Thread: How does PvP work?

Question How does PvP work?

I have played this game for a while now and since I don't like PvP I try to stay away from 25% areas if possible. Now however I got some high lvl char (56/69) and I feel I need to figure this out. I have been gridcamped a few times in 25% areas and I know a lot of people think that's okay so I won't whine about it but I would like to know the rules at least If I'm back from a mission and get killed is it true I lose my reward to the killer? what if I find a NODROP? Can I loose any credits? Once when I was attacked I was able to run out of the zone and thought I was safe, but they could still chase me in 75%, luckily I could outrun them what is that?

Regards, Vitniri

Talking I'm by no means an expert....

I think that below lvl 75 you will not loose items when killed in a political/mayhem zone. After lvl 75 you will loose both non-saved xp and items found, except no drops(I think this is correct.)

An example to illustrate: If you at lvl 50 save and then travel to some %25 zone. You do you missions and on your way back you get ganked. You will only loose the unsaved xp, nothing else.

If you are lvl 76 you will lose both the xp and all non-drop items(and maybe money too).

And just a hint... High lvl is in my humble opinion 125+. There was a time when lvl 60-80 was high lvl, but I think that time is past.

As for the part about running into a 75% area(not server zone shift) they are still able to kill you since combat was initialted before you entered the %75 zone. If you zone(ie. a server or playfield shift) they cannot follow you and attack. Plz correct me if I'm wrong.

So high runspeed is a must if you don't want to fight. :-) Just set agg/def to max def, and run like the wind... No shame in it... If you don't want to fight it's a legit strategy.
    Atrocious - taking ugly to the next level.

Atrocious - Atrox Enforcer - Member of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Aniana - Solitus Engineer(Uber gimp) - Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Plasmatiq - Solitus Soldier

Plus countless other alts I play with once in a while.

I have never once been able to loot a body.

I think it is broken, but dont take any chances.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Ok, I guess this ansvers some of my questions. For my fixer this is not a problem anyway since I can't bother to RUN back from mission when the grid is so handy For my MP it's more complicated since I doubt he can outrun anyone, not long ago I decided to take mission to upper east bank with a valuable reward. Since I figured that the 15sec grace would let me get away from campers I came unbuffed and without pets, bummer. First hand experience with grace-sync problem and got wasted prompto and DROCK! I forgot to save and are back in Rhino Cockpit with my turtle speed

I would actually prefer a system employed in a MUD game I played at Lysator, Sweden. There you would select to be a playerkiller and then could kill and be killed by other playerkillers anywhere while others could relax and enjoy the gameworld. It's no so bad in AO though it's no problem to avoid dangerous areas and if I wan't to explore the scenery in stret west bank and use the nice ferry I just make sure I save properly. But hey what is it with that ferry, I expected a nice river trip not a insta-teleport

Vitniri

Well AO is about PvPing.
    So no option here.

I haven't PvP a lot up to now (I am 91) and will start when I hit 100 for several reasons :

- Before 100 I fell like PvP is too much relying on over-equiping. I don't despise over-equiping. I do it as much as I can, but frankly it sucks all strategy during the fight.

- The game can be boring in the zones I am hunting now are getting old, so I want to see the other face of the game.

- I prefer to have PvP intercation with ppl that have been playing the game for more than 1 week. I expect to have 25% less griefers and ppl that are used to kill others or get killed by others (well this is the optimistic part I know).

- I wanna OWNZ YOU !!!

Oups ! Did I said that loud ?
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Re: How does PvP work?

Oh and I am sure that everyone know about Vampi's PvP Guide. It's maybe getting slightly old, but not that much I think.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Thanks for feedback

Thanks for the pointer to the PvP guide It's a bit outdated though, damage have been capped since then. Guess some other issues have been patched also. Mission for high-levelers doesn't require you to travel to mayhem zone anymore if I have understod correctly?

Regards, Vitniri

Newibe opinion alert!!

I think the way AO handles PvP is one of the best ideas ever. I love the excitement of doing missions in PvP zones. If they would do something like UO did (perhaps by making one server PvP and the other PvM) then one of these servers will be almost empty and you all know which one.

Now in AO we are more or less forced (in a good way, higher risk is something im willing to take if the reward is good) to enter PvP zones. And since we don't loose much if we die then it wont feel so bad. Unless someone loots our precious reward and screamed he raped me! Or owned me (Apparantly some people like to **** corpses? Or own them? Todays kids i tell you! So spoiled, think they can have anything) Hehe...but wth that's the risk we have to take right?

They should remove the whomp-ahs and Grid exits from PvP zones though or have a 75% zone around them. Grid camping seem to upset alot of people so why have it in? I don't know..Maybe it's no big problem..The grace period is antother issue it seems so maybe the whompas simply needs to be removed to a safe location. No more gridcampers, no more people yelling exploiters becouse they where killed during their grace period.

And there should also be citiest to fight in. Big cites, like Omni or Rome. And no 75% zones in stores and bars in those citites. Only where the reclaim terminal is perhaps or have it outside of the city and pvp zone. Conceal should also work against other players so chickens who can't run like the fixers have a option to keep out of combat, alteast until we are detected