Thread: A better way to join teams...

A better way to join teams...

Shouting "*level* *profession* LFG" is becoming old. There could be a better way to join teams much faster and thus make gameplay more action and less sitting and waiting. My idea would be to make a menu or an access terminal that lists all the teams within your level range or a specified levle range that are in your area. Once you find one you want to join you can send a request as well as your shift-click information. This will make teams much much easier to create and get into. This would be an excellent thing to implement... If there's any questions I can answer them, I have this all planned out in my mind

Talking Hightech or not :P

Yay!! We want global clan/omni-tek/neutral recruitment boards instead of those stoneage chat channels

*click(signed up as looking for more)*

---------------------------
    Looking for team:
    Team 1 in Tir: [join request]
    name lvl prof
    name lvl prof
    name lvl prof
    name lvl prof
    Team 2 in West Athens: [join request]
    name lvl prof
    name lvl prof

Then the team is automatically removed when full, or by team leader typeing a comming like /remove for instance or when the entire team has left the zone, great idea StarBob :P
    I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I say.

This is a cool idea, but it needs to have all the features that people make use of. In particular, you will need options to indicate what profs the team is looking for, what sort of activity (hunting/missions) the team wants to do, maybe even specify a minimun time, so people don't leave half way through, indicate whether the team is restricted to twinks or experienced players, and finally have space for a descriptive text so people can add anything else they think is imporant.

I like DAOCs method of looking for a group with their automated thing. I think Funcom should do something similar with their game. After all its supposed to be far, far in the future. They would have better ways to comunicate than just shouting. I would think they could use the grid(their version of the internet I guess) to link up with people for grouping
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

*bump*... yet another self bump I must do to keep my great ideas flowing.

please elaborate

Originally posted by Bonk
    I like DAOCs method of looking for a group with their automated thing. I think Funcom should do something similar with their game. After all its supposed to be far, far in the future. They would have better ways to comunicate than just shouting. I would think they could use the grid(their version of the internet I guess) to link up with people for grouping
    what does daoc do?

oh and btw i was always miffed that you could not access the lfg channels in the grid since that is the only place i do not crash alot in

i like the general idea but am against all the suggested bells and whistles.

a pop up window with currently searching groups would be nice but that is about all that is needed, else you only lead people to wait for the perfect group and leave the gimped professions out in the cold even more then nowadays.

consider the professions that have the brick walls to repeatadly bash into until they become decent to ok, nobody would pick them if you could log in and tell the lfgbot "assemble me a perfect team".
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

ack your asking to much funcom doesent like to re-code :P

im kidding its a great idea
    Carmilla - 210 Shade
    Zerosnake - 220 Agent

Such a task would require the server to catalog all of the teams and the supplementary information, not to mention parse it every time someone requests a team, hence taxing the server more. Now its a pretty trivial load for the server, but they're not exactly working at 100% efficiency. It would be like holding a drowning baby's head underwater.
    Enri - Adventurer
    Paxton - Bureaucrat
    Proud Member of Clan Anarchist Syndicate

START SEEING the difference between a player and game designer

Forum Education!

Originally posted by Enri
    Such a task would require the server to catalog all of the teams and the supplementary information, not to mention parse it every time someone requests a team, hence taxing the server more. Now its a pretty trivial load for the server, but they're not exactly working at 100% efficiency. It would be like holding a drowning baby's head underwater.
    While there is a possibility that this will slow the servers, you must also look at the positive side. Not only will this be a great idea but will decrease server lag. People will no longer have to congregate in places like tir and such and lag the servers there. By the way, most of the lag in the game doesn't come from the servers but from the load of textures it has to load for each individual person and the polygons, funcom said that themselves. That's why they're making the crowd control patch. I'm sure that the positive outcome would much outweigh the negative and people would sacrifice a few frames per second to be able to join a team in a couple minutes rather than 10 or 20.

Why not have the LFT bot post in ALL areas, like the omnibot does?

That way you can just turn it off when youre not lft, and turn it on when you are.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Originally posted by StarBob

While there is a possibility that this will slow the servers, you must also look at the positive side. Not only will this be a great idea but will decrease server lag. People will no longer have to congregate in places like tir and such and lag the servers there. By the way, most of the lag in the game doesn't come from the servers but from the load of textures it has to load for each individual person and the polygons, funcom said that themselves. That's why they're making the crowd control patch. I'm sure that the positive outcome would much outweigh the negative and people would sacrifice a few frames per second to be able to join a team in a couple minutes rather than 10 or 20.
    Don't get me wrong, it would be a good feature and probably control crowds, but try telling that to those LAZY programmers
    Enri - Adventurer
    Paxton - Bureaucrat
    Proud Member of Clan Anarchist Syndicate

START SEEING the difference between a player and game designer

Forum Education!

Yeah but if the interface were better in this game it would make it much easier for new people to come to the game.

good idea
    ive had an idea to do with the teams as well and rather than make a new thread it hink it would be better here.

How about there is a whole new team system. Where each member of the team is actually assigned a roll (mezzer healer tank puller) then each member of the team would get xp based on their roll (as well as normal xp) so if a puller pulls a mob then he gets a bit of extra xp and for every heal a docor does he also gets some. This would also make things a little easier because a marker could be placed on the head of whoever the puller is attacking (also an "/assist puller" button could be made). Im not really bothered about the little details but just the basic idea that each team member is given a role which they choose upon entering the team (if anyone ever played team fortress classic youll know what i mean).
    Witeboog - Soldier RK2
    First to Pandemonium on RK2
    First into IS on RK2
    First into TOTW on RK2 First to 220 on RK2
    First to form an org on RK2 First to 200 on RK2
    First soldier with ql 200 Spasmodic Assault Rifle
    First omni on RK2 First post on forums
    First Grand Master on RK2
    First to PvP on RK2
    First to solo The Beast on RK2