Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: /rp command

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    There will be no restrictions or penalties to such a feature. It is simply a way to flag your character visibly for others to see that you are roleplaying. No more and no less then that.
    I understand the logic behind adding the /rp command, but all it effectively did was increase the population of people "roleplaying" excited 7 year olds with cool little = around their name by 4000%. This doesn't make it any easier to tell who is actually roleplaying or not because people seem to be using it non-stop, whether they are roleplaying or not, just because they can.
    Last edited by Totenmacher; Jun 23rd, 2008 at 16:23:37.

The consensus on Rimor is that this idea was not thought out enough and because of that fact, entirely useless.

Many in the community will not use it, and I believe this number will grow. I have used it for roughly a week, and will no longer be using it due to the fact it was an Epic Fail.

As I stated in AARP the other night; Make /RP define your character - Blue Name, Displaying your Full name, etc. When in /RP mode it Disables your ability to earn XP, SK, AXP or VP. This won't prevent people from just turning it on, but it will prevent the Ronco approach we have now of "Set it and Forget it" and I have the feeling that when people forget to toggle it off and don't get VP or SK, they'll turn it off and not want to turn it back on just for the sake of having it on.
    Last edited by Trousers; Jun 23rd, 2008 at 16:40:22.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

People will get over it and settle down after a bit. Give it time. There will never, ever, ever be a 100% foolproof way of knowing whether someone truly is RPing or whether they're just mucking about or trying to wind RPers up. Mechanical restrictions would be lame.
    This is my disillusioned, cynical and lazy Engi rights activist account.
    Quitter092 Placard holder
    Ophiuchus 220/30/70
    Bombqueen 75 frewb
    Lots of random non engis.

Until pets behave reliably, their stats are irrelevant.

/rp is the coolest thing ever. Everyone who doesn't think so, is emo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyzero View Post
    /rp is the coolest thing ever.
    I'm willing to bet you would be entertained for hours by a set of shiny keys hanging from a door frame by a rubber band.

:P

/rp (on)
    /laugh
    /flip
    /moon
    /puke
    /rp (off)

Quote Originally Posted by Totenmacher View Post
    I'm willing to bet you would be entertained for hours by a set of shiny keys hanging from a door frame by a rubber band.

LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS! LOL KEYS!

Quote Originally Posted by Totenmacher View Post

ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!
    ooooh shiny pritty keys!

'precious' ohhhhhh

While I agree the rp command is being misused, I don't think that the solution is enforcing a penalty while the command is active (i.e., lack of xp reward, inability to engage in combat, etc.). Role play should not be something independent of game play, the two should operate together. Being in-character and doing Inferno missions are not mutually exclusive. If we want a real effective deterrent, how about /rp mode enabling a chat filter that bleeps out all leet speak?
    Ferrex "Sanqq" Baldwin
    General
    Department of Entertainment
    ~Society of Salvation~

Quote Originally Posted by Sanqq View Post
    While I agree the rp command is being misused, I don't think that the solution is enforcing a penalty while the command is active (i.e., lack of xp reward, inability to engage in combat, etc.). Role play should not be something independent of game play, the two should operate together. Being in-character and doing Inferno missions are not mutually exclusive. If we want a real effective deterrent, how about /rp mode enabling a chat filter that bleeps out all leet speak?
    Why isn't leet speak RP?
    I hear kids and even "grown ups" speak/type leet speak in everyday life.
    Why wouldn't people do that thousands of years in the future?

Remove the /rp command, and replace it with a nano crystal.

Make the quest for nano crystal take 3 months to complete, requires the reguritation of the entire Rubi-Ka timeline 100% verbatim, followed by a formal interview with Devdas, Ninanna & 5 totally drunk dyslexic Clan/Omni/Neut RP'ers.

Following that, the prospective RP'er must meet in one of the back rooms of Reet Retreat, bend over a table, and then.... well you get the idea.

Anyways, then you get your crystal and you can get a pretty colour above your head.

(i'm sure some would just do it purely for the table bit)
    Last edited by Zeephonz; Jun 24th, 2008 at 07:06:58.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Quote Originally Posted by Ober View Post
    Why isn't leet speak RP?
    How does it sound when they talk long sentences with no vowels?
    Don't think I have ever heard that
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpeline View Post
    If you've ever had your head slammed in a car door - It's the sound of the noise in your head afterward.

Actually, I think this is a pretty well thought out idea. Soon enough all the non-rp types will have the = = around their name and the roleplayers won't. So, it works, but in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpeline View Post
    Like my grandmother when she takes her teeth out.
    Waiting for a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    As I stated in AARP the other night; Make /RP define your character - Blue Name, Displaying your Full name, etc. When in /RP mode it Disables your ability to earn XP, SK, AXP or VP. This won't prevent people from just turning it on, but it will prevent the Ronco approach we have now of "Set it and Forget it" and I have the feeling that when people forget to toggle it off and don't get VP or SK, they'll turn it off and not want to turn it back on just for the sake of having it on.
    This makes sense, so people can still RP tower battles or whatever, but can't abuse the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ober View Post
    Why isn't leet speak RP?
    It must be said, many terms originating on the internet are now in common use as part of the english language, lol, rofl, wtf, wtb, etc, are all spoken quite frequently among pretty much everyone know or have met in the last five years or so and who fall within the 20-35 age bracket... Some are more common among MMO players, other among LJ users, still more among members of different online communities. The point is, it's normal everyday language now, so hardly out of character, particularly for, say, a fixer or suchlike.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Quote Originally Posted by Tryqz View Post
    It must be said, many terms originating on the internet are now in common use as part of the english language, lol, rofl, wtf, wtb, etc, are all spoken quite frequently among pretty much everyone know or have met in the last five years or so and who fall within the 20-35 age bracket... Some are more common among MMO players, other among LJ users, still more among members of different online communities. The point is, it's normal everyday language now, so hardly out of character, particularly for, say, a fixer or suchlike.
    I've never heard a person say "lol' or 'rofl' as a natural response to something. From time to time I may say "W. T. F. Mate" to a friend, but out of Jest but in natural speech I'd say "What the F-Bomb".

In Vicinity one should never '/v lol' when they can '/me laughs out loud'.

In my personal opinion if I saw someone say 'rofl' instead of emoting their character is laughing, they need a talking to about standards in roleplaying.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I've never heard a person say "lol' or 'rofl' as a natural response to something. From time to time I may say "W. T. F. Mate" to a friend, but out of Jest but in natural speech I'd say "What the F-Bomb".

In Vicinity one should never '/v lol' when they can '/me laughs out loud'.

In my personal opinion if I saw someone say 'rofl' instead of emoting their character is laughing, they need a talking to about standards in roleplaying.
    Sadly enough, I have heard both "lol" and "rofl" spoken by co-workers, as well as "double-u tee eff" a many, many times. The first time I heard "lol" pronounced was in the context of "When I hear him say that, I lolled.". It took me, even relatively fluent in texting/leetspeak to deduce the meaning of the word "lolled" when spoken. Rofl, pronounce like "waffle" is very, very common among teenaged customers to the cafe i work at. And WTF is used by just about anyone in the 14-35 age bracket when actually swearing is inappropriate. Even my mother (just turned 60) is now using WTF thanks to hearing it's meaning from me once... >.< I've heard co-workers use "brb" when taking a break. I think that from an etymological standpoint, it's safe to assume that those "words" will remain with us for a good few years to come, and given that people in character as fixers (the hackers of RK) are in a way firmly rooted in 21st century hacker subculture, RP'ing fixers at least should be given rights to use those phrases. And all MPs should be forced to speak like that Architect guy from the Matrix when RP'ing....
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast