Thread: Waypoint System

Lightbulb Waypoint System

I'm sure that someone has thought of this before but i thought i would post my idea anyhow.

One thing that really annoys me when i'm playing is trying to find someone given coordinates. i think it should be possible to type a command like /waypoint and then the coordinates you want to go to and it would make a white X on the map like a mission and a yellow indicator on your compass.

another way to do it would to be to make waypoints like item references, so you could send them over chat to other people, and they could double click them to load them into thier map.

this would totally eliiminate confusion over "where the team is"

the would just send you the coords, you make a waypoint and follow the yellow line :P

I'm sure this would be rather easy to impliment since the same sort of thing is already implemented for finding missions.

*Another idea would to also add a line on the map showing you where to go, that connects your current possition and the destination position on the map with a blue line or somthing, would be helpful for finding out exactly how far away missions are. just like sometimes you run in the direction of the yellow line for ages until you get killed by somthing dark red because you had no clue how far away the mission was when you started.

While a good idea, I don't think it would be tremendously helpful. There's really no in-game mechanism besides missions that depends heavily on coordinates. Well... perhaps returning to a group after death... Ok, so it would be a nice addittion.

About that line... I don't see why that would be necessary. With the indicator on the compass and the 'x' on the map, you have the means to determine how far a mission is when you enter the zone.

Still... Any navigation enhancements are good for adventurers
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

Inspiration

I think that one of the things that sets AO apart from previous MMORPG's is the way features are incorperated into the game.

What i mean is that all those things that i used to use 3rd party programs to do when i played Asheron's Call and Ultima Online, all these things are built into AO :P

In UO i used UO-Auto-Map and in AC i used AC-Explorer

AC explorer wasnt that much different from the built in map system in AO, except the functionality of waypoints and pathfinding. i found these things to be very useful in AC, and in AO i think they could be just as useful for the fact that AO is a MUCH MUCH bigger world!
    www.fixergrid.com - Luciana's Fixer Guide

Ok, I give up. F1x3Rz R |337!!!!
    Luciana - Level 141 Fixer
    Lohr - Level 50 Enforcer

"<Dai-Galean> Lohr you will get used to SilkeX he is a perminant part of the irc like a bad piece of code hehehe" - From irc.funcom.com #anarchyonline

Excellent idea Lohr. This would save a good bit of time and I think would be very easy to implement.

Vaporlok

Post sheesh

Id settle for a hotkey that reported your Loc to whatever channel you were on..

As far as telling how far away a mission is, you hit F9 to see your loc.. You can tell how far away the mission is by comparing your current loc to the loc of the destination... Very easy

But when teammates ask, "Whats your loc" its a freaking pain in the ass to STOP (if moving), Hit F9, Type it out... Each time someone asks for it.. Yeah im sure we are all familiar with the people who ask over and over again cause they dont pay attention..

A Hotkey that just reports your current loc to the channel would be awesome..

Sorzella 140 Nano NT -
    -Omni-Scummette Pistol Slinger Extraordinare
    -Mother and Provider to her little family of Omni scum Alts
    -President of the Insomniacs Foundation
    - You can pry my pistols from my cold dead hands, wait no you cant they are in reclaim..

Scum Alts include:
    Sorzetta 46 Opi Agent
    Sorzanna 24 Opi Fixer <---- Evil Clanner, outcast of a sister...
    Sorzina 21 Solitus Soldier
    Trancefactor 29 Solitus Trader
    Tranzmetic 56 Atrox Doctor
    Brakkhus 16 Atrox Enforcer
    Hollownymph 5 Solitus Meta

- The world is a reflection of the sensory apparatus that registers it - Deepak Chopra