Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Death of a Fixer ..... the SL murder of a profession

Originally posted by Yyerinfahr
    SL is not the bane of the fixer class. This is not the death of the fixer. If my time in AO has taught me anything - there will always be fixers. Yes, its tough. Yes we're weak. Yes, you may shelve your fixer and move onto another class -if- you decide to keep playing. To be honest, I've taken breaks - however not one of them has been due to the playability of the fixer class, mostly an overall head cleaning... Bitch, complain, whine, rant... it doesn't matter - seriously... you are a number and a statistic. I remember fixers whose names very few people would know. I remember hunting at the temple with Urhurt and Ragingdragon, passing out guns to other fixers with Sheitz, hanging with Whiterrabbit and Jimmysav. I remember Feathers, my mentor, the fixer who taught me how to be a fixer... A\Besides Feathers, who is only listed in the DB because the player is still around (playing a shade now), all of those fixers are gone... along with Redhill, Skymt, and a host of other GREAT fixers I have known.

I am a fixer. I was ruined on my first day from playing any other class. I enjoy challenges, difficulties, constant playbalance shifts, and an otherwise definite lack of dominance. When we were broken - broken FAR worse than we are now, I enjoyed fixers. When we were successful however, I watched the fixer class grow grubby and greedy (as well as the general populace of RK) and it sickened my stomach - really. I am pompous, righteous, and otherwise self serving when it comes to the survival of the fixers. You're either in this for the long haul, or you're not. If you are, get constructive, and be a POSITIVE voice of the fixers. If you're not, hand your hackers club chip in at the desk, and don't let the door hit you in the back on your way out - we know you won't be gridding anytime soon. Don't dawdle, don't whine, don't think you're the next Spartacus - if you can't bear it, just go. Get constructive or get out. The class isn't dead, it isn't dying its selectively pruning the weakest branches. If its too much for you, guess what? You're weak. Enjoy your class for what it offers, place constructive criticism when necessary - but the class isn't dying... you may be, but the class isn't... It will still be coded and included in the game whether you're here or not.

Get tough, look tough, live tough... You're a fixer, damnit... Yeah, other classes have it better, yeah it isn't fair or balanced... you tell me, when has AO ever been balanced? We've been at the bottom of the heap; we've been at the top of the heap... Here's a hint, don't measure yourself in comparrison with what you're not. If you are jealous of the adventurer, be an adventurer... If you're a fixer, be the best damn fixer you CAN be... if you're still coming up short, well... wait a while, winds change.

Ahh... Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I look forward to the countless flames and "STFU n00b!"s that I'm sure I'll get back... Hey folks, trust me, I can take it... I'm a fixer.

-Yy
    I'm Spartacus

All jokes aside

Good to see some of the old sinews are still where they should be

You folks listen to this man, he's been through hell and high water, he and I refused the first GA rk2 ever saw, diffirence is he kept kicking himself for it. No matter what FC throws at the fixer class believe you me, we have seen worse. And who knows we might even see worse before its over. Just remember this that while things may seem bleak and hopeless they might always get worse, so if your complaining to the point of breaking now....do us all a favour and go to the NT forum and leave us be.

I have seen my share of whining in here, I've been flamed to the point of me starting to use a flame thrower (Yes I did use a flame thrower for quite a few lvls and this people is before there were even rumours of an IPR).

So the moral of the story is (pun intended) take what the old timers say with some grade of respect they have been around the block a few times. Yy a few times more than most. So if he says things aint that bad....they probly arent.

-Eka
    Run Buffed Fixers finish fast
    Devgodz on Amnra

I can perfectly relate to the 'old timers' since in a way I'm one of them.

However one thing I can't stand is being dragged through the mud. Just cause we've actually been IN the mud while others were dragged over it, doesn't mean we shouldn't complain.

I try and try and try some more to take a different viewpoint in all of this. But I can't. The only way I can look at the current situation for fixers is this: We pay $30 for a new expansion, pay an extra $3 a month for our accounts, then get kicked in the teeth with steel toed boots when it comes to the expansion we just paid for. I worked hard, damn hard, to get my fixer where he is. Now? He's a novelty. Almost nothing special about him, unlike pretty much every other prof out there. Our functionality is pretty much gone.

That is why I won't just take all this with a Coke and a smile. I haven't even played the game in the past week because frankly, I'm disgusted every time I log into my fixer and spend an hour or two "looking for a group". Oh, btw, that phrase now means buffing everyone and their dog with speed, hots, and fgrids while I keep hitting my hotkeyed "Level 151 fixer LFT!!!".

There's supposed to be a new patch tomorrow. Supposedly has a lot of love in it. Well, all I've gotta say, is if there isn't something substantial for fixers, I'll be taking my last walk to the top of the fixer grid.

Well this is a sad song, and a song I have heard before. But like then this will be fixed. Perhaps it was time to weed out the bus jumpers from the fixers.
    Devgodz on Amnra

Please for the love of all that is eternally good stop with the Im a real fixer because I like FC's poor designs and can eternally wait in full bliss and your not because you dont.
    Yes it will likelly be fixed, but when?
    People post because they liked the game and liked their character, they would like to enjoy it again but dont see this happening, if they dont see this happening it gives them a rather dreary feeling that they will leave the game as it no longer provides the fun it used to, and clearly theyd rather not do this.
    Its dissapointment, it has nothing to do with jumping ships, jumping ships would be rolling an adventurer or enforcer and forgetting all about fixers.
    Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury

Oh man when threads go on like this it makes me sad :*(

Poor poor Hurrey forever a gimp in the eyes of the world, but i still love him.

Hurrey
    Inner Monkey
    Hurrey - Hurrey
    Abbel - Abbel
    "Originally post by __________Crin
    Here ends the story. And the Fixers found their purpose. They are the Bards of Rubi-Ka. Lying face down in the gutter after drinking themselves into oblivioin. Funcom knew it all along. They just wanted us to figure it out for ourselves. Way to go Funcom. Way to go Fixers."

Originally posted by Sarenn
    Fixers were never that uber on Rubika. I presume that you dont play a fixer. I'm only talking PVM here, fixers aren't that great in PVP either but lots of people consider us "annoying" in pvp since we're so hard to kill, a fair assessment.

GA4 is great soloing tool, but thats about it. Contrary to popular belief it does not allow you to solo Tara or The Pest or really much of anyone that other profs can't solo with hard work. In teams, its a nice protection that you don't have to worry if the doc is drunk or sleepy so much, but, there are at least 5 or 6 professions that will easily outdamage you so you'll rarely have aggro anyway. Fixers used to have decent taunting facilities through snares in combination with aggression enhancers etc but since snares have been de-tauntified, its almost impossible for a fixer to get aggro off of anyone, least of all a sitting doc.

Other than GA4, which is still exceedingly rare and fairly expensive, I dont know where you're getting the idea that RK fixers are any more uber than (Pre-AR nerf) Enf, Soldier, Trader, NT, Agent, etc.

Aside from losing GA in SL, we lost our self-reliance (well, you're right in this case, ALL professions lost self-reliance in SL) - we can't travel anywhere any faster than anyone else, in fact, slower than an Adv. Our HOTS are nice but other professions have better ones now, and ours have not been scaled up to match the insane damage SL mobs dish out. How many Enfs about to tank Ian ask for a HOT? Evacs were a great feature for a team, but even when our SL-evacs are fixed, they will hardly be a replacement as they're self only. We can't save a team anymore, we can only be the weasel bailing out ourselves and leaving the rest of the team to die. We can't aid anyone elses transport, between our self-only evac and team-only runbuffs. Probably the most important thing we lost tho, IMO, was roots and snares and kiting. Kiting is about the most defining fixerish thing to do, and its basically impossible in SL, and its been nerfed even in RK. If I had roots I could survive the trip to Ergo in Adonis. Plenty of other professions can survive the trip to ergo in Adonis, its not like asking to be able to do is uber ^_^

We're not "just like every other class in SL", although I agree many have been nerfed, but we've been hit the hardest, we have lost basically all of our profession abilities and gained nothing in return - and we werent THAT uber to begin with.
    OMG Everything you said is like exactly what I would have said...

Your like my twin or somethin, your probably a 200 solitus fixer with ga4 on RK1 like me =p

Originally posted by Alantria
    stop with the Im a real fixer because I like FC's poor designs and can eternally wait in full bliss and your not because you dont.
    Well first of there is a slight diffirence between your reality and mine, Im on Rimor. And like you perhaps know, fixers on Rimor are a compleatly diffirent breed. Here we have something that makes us special. We got each other, the community. And I'll tell you the good old fixer love patch, bless its memory, did about as much damage to that community as any single thing could.
    Phixxors. The bane of the Fixer. You see its cause of these people and the narrow minded thinking of others, that people thing GA is uber. Cause a bunch of lvl 50-70 twinks in GA I were running around in "godmode" due to good items, high end implants and god knows what else. Its cause of these people that within 2 weeks from the patch the Nerf the fixer cryes started. You remeber what that felt like? Haveing been the gimpies proffession of all for a long long time, then finally when we get some love, an group of total 1'm Ub3r idiots comes along and ruins the whole thing. Well excuse me if Im a bit jaded and harsh towards those who are complaining about haveing it bad now....I've been here for a long long time.

People like that made it impossible for fixers to get anything from raides...or so I heard, since the problem never hit us that hard here on Rimor. But the point is, perhaps a little hard time is enought to scare the boat jumpers off and those who truly love being fixers will remain.

You see to me being a fixer is not haveing GA, its not haveing HoT that are uber, hell its even about haveing grid or run nano's. Its about one thing. Attitude and Style over Substance.

If you wish to disagree with me, then knock yourself out.

Eka
    Last edited by Ekasel; Nov 6th, 2003 at 14:37:40.
    Devgodz on Amnra

Originally posted by Ekasel
    .......You see to me being a fixer is not haveing GA, its not haveing HoT that are uber, hell its even about haveing grid or run nano's. Its about one thing. Attitude and Style over Substance.

If you wish to disagree with me, then knock yourself out.

Eka
    Slyyk knocks himself out

I agree about the GA and HoTs part, but disagree about speed and travel (aka Grid) part. Alot of my "Fixer Package" entails me getting things for people, and getting them quickly from place to place. I might not have been around as long as you or Yy, but I've been around for a damned long time. I may not be on Rimor, but I'm a Fixer through and through.

That being said, I don't care what you say. You can spew all the hippy tree-hugging rhetoric and sing "We are the world" until you are blue in the face and I still won't agree with it. There's an old saying that says you should kiss someone before you screw them. Well, sometimes the getting screwed part isn't worth the getting kissed part.

I think that currently Shadowlands is the closest equivalent of "Fixer Hell" you could possibly think of. Unless the patch today has alot of things changed in Sls, it's just a place where my Fixer has no desire to go. I don't like it so I'll stay on Rubi-Ka and continue to not like Shadowlands.
    Last edited by Slyyk; Nov 6th, 2003 at 16:05:07.
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

You see to me being a fixer is not haveing GA, its not haveing HoT that are uber, hell its even about haveing grid or run nano's. Its about one thing. Attitude and Style over Substance.
    Given the choice between being a cool looking gimp and having a profession that retains functionality and balance with the abilities of other professions, I think I'd take the latter. You can continue to do what makes you happy, I won't step on your toes. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to be passive and take this lying down.

You've passed over Grid Armor. I'm proud of you, but I don't think that sets you on a pedestal. Ranting about Phixx0rz and 14.x bitterness is counter-productive. It's in the past. We need to focus on *now* and the future.
    "On the brink of the dark he stood, with only the dream of the cities, the million books, the spectral images of the people he had loved, who had loved him, whom he had known and lost. They will not come again. They never will come back again."

-Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938), Look Homeward, Angel

[B]
    And like you perhaps know, fixers on Rimor are a compleatly diffirent breed. Here we have something that makes us special. We got each other, the community.
    So, you're saying there's no such community on Atlantean?

What a curious thing to say. I'd almost even think it's disgustingly elitist.

No, scratch that. It is disgustingly elitist.

Phixxors. The bane of the Fixer.
    You have GOT to be kidding me. In essence, you're saying that because a bunch of immature little weasels acted like Paper Gods, the entire Fixer class should just bend over & happily accept being nerfed, because -- apparently -- our passive acceptance of this treatment somehow makes us "real fixers", rather than "bus jumpers"?????

Good Lord.

Well, personally, I kinda like "style" AND "substance" -- go figure, huh? Too bad that outside of Rubi-Ka, my substance is almost wholly diluted, which in turn seriously diminishes my style, too.

OTOH, maybe it's not Shadowlands at all: maybe I've been right, all along, & Anarchy Online is just a very badly designed, badly implemented money-hole, run by people who don't really give a rip about their customers.

Well I'm just gonna say this:

I don't like SL
    RK is and allways will be my home.. And I can't live without my grid
    Only thing I do like about SL is my Jobe apartment WITH grid... YAY!
    Metatuss - Hates hecklers as they were one eyed atroxes in swimming trunks!

WOW! 110 replies later, we still have quite the dilemma here. But I think the overall point has been duely noted. But for the self proclaimed "elite" amongst us, whatever server they may be on, i'll revisit the actual "point" once more:

I LIKED playing my fixer the way she was PRIOR to Shadowlands. I DON'T LIKE playing her the way she is NOW.
    I LIKED the fact that no matter where I hunted on RK, I could look forward to reaching level 200 anywhere in the game that I could get experience. I DON'T LIKE that I HAVE to hunt in SL to reach 220.

When I LIKE things, I have fun. When I DON'T LIKE things, I don't have any fun. It's not about being elite. It's about having choices. And if you think that i'm not a "real" player because I left, then you are truly a narrow minded individual with absolutely NO concept of whats happened. I didn't leave because my fixer was nerfed. I would have left no matter what class I was playing. I left because my choice was nerfed. Give me a way to reach level 220 on RK, and i'll reactivate my accounts in a red hot second. And thats the point I was making in my original post here.
    Jennyfyr - TTL7 Fixer and proud Omni General of Alphastrike

The majority represents society. And if the majority of people around you think you're an idiot, you can reasonably assume yourself to be a social outcast

We seem to be very unhappy with the nerf.
    Some want to wait for fixes.
    Others give up.

I wonder though, what was the reason behind the nerf in the first place? We certainly werent overpowered. The NT nano took care of the GA-PVP issue easily. Why kill all our nanos? Did we run too fast before? Did we root/snare too easily? Obviously i'm being sarcastic.

I completely understand the loss of the grid in SL would change the "way" that our nanos work. But we seem to be overlooking a fundamental.

"There is no spoon!"

The grid isnt real. Our nanos are just code that say:

"OnUse: Modify Target DuckExp xx
    Modify Target DodgeRanged xx
    Modify Target EvadeClsC xx
    Modify Target RunSpeed xxx"

The easiest solution is to alter the description field slighly to accomodate but instead the requirements field got altered.
    This indicates a bold plan to totally redo the nano lines and that would be a big undertaking. It's not something you should start when there is limited time.
    So did the devs plan to make all new nanos but run out of time? "Holy crap, we are behind schedule! How are the Fixers coming? What? WHAT? CRAP! Oh well, just put out what you have made anyway." Now Funcom has to play "catch-up" and dump more dev-time into fixing what would have been an easy job. Somewhere out there is an angry programmer ready to strangle his or her boss or vice-versa.

The new nano situation has to be a mistake. I cant see why any business minded person would shoot themselves in the foot the way Funcom did.
    I know when I myself am at work building computers, I don't turn around and mangle drivers or the OS just before I'm about to ship one. I also don't ship PCs that arent a hundred percent either.

But that's just me. I couldn't stand for a customer to ever feel that my product wasn't the best it could be.
    RK2
    Qwikz - HUGE Inc.

"I should get one of those signs that says "One of these days I'm gonna get organezized".

Ultimately Qwikz, you are correct. And remember, Gaute promised us on multiple occasions that we would keep the runbuffs. It was said in HoCs, in interviews with gaming sites, anywhere and everywhere during the Pre-SL fear that we were experiencing. And somehow, that promise was never followed through on. Its never even been acknowledged, even though the statement was made as recently as this summer.

And perhaps I am just some powergaming Phixx0r, though I certainly dont think of myself as one, nor would anyone whom has met me I believe. But I do not believe that just because we were gimpy before that we should be content with being gimpy again. That is the exact sort of thinking that I despise in real life. Why is my country content with running a deficit budget after having the largest surplus in history? Because "we" are simply too busy sitting on our asses watching Fox News instead of working for change.

And when the fixers who are working for change are told to stop trying and just be grateful that we arent as bad as we were is like saying "at least this deficit isnt as bad as reagans (though its worse, this was just an example)". As Hoops said, the past is the past. We need to look towards the future.

Originally posted by Pancake

Prof: lvl190+ lvl201+
    Nano-Technician 448 56 12.50%
    Bureaucrat 178 18 10.11%
    Enforcer 648 54 8.33%
    Engineer 227 18 7.93%
    Adventurer 326 25 7.67%
    Soldier 760 56 7.37%
    Doctor 636 39 6.13%
    Meta-Physicist 212 13 6.13%
    Martial Artist 624 37 5.93%
    Agent 391 23 5.88%
    Trader 336 16 4.76%
    Fixer 532 18 3.38%

Post-level 200 - Are pet classes redundant in SL?
    Just look at those numbers. Maybe it says that Fixers are too lazy to level to 201. Or perhaps it says that fixers are actually broken. With the loss of multiple class defining nanos, many fixers seem to have lost interest/ability to gain SK. I can tell you this, everytime I go into SL for some org function, I go in kicking and screaming. I hate losing my runbuffs, and I hate losing my grid nanos. I dont use GA, and Im not surrounded by people who are decked out in Yuttos. Its not that I dont feel I can add to a team, its that I dont feel like I belong there. I chose this class because of the grid, pure and simple. The grid is to me, representative of the class. When Grid dueling came out (fun little game ) I used to taunt people saying that they shouldnt even try to defeat me, because frankly, no one else stands a chance in the grid but fixers.

And when I go to SL, I feel like... my worst nightmare, a gimpy soldier without TMS. My Fixer mentor would get in bitchy moods some days and start whining about how thats what we are, whether I liked it or not. I laughed, called him a gimp, and moved on, loving every bit of my fixer. And now, when I go to SL, really, what am I? I use a Manex, just like the half of RK that isnt using a Caterwaul. I have a Shadowweb (which I enjoy, though I still believe it should directly add to evades, and could benefit from increased AddAllDef, but thats just quibbling) which helps me avoid a few hits. And I have.... what? HoTs? Yeah, they are nice, but they dont compare to a Spirits damage output. A runbuff that does a third of what the one I use on RK does? A snare that lasts 20 seconds and doesnt slow the mob down (not that it matters, since I cant get out of the range of a heckler since its somehow able to throw stones eleventy billion miles)?

I seriously feel like an anachronism in SL. I have no reason to belong there. I am not an explorer, I am a "legitimate" businessperson. I am not a meta-physical guru, I am a computer hacker. I am not a nano-technological genius, but I am pretty good at hacking into some equipment and giving myself something of worth out of nothing. I feel as obsolete as 486DX (my first computer, rest her soul, we were poor and couldnt get into the scene with the amiga revolution ).

I dont want to be uber. Never have. I do want to be a Fixer. And maybe to some being a fixer is just wearing black clothes and sunglasses at midnight. It is a part of it for me, and I love that part of it. But its not the entirity of being a fixer for me. I love the feeling of "oh, we have a fixer in the team, sweet!" that I get sometimes when I join a team. It brings a smile to my face. We arent the tank/heal/calm that people seek out. But when we are in, people are happy to see us. Because we bring with us a suite of skills that is unique and beneficial to the team. When I am in SL, I dont feel like I am either unique or beneficial, except as a damage dealer.

If its too much to ask to just be what I *thought* a Fixer was (and what was seemingly the consensus among Fixer Mains) I understand, I guess. I have no desire to really play another class. I have tried, many times. And I keep coming back to my fixer. She is just fun to play, on RK. And it feels to me that what the majority of the people with Fixer mains (I seperate this from people who rolled the fixer alt to be uber, since I certainly do believe that band-wagoneering hindered the profession, much like trader pvp twinks have hindered theirs) who are here really just want to have fun with their Fixers again. We want to feel like Fixers, not just look like one.
    Last edited by Racquel; Nov 7th, 2003 at 04:10:33.
    streaz18 - Women love Opifex in bed. I have just as much stamina as a solitus, I am much more agile, and I can sense how they like it in ways a solitus male could only dream of.
    ESA - 80/53/46
    Narysta is levelling again!

Racquel, if my english would be as good as yours, i would have said it the same way

Nice post
    recently i heard vanya sing:
    WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO
    AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW

This thread makes me sad

btw, anyone heard tha MP's are supposedly getting a new team heal (perk) line, that'll further increase their healing abilities ? (btw. belamorte is already better than Hots)
    I am not, mark my words, crying for nerfs, I am just wondering where the fixer luving has gone off to?
    Kingpin heading for a different grid exit...

"I am just wondering where the fixer luving has gone off to?"

It's sitting on RK twiddling its thumbs wondering how to get into SL

Originally posted by Alantria
    "I am just wondering where the fixer luving has gone off to?"

It's sitting on RK twiddling its thumbs wondering how to get into SL
    Having tried all fixer grid exits, it's pretty baffled that none of them managed to get it to Shadowlands where its services are needed the most.
    Kiisu, TL 7 fixer of Project-Starlight, RK2.
    Eevatytar, LVL 220 keeper of Project-Starlight, RK2.

Fixers don't need a new pair of glasses, they need a miracle!

maybe we should all go stand at our popular hangouts, /term all at the same time, log out, and never play our fixers again....
    Brodarious 208 Fixer
    Fayefay 202 Keeper
    Blancomeow 154 Trader
    Steviecheese 90 Agent
    MsPokes 82 Martial Artist
    Demophoon 70 Adventurer
    Weyo 59 Doctor
    Mrblinks 49 Enforcer

Sort of like that march thingie Mp's had, well we could one up it, take 30-50 fixers near a reclaim and terminate over and over till there are about 500 little corpses on the ground, yes its morbid and over the top, but Im just so curious what that would look like

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast