, that the new engine does this a lot better than the old. I'm on a 4690k @ 4.6GHz and can have problems running 6 clients in old engine, and get pretty bad framerate even if I manage to log in all 6, but with new engine I can run at least 7 and have a smooth framerate.
    More cores will always help with MB, and hyperthreading/SMT also helps.

As a Ryzen 1700 owner, I can tell you with personal experience that running AO on Ryzen is woeful, and totally expected. Ryzen's strength is multi-core/multi-thread and doesn't have the high single-thread performance of Intels. AO (new or old both) run on a single thread so it's terrible. My old 3570k overclocked was much better on AO. If I wanted to run multiple clients then my Ryzen would be great for that, but I don't.

I'm much happier with my Ryzen system though for my other games and other multi-tasking stuff I do. It's crazy being able to run a VM, handbrake processing a x265 video, and play games at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Malosar View Post
    As a Ryzen 1700 owner, I can tell you with personal experience that running AO on Ryzen is woeful, and totally expected. Ryzen's strength is multi-core/multi-thread and doesn't have the high single-thread performance of Intels. AO (new or old both) run on a single thread so it's terrible. My old 3570k overclocked was much better on AO. If I wanted to run multiple clients then my Ryzen would be great for that, but I don't.

I'm much happier with my Ryzen system though for my other games and other multi-tasking stuff I do. It's crazy being able to run a VM, handbrake processing a x265 video, and play games at the same time.
    That's not as much an AMD problem as it is a multicore problem. I have a it 5820k, fps can still drop to 40 in certain areas. But I can run 16 clients and no client will dip much lower than that.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

I'm running a Ryzen 1700 now

Prior was FX 8370/RX480 combo that ran either engine at 30-60 fps (I lock to vsync) with ICC the worst at around 15-30 fps

Ryxen 1700 @ 3.7GHz w/ the same RX 480 and 16gb 2667 DDR4 now caps 60 fps everywhere in the game, so huge improvement overall.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyralyon View Post
    Just wanted to add, since we're talking MB, that the new engine does this a lot better than the old. I'm on a 4690k @ 4.6GHz and can have problems running 6 clients in old engine, and get pretty bad framerate even if I manage to log in all 6, but with new engine I can run at least 7 and have a smooth framerate.
    More cores will always help with MB, and hyperthreading/SMT also helps.

How can you manage to run all 6 toons on the new engine without having the crash problem. I have try it so many times to run MB on the new engine and after 5-15 minutes i always get crashed in half of my toons .

upgrade from a fx8320 to a ryzen 1600 still with my old 750ti , I run 4-5 clients at a time when buffing up, and it runs better than before with nice constant fps.
    What it doesnt like is if you forces the clients to run on each their own core, but that seems to be more a nvidia driver issue than ryzen, textures and models doesnt load etc .

You're talking about the new client, right? The new client is just barely multicore, it loads models/textures on the second core.