Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting development underway again?

Talking Getting development underway again?

Hi guys,

Nostalgia and talking about this game to people finally got the better of me. I thought I would come to the forums, got a feel for how the game was doing ... and it seems to be in a coma with a finger twitch here and there.

Funding and returns on investment

What if we approach Funcom about crowd funding devs?
    (I have already put in two months subscription just to write this post (subbed the wrong account because you can't tell what toons are on it from the account page, didn't I?) P.S. If anyone needs help running AO on Linux, I am willing to help.)

• We could run a poll for what type of dev we want most;
      e.g.coding (bugs, database, etc), content (making more stuff with what is available), graphics (textures and meshes variety).
    • Then we fund that dev.
    • End of each week, they do a Twitch steam demonstrating what they have achieved and can receive tips (they also get to keep what might become a valuable stream channel)
    • Possibly (this is Funcom after all ) our subs could be discounted because we are growing the AO asset.
    • We can run polls on what the dev(s) work on next when each project is complete. Democratic development.
    • Possibly we could "borrow" a dev from one of the other teams, one that knows AO already and if this project fails they can go back to their job in that team.

What do you guys think? Worth a shot?

"There is always hope. Even the word, 'hopeless,' is not devoid of hope." - Blinkous 'Blinky' Galadrigal(Trollhunters)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshey View Post
    They could also just sell either SL or AI expansion on Steam for $5.
    Load of people will go for a game just because it is cheap and all the people on Steam asking, "Will it run on my craptop?" can get an affirmative reply.
    Last edited by Jenshey; Apr 19th, 2018 at 18:56:48.
    Please make androgynous Atroxes. (Yes, Jen, this is you main sl00b account, (since you can't tell toons from acc page but can see forum name))
    Make opifex ears more pointy in the new engine.
    Venachar: Taking feedback from this forum would be like starting a bottled water company, sourced from Chernobyl.

So basically, you're advocating that people who are already paying one of the highest subscription fees in the industry should pay even more just to keep that game alive a little longer?

I would work on AO for free few hours per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    So basically, you're advocating that people who are already paying one of the highest subscription fees in the industry should pay even more just to keep that game alive a little longer?
    How would you **convince Funcom** to let go of their free cash cow before it is completely dead or breath some life back into it?
    Please make androgynous Atroxes. (Yes, Jen, this is you main sl00b account, (since you can't tell toons from acc page but can see forum name))
    Venachar: Taking feedback from this forum would be like starting a bottled water company, sourced from Chernobyl.

So, AAA subscription cost PLUS the in-game Item Shop and now a gofundme for some Dev attention...

Yeah, how about **** that.

+1 for wanting more Dev action, you're definitely not alone in that regard but the thought of having to pay EVEN MORE on top of the already high sub cost AND the item shop is just triple offensive.

Also, regarding your last point, I do believe that was the rallying cry from FunCom during the big Dev layoff's. AO would "share" developer resources...Yeah, that's really worked out so very well for us being that the only input we've seen from anyone is some very late action on literal game breaking exploits, months after the events...

We're basically cash-cows being milked. Moo Moo Moo.
    Last edited by Aiken; Apr 18th, 2018 at 00:42:54.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    Also, regarding your last point, I do believe that was the rallying cry from FunCom during the big Dev layoff's. AO would "share" developer resources...Yeah, that's really worked out so very well for us being that the only input we've seen from anyone is some very late action on literal game breaking exploits, months after the events...
    Yup. However, in my case they have to demo what they have done each week or we cut the funding. If funding just drops off anyway, they can go back to their other team. Job security and results.

How would you **convince Funcom** to let go of their free cash cow before it is completely dead or breath some life back into it?
    I wouldn't even try.

I love AO and hate the though of it shutting down as much as the next person, but I also understand the difficulties involved with maintaining such an ancient code base, especially for a company that is struggling financially and desperately needs to focus on producing a hit game.

AO had a good run and I had a lot of fun playing it but you know what they say, all good things must end, and MMORPGs are no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    ... especially for a company that is struggling financially and desperately needs to focus on producing a hit game. ...
    https://forums.anarchy-online.com/sh...cials-for-2017

I bet that we've reached the stage where FC employees take a shot every time someone posts on the AO forums. So "Cheers!".

Quote Originally Posted by Kesher View Post
    I bet that we've reached the stage where FC employees take a shot every time someone posts on the AO forums. So "Cheers!".
    I remember when posts in this section would get pushed onto other pages within hours.

They could also just sell either SL or AI expansion on Steam for $5.
    Load of people will go for a game just because it is cheap and all the people on Steam asking, "Will it run on my craptop?" can get an affirmative reply.

People that train mobs and don't help kill them aren't helping the game either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesher View Post
    unfortunately, I am still very much sober.

there was also that facebook poll about a new server..... maybe we will hear about what that was about in the near future.......

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post

there was also that facebook poll about a new server..... maybe we will hear about what that was about in the near future.......
    Another shot for you then!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    Give me your address in private messages and I will change that.

... and WhoTF uses Farcebook these days?

Guys, can you all write down elements that make you love AO? As a few of you already know i am building a RPG scifi game very similar to AO in nature.

Here are some key features that is already implemented:
    - NCU system (its called NuronCells)
    - Perks
    - Proc system
    - IPS leveling system (its called Paragon of virtue)
    - Landscapes and monster in Shadowland style (different story and difference design)
    - Cyberpunk
    - Hovercrafts (many, you right click from inventory)
    - Item driven game
    - Weaponswapping
    - Stats item twinking
    What did i miss? I could need your guys help, as we all love AO.

Check out more to come at www.cyclonex.net (lots of content not uploaded there yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU7Y...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by ByLogic; Apr 22nd, 2018 at 14:37:24.

People that train mobs and don't help kill them aren't helping the game either.
    This irritates me to no end.
    [Vicinity] Hilfy: Expecting?
    [Vicinity] Redtricks: Pregnant? No.

Just a fyi:The way your site is set up the character on the left blocks the Youtube controls:
    Like this

->Sethic 220/30!/70 - Equip - Tetnman - Proud President of TETN / Hunter of Gridmonkeys - Atlantean
    ->Grittlez 2xx/29/6* - Equip - ex155.
    ->Vaithic 150/20/** - Equip - Euthanasia through means of oversized cannons (ETMOSC tm).
    ->Vaithe 150/15 - Sleeping...
    ->Wrangletit - Billy Bob Monocle - Grumpy salestrox and carry-all.
    -> Some alts not worth mentioning

TETN <3
    Server first to say "GUUUHUHUHUHN" out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethic View Post
    Just a fyi:The way your site is set up the character on the left blocks the Youtube controls:
    Like this
    Yeah a whole new webpage is comming up soon + we are moving tihngs over to the steam direct page soon. Just click the youtube link below. thank you for the clarification.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Apr 23rd, 2018 at 17:57:21.

Quote Originally Posted by ByLogic View Post
    Guys, can you all write down elements that make you love AO? As a few of you already know i am building a RPG scifi game very similar to AO in nature.

Here are some key features that is already implemented:
    - NCU system (its called NuronCells)
    - Perks
    - Proc system
    - IPS leveling system (its called Paragon of virtue)
    - Landscapes and monster in Shadowland style (different story and difference design)
    - Cyberpunk
    - Hovercrafts (many, you right click from inventory)
    - Item driven game
    - Weaponswapping
    - Stats item twinking
    What did i miss? I could need your guys help, as we all love AO.

Check out more to come at www.cyclonex.net (lots of content not uploaded there yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU7Y...ature=youtu.be
    Essentially? The original RK game.

What I love:
    • Equipment twinking
    • How well teams can work together.
    • Raid health bars.
    • Chat window flexibility.
    • IRC relays.
    • Darwin steps, like the old teleport tower and how players couldn't even reach the mainland if they couldn't work it out, read about it or ask someone standing right there.

What could be improved:
    • NPC's way of standing there and plucking at you until they or you die.
    • Inability to climb objects.
    • Empty places that don't grow or rot with the player-base.

What bugs me:
    • The item grind, too many rare things that are on random rolls, which you need for a twink build or appear only in Halloween.
    • XP grind and the level gaps. Too often new players between 60 - 150 had no hope of finding a team, for many years.
    • (The effort to reach 170 (if you aren't being kited) is enough and could be compressed into say 100 levels.)
    • Kiting / OSTs. (Bad AI)
    • Training. (Bad AI)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast