Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Death of a Fixer ..... the SL murder of a profession

Unhappy Death of a Fixer ..... the SL murder of a profession

In the not too distant past, there was a class of character in the world of AO whose usefulness was second to none. They were known as the Fixers. They had a vast variety of buffs that made them an invaluable addition to any group. Buffs that made you run fast, and buffs that sped up your health recovery. They could slow down, or even immediately stop that mob from charging at you. They even provided a buff that gave you room to hold even more buffs! They could evac your group from what could be a very nasty situation, all the while without concern that it crippled them for a time. They were also extremely self sufficient. Using many of the same tactics they use for a group, they could pry themselves from many sticky situations with the simple cast of an AOE snare to buy them time to escape from harm.

What happened to them you ask?

Well....... its been rumored that they were nerfed into oblivian when the Shadowlands were discovered. That they were stripped of many of the things that made them of value to a group. Although some of the things that were taken from them were replaced by more inferior counterparts, they just weren't the same class that they used to be. Nowadays, a group doesn't really need them, because the adventurer and doctor can still give you the buffs that they can't. Its been said that they really did try to survive through the Shadowlands, but it was just too much trouble.

HEY... LOOK...... there goes a fi....... nevermind, that was an adventurer.
    Jennyfyr - TTL7 Fixer and proud Omni General of Alphastrike

The majority represents society. And if the majority of people around you think you're an idiot, you can reasonably assume yourself to be a social outcast

So true, speed that most people dont even want, advies have better. Snares that dont slow mobs down with tiny duration.
    no area snares, no roots, evacs that dont work yet and when they do you have to unequip your range extender, no grid like fast travel, we have the same hots and worse defence then before. Its like a whole new gimpy profession :/
    We may not be entirely alone in SL gimpdom, but certainly at the top considering most abilities are gone.
    Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury

agreed. my fixer alt "left rubi-ka" (got deleted) for this exact reason. and ill bet im not alone in this
    jeepers

*former soldier, now adventurer
    *were-leet and defender of leet-kind
    *proud member of devils advocates

Originally posted by Alantria
    top considering most abilities are gone.
    fixer ties with crat and trader, all or crat crap is broken too, no roots work/ calms don't work/ and all out cool stuff is gone :-( thanks FC keep your shtuff I am done with you, I'd rather be an elven ranger in EQ then a GIMP
    Originally posted by Brueskie
    In fact, it can quickly become a pain being begged to enter teams when you have no desire to level at all. It's kind of like a slap in the face; all these teams want you for your SK bonuses so they can level up quicker and become all the more uber while you don't get diddly-squat for leveling comparison. No thanks.

I do not need to be negative about the situation with fixers to demonstrate concretely that it is A Bad Thing. I simply need only relate the following:

Five out of fifteen of my friends who were planning to buy/play the game decided not to because I explained the class they were itching to play wasn't viable throughout the end game. The remaining fifteen (we play as a group most times) are now waiting or have decided not to play AO because they're not sure the classes they select will be safe from this kind of thing happening in the future.

(Not a knock to those playing fixers, mind you. Simply pointing out that irrespective of opinions on level of negativity, I can pointedly demonstrate at least this one situation where people have decided not to play the game AT ALL due to what they have heard.)

Take it with a grain (or if needed, a block) of salt.

Hope FC has balanced some of these issues out by the time my lil fixer breaks 200. In the meantime he's still a demigod on RK in GA3... tanking 257 sentries (no doc on team) at level 128. I don't feel nerfed topside.

Any of you uber vets got duplicates of GA4?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

This is one of the main reasons I made my thread about letting us gain SK on RK.

Even if they fix faction, even if they fix quests, its still gonna take them a LONG time to get the Professionals program going again and getting us worth a damn again.

What can I say, call me shallow but being a gimp aint fun ;_; It just sucks dying in SL and saying "wow, I wouldnt have died here if I had GSF" or "I wouldnt have died here if I have evac" or "I wouldnt have died here if I had roots/snares" OR "I wouldnt have died here if I had a damn MAP".

etc.. so.. bump.
    Sarenn 209 / 9 Fixer - Armor Setup omg outdated

Jup, its a sad thingy...

crats are likely to get back their area root, it would be nice if our area snares would be given back too...
    recently i heard vanya sing:
    WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO
    AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW

So imagine my frustration when my main (Fixer) gets nerfed straight to hell, my favorite alt (crat) brcomes almost worthless (come on....screw the area root...I want my mezz back), and I decide to roll a shade...not knowing that they were gimped out of the box!

So frustrating...I take off my GA, and swap everything around to go to SL.....get there and get killed by a green mob that hits for 1/3 of my HP.

I go to SL for a few min after each patch, to see if it's bearable yet, or not. So far, Not.

Maybe eventually, FC will listen to their players and figure out why the playfields of SL are empty, and that people don't like being stripped of everything that made their profession fun to begin with.

I hope..
    "Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."

So far Crat is one of the most powerfull profession in SL. Dont know how they work in Penumbra, but for sure they rock in Nascence to Adonis. Guildy almost soloed the Penumbra Ring and Penumbra Shades.

Fixer arent that bad either. Acrobat is a nice Perk, HoTs are great in SL. The RS buffs arnt that uber but still ok. Sure Fixer could use a viable Profession Perk line, some more Nano lines for SL and a better weapon. But every profession is complaining right now, so stop the whining and be constructive

Originally posted by Bierbauch
    Fixer arent that bad either. Acrobat is a nice Perk, HoTs are great in SL. The RS buffs arnt that uber but still ok. Sure Fixer could use a viable Profession Perk line, some more Nano lines for SL and a better weapon. But every profession is complaining right now, so stop the whining and be constructive
    Look, I only play one char a lvl 200 fixer. I tell you, umm, its no fun anymore. Fixers are really 'nerfed into oblivian'. I cann't do crap in SL.

Well, I don't usually whine, but my 'constructive' alternative is currently down for maintenance

I got a level 200 Fixer myself and I think he is far from gimped. Still like my Enforcer more in SL though

Our Hots are underpowered compared to others (we are the masters of regeneration ) our speed is lower than others (we are the masters of fast travel ) half our new nano lines dont work (kinda used to this by now ) we have no GREAT perk line, most of our perk lines are useless , our roots and snares dont work .

Kinda feels like pre 14.4 again

hugs
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Lil you call THAT constructive ?

I got a level 200 Fixer myself and I think he is far from gimped. Still like my Enforcer more in SL though
    No, he is gimped. Period. End of Discussion.

And this is what I call a contructive post

Heheh its FAR too late in the day for me to be constructive, ask me tomorrow

But if you want constructive, either FC should give us back what we are supposed to be good at (Speed, travel, Hots, Dodging damage and encounters), or tell us what new areas we are supposed to be good in. SL took more away from the fixer profession than it gave us.

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Fixers playing in Rubi-ka are one of the most powerful professions in AO. They have the best equipment available, and yes as someone said before can be like gods. Since SL came out they just like every other class in SL (and only SL). So welcome to our world.

SL is about a change in play styles, and most of the fixers I know are adapting. SL is different, you need to learn how to play it differently. Fixers can do quite well in SL. The only thing I dont like is that they nerfed run buffs in SL.
    Steelyeye, Omni soldier 192 - The original, RK1.
    Goodcoffee, Omni crat 121 - Because crats are cool, RK1.
    Suppo, Omni trader 20 - First time on Rimor *smiles*, RK2.

Originally posted by Steelyeye
    Fixers playing in Rubi-ka are one of the most powerful professions in AO. They have the best equipment available, and yes as someone said before can be like gods. Since SL came out they just like every other class in SL (and only SL). So welcome to our world.

SL is about a change in play styles, and most of the fixers I know are adapting. SL is different, you need to learn how to play it differently. Fixers can do quite well in SL. The only thing I dont like is that they nerfed run buffs in SL.
    'Best equipment available', well GA I would agree, but Azure, Omni and Sentinel armour are Fixer only?

'Can be like gods'. OMG, GA is not God mode in AO, when do people stop thinking that?

'SL is different, you need to learn how to play it differently.'

Nope SL is NOT about play styles. I really don't know who came up with that load of ****. Tell me what kind of 'style' should I adapt in SL?

- Kite? Oops, no roots, 50sec snares, and anyways mobs have insane range

- Use the perks efficiently? Well anyone with half a brain will work out how to time perks like Acrobat and Deceptice Stance. But that is not enough if Green Mobs still cut through those perks like butter and hit you for 1k-3k damage.

- Upgrade your armour if you had GA? I got full azure, a 230ish life tower, and I still feel gimpy

- Change weapons? Tried Manex, Mausser, Dual-wielded both PLSs (Professional Light Suppressors) and ILBs (Illicit Laser Backups - which I still use besides the Manex). Nada, offensive play as a fixer is NOT an option in SL. You'll die tryin

'Fixers can do quite well in SL' - No, they don't. Period. End of Discussion. Really.

Fixers were never that uber on Rubika. I presume that you dont play a fixer. I'm only talking PVM here, fixers aren't that great in PVP either but lots of people consider us "annoying" in pvp since we're so hard to kill, a fair assessment.

GA4 is great soloing tool, but thats about it. Contrary to popular belief it does not allow you to solo Tara or The Pest or really much of anyone that other profs can't solo with hard work. In teams, its a nice protection that you don't have to worry if the doc is drunk or sleepy so much, but, there are at least 5 or 6 professions that will easily outdamage you so you'll rarely have aggro anyway. Fixers used to have decent taunting facilities through snares in combination with aggression enhancers etc but since snares have been de-tauntified, its almost impossible for a fixer to get aggro off of anyone, least of all a sitting doc.

Other than GA4, which is still exceedingly rare and fairly expensive, I dont know where you're getting the idea that RK fixers are any more uber than (Pre-AR nerf) Enf, Soldier, Trader, NT, Agent, etc.

Aside from losing GA in SL, we lost our self-reliance (well, you're right in this case, ALL professions lost self-reliance in SL) - we can't travel anywhere any faster than anyone else, in fact, slower than an Adv. Our HOTS are nice but other professions have better ones now, and ours have not been scaled up to match the insane damage SL mobs dish out. How many Enfs about to tank Ian ask for a HOT? Evacs were a great feature for a team, but even when our SL-evacs are fixed, they will hardly be a replacement as they're self only. We can't save a team anymore, we can only be the weasel bailing out ourselves and leaving the rest of the team to die. We can't aid anyone elses transport, between our self-only evac and team-only runbuffs. Probably the most important thing we lost tho, IMO, was roots and snares and kiting. Kiting is about the most defining fixerish thing to do, and its basically impossible in SL, and its been nerfed even in RK. If I had roots I could survive the trip to Ergo in Adonis. Plenty of other professions can survive the trip to ergo in Adonis, its not like asking to be able to do is uber ^_^

We're not "just like every other class in SL", although I agree many have been nerfed, but we've been hit the hardest, we have lost basically all of our profession abilities and gained nothing in return - and we werent THAT uber to begin with.
    Sarenn 209 / 9 Fixer - Armor Setup omg outdated

My philosophy has always been that change is a good thing. It forces you to try different things, change your stratagies. In the end you end up with a better character. SL been out what 1 2 months do you thing that everything that need to be found or do has been done? Maybe there is something out there that will change your character for the better.

I dont know about you guys but I was tired of doing these endless missions over and over again. I am pretty sure I can do a ql 200+ team mission without dying. SL has to me atleast been a nice change in pace. Is SL perfect, hell no. Is there a chance it will get better, I would say yes.

I will admit that fixers did get shafted in SL, but to say you cant do anything in SL is wrong. Good players learn to adapt. Fixers I seen in SL do quite well. One thing players are thinking is that you can solo SL, well you cant. SL is a team oriented game You need a team to be successful. Can a team survive without Fixer HOT/speed buffs/evacs, yes they can. Is it nice to have those thing in SL yes it would. So you learn different tactics to replace the old. To get to ergo, in scheol, then to adonis, you need a team.

I am not trying to knock on fixers I just saying that instead of waiting for FC to solve your profs problems tried learning to adapt. Fixers are just as good as any other class in SL.
    Steelyeye, Omni soldier 192 - The original, RK1.
    Goodcoffee, Omni crat 121 - Because crats are cool, RK1.
    Suppo, Omni trader 20 - First time on Rimor *smiles*, RK2.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast