Thread: Root breakers, etc

Root breakers, etc

We all know that incompetence nanos aren't 'supposed' to break roots. But we all also know that they do. Nobody of ANY prof wants to be stuck (especially in missions) with no way to break roots. Certain nanos (rage, 1 hit healing, etc) I'm told are supposed to break roots, and that's fine. But in PVP I'm not thinking that classes that aren't 'supposed' to be able to rootbreak should be able to do it in the split second it takes to run X incompetence.

Why not just fix the existing general nanos, and give us a new general nano with say 5-6s cast time that will break root?

(insert pvp community response of 'omg omg omg no' here)

Of course, that actually assumes that Funcom knows why it's doing it/how to fix it, which one can't be so sure of.

Edit: It's been pointed out to me that 1hit healing and a score of other rootbreaks don't work right, it's sort of implicit those should be fixed first.

Maybe make 2 general nanos to break roots, 1 with 6s cast time, and a higher skill one with 3s cast or something would be good for the rest of us.

The more I think about this post the more I think to myself 'I should just be happy that SOMETHING breaks roots.' ....
    Last edited by Red Falcon; Jul 9th, 2002 at 17:34:21.

better yet, make it so there is no nano that will break the root, however if fight ends or you get hit/shot the root breaks.

getting rooted and then promptly shot several times from long range for a meleer is maddening, how about the first time you get shot breaks the root and lengthen the recharge rate by a small amt. so you can't be chain rooted .

As a fixer I agree that something must be done to the root (also include slow) nano break issue. As it is now our offensive nanos can be "erased" by a simple incompetence nano that is upto 200 times less nano costly. Roots are still useful, but our snares are a total waste of nano. How would traders, metas, docs, agents like their debuffs to be subject to the same easy removal?

FC should implement somekind of nano that breaks roots/slows, but its cost (castingtime/nanocost) should have some correlation to that of the offending root/slow.

Seraphael
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent
    Troxitazz - retired trader

I agree completely .. getting smashed down by an MA that could break roots faster then I could cast them (I was lvl 70 at the time I believe the 13.8 or .9 patch is when it broke) made me loose alot of hope in pvp .. now being lvl 153 I am starting to pvp a lil more .. and roots are still broken .. its frustrating and I wish it would get fixed. On a side note the official response of why its breaks roots "The incompetence line of nano's now deal 1 point of damage so that it has a chance to draw agro from a mob. This fix was more important then the current problem and we are working on a solution we I don't see any reason why it won't be fixed in 14.2 .. but no promises" this is when the 14.2 patch notes came out .. and was a very long time ago. So as usual they break something in hopes to fix something else .. instead of fixing it the right way *cough* concealment *cough* I don't think roots are going to get fixed any time soon to be honest .. though I wish they would name it an official exploit or something so ppl don't call me a noob when I say incomp's are not supposed to do that.
    Devis 194 Agent Retired
    Xxdevisxx 200 Engi
    ----------------
    VASHBot A simple and secure guild/raid bot for AO
    VASHBot Forums

We all know that incompetence nanos aren't 'supposed' to break roots. But we all also know that they do. Nobody of ANY prof wants to be stuck (especially in missions) with no way to break roots. Certain nanos (rage, 1 hit healing, etc) I'm told are supposed to break roots, and that's fine. But in PVP I'm not thinking that classes that aren't 'supposed' to be able to rootbreak should be able to do it in the split second it takes to run X incompetence.

Last time I checked, general debuff nanos will not break roots/snares of you are engaged in combat or if someone is in attack mode agains you.

So I believe this is a non-issue.

I beg to differ, people still incompetence their way out of roots/slows while retaining aggro. Also slows should not break as easily as roots and should certainly not be possible to be incompetenced away like it is today. Totally unfair to spend more than 200 times the amount of nano on a workable snare as the incompetence it takes to remove it.

Seraphael
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent

If nanos dont break roots then what is there to stop a NT from rooting and then nuking all day long?
    Suupaslap Master 10th Dan--Rk2
    Smugglerguy Ickle baby fixer--Rk2

Originally posted by SuupaSayen
    If nanos dont break roots then what is there to stop a NT from rooting and then nuking all day long?
    I suggested the implementation of a specific "root-breaker" nano line. However, roots always break at first shot/nuke in pvp as is. The ease of which roots/snares are shruged off is a big issue for fixers in pvp and comparable to having a way/exploit to incompetence your way out of a trader/meta/doc debuff, not fair at all.

Seraphael
    Last edited by Seraphael; Jul 12th, 2002 at 07:09:37.
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent

For PvE, it would be nice if a root broke whenever the "rooter" died. That would spare you the 1-3 minutes of doing NOTHING, not even being in battle, waiting for the root to end.
    Primordiax RPG - Our World, Your Imagination
    http://www.primordiax.com

Muckbeast - MMO Game Developer Blog
    http://www.muckbeast.com

Roots and snares should do a hidden 1 point of damage.

That way in pvp they would set off damage shields. If the person rooting wants to get hurt each time they try to chain root thats their perogative

Originally posted by Oberon
    Roots and snares should do a hidden 1 point of damage.

That way in pvp they would set off damage shields. If the person rooting wants to get hurt each time they try to chain root thats their perogative
    Ofcourse, you are absolutely right. IF the roots didn't break if someone spitted on it AND if damage shields had a limited range to affect only people in the immediate vicinity. Speaking of damage shields; they SHOULD be halfed in pvp. Just sooo silly getting more damage back from reflect and damage shields than you actually inflict on your target.
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent

if damage shields are halved then roots and all debuffs need to be nerfed into oblivion.

Damage shields are the only saving grace of the adventurers

Roots are already nerfed with its easy breaking and unintended root debuff possibilities (slows into oblivion) in pvp. Halfing damage sustained from damage shields should have come as a natural extension of reducing all damage (apart from damage shields that is) in pvp.

And how you consider damage shields the adventurers only redeeming feature in pvp is beyond me. As I see it, adventurers have the upside of the medal in pvp; full effect of their heals and shields.
    Last edited by Seraphael; Jul 15th, 2002 at 15:45:31.
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent

hmm your complaining about my heals

Lemmee see heals

Trader - makes my heals useless

Fixer - makes my heals usless cause if i dont the other person they are usless (aka grid armor)

Mp- debuffs make heals usless

Doctor- init debuffs make heals and attacks usless

Ma's- how do i know if im really healing myself because their fist damage doesn't show in a fight. I end up dieing at 40% health

Agent- Have trader advantage therefore my heals are useless

There you go. good healing is useless vs a large majorit of professions. If you really wanna be picky AE roots going through walls as well as them beng pretty much irresistable to anyone but an enforcer.

Also traders stealing knowledge you dont have. Honestly im on the ropes about this. A trader can take my total ineptness of a shotgun draining me down to negative skill and gain knowledge that i NEVER HAD.

Oh i do have kin of tarrasque but if your talking about a nano that i cannot self cast at 200 then youve got your nano

Oberon, I do not complain about anything but the way root/slows are treated in pvp. Enough of this derailment, check the name of this thread and get back on track. Your concerns, and some of mine, would be covered in a general unnerfing of damage in pvp.
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent

Post more stuff to break roots

Taking damage from a reflection or damage shield will break the roots pretty quick, too. So, someone who wants to use roots/slows would likely have them broken (before they'd even fired off a ranged attack) due to the reflects everyone is wearing now.

What would keep most professions from chain rooting/nuking until the target is dead? Running out of nano to do damage before other professions run out of nano to heal. Not as big an issue for fixers and agents, though. They don't cast much else in combat.

Guess the grass is always greener.. Seems like roots break easily to me. 1-2 hits at most.
    The Cubicle - All the Bureaucrat news you can bear to hear

Isrady Enforcer
    Cambist Crat
    Undoing Doctor

SHADOWQUEST-