Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perennium Beamer Vs. SMG

Perennium Beamer Vs. SMG

Just wanted to get a new thread going for people to discuss the practical (not theoretical) differences between a SPB and an SMG.

I recently happened upon an SMG myself (major props to my guildmates Fleat, Wraith53, and Kyuzo. OMGZOR!). Yes, the SMG is a nice gun. I love having 6 second bursts compared to 8 second with the SPB. In my experience though, there isn't really a terrible difference in damage output between the 2. I just wish I would've been more coherent when Kyuzo gave me my SMG. I would have run damage dumper to test both guns without damage buffing gear just to make real world comparisons of the 2.

If anybody has both weapons and would post here a damage dump (the more the merrier) of their damage it would be most appreciated. The main reason I want to get something like this going is to show people that the SPB is indeed a great gun, and VERY comparable with the SMG pre-TL6-7.
    Borehound - Member of Coven of Hunters

Alts
    Sachiel - Engineer
    Jeraphen - Meta-Physicist
    Tabris - Keeper

I generally like my SMG better over the SPB due to the better crits, nasty minimum damage, and reliable bursts (they don't fluctuate much ;P).

When I get in-game tomorrow I'll run a damagedump.
    ¤ League of Legends - 68WM1 ¤

My PvP policy: If you can't beat 'em, annoy 'em!

This should be obvious. SMG fares better against heckler-type ACs, but against mobs with low ACs (like RK mission mobs) the SPB should do a bit better.

Against middle-range (like high-end RK) or the SMG is better for its crits. And against absurdly low ACs, it may even out if the SMG can do more than its min dmg.

The reason that the SMG is so good is indeed because of its crits, so you won't feel much of a difference until you plug in a crit scope.

This means that i can only run at half def (im lvl 175), but its worth it when i ain't soloing/tanking tough mobs. I might raise rifle/AS so i can hot-swap between TIM and crit scope, dunno yet.

Yes the crits are insane on the SMG. When you can fire either the SPB or SMG at full Def at 1/1 it really won't matter( atleast to me). In SL the SMG will outperform the SPB. It is mostly based on much money you have to spend.

Umh, yesterday i equipped a CSMG (yay!) and short tests showed a hundred more min dmg without having switched my energy add dmg Imps and bracers to chemical. How can you suggest SPB as nearly equal to it?
    recently i heard vanya sing:
    WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO
    AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW

I have both SPB and SMG...

Real World Testing:
    • SMG is superior VS high AC's (duh)
    • SMG shines with a crit scope and buffs. You will have to sacrifice the Full-Def ...but it shouldn't matter if you aren't tanking.
    • SMG bursts faster
    • SMG is still rare, but prices are "reasonable" now (250-300m for QL240)
    • SPB is superior VS lower AC's because of the higher max dmg
    • SPB bursts are harder on low AC's and similar to SMG on high AC's, albeit slightly slower
    • SPB is readily available and prices have dropped into the 50m range for the STA and 70m for a complete gun.

Bottom line. The SPB is an excellent gun for the price. It works well in RK and SL. Take the money you save and get some rings and bracelets and you will have dmg similar to an SMG at half the price. SMG will do better in high AC situations and if you have the right equipment/buffs, you will be at the top of the dmg charts. It is an expensive gun. If you have one, that's great! If not, don't worry about it, it's not that much better.

*PS: I want to add that 2x BBB's will outdamage the SPB and SMG against low-normal AC's until you get 900+ burst.
    Last edited by Gundam; Jun 7th, 2004 at 16:07:56.
    Zeta "Gundam01" Prototype

"All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream."
    - Edgar Allan Poe

I've recently borrowed a 240 SMG (old gun was a 200 pbeamer) and here are my findings..

My overall minimum damage didn't go up by much at all... my burst was a little bit faster and my crits were great. I was testing completely on High Level AC mobs in SL. Pritty much always doing minimum damage.

With the SMG I was doing almost double the damage as my PBeamer. The MAIN reason for this damage increase was the Crits. I was testing with TTS and MoP and a +3 crit scope. The Crits are the largest increase in damage from the SMG.
    Jasmine Ziakara but everybody calls me Jasziak
    Unit Member of The Mockers
    Perks - Armor

Want to be a Mocker? Ask me.
    Want to RP? Let me know.

In my experience, the SMG is much more powerful that the SPB on SL and RK, basically because of the faster burst.

also, the BBBs do not do good dmg at 820ish burst, your much better off with a SPB.

Originally posted by Jinno
    In my experience, the SMG is much more powerful that the SPB on SL and RK, basically because of the faster burst.
    I was testing on green-yellow RK mobs (low AC) while token farming. The SPB bursts were about 4k, while the SMG bursts about 3k. Most low AC mobs drop before the 2nd burst, negating the SMG's quicker burst. At most I could squeeze off a 2nd burst. Further more, the higher max dmg on the SPB (almost 500 more per shot) makes up for the slightly slower burst (~2sec) so even if you fought against low AC's for extended* periods, the SPB still wins.

*To reinforce this, I went to Aodb.info and ran dmg calculations based on 5k AC's, 14% crit, 1200smg/900burst...the SPB wins at 30secs and at 3min

The SMG only truly shines when you go against high (10K) AC's at which point it has a considerable advantage over anything else.

Originally posted by Jinno
    also, the BBBs do not do good dmg at 820ish burst, your much better off with a SPB.
    I have to disagree. The BBB's have a faster burst than the SPB and with a pair you're doing 30% more regular dmg than with just one. Until you have around 900 burst (enough to lower the SPB burst a bit) the 2xBBB's will outdamage on low AC's (RK mobs) because of it's faster burst and 30% bonus for dual wield.
    Last edited by Gundam; Jun 7th, 2004 at 19:30:47.
    Zeta "Gundam01" Prototype

"All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream."
    - Edgar Allan Poe

When you approach end-game levels with over 1200 Burst there is is no noticeable difference between the burst recycle on SMG vs. SPB

Disclaimer: using a -6 skill lock symb. There may be a more pronounced difference even at higher levels once -skill lock no longer effects weapon specials.

To get the most out of the SMG you have to use the best crit scope you can get your hands on...yet another cash sink if you wanna get ellts but a 8% VE works ok too.

Remm
    Visit us at www.tiger-claw.net

have used both SPB and CSMG

burst on both is capped at 5s for me

with every +energy.dam items i can wear (arulsabas/rings/etc.) i get nearly the same damage on SPB than on CSMG without any of these items

once i wear critscope CSMG is clear winner - every 2nd/3rd hit critical compared to SPB's every 6th..10th

due to higher crit bonus and critrate CSMG has no rivals in fixerweapons on any playfield

but because of availability of SMG/CSMG and crit scopes you have to feel a lucky fixer when you have SPB - major improvement since ILB/Manex/MCS
    216/04 Reddherring -- Rookie Fixer
    220/21 Uranus -- Rookie Soldier

[Tiger Claw] Woolgatherer: eskimos are hot

Yes... SPB is a SOLID weapon for anybody not using a SMG....
    Perks - Armor

Want to RP? Let me know.

ive tested both guns with capped burst. I find that even on RK, the CSMG is slightly better, because of the sheer amount of crits i do (i regularly team with an ma so feature MoP into my calculations - without MoP the SPB will outperform the SMG until you reach the MBS on the smg...), however the SPB does do higher burst on RK

As soon as you get into SL you may as well throw that SPB away if you have a SMG, as the SMG outdamages it by a very large amount over a period of time.

Overall SMG > SPB, but as both are very good guns its not a difference worth worrying over, and the fact we have an alternative removes the "omg must have csmg or you = gimp" psychology of many players

Nice to see heck teams "LF DD pref fix/mp/sol"
    Jollzwhin 220 Fixer
    Jollz TL7 Keeper
    Proud Unit Commander of Alpha Omega

Back!

My main reason for trying to get a post like this going is simple. I've seen far too many fixers in game struggling far too hard for an SMG.

Don't get me wrong, SMG is definately the clear winner in comparison. There's no question about that. I was 3rd highest damage dealer at a HI raid last night, only being beaten by an MA and a Shade, and that was without a crit scope and with me 20+ levels lower than the others. But a SPB is also a very nice weapon, especially with damage mods.

My point is, don't stress out about getting an SMG pre-TL6-7. SPB is far less expensive and far easier to get, and you will still be a very good damage dealer. And in comparison a SPB is near equal to SMG without crit mods at TL5, atleast from my experience.
    Borehound - Member of Coven of Hunters

Alts
    Sachiel - Engineer
    Jeraphen - Meta-Physicist
    Tabris - Keeper

Yes... the SPB is a very good choice. Infact, I see it as THE choice of weapon till you can get a SMG at a reasonable price. No need to pay 300m for a SMG...
    Perks - Armor

Want to RP? Let me know.

The CSMG outclasses the SPB on every level. The only reason a person might not notice the difference is if they havent reached MBS yet. CSMG has twice the crit of a SPB, a quicker burst, does about 200 more damage per shot (against max ac mobs), and does chemical damage which is vastly superior to energy damage. If you have a CSMG, the only reason you would EVER use a P-Beamer is to hotswap while you are stacking Hecklers for the extra 4% xp, and even then its hardly worth it.
    ~Streaz~
    "Self Proclaimed Fixer God since Jan 2002"

Note: This account was stolen from me by someone I thought I could trust. I didn't realize what was going on untill someone from my guild contacted me and let me know what was happening. Funcom was gracious enough to give the account back to me, the original owner, but the account is deactivated for the time being and my main concern was just getting it out of the hands of an unsavory character. Sorry for the drama.

-Streaz

Note: The above post concerns people that do not want to settle for second best and want to be optimized. This is how I play the game and not everybody feels the same way. The SPB is a very good choice for those that do not have the resources to obtain a SMG or do not feel like spending those resources to this end.
    ~Streaz~
    "Self Proclaimed Fixer God since Jan 2002"

Note: This account was stolen from me by someone I thought I could trust. I didn't realize what was going on untill someone from my guild contacted me and let me know what was happening. Funcom was gracious enough to give the account back to me, the original owner, but the account is deactivated for the time being and my main concern was just getting it out of the hands of an unsavory character. Sorry for the drama.

-Streaz

Originally posted by streaz18
    Note: The above post concerns people that do not want to settle for second best and want to be optimized. This is how I play the game and not everybody feels the same way. The SPB is a very good choice for those that do not have the resources to obtain a SMG or do not feel like spending those resources to this end.
    Now wipe the licorice drool off of your face and go back to Pande. (Very good points though)
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

This post was nicely wrapped up by Remmance's and Reddherring's comments...couldnt have said it better myself.
    Lasman - Fixer - Nerfed
    Squad Commander of CoH

Walk a mile in a man's boots...and you'll be a mile away from him and have his boots!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast