Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux vs vista

Linux vs vista

http://wastingtimewithmikeandari.wor...ty-than-vista/

well, I guess I will soon totally shrink my vista hdd and set it as /tmp for my linux;p
    Nwalker, 1/2, ranged adventurer, president of =ACF= Clair de Lune
    randomletter: I kind of disagree advs are overpowered. IN my hands, yes.
    Entventurer: If ranged (advis) get the same pvp killpower as melee (advis), there will be absolutely no point to melee in pvp.
    Valhallur: If you go with trox, be sure to take the two week course "Humblebien's lessons in the advanced art of how to hit MR".
    <3

This is interesting....
    Been here, done this...
    Time to move on...

We got the server and it will be Ubuntu 7.04; this is excellent news! (Don't argue just nod your head.)

The new desktops are coming that will be Vista; this is very bad news

We will get new chairs; this is good news.

I can play with Ubuntu in a virtual machine; I am ambivalent.

I now have to learn Linux in detail, enough to administrate the network; also ambivalent.

Now why do I have cravings for sweat and sour chinese food?
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

WTB date with Jen. Just curious

I use Redhat, Fedora, Ubuntu..ubuntu is a very nice addition to the Linux community...can actually pull windows users away from windows without too much of a starting learning curve.
    No longer plays. It ruins my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    sweat and sour chinese food?
    Sweat! Yum!

On topic: I don't really get his point, none of the games worked in Linux either.
    That being said, Vista is pretty damn horrible, but hey, it's pretty!

Vista is pretty :P It also hasn't caused me too many headaches *besides having to keep a couple games outside of the Programs Files folder"* since I got rid of the UAC popups. I'd still probably switch to linux if I weren't so damn lazy. I'm too lazy to even just switch to xp :P

I am a veteran MS-Head zealot, and of course I believe Vista will become much loved after a couple SPs...

...But I must say the mature Linux variants have grown to a point where I think it's time is at-hand... Vista is a great, but it's still in it's awkward phases... So if you're thinking about a switch...just keep your PC and go Linux, Ubuntu or Fedora imho though there are so many decent ones now, I cant count...

MAC / Darwin is crap, a childish OS that in no way I can see validates it's own existence, so if you're a pretentious snob that needs a glowing apple on your PC (yes it's a PC too) so you look more like people on TV, then get your MAC, then erase OSX and install Linux
    Johnny IAmAMonkey Rotten: Soldier 220 (Re-perking...indefinitely)
    200 Doc / 200 Crat (in Bazzit-Induced-hibernation) Advy / NT / Fixer / Enf / Trader / blah blah blah
    General of TheOrderOfChaos one of the oldest org's in AO
    ...It must suck losing aggro, dd, and a duel to a gimp and a noob eh?
    <insert flames below this area>
    Quote Originally Posted by heartless888 View Post
    lol pvm

Quote Originally Posted by Ynge View Post
    On topic: I don't really get his point, none of the games worked in Linux either.
    That being said, Vista is pretty damn horrible, but hey, it's pretty!
    Linux phails better?
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Quote Originally Posted by Iamamonkey View Post
    I am a veteran MS-Head zealot, and of course I believe Vista will become much loved after a couple SPs...

...But I must say the mature Linux variants have grown to a point where I think it's time is at-hand... Vista is a great, but it's still in it's awkward phases... So if you're thinking about a switch...just keep your PC and go Linux, Ubuntu or Fedora imho though there are so many decent ones now, I cant count...

MAC / Darwin is crap, a childish OS that in no way I can see validates it's own existence, so if you're a pretentious snob that needs a glowing apple on your PC (yes it's a PC too) so you look more like people on TV, then get your MAC, then erase OSX and install Linux
    You do realize Microsoft has already announced its new OS? Vista will be remebered as the next ME.. I will be skipping it totally if I can help it. THE ONLY THING THAT COULD CAUSE ME TO UPGRADE TO THAT PIECE OF SH*T OS IS MY PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE NOT INSTALLING IN XP ANYMORE BEFORE IT ARRIVES...

PS: Judging from your view of MAC and obvious fanboi'ism to microsoft I would take nothing you say on the topic with any seriousness at all

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    Linux phails better?
    Hey now!

I hear Vista is replacing ME as the new standard for /fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaun View Post
    You do realize Microsoft has already announced its new OS? Vista will be remebered as the next ME.. I will be skipping it totally if I can help it. THE ONLY THING THAT COULD CAUSE ME TO UPGRADE TO THAT PIECE OF SH*T OS IS MY PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE NOT INSTALLING IN XP ANYMORE BEFORE IT ARRIVES...

PS: Judging from your view of MAC and obvious fanboi'ism to microsoft I would take nothing you say on the topic with any seriousness at all

I have programmed on a mac probably longer than you've been out of diapers

(You are out of diapers...right?)

It's funny that you think an MS fanboi would be recommending LINUX above all else...

Have owned every apple comp since the Apple II plus... You even know what that is? ...Still own three because I was weened on them... Even turned my Graphite imac into an aquarium ;>)

I know it's cool to try and be "MAC-Hardcore" but I'd be willing to bet that if there is a fanboi here, it isn't me

=D

BTW: Vista is the first of MS's OS that is based on the component model other OS's use, everything is derived from the same core, so your 'new os' is in fact Vista + ...That is the new MS model...

Windows ME was a transitional OS meant to do nothing more than ween 9x core users to an NT sort of environment before the actual product came out (Which was delayed despite promises of an NT type consumer OS)... It sucked because though they used the 9x core, they disabled DOS underlying it, which made it incompatible in reverse... If you were paying attention, you knew that and didn't waste the money

If you performed a small hack to re-enable DOS, it was a basically 98SE with a makeover so the comparison is totally invalid

Look before you insult... And maybe stop watching G4 ....
    Last edited by Iamamonkey; Feb 7th, 2008 at 00:00:38. Reason: I wanted to ...So what!? ...Wanna fight about it!?
    Johnny IAmAMonkey Rotten: Soldier 220 (Re-perking...indefinitely)
    200 Doc / 200 Crat (in Bazzit-Induced-hibernation) Advy / NT / Fixer / Enf / Trader / blah blah blah
    General of TheOrderOfChaos one of the oldest org's in AO
    ...It must suck losing aggro, dd, and a duel to a gimp and a noob eh?
    <insert flames below this area>
    Quote Originally Posted by heartless888 View Post
    lol pvm

Code in asm,C,C++...I really dont care about the ongoing war of OS's...in the end the best marketer wins...security wise which I do have to look at for code reasons Linux is my perfered choice..not because I feel like "omg im 133t and now can get female geek sex with my hawt linux box!" ...@_@ but because it is cheap, has a good amount of stability, did I say cheap? (yes we all bootleg but legally speaking..), and if you learn Linux beyond point and click your learning a good bit about OS's. Which I think should be on SAT's now days.

and to Iamamonkey..man she is a hawt female! omg how can you fight back! j/k all in jest my good friends all in jest
    Last edited by Sir_Malak; Feb 7th, 2008 at 01:32:45.

I have programmed on a mac probably longer than you've been out of diapers

(You are out of diapers...right?)

I know it's cool to try and be "MAC-Hardcore" but I'd be willing to bet that if there is a fanboi here, it isn't me
    lol.. Sorry but Apple IIe, Commodore 64, Amiga, Mac Plus, PC Jr, Mac SE30, LC, LC II, Quadra 840 AV, PowerPC, etc.. were present in my home I put them to rest ages ago because well their time had come. I grew up using Both Apple and Windows depending on where I was. Later began with the various SGI boxes and the variations of UNIX ala IRIS and for networking Novell.. I while loving the NIX family am sadly stuck with both Apple and Windows as my primary options due to my occupation and need for high end hardware/software integration and support for advanced driver libraries for real time video and 3D rendering environments.

Neither Linux nor Windows can touch Apples OS on how it lets certain types of operations work. Its not the hardware its how the software uses it that matters and having driver support for advanced hardware.

I don't bloody care what else Apples OS does as long as it does that one thing as beautifully as it can which is light years beyond the other two platforms And There is absolutely NOTHING for me in the current state of Linux. If major software and hardware companies took them more seriously then I too could have fun fidling with it.. till then its just not cost effective

As an artist who wants real time results on projects without shelling out for an SGI/Avid Rig again Mac is a nice substitute

I am currently using an XP box to type this to you and can say that I will not be touching Vista for any reason ever unless my software forces me to. I never did install ME on any of my machines. DOS->MS-DOS->Workgroups->3.1->NT#->2k->XP and I stayed on each platform till the software I purchase no longer is supported on it. Till then I don't bother wasting money for a buggy OS.

The very fact that Microsoft has announced a new OS before their current OS has even reached 10% penetration of a market is just hilarious and also an symptom of it being so terrible

PS: AMIGA = <3 = Best Computer ever designed *sigh* so ahead of its time.. wish they were still around Amiga > Apple anyday...

and sorry but you should follow your own advice.. you start by calling yourself a microsoft Zealot (ie fanboi) then go on to claim there is 0 reason for Apple to validate its own existance.. which is utter rubbish if you did anything more than turn one on and push a button you'd know that let alone program on one.. Input sprockets > direct input. Widgets are not gadgets.. the recycling bin is not a trash can.. and no matter what your hard drive will be in "My computer" because Apple mounted it to the Desktop and then said.. We own this feature and they do.

I win
    Last edited by Xaun; Feb 7th, 2008 at 08:08:46.

I don't bloody care what else Apples OS does as long as it does that one thing as beautifully as it can which is light years beyond the other two platforms
    Photoshop? This video is better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead_Army View Post
    erm.. that video was full of /fail when it came out lol it was aimed at the clueless never used a Mac before audience and hit its mark beautifully just anyone with half a clue knew it was rubbish even the MSCE Teachers at the school I taught at for 6 years laughed at it when it was released.. Note "AT IT" not "with it".. but no Photoshop while more sluggish in Windows runs in both fine. Its the real time video hardware based rendering and 3D rendering that I am referring to. Photoshop is a kids toy in comparison of requirements not to mention price.. but when you start comparing it to things like Maya (Mac), 3D Studio Max (Used on my PC), Zbrush 2(Mac / PC), Modo (Mac/PC) etc.. we are talking alot more. And even those are just names I figure you might recognize. The more specialized stuff like rendering engines that you plug in to those programs are their own beasts.

And there is no way in hell that your video could be better.... That is SCOTTIE TALKING TO A MAC! Thats pure comedy gold there.. I mean come on.. even a non-trekkie has to love that scene? ~_~!
    Last edited by Xaun; Feb 7th, 2008 at 09:54:01.

Such heated debates around here...

I had a laptop with Windows 98, ME, and XP (ultimately SP2).

I now have a MacBook with Leopard and run XP SP2 via Bootcamp solely for a couple PC games (and predominately, of course, AO).

I'm not a tech coding geek (rather a History/Pre-Law college student geek), but I just love my MacBook much more than any of my previous Windows laptops.

I must say the short time I fooled around with Linux, though, it was pretty nice and really surprised me (being the non-coding tech geek that I am). I've used Vista computers and really haven't had much more issues with them than any XP computer, but I do find it highly amusing that my university's PC computers still run XP SP2 while the Macs run Leopard - even when Leopard was released in October and Vista was however (year-ish) long ago.
    Ruffixx, 220/30/66 Omni Opifex Fixer
    Pugilius, 206/30/49 Omni Opifex MA
    Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
    Medor, 199/23/42 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Vindicius, 189/20/46 Omni Atrox Enforcer
    Evilrilius, 100/10 Omni Nano MP - Foremans Killing Machine

Proud General of Obsidian Order

lol.. Sorry but Apple IIe, Commodore 64, Amiga, Mac Plus, PC Jr, Mac SE30, LC, LC II, Quadra 840 AV, PowerPC, etc.. were present in my home
    So Xaun and Iamamonkey are dinosaurs? I think that is *gggrrrooovvy* and I can *get down with that*!

XT with DOS and Word perfect 5.4

When I was five years old.

No need to have a forum PvP over this though, all of those companies software and manufactures are around so people like them for various reasons.
    Just remember, what do people run most of the time on servers and why?

I need to virtual machine Linux on a *cough, puke* Vista *cough and gasp* machine, what program would you recommend to do that? Boot camp?
    Last edited by Jenshai; Feb 7th, 2008 at 11:22:25.

I began with 6809 assembler, then zilog z80 and 68HC11 after;p
    (dinosaur anyone?)
    The component model of vista is nowhere close to a microsoft innovation, it's used on linux for a few years (as for the upcoming winfs, the 3d interface, and most of microsoft "innovations", it's commonly used in opensource world for a few years too)
    If you just want a VM, instead of a dedicated partition, jenshai, vmware is a way.
    As far as I remember, bootcamp is for x86 macs?
    otherwise, many easy tutorials for dual booting vista linux are available:
    http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_b...nstalled_first

and many more on google;p
    Nwalker, 1/2, ranged adventurer, president of =ACF= Clair de Lune
    randomletter: I kind of disagree advs are overpowered. IN my hands, yes.
    Entventurer: If ranged (advis) get the same pvp killpower as melee (advis), there will be absolutely no point to melee in pvp.
    Valhallur: If you go with trox, be sure to take the two week course "Humblebien's lessons in the advanced art of how to hit MR".
    <3

MAC / Darwin is crap, a childish OS that in no way I can see validates it's own existence
    Darwin's roots are older then windows. So calling it childish would be kinda ignorant :P
    Denis "Hafthorr" Jobes - Eternalist of Transcendence
    Gazilion of alts/twinks/buffers :P
    Agent suggestions by Sjofn : -new ql 190 nano "Call Airstrike", drops a Heckler on the target.

I would just like to add dont think that Linux box's are non-hackable..(hate using that word hack these days..ugh) but anyway the last month I know of two Ubuntu servers that have been broken into and the "hacker" given root access. The problem? Was not a matter of exploitable code..it was the admin behind it not setting a few things properly. My point? As more people move to easier setups of servers (usually the basic LAMP Linux,Apache,Mysql,Php for web..etc..you get the point its autoconfig) ..it gets easier to find more insecure boxxes. Basically more users = higher probability of attacks.

and folks not to anybody in particular but the cliche of common used username/passwords still holds merit.... even if its somewhat retarded and you would think by now in this time and age you could move on without reminding folks about this... god,sex,admin,power,(yes ive seen the movie hackers..and know its cheesyness lol) *childsname*,*childsbirthday*,*weddingday*, etc... list goes on but simple...folks still use these.. Social Engineering is still easy as pie like this..use strong passwords plzkthx. Ill shutup now..

/end rant... change your passwords!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast