Anarchy Online Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Anarchy Online Bulletin Board > Community forums > Profession Academies > The Grid (Fixer)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:54:57   #41
chiot
Leetas
 
chiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
I haven't bought SL yet, and based upon everything I've heard, I won't anytime soon.

Everything I hated about EQ, they fixed in AO.

SL seems to have adopted everything I hated about EQ again. So I'll ignore it.

There's enough here on Rubi-Ka for me. Maybe in a year, SL will be worth playing. Right now, I'm not even going to bother with it. The Fixer perks certainly aren't worth paying money for.

Yes, I realize SL is only $19.95 as a download. Pretty cheap and inexpensive. But I'd rather not award Funcom for mediocrity.

(I'm also annoyed that in a bid to sell SL, they made the Keeper the new uber profession. Profits before game balance. And to make the Keeper that much more viable, they had to gimp the Fixer profession in the process. Keeper's are pretty much the new Fixer's of SL).
__________________
PtO.
chiot is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:03:35   #42
_______________Razza
Leet
 
_______________Razza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
....

my main gripe for stopping to play my fixer is seeing what an adventurer can do:

-better healing
-more damage
-faster speed
-has acrobat too
-has spatital displacement too
-on top of that, them got bioshielding for even more PvM and PvP uberness.

where is a fixer more usefull than an advent (in SL) ?

-ncu buffs? with yuttos they become more and more useless
-snares ? the SL snares suck, too short duration, not enough movement speed reduction
-evacs? 3sec castspeed hardcap blows and evacs are less usefull in SL
-shadowspinner and defensive stance ? bioshielding does much more for your defense PvM and PvP then the gimpy def stance at perk lvl 10 could ever dream of and has less of a recharge time.
-dodge ranged buff ? yay great in SL when most mobs check vs evade closecombat anyway (though that doesnt stop em from having a range like they would use a ranged weapon)

why should i play a fixer ? great if you can solo that heckler at full defensive, great if you can solo gray mobs etc etc. but name me one thing you can offer a team, you can do solo or you can do in PvP that an adventurer cant do better ? (in SL that is, ofc on rubika fixers are kind of ok still )

what fixers need are:

-new better HoTs
-better snares / AE snares workin in SL
-roots that work in SL
-enhance defensive stance perk to a level comparable to bioshielding
-more desirable run/evade buffs
-some new utility buffs for groups, and since we have buffs to upgrade NCU, why not have buffs that raise nanoresists or immunities vs certain nano programms, afterall we re hackers.

on a side topic i dont know what weird logic FC is using when designing fixer dual wield weapons.

why is it, that non-dual wield weapons for fixers always end up better then dual wielding ??? ( compare the cityblaster vs 2 ql300 jakes/QL 200 ILBs). excuse me, but if you spend extra IP in 1 more skill ( actually 2 more skills with most good dual weapons being hybrids - furthermore gimping ur AR), shouldnt you then get rewarded for the more-ip you use over someone else ?

i loved playing a fixer, i wanted to go dual wield 2 SMGs, but when i noticed that i d have to spend more IP to get less damage ... i lost my first illusion, and when SL hit.... i m just having fun with my agent now (although even with him i m kind of jealous of advents and MAs in SL, not saying "nerf em", but rather boost other classes .... imho especially fixers, traders and soldiers )

over and out
_______________Razza is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:12:37   #43
Yyerinfahr
Phear Leet
 
Yyerinfahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Countless threads say the same thing. There is a difference between "Murder of a profession" and a question of balancing. I'll agree FC needs to work on balancing, but do I expect it soon? No way - I'm a pesimist when it comes to that. I'm optimistic of our survival, pesimistic about when the reinforcements come. Dig in, work hard, get used to disappointment.

We won't know for a long time what plans FC has for the fixer class. Its a closed box, it always has been. Pre-14.4, hell... pre-13.6 or so... we were promised something "Super-duper-cool" I still have yet to quite figure out what the hell it was... though maybe it was the fixer grid... really can't remember that far back...

Whining does NOT improve the game, constructively stating your issues, working hard to achieve your abilities, and helping lower level fixers does (oh, and the traditional fixer humor). If you insist on leading, you will always be the first to find problems. Improvements in the game will always be for those who follow in your footsteps, not for you. Make AO a better place for someone else, and perhaps you'll find more of a reason to take some pride in who you are and where you came from.

SL will change - rest assured in that... FC is aware many people are unhappy - rest assureed in that too. The question is, what are you willing to do with your time while you wait? If you are going to quit, quit. If you are going to start an alt or a new main until you feel uber, good luck.

Issues will not and cannot change overnight, unless its patch-night. Opinions have been stated, problems have been noted... now try to overcome them. If you fail, try again... if you fail again, try again until something works. If nothing works - either wait til patch day, roll a new toon, or pack your bags. Yes its frustrating, yes its broken, yes you have to do stupid stupid things to get shadowlevels (I do know this). However Shadowlevel things affect everyone, thats *probably* a top priority of the devs, but has little to do with the specifics of being a fixer - enforcers are mad about it too... As far as fixer things? Well, state it... work with what you've got, and HOPE that the guy coding whatever fixes for the fixer are in store works quickly. But don't expect massive changes anytime soon, all changes take a long while, massive ones take longer.

The next patch notes are out, it sounds like there are definite changes in the works, many of which address stated fixer issues. Either hold out for the patch, or head out... get patched, see if its better, and if it isn't, start a new list of what's wrong... 30000 threads that say the same thing don't make it better. Email support, report bugs, and expect things to be tedious. But, make the most of what you have - don't just flap your yap...

Bah... This is why I need my cane...
-Yy
__________________
Sometimes, old fixers die in Bitterness.
Yyerinfahr is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:17:36   #44
chiot
Leetas
 
chiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
I'm not going to stop playing my Fixer. I'm only level 101. I'm still fairly uber here in Rubi-Ka. I just don't see any point in playing SL, in its current state, until FC get around to "fixing" it.

I love my Fixer ... my Rubi-Ka fixer. I'm in no rush to play the SL version of the Fixer. There's enough frustration in my life as it is ... I don't need a game to add more of it.

I'll one day buy SL and will happily play my Fixer there. But FC isn't getting one penny of my money until they prove to me that SL is worth my time playing.
__________________
PtO.
chiot is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:23:01   #45
____________Alantria
Supa Leet
 
____________Alantria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
So Yy, what are you trying to say
__________________
Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury
____________Alantria is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:37:19   #46
Slyyk
Supa Leet
 
Slyyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by Yyerinfahr
SL is not the bane of the fixer class. This is not the death of the fixer. If my time in AO has taught me anything - there will always be fixers. Yes, its tough. Yes we're weak....
Agreed. You just won't be seeing many Fixers in Shadowlands unless they are leeching on a guild team. Less once the new profession nanos start dropping and otherwise becoming available. Having a Fixer will actually be a liability because you'll need every member of the team to make a decent contribution via new nanos and stacking of perk specials.

Quote:
I enjoy challenges, difficulties, constant playbalance shifts, and an otherwise definite lack of dominance.
I like challenges too but taking away almost my entire toolset isn't just a difficulty, it's crippling.

Quote:
If you are, get constructive, and be a POSITIVE voice of the fixers. If you're not, hand your hackers club chip in at the desk, and don't let the door hit you in the back on your way out - we know you won't be gridding anytime soon.
You want constructive: "Stay on Rubi-Ka because you won't be gridding anything in Shadowlands no matter how long you've had your Hacker's Club Member Chip." How's that for constructive?

Quote:
Enjoy your class for what it offers
I enjoy it just fine on RK, no complaints here. I'm only 175 and in no hurry to get to level 200. Especially since by the time I do I will run mach II into the brick wall that is SLs. Unless of course the items Fixers will be getting haven't been added to the database along with all the other profs, simply for the pleasure of toying with us again.


Quote:
Here's a hint, don't measure yourself in comparrison with what you're not.
I'm not measuring myself against other professions really. I'm mostly measuring myself against..........myself. It seems that in that bad place I'm less than half of what I am where I'm at now.


Quote:
Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I look forward to the countless flames and "STFU n00b!"s that I'm sure I'll get back... Hey folks, trust me, I can take it... I'm a fixer.
Ooooh, cute little n00blet. Now go poke your head back in the sand and STFU!!!

*me wanders off wondering if Yy will make another of his famous idealist posts that I can dissect and quote out of context, while merrily humming a tune*





Edit: Woohoo!! He was waxing poetic at the same time I was quoting his first post. Must......type...faster......
__________________
Slyykie - 200+ Shade
Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

Last edited by Slyyk; Oct 23rd, 2003 at 08:41:44..
Slyyk is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:42:18   #47
Yyerinfahr
Phear Leet
 
Yyerinfahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarenn
Yy, I appreciate you staying positive and stuff, that you're a "veteran" and that there are fixers who played before the "love patch", but ...

I dont honestly know that we're better off in SL than we were before the love patch. Mind you I didnt play a fixer before 14.4, but what did it add? Long term HOT, NCU buff, fixergrid, and SMG buff right?
So, like I said, I wasnt a fixer before 14.4, so I dont really know, but looking at the facts, it sure SEEMS like we're worse off in SL than we were before 14.4.

<snip>

Regardless, no one here was debating that fixers "wouldnt still be in the database", of course we would be. But we sure arent very fun to play. And thats what a game is supposed to be, right?

And besides, FC will never change things unless we voice our concerns. It should be obious at this point that FC devs are busy playing EQ, not AO. ^_^
Ok, pre-14.4 mobs ran too fast for snares to work at lower levels. There was no Nano Hacking Interface so you were gimped nano-wise in ways that I cannot even begin to describe. Roots didn't work whatsoever for a very long time. We only had one HoT, and it required us to raise Bio-met a skill most of us had abandoned due to the IP shortage as it only lasted 3 minutes and mob damage after patches ranged from wimpy to something that made SL look tame and the single HoT wasn't sufficent for survival. The second HoT made bio-met actually the hottest (ahem) skill, because suddenly we were able to solo even QL missions with an equal level HoT. NCU has never been a problem for a fixer - this ability has only ever massively benefited other classes. SMG/Burst problems cannot even begin to be discussed. We had minor suppressor and expertise, and occasionally a riot control from a soldier. We also only had one - maybe three guns for a long time. Whe we ONLY had the MPS we only hit for minimum damage at higher levels... We couldn't tank because we could never get aggro. Whether or not AR has been nerfed, this is an even nerf across the board for all classes - not just the fixer. Try playing without your SMG buffs, and you do even worse than you do now. Couldn't solo greens? try couldn't solo greys... while most other professions could at least solo oranges, and enforcers were soloing deep reds.

The ONLY purpose we had for groups was our runbuffs and our evac nano. I got into teams only because I am funny, witty and sarcastic and I made sure I knew everyone. Oh, and nobody else was looking to join one...

Right now, I'm having a lot of fun playing, but if I were 'stuck' on any class I'd have fun playing. As I said, if you thin an advent would be more fun, play an advent. I work towards a few things every week. I set simple goals and otherwise take my time... This week... find 15M more credits (rubi-ka mission runs - woot! *sarcasm*) has taken priorty over hitting 191 (something I would have done tomorrow).

Also, don't get me wrong... if any fixer heads out calling it quits, I miss them, honestly and truly - but they won't be the first, and they won't be the last. Heck, I've headed out... twice now, once because the stresses got to me, and once because it was time to go. Heck you only got me back 'cause of Nettie (well there were other reasons too, but she tipped the scales).

-Yy
__________________
Sometimes, old fixers die in Bitterness.
Yyerinfahr is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:47:17   #48
Yyerinfahr
Phear Leet
 
Yyerinfahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by Alantria
So Yy, what are you trying to say
If you've lost hope, leave. If you haven't, make the most of a bad situation.

-Yy
__________________
Sometimes, old fixers die in Bitterness.
Yyerinfahr is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:13:03   #49
Yyerinfahr
Phear Leet
 
Yyerinfahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Rockin Slyyk!

Quote:
Originally posted by Slyyk


Agreed. You just won't be seeing many Fixers in Shadowlands unless they are leeching on a guild team. Less once the new profession nanos start dropping and otherwise becoming available. Having a Fixer will actually be a liability because you'll need every member of the team to make a decent contribution via new nanos and stacking of perk specials.

Pull out your solar powered SMG and start talking smack... if you're going to be a liability, hell do it naked too... give the doc some extra work .
Now, past the sarcasm, if people aren't looking out to level the weaker classes, they will be screwed when they finally do need them. When will they need the fixer? I believe I've made it clear that 'hell if I know when' is my response to that. Will we ever be re-fixed? Yeah... but hell if I know when...

Quote:
I like challenges too but taking away almost my entire toolset isn't just a difficulty, it's crippling.
Slyyk, we've known eachother via-posts, ingame meetings, whatnot, for what... two and a quarter years or so, right? I don't disagree with you, but like every other challenge - you can try to make the most of it, or you can wallow in misery. Your entire toolset is not gone, just give it time.

Quote:
You want constructive: "Stay on Rubi-Ka because you won't be gridding anything in Shadowlands no matter how long you've had your Hacker's Club Member Chip." How's that for constructive?
Bravo, a truly excelent flame with 100% truth. But...wait for the garde evacs to work (hopefully - hahahaha) after the next patch...

Quote:
I enjoy it just fine on RK, no complaints here. I'm only 175 and in no hurry to get to level 200. Especially since by the time I do I will run mach II into the brick wall that is SLs. Unless of course the items Fixers will be getting haven't been added to the database along with all the other profs, simply for the pleasure of toying with us again.
Well, I knda feel the same way about getting shadowlevels, but I enjoy SL to improve my overall view of the lag in BS. Plus, it breaks up BS missions pretty nicely, gives me something other than credit running to do... I'm not under any pressures for success, well other than I'd really like to see a fixer wearing the yellow banana suit of the redeemed.

Quote:
I'm not measuring myself against other professions really. I'm mostly measuring myself against..........myself. It seems that in that bad place I'm less than half of what I am where I'm at now.
Dunno, I've learned to live with a lot of things. Sometimes it takes a step back to make the journey forward.

Quote:
Ooooh, cute little n00blet. Now go poke your head back in the sand and STFU!!!
U Suxxor! I 4|\/| 7h3 31337 Ph1xx0r! Ph34r |\/|Y H4xx0r sk1llz!

Quote:
*me wanders off wondering if Yy will make another of his famous idealist posts that I can dissect and quote out of context, while merrily humming a tune*



Edit: Woohoo!! He was waxing poetic at the same time I was quoting his first post. Must......type...faster......
Now slyyk... I've got to get some sleep, so you'll have a few hours to type and get prepared. I expect at least a good 5th page by the time I get back to reading this thread - make sucricia proud of our postcount.
__________________
Sometimes, old fixers die in Bitterness.
Yyerinfahr is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:19:19   #50
Slyyk
Supa Leet
 
Slyyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
I see where your coming from and agree with you on some points Yy. I just don't agree that with all the advances the game has made in the past two years we get smacked back to where we were before. Jumping up and down in front of teams /shouting LFG! and being ignored (I've literally done that for over an hour once during pre-love patches) then tottering off to solo greens.

- Our new snares will have little effect on mobs who seem to already have 1k+ runspeed. They also last for just under a minute and a half for the top of the line snare. Area snares are just gone and SLs mobs come in herds right now.

- Our nanoskills will need to be raised to 1400-1755, the same range as most other profs. Last time I checked all our nanoskills were still dark blue. Unless there is a modified NCUHI already in the works at Funcom HQ this is going to be a very real problem again, especially since lighter colored skills can be more points per level than darker skills at levels 201+. I forget exactly, but it's something like 10 points for a dark blue, and 20 points for green.

- What roots? I can't root level 70 mobs effectively and we aren't getting new ones any time soon.

- HoTs are back to being wonderfully inadequate again against higher mob damage in SLs.

- SMG/Burst I think we caught a break with the perk line that raises it a tad. It probably slipped past a dev somewhere.

- New SMGs. Yeah that's definitley a bonus. Some of them even look cool too.

- Evacs are self-only, capped at 3 seconds cast time. Also, as someone else nicely pointed out kinda pointless since you never really lose exp anymore and it's going to take you the same amount of time to get back to where you were since evacs and dying both take you to the same place.

- The new runbuffs have a level req of 201 to cast just to reach the same bonus that GSF does.

Basically my point is I would be happy if the new stuff kept us at the same level of effectiveness we are at now, but it doesn't. We got pushed two steps backward while everyone else took a big step ahead. This means that I'll have to wait another year and a half for fixes to get me to where I was, then another year and a half to get balanced with other professions. I probably will, but that doesn't mean I have to like it and get all touchy-feely like you do.

In a nutshell, after other profs start getting their new stuff, it has severely crippled the Fixer profession because:

A) We're back where we were before. Noone wanting us in a team in Shadowlands.

B) At level 200 you must goto SLs in order to gain shadow knowledge. If noone wants you in a team it is going to be impossible to solo since it has already been made painfully clear it is intended for groups and not solo play. The original game was billed as solo friendly and we still had problems. You do the math.
__________________
Slyykie - 200+ Shade
Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

Last edited by Slyyk; Oct 23rd, 2003 at 10:52:38..
Slyyk is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:25:31   #51
_______________Intra
Fixer mourner
 
_______________Intra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
ah! now this is how the fixer board should be!!

I hope you dont mind Borehound but I sent your message as a quote to feedback I thought it summed up the problems of the class effectively (and the moderators only tend to look in on posts in order to see if they can ban them, move them or close them). So I thought feedback was the best place for it.

pre 14.4 fixers didnt have a real place in a team either. But back then there were no 'fixer love monkeys'.

It seemed to be a certain type of person that chose the fixer profession and we used this to our advantage. We made teaming fun. Me and my friends were never wanting for groups, never turned down for groups.. each of us tended to have many messages buffered when we logged on checking to see if we were online and if we wanted to go hunt or do missions.

one thing I have learned since starting my own business is that people are fickle. they will usually just go to the cheapest company, they will search out the most effective deals that will benefit them- that is unless they get to know a person and like them.
Then they will come back to thet person every time.

If you cant get a team then do what fixers do best... make contacts, have fun and make friends... watch the XP roll in. you want to bring something to a team? bring a sense of humour, its a bigger contibution than most people and will be appreciated a great deal more.
People then realise that its a game and that it is meant to be fun.

it makes the tedious xp gathering a great deal easier - time flies and all that.
Yes, we are all broken, we may be fixed - but god knows when.

its easy to find teams... just make a name for yourself as a good, organised, funny team mate. I wont have anyone i my team that is not no matter how much uber stuff they bring to a team.
that may be why in the past I had many teams that were all fixer.

we're kinda like the fremen in Dune.

but I digress

EDIT:
not a flame directed at Slyykk - post is about mid level game play - I understand that it is difficult to get a team of people that know you at high level game play because of the limited numbers of people in the different zones trying to do the same things

Last edited by Intra; Oct 23rd, 2003 at 10:28:30..
_______________Intra is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:42:48   #52
Slyyk
Supa Leet
 
Slyyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by Intra
......If you cant get a team then do what fixers do best... make contacts, have fun and make friends... watch the XP roll in. you want to bring something to a team? bring a sense of humour, its a bigger contibution than most people and will be appreciated a great deal more.
People then realise that its a game and that it is meant to be fun.
.....
When I do team it's usually with friends. However about half of them already left or are playing lower level alts whom I will have to wait for to level up again. That's if I'm not playing one of my own alts. I agree that all Fixer teams are a blast too.

Quote:
not a flame directed at Slyykk - post is about mid level game play
Go ahead and flame me, I don't mind. I enjoy a good roast as much as the next guy. Trolls, though, will be beaten down beneath the bridge from whence they came, These forums are here to share knowledge and opinions and the more we have from both sides the better.
__________________
Slyykie - 200+ Shade
Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

Last edited by Slyyk; Oct 23rd, 2003 at 10:46:28..
Slyyk is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:45:39   #53
Bore_Hound
Phear Leet
 
Bore_Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Yyerinfahr, I can see your reasoning. I've taken 3 breaks from this game. I was here when the servers went live. I remember the hell us fixers had back then. I remember thinking the MPS was the most awesome weapon on the block, when Tir was still full of toxic sewage that'd kill you in a heartbeat, when people actually hunted OUTDOORS for exp (*GASP*).

But the thing is, we were fixed once. We were useful. We had a purpose. In SL, we are nothing but the goo the mobs scrape from their boots. I for one don't appreciate being kicked backwards from where we were when we were perfectly fine before. That's my gripe. That's my complaint. This yo-yo crap is getting irritating. One minute we're a bad class, then a good class, then a bad class. Not only is it seriously frustrating myself and many other players, but it's seriously degrading any trust I have in Funcom. I'm sick of believing the AO player adage that the char you roll most likely won't be the char you thought you rolled later.

I just wish Funcom would maintain some continuity in their game, so that we all know what characters we play, what we're supposed to do, and most importantly what game we're playing. These constant nerfs/fixes/nerfs/fixes/etc. are not a good way to run an MMORPG.
Bore_Hound is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 13:05:06   #54
Yyerinfahr
Phear Leet
 
Yyerinfahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
One of my favorite quotes:
Quote:
Two thousand years ago, a Terran named Julius Caesar risked everything by leading his army across the Rubicon River to march on Rome. All he said was, 'The die is cast.' Will you throw the dice with me? One last time?
Phaeton to Shiva - Exosquad.

#edit# Yes its from a cartoon, but its a US cartoon where they killed main characters, highlighted betrayal, blew up Mars, sent the good guys on the defensive for most of the show, and actually finished the war before the series was canceled.
__________________
Sometimes, old fixers die in Bitterness.

Last edited by Yyerinfahr; Oct 23rd, 2003 at 13:07:43..
Yyerinfahr is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 17:36:58   #55
Jennyfyr
Soleet
 
Jennyfyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Yyerinfahr
Countless threads say the same thing. There is a difference between "Murder of a profession" and a question of balancing. I'll agree FC needs to work on balancing, but do I expect it soon? No way - I'm a pesimist when it comes to that. I'm optimistic of our survival, pesimistic about when the reinforcements come. Dig in, work hard, get used to disappointment.

We won't know for a long time what plans FC has for the fixer class. Its a closed box, it always has been. Pre-14.4, hell... pre-13.6 or so... we were promised something "Super-duper-cool" I still have yet to quite figure out what the hell it was... though maybe it was the fixer grid... really can't remember that far back...

Whining does NOT improve the game, constructively stating your issues, working hard to achieve your abilities, and helping lower level fixers does (oh, and the traditional fixer humor). If you insist on leading, you will always be the first to find problems. Improvements in the game will always be for those who follow in your footsteps, not for you. Make AO a better place for someone else, and perhaps you'll find more of a reason to take some pride in who you are and where you came from.

SL will change - rest assured in that... FC is aware many people are unhappy - rest assureed in that too. The question is, what are you willing to do with your time while you wait? If you are going to quit, quit. If you are going to start an alt or a new main until you feel uber, good luck.

Issues will not and cannot change overnight, unless its patch-night. Opinions have been stated, problems have been noted... now try to overcome them. If you fail, try again... if you fail again, try again until something works. If nothing works - either wait til patch day, roll a new toon, or pack your bags. Yes its frustrating, yes its broken, yes you have to do stupid stupid things to get shadowlevels (I do know this). However Shadowlevel things affect everyone, thats *probably* a top priority of the devs, but has little to do with the specifics of being a fixer - enforcers are mad about it too... As far as fixer things? Well, state it... work with what you've got, and HOPE that the guy coding whatever fixes for the fixer are in store works quickly. But don't expect massive changes anytime soon, all changes take a long while, massive ones take longer.

The next patch notes are out, it sounds like there are definite changes in the works, many of which address stated fixer issues. Either hold out for the patch, or head out... get patched, see if its better, and if it isn't, start a new list of what's wrong... 30000 threads that say the same thing don't make it better. Email support, report bugs, and expect things to be tedious. But, make the most of what you have - don't just flap your yap...

Bah... This is why I need my cane...
-Yy
First of all, its not MY job to spend MY money improving SOMEONE ELSES character. To even suggest it is ludicrous. And flap my yap? Whats that all about? Are you saying that I should just sit back and ride out the storm? Well, thats exactly my intent. But i'm NOT going to be paying for it. If i'm not having any fun, I shouldn't be expected to. And no. I don't expect changes to be made overnight. But should they do something ASAP? Definitely YES! Why? Because if FC doesn't act soon, there won't be enough of a playerbase left to make continuing the game worthwhile. But I DO however, expect to get what i'm paying for. And to continuously throw meaningless reviews from shallow scenery watchers at me day after day is just....well, insulting to my intelligence. So don't tell me that I should sit here and continue paying to not have any fun. Or that I should spend MY money to make someone else's gaming experience better. I rolled a fixer. I busted my ass and levelled a fixer. I want to continue playing a fixer. Period. And as things are now, I can't play my character as i've grown accustomed to. Thus effectively removing the fun from the class. If you don't see that as killing off a profession, you're either blind, or don't play one.
__________________
Jennyfyr - TTL7 Fixer and proud Omni General of Alphastrike

The majority represents society. And if the majority of people around you think you're an idiot, you can reasonably assume yourself to be a social outcast
Jennyfyr is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 18:13:34   #56
Yyerinfahr
Phear Leet
 
Yyerinfahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by Jennyfyr


First of all, its not MY job to spend MY money improving SOMEONE ELSES character. To even suggest it is ludicrous. And flap my yap? Whats that all about? Are you saying that I should just sit back and ride out the storm? Well, thats exactly my intent. But i'm NOT going to be paying for it. If i'm not having any fun, I shouldn't be expected to. And no. I don't expect changes to be made overnight. But should they do something ASAP? Definitely YES! Why? Because if FC doesn't act soon, there won't be enough of a playerbase left to make continuing the game worthwhile. But I DO however, expect to get what i'm paying for. And to continuously throw meaningless reviews from shallow scenery watchers at me day after day is just....well, insulting to my intelligence. So don't tell me that I should sit here and continue paying to not have any fun. Or that I should spend MY money to make someone else's gaming experience better. I rolled a fixer. I busted my ass and levelled a fixer. I want to continue playing a fixer. Period. And as things are now, I can't play my character as i've grown accustomed to. Thus effectively removing the fun from the class. If you don't see that as killing off a profession, you're either blind, or don't play one.
1. The playerbase will not disappear, you may... the base will not. The fixer will not disappear; they may be scarce, but they will not disappear.
2. ASAP could be months, could be years - it was a year and a half for fixers the first time. When the change was made, the playbalance was overly skewed in the other direction. Either way, get used to waiting...
3. I'm not telling you how to spend your money. If you don't like the game, and you find it un-fun... I've made a suggestion several times as to what you can do.
4. I rolled a fixer. I busted my ass playing a fixer. I worked hard to maintain a community where a very downtrodden fixer could find some level of support. I've leveled. I'll continue to level. I'll continue to play my fixer. Being a fixer is far more than number crunching to get the best gear and implants and its a heck of a lot more than just style over substance.
4. Learn to play your character in ways you aren't accustomed to. Nobdy gets to be uber all the time. Adaptation breeds excellence.
5. If SL is not fun for you, it does not mean it is not fun for all players or specifically all fixers.
6. As for being blind? Well, I play a fixer, and I've made a lot of reference to a cane... I'll let you do some math...

Catch ya on the flipside...
-Yy
__________________
Sometimes, old fixers die in Bitterness.
Yyerinfahr is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 18:41:23   #57
____________Alantria
Supa Leet
 
____________Alantria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
"If you've lost hope, leave. If you haven't, make the most of a bad situation. "

Well sort of common sence there, first your upset as many are, then they leave, or make the best of it rolling an alt, or decide to be self whipping martyrs and go on..
Its human nature go through the different parts of grief, being ticked is one of them and you cant change that, neither should you ask people to do so.
__________________
Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury
____________Alantria is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 18:57:20   #58
Qwikz
"This one goes to eleven"
 
Qwikz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
here we go loop-de-loo

Gosh, I know I've been here before. These arguments aren't new at all they just come in a different setting.

Let me try to mediate a bit which I'm not well known for.

To make this easy I'm going to split it into two camps and use player names symbolically (I don't actually speak for them and I'm not quoting them)
We can use YY and Alantria (excellent people) to kind of show 2 sides. These fine individuals are not the embodiment of two opposite sides and they don't deserve anyone's flame. Keep that in mind.

Yy's camp:
(correct me if I'm wrong) Fixers have been in the mud before in fact we started that way. We have seen the heavier side of gimp than many other professions in the past. History shows this but it also shows that eventually Funcom makes changes or adds content to correct us. It takes a long time and requires patience. Hang in there it will get better.


and you know what? He is right. It's a safe bet that we will be un-borked. I'm not so sure we should "love it or leave it" though. Sometimes you have to make change happen which is incredibly difficult in the world of Funcom versus the clients. I have utmost confidence that Yy will be proved correct. Unfortunately this will take a very long time. Some won't want to stick it out and I don't blame them. It's a raw deal. Others............

like Alantria's camp:
were perfectly happy with their Fixer until SL came along and now are finding the game far less enjoyable. They were paying for a game that they enjoyed playing. Now that more content is out which they again spent their hard-earned cash on, the game has taken a sharp turn. They no longer find joy in playing their favorite character. They had no say in the matter but they are expected to keep paying for it? Cancelling their account feels like losing out and ending the game before everyone else. It feels like being cheated while other people who pay the same money keep or increase their enjoyment by playing the same professions they have been playing. Rolling another main is never what they had in mind and why should it be when they are Fixers?

She's right to feel mad too. Especially so when she's shelling out cash (more than she was originally too) and getting the shaft. There's no explanantion as to why Fixer abilities were reduced in SL and trust me, you might not ever get an explanation why from Funcom either. This Fixer is presently an Enforcer when it come to SL. My enforcer is having a blast and I am comforatable letting my Fixers nap until the time is right again. Once a fixer, always a Fixer. Fixer was my first beta character and will probably be my last as I'm too stupid to actually know when to quit. I do go for long periods without playing AO at all though.

Here's what I do expect from everyone reading this. Play your own way. It's your money and you do with it as you please. You won't be wrong for waiting and seeing, yelling like a madperson/ threatening Funcom, or rolling a Keeper. (or a 'crat! They are the second coolest prof!)
__________________
RK2
Qwikz - HUGE Inc.

"I should get one of those signs that says "One of these days I'm gonna get organezized".
Qwikz is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 19:04:05   #59
__________Specialone
Supa Leet
 
__________Specialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
I agree with ya Qwikz in re: to Crats being #2 fave prof to play.

I consider my Crat as an extension of my fixer self.

I'm interested in this thread because I haven't gotten SL yet and haven't even decided if i'm coming back to AO fulltime...but after playing and betatesting several MMOs the last year, I'm coming back here for another run.

Why?

Firstly, the draw of fixerdom. Of course I mean RK2 fixers :P
The community is unparalleled. If you haven't been through all that YY mentions in his posts, you might not have quite the same affinity for the collective unity of fixers here and long gone.

AO itself is a vast and beautiful place. Until the blue suits, we could almost always tell each other apart by our clothes.

Debate is good, and telling FC what disappoints us is definately good. They're only improving as far as I can tell since the beginning.

Finally

PLo8 !
They actually put it ingame! ROFL
__________________
Auri Sacra Fames!

Specialone Clan Fixer RK-2
Spatialone Clan Bureaucrat RK-2

Last edited by Specialone; Oct 23rd, 2003 at 19:13:08..
__________Specialone is offline  
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 19:07:03   #60
cykotic
Eleet
 
cykotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
well Im a fixer plain and simple ...
It wasnt always the case I started as an addy then i made a fixer alt just to try it out .
well by lvl 3 the fixer was the main the addy was the alt and it stands that way ( and it will continue)
Sure addys are better in Sl ,Enfs well we dont have to even say anythinhg there, MAs again need to say nothing ..
Yes fixers got the nerf bat up the butt and no I'm not happy about it .
After all the nerfs and the FC fixer haters I still cannot imagine NOT being a fixer. I go to Sl sure i cant run thru SL like a god ,yes I have to be careful of grays and hordes of greens, and run like a lil schoolgirl from big red hecklers in scheol but I still cant bring myself to not being a fixer.
I can understand those of you that are to the point of putting your fixer in "retirement" (dosent mean i have to agree with it ).
I personally like YY's point of view on the situation and I happen to agree with him. Then again opinions are like a**holes evryone has one and they all stink. IMHO if you can imagine not being a fixer maybe its time to "retire ". I for one will take any nerf FC shoves down my throat and continue being a fixer ( dont mean i'll just lay down and take it or like it)) all the while trying to be constructive on how to improve fixers.Bottom line is we were dealt a Sh*tty hand with the release of SL ..so you have 2 choices ..fold or play the cards, the choice is up to each individual. For those of you that are gonna play the cards feel free to call upon me anytime for help , support or to just vent on how screwed it is. To those of you that fold , I hope after a few weeks of being the flavor of the month class you return to your fixer roots.
Good luck with whatever you decide

the above is just my opinion if you feel the need to flame over it pls contact me privately and i'll argue with ya till hell freezes over
Thank you
Fingahz
fixer forever
cykotic is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:12:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © Funcom 1999 - 2006