Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About all the cries for Nerfs and Love

The problem is, is that every profession wants to be able to fight all other professions 1on1 and beat them 75%+ of the time.

I will never call for a nerf.....but do believe that some profession need some love from FC. But what I really think is FC needs to write a series of books.

"Insert Profession Here" for Dummies.

I see that most nerfs are called for by lazy people who want a simple way out. Who do not want to take the time and learn stratagies.
    Hemicrusher

My Current Armor Setup Nail Armor Baby!

Stupidity Should Be Painful

LVL 200 Clan Enforcer - General of Lost Chapter

What stratigies are you talking about? Exploits?

Give us an example He with an Enforcer main.

Are you talking about GA4 fixers only fighting enforcers outdoors?

Are you talking about rooting and running during a soldiers TMS?

There ain't that much goddamn strategy in the game. It's mostly a contest of equipment and rock paper scissors class hirarchy.
    Last edited by Xolus; Jan 15th, 2003 at 19:03:52.
    well now I've got
    some advice for you little buddy
    before you point the finger
    you should know that I'm the man
    and if I'm the man, then you're the man
    and he's the man as well so you
    can point that f***in' finger up your a** - Tool

Originally posted by smotheredhope

There ain't that much goddamn strategy in the game. It's mostly a contest of equipment and rock paper scissors class hirarchy.
    In 1 on 1 PvP what do you expect from a computer game?

This isn't a twitch game where hopping while running like some rabbit on cocaine matters (not that I call that strategy). It's not a FPS like Ghost Recon or Rogue Spear where the noise of your equipment while moving at faster than crawl speed can give you away. No, there is no strategy involved in 1 on 1 PvP in this game.

But there is strategy involved in team PvP.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

/offtopic

Originally posted by Kuroshio
    No, there is no strategy involved in 1 on 1 PvP in this game.
    So wait....1 on 1 PvP is hit Q and see who wins? I think not....

/ontopic

/sarcasm on

All the cries for nerfing and loving = the real PvP in AO. PvP in-game is messed up by too many factors. PvP in the forums is a nice turn-based atmosphere where there is no lag, no crowd control (although we do have strenuous moderation), no blackholes, no rubberbanding (although we do have Cz beacon warping a thread here and there), no "Action failed: weapon out of ammo" problems...just smooth PvP

/sarcasm off

Fix...
    the...
    game!

The professions are only broken by the game itself. Fix the game first and then if anything broken remains within the professions themselves, it will become much clearer. In the state of the game now, I have killed at least one of every prof and I have been killed by one of every prof. Trying to balance professions against each other using these damage calculators or trying to do the math is moot: lag & crowd control cannot be measured precisely enough to do an accurate comparison.

So....do like my buddy Vergil says and sacrifice a black goat to the lag gods before you partake in tower wars. Perhaps you will be spared the death of your link and actually be able to do good for your side.....so long as the crowd control gods are appeased by the sacrifice of the black goat also.

Fix...
    the...
    game!
    .: Naraya :.

In 1 on 1 PvP what do you expect from a computer game?

This isn't a twitch game where hopping while running like some rabbit on cocaine matters (not that I call that strategy). It's not a FPS like Ghost Recon or Rogue Spear where the noise of your equipment while moving at faster than crawl speed can give you away. No, there is no strategy involved in 1 on 1 PvP in this game.

You contrary moron. Do you always just read the last post and reply to it in your usual way.

I was responding to someone else saying that there was strategy involved in pvp. Not complaing that there wasn't any.

Try responding to a statement in the context it was written in for once in your life.
    Last edited by Xolus; Jan 16th, 2003 at 01:21:06.
    well now I've got

I was hoping to avoid using specific examples here really, to avoid flames and such.
    As I said before I don't consider pvp 1 on 1 anything but a training exercise. I don't think professions SHOULD be balanced to perfection.
    Your options in a 1 on 1 fight is limited, the strategies I'm talking about, involves planning. Try to make a balanced team before going into battle, make up for one professions faults. If your team fails to do it's task, IMO, you should change the teams layout.

But, ok, I will try to make one example.
    As an Engineer, I am on my daily patrol along one of my Orgs controllers. Suddenly, without warning, my nano is shutdown. And then someone blinds me. Roots me and within a few seconds I'm dead. As I'm getting my stuff out of my reclaim, my first thoughts isn't to run out again, and try to beat them on my own, cause I know I won't be able to do that.
    I send out an alert to my guild.. We try to set up a well balanced team, having a healer, damage dealers, rooters, and so on, and prepare to grid out.
    We fight off the first wave. Engineers warp in any casualties, doctors heal any wounded people, Fixers try to loot the corpses.. oops, forget I said that.
    We send for reinforcements. As the enemies bring in more and more forces, we try to plan ahead, not just attack the first person to cross the line, and hope for the best. We each get our assignments incase someone drops in. After making a couple of runs, the enemy realises that we are too tough to handle. And turns their tales towards their own homes.

Ok, I'm not good at giving examples, at least not this early in the morning.

And Naraya, I'm not saying you can't use strategies in 1on1 pvp, I'm just saying, to me 1on1 is practice.. And your choices are limited by your own profession.
    I'm also saying, and here I go repeating myself AGAIN, 1on1 can't be balanced, it won't ever be balanced, and it shouldn't be balanced.

So the big underlying point to this thread is, don't come in and demand that YOUR profession(s) should be more balanced in pvp.
    If you can't beat someone, gank him!

(again, this does not involve bugs in the game, broken items, and stuff like that)
    Venturealot - 190 Adv
    Plixie - 141 Eng
    + a bunch of alts

Plixie, my post was in answer to Hemicrushers statement on the importance of strategy in 1 on 1 pvp.

And my response is in most curcumstances it's not about strategy. You hit the same buttons every time depending on what class your fighting. You may actually need to move around if your a rooter or fighting one. Otherwise you could just about macro 1 on 1 pvp.
    well now I've got

You contrary moron. Do you always just read the last post and reply to it in your usual way.

I was responding to someone else saying that there was strategy involved in pvp. Not complaing that there wasn't any.

Try responding to a statement in the context it was written in for once in your life.
    No, I just like your nick. Youy hope is only smothered...I'm trying to finish it off

You complain there's no strategy involved in 1 on 1 PvP. If Funcom actually tried to create strategy for 1 on 1 PvP, they not only failed miserably but wasted their efforts. That just leads back to trying to balance the game for 1 on 1 PvP. And there are too many variations of character types to do that without causing the rest of the game to suffer.

Strategy comes into play in team PvP. Why complain about something that not only isn't there but had no chance of appearing? I think you just like to complain.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

No, I just like your nick. Youy hope is only smothered...I'm trying to finish it off

You complain there's no strategy involved in 1 on 1 PvP. If Funcom actually tried to create strategy for 1 on 1 PvP, they not only failed miserably but wasted their efforts. That just leads back to trying to balance the game for 1 on 1 PvP. And there are too many variations of character types to do that without causing the rest of the game to suffer.

Strategy comes into play in team PvP. Why complain about something that not only isn't there but had no chance of appearing? I think you just like to complain.
    The whole point is I wasn't complaining. I was challenging someone to prove that there was strategy in 1 on 1 pvp. I realise that in an mmorpg you can't have perfect balance between classes. Or if you did you could never make alterations to those classes except in a complete game overhaul. I could argue that the imbalance in AO's 1 on 1 pvp stretches the limits of that argument.

What I got mad with you about was you assuming that I was making a complaint. If you had read the post just prior to mine you would have realised I was just challenging the claim of that poster. My fault for not putting his post in a quote before my reply. I guess that's the accepted way of rebuttal in the forums and would have avoided this confusion and my hotheaded flames.

And I want a complete IPR kit available in shops for one cred... /flip
    Last edited by Xolus; Jan 16th, 2003 at 07:58:19.
    well now I've got

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12