Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: /rp command

/rp command

I'm not going to make any direct suggestion to avoid angering people...

But I petition Development to add a penalty to the /rp command to discourage people from just turning it for the sake of gaining the extra flag.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

/rp command

I don't really play anymore but I'm going to be honest here I would use the /rp command alot even if I weren't rping. Is there going to be any system in place to punish people who abuse this command who are in fact not in character. Hard to police I know but from what I can see this feature is nothing but another way for people to mess around with their name.
    Darkkblood level 220 MA AI:18

Darkmetals level 149 Eng AI:0

I'd assume you'll be completely unable to respond to PvP while in character (meaning if you're PvP flagged its like you have a social weapon on). Possibly unable to PvE (hopefully smarter about this and unable to -initiate- PvE but still able to respond if attacked).
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

I'd like that, but a lot of ARK Events RP involves "PvP" combat between players and ARKs, so I can see restricting combat hindering the RP system as a whole, even tho it is a really good offset :-(

There will be no restrictions or penalties to such a feature. It is simply a way to flag your character visibly for others to see that you are roleplaying. No more and no less then that.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    There will be no restrictions or penalties to such a feature. It is simply a way to flag your character visibly for others to see that you are roleplaying. No more and no less then that.
    Seen that in old times in SWG. Usually i found better PR on "regular people" than those who had the flag enabled.

One suggestion: don't save the flag. If somebody logs out, remove it, so people have to switch it on deliberately when they consider themselves available for RP.
    We are dyslexia of Borg.
    Futility is resistant, your ass will be laminated.

Sil have my baby!
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

... seriously though *looks at -name color RP vs PVP- in the signature below* Even I would like to see something to prevent lets say "mr. 3L33tH4xz0r" from ganking in Borealis with a RP flag active.

RPers (as far as I'm aware) don't hop on BS and start diplomatic talks with the other faction or try to sway the neutral cause in one direction... Neither do I want pvp ****** ganking with a RP flag.

You can all take a look at how things go when some RP hater busts into a CoT meeting, even with arks booting them out or sending them to reclaim. I'd hate to see this sort of situation spill out into everyday life as abundantly as a "/command" would allow

But have my baby?

<3 Dutchess Bane.
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

Very very glad it does not restrict PvP. Quite frankly I have no idea where the misconception that PvP, PvM/E and RP are mutualy exclusive came from and makes little sense to me (Have an RP nemesis who murdered your father? Go blow his head off!). As I understand from Sil's response, the RP flag is completely independent of any other type of flag which means you can go about PvP flagging up and ganking, or not flagging up and not being ganked as normal. An RP flag won't make any difference. Someone sticks on an RP flag as an excuse to gank at an RP event, well that RP flag won't stop them from being ganked right back if they have that PvP flag they need...

PvP can be a part of RP and it gets on my nerves when the elitists of both sides say they should not be allowed to mix.
    This is my disillusioned, cynical and lazy Engi rights activist account.
    Quitter092 Placard holder
    Ophiuchus 220/30/70
    Bombqueen 75 frewb
    Lots of random non engis.

Until pets behave reliably, their stats are irrelevant.

Agreed Shadow, you beat me to it. RP and PvP are not, and should not be mutually exclusive. People forget that there was a time when PvP was mostly promoted/furthered by RP'ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    ARK Events RP involves "PvP" combat between players and ARKs
    Holy funk so this is why!
    Taranide 220/30 fixer RK2 and now also RK1! Wait a second...
    Might have other characters too but I'm not so sure, always leave them camping something and there they are for few months.

Quote Originally Posted by copperneedle View Post
    Sil have my baby!

Hey, hey!! Wait your turn! I got him first for the social tab. He's all yours after that. :P
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Quote Originally Posted by copperneedle View Post
    RPers (as far as I'm aware) don't hop on BS and start diplomatic talks with the other faction or try to sway the neutral cause in one direction...
    Why not? You can RP a pacifist or a fanatic for your side or anything in between.

I think the flag is a good idea, especially with no associated mechanics changes. I expect it will get some abuse, but I hope most people respect it.
    Bolen - 220/23/70 trox ma clanner
    Proud Veteran of Synergy Factor
    www.synergyfactor.net
    Atlantean

This command will add visible characters to your name tag so that other players can see that you are currently ‘in character’
    Is it a standart text, so when you use /rp you get *In Character* as your first name, or

/rp "Police officer" Then you get *Police Officer" in your name?

The customizable one would be coolest, but also most prone to be used by other than role players. (take the example of first names, most use it for something silly like the word "PwnU", not as a regular first name.)

I don't see any reason as of why to "restrict" the use of such a command.
    Let's face it. If people were to storm an RP meeting nowadays claiming to RP but have the intention to just gank everyone because "RPing is so hawt".
    What would be different about it, if they have some RP flag on now?

I probably would leave the RP flag on most of the time, even if i'm not RPing directly. Why?
    Because others might see it and just poke you with some RP-chat and you get some RPing going.
    If the person who is having that flag on is just some weirdo who "abuses" it, then you'll probably find out very soon. And do with them what you do nowadays; Ignore.
    AO-Universe - The Leet Place To Be

As long as it flags the person as PVP enabled to all levels, there's no issue here.
    I am the baron.

Awww how sweet!!! An RP flag, now I just need Satenia back and we could RPwtfpwn you other RP'ers
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
    As long as it flags the person as PVP enabled to all levels, there's no issue here.
    That was kinda dumb to suggest. Why would you want that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebius View Post
    Silence m8! The beast is sleeping, do not wake her and incur her wrath.
    Lyzor 220 Opi - PVP Doc
    Current
    Wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by lyzor View Post
    That was kinda dumb to suggest. Why would you want that?
    Some people hate RPers with a passion and like to disrupt them, so having them pvp flagged makes sense to some, i guess...
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

*cries*

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast