Thread: Question to all Anarchiers

Question to all Anarchiers

What s the use of playing of this game?

I m lvl 143 still fighting vets all day long to level. Level for what? Quests? No there is no quests. Conquest omni territories? oh oups ofrgot that pvp he is useless because you can t conquest a city. Having Special items? Oups forgot Dungeon are all camped by Storm.
    And you guys why are you playing this game?

I play for a couple reasons.

1) Friends. I have a couple of game friends who I like to play with. No matter how bad a MMOG is, it always has this advantage over a single player game.

2) No alternatives in the genre. I, like a lot of AOers, am a FPS convert. Never been interested in the fantasy theme (orcs, elves, ferries). I really like the Sci-Fi genre and there are no alternatives right now (key word there being NOW).

3) Hope. And I don't mean in Shadowlands. I am about to hit TL 5 myself. I'm not too terribly interested in playing alts (I do have a low level enforcer I play from time to time just to break the monotony). I play in hope that there will be some mid to high level content added. It won't be acceptable (for me) if this isn't done until Shadowlands. Reason being, that the last part of SWG beta or the final game will be out by then and I'd rather take a chance on a whole new game than to keep wishing that FC will do something.

4) Items. I, myself, am a bit of an obsessive person. Once I decide I want to do something, it really bugs the crap out of me until I get it done. That, soon, will come to and end though, as I have almost all I set out to get. Note, that acquiring items isn't a good enough single reason to stay with this or any other game for me.

Those are my reasons. In a few months, though, I won't have any of them....

Friends- My two in-game friends and I are going to, most likely, be making the move to a different game together.

No Alternatives in the Genre- SWG and a few other games that are on the way will soon change this.

Hope- While SWG is sure to have plenty of problems, they aren't just making general and vague promises- such as "Player generated missions, trade skills, ways of leveling other than fighting" They are making those promises and giving details about how they will be implemented. Sure, they will fall short of goals in some areas, but FC has already proved that they have and will fall short in every aspect. Every patch, there are tons of things broken/ made worse and a lot, if not most of the new features or items are bugged. I'd rather start a new than to bet on a losing track record.

Items- Like I said, this isn't a good enough reason to stick to a game solely for this reason. And no matter how desirable an item is, I'm only willing to go so far in my attempt to acquire it. While I'd like to be part of killing tarasque and I'd love to have a heavily padded overcoat, I'll never be willing to do what is necessary to obtain it. Within the next month, I'll have any item in this game that I want and am willing to do what it takes to get. And just in case someone from FC reads this and thinks they'll be able to make people like me stick around by making the items I want harder to get, you'll just move one more item from my "gonna get" list to my "would like, but won't spend countless hours to obtain" list and thus shortening my already winding down AO career. (I only made that last statement because they seem to think that this is the answer to making people stay after they get to higher levels, its not... content is)

All that said, I really think that with the policies that AO has and their absurd in-game support AND the total lack of high level content will hurt AO bad when the alternatives do get here. I'd bet that Shadowlands will be an answer to a lot of the high level content questions, but I really think its a slap in the face to release an expansion that isn't an expansion. Its adding content that should have been in place at launch or released thru a patch. It's a bad move. As soon as they get a break from the gaming press (getting PCG's MMOG of the year award) they jump right on it to try and hit us up for more money when we are the ones who were here when this game was getting bashed.

I really place a lot of the blame on Greg Vederman and Chuck Osborn who work for PCG and are obviously the reason that AO got MMOG of the year from them. In their best of the year award article. They said that they picked AO over DAOC because "while DAOC really drops off at higher levels, AO just gets better". I find this amusing, considering that both of these two have lvl 40ish characters and don't know jack s**t about high level play.

Even with AO's strategy, they are messing up. They are aiming for an end of the year release of Shadowlands and that is the same projected time of release for SWG. In order for Shadowlands to have a chance of doing what they intend for it to do (stop the exodus of players for SWG), they need to release this expansion at least a month or two before SWG.

Well, I know I sound cynical, but most anyone who has reached their "Broken Shores days" are just as fed up with this situation as I am. A combination of FC being way behind on fixing things and adding high level content has made me as jaded as I am. So, why do I keep playing? Well, its listed above, but that will all end in a few months and I'm sure that a lot of people are on the same page as I am.

Xera
    Xeraseus

Why do I keep playing? *edit* disreguard, ditched this game *edit*

Why Can't Chown Save?

Biding my time until the time is right........

i just chat and lvl a bit along the way and wait for another game to come out with stuff to actually do.

Unhappy ...

vacation.. no NWN or SWG yet.. dont want to start DAOC for souch short time (until one of the two above goes gold)

Counter strike sucked. :P

j/k

The game looked godly and so immense, I was captivated before I played it, reading reviews and all :*(

Now its DSJOBDMKF!

We play because there is nothing else to play at this time

Arrow

Its not our fault that you lack any imagination!
    AO is not all about *must have ql 200* stuff.

There are so much more to experience if you get of the level threadmill. I got a NT, MP, DOC, MA and Enf on Rk1 and loads more on Rk2 and if I get bored of one I go play another.

I dont care if all my guildmates powerlevel, thats not how I play the game.
    Doing team missions with a level 30 team is often much more rewarding than with a +100 team that freaks out if you get anything less that 40.000 xp per kill.

Relax and dont feel like a failure if you are not level 200!

I stalled at 139 or so....couldnt hack the boredom..am playing an alt atm till somthing better comes out. WAS excited about SWG until I started reading the boards. Check out the "How old is everone post here"

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony...en_boards.html

Seems a huge population of SWG player base will be between the ages of 10 and 17

I really wish Funcom would fix this game...I would rather stay here and make 200

Re: Question to all Anarchiers

Originally posted by SerialLain
    What s the use of playing of this game?

I m lvl 143 still fighting vets all day long to level. Level for what? Quests? No there is no quests. Conquest omni territories? oh oups ofrgot that pvp he is useless because you can t conquest a city. Having Special items? Oups forgot Dungeon are all camped by Storm.
    And you guys why are you playing this game?
    I'm playing the game to escape from the giant cannibal apes that want to make me their *****. They live in my socks.

Originally posted by kjellolsen
    Its not our fault that you lack any imagination!
    AO is not all about *must have ql 200* stuff.

There are so much more to experience if you get of the level threadmill. I got a NT, MP, DOC, MA and Enf on Rk1 and loads more on Rk2 and if I get bored of one I go play another.

I dont care if all my guildmates powerlevel, thats not how I play the game.
    Doing team missions with a level 30 team is often much more rewarding than with a +100 team that freaks out if you get anything less that 40.000 xp per kill.

Relax and dont feel like a failure if you are not level 200!
    Some people don't care to play 50 chars thru the same thing. While I really would like to have some viable hunting, if I ever kill another shade, I think I'll cut my throat :P

I play one character and that is what I prefer. I'd much rather build one character, rather than go thru the same cycle 10-15 times with different profs. I'm not knocking that, but its just not me.

And about your "get off the level treadmill" remark. What are you doing in this game that I'm missing out on? Other than chatting, leveling is all there is to do in this game.

As far as me being any level I have already been, I've been there, done that. I don't care to go back and do it with again with a pet behing me or a beam in my hand.

As far as imagination goes- that's a cop out. I pay FC to provide a vehicle for entertainment. The tools we have avilable isn't up to par. Half of this game is 99% useless. Once you get to your broken shores days, thats it, the end. Only thing left to do is to join a premiere guild and camp bosses.

Xera
    Xeraseus

Why Can't Chown Save?

Right and wrong my friend. .if there's not enough content you make content =] Did that all the way back when I used to DM good 'ol Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition..You can always host an event or something, a contest, a play, a RP event, whatever.
    Ezequiell 220/24 Doctor
    Vojoc 220/23 Meta-Physicist
    Bourrepif 218/16 Martial Artist

Actually, I was the one who came up with the idea for the 1st annual RK performing arts festival. The guild I was in hosted it and we did interviews with a couple news sites, tried to advertise it in-game and spread the word as much as we could.

After many hours of work, we got perhaps 15 people there. There were some quality performances that I regret that I didn't see (had to work, scheduling mishap). Anyway, for all that work, didn't get a lot out of it. Sure, some people had fun, but that took weeks to pr and get organized and still wasn't a big thing in the end.

Your argument is that you should make your on content. Sited that you were a DM. That's apples and oranges. Being a DM isn't like being a player in AO. You don't have the power or resources.

Xera
    Xeraseus

Why Can't Chown Save?

Originally posted by Cloudeh
    [B]Counter strike sucked. :P
    lol ... not at first it didn't. gee, I wonder if this is gonna be another thing I invest time in that will go sour. but at last i'm glad to be n00b.

Ban betas!

Re: Re: Question to all Anarchiers

Originally posted by Shub
    I'm playing the game to escape from the giant cannibal apes that want to make me their *****. They live in my socks.

Your must be joking, that's why I play to....
    Garret "Necc" Scheer press officer of Desert Winds (MSAS)

Karma, the world's true equalizer.

Free Rubi-Ka!

Lets see what can we do today in AO... Hunt and kill things. Do missions and kill things. Go do team missions and kill things with friends. Or I could stand around Trade and Spam all the things I got killing things and try to sell it.

Gee what is so redundant about that? Gee what is so redundant about that?Gee what is so redundant about that?Gee what is so redundant about that?Gee what is so redundant about that?Gee what is so redundant about that?Gee what is so redundant about that?Gee what is so redundant about that?Gee what is so redundant about that?Gee what is so redundant about that?

I dont know. I dont know. I dont know. I dont know. I dont know. I dont know. I dont know. I dont know. I dont know. I dont know.

um things to do. Smugglers den. hunting in DAV. Borg raids. There is stuff to do, just people are to lazy to do it. All my friends want to do is level treadmill in BS. I go out sometimes and solo TLR (woopie). or run around in the back yard buffing / healing n00bs. these things make me smile.

Let me define lazy. so i reduce the flaming that will start.

Lazy in anarchy = taking the shortest route to success aka missioning in BS or 20k. (stores, office missions , save point, common meeting ground).
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Originally posted by lilnano
    I stalled at 139 or so....couldnt hack the boredom..am playing an alt atm till somthing better comes out. WAS excited about SWG until I started reading the boards. Check out the "How old is everone post here"

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony...en_boards.html

Seems a huge population of SWG player base will be between the ages of 10 and 17

I really wish Funcom would fix this game...I would rather stay here and make 200
    Yes I did that mistake too and read some post at SWG forums..
    Yikes..
    This is a advise to all of you:avoid the forums, not only at SWG , but at all games.

Then why are you posting morre? And don't read this either...

And as far as the Fast track to lvl 200 BS... Dude I don’t care about lvl's never have... I enjoy the RPG aspects of a mmorpg. I like having a WIDE variety of things to do in a game. But as I stated earlier in this thread, the only thing to do is kill stuff. That’s all. Sure you can fly around and look at all the pretty graphics and stuff. But that will only get you so far. Ultma Online was a great game for its day. There was so much to do. So many different things to keep an old AD/HD mind like mine occupied. I loved the trade skills. Played my Blacksmith and Alchemists more then I did my fighters. But the Close-Minded A-Holes at Ultima made it so easy to max out your skills, you could be a 7X gm in about 3 weeks. (Same as lvl 200 in AO) There needs to be more to a game then killing things. For AO it is to late. Funcom has closed their minds and there hearts to anything we might have to offer. Why post our gripes, so at least we can take solace in the fact that we are not alone in our gripes and concerns about a game that we have dedicated weeks and months of accumulated time of our lives to playing. Not to mention the cash. But I think I can speak for most everyone, when I say I would pay almost anything for a game in which I know the Dev's are listening and care about their customers. Funcom doesn't give a rat’s behind about their customers short of making sure they pay their bills. Why do you think you have to pay in advance?

AO = Kill
    Funcom = Close minded

Help us SWG you’re our only hope (or any other sci-fi mmorpg who will care about there customers satisfaction)

Sure you can use your imagination.

However, some of us pay to play a game so that it provides us with content. Otherwise known as things to do. For 12.95 a month, Funcom does not provide content. They provide patches that 'fix' things. This is a free service from most other software providers.

Seeing as I can sit on my couch, stare at the wall, and imagine myself running a bar on a planet 3k years in the future for free, it just doesn't cut it.

There is in reality only two things to do in this game. Level to 180+ to pvp.

Level to 200 for self satisfaction.

If you like, you can take a week off to go do the static dungeons and the Alvin/Dodge quest which after over a year in commercial phase, is the only quest availble to all players.

If buffing noobies or killing the Trash King for others is fullfilling, more power to you.

For the rest of us who realized that after learning how to implant and follow rights in missions that there isn't anything else to do but pvp, allow us to wallow in our misery.

No matter what game you play, you will eventually grow bored. This game has the shortest life span of anything I've ever played. The only thing I haven't done is kill every unique spawn in the game. I have a level 143 Mp. I played every other prof up to level 80 or so. I spent less then two months. I was to be honest, bored after the first month.