Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't docs use bow?

Why don't docs use bow?

Okay some of my information is probably horribly wrong, but that's why I'm asking here.

From what I understand, all weapon skills are dark blue for doctors, and they don't get any pistol buff nanos. Also, support symbiants buff the bow skill... so I'm currious why I never see a doctor above level 100 using a bow.

bows suck in pvm
    Neophyte "Ruberaa" 5/0 - lolequip

Pistol's arn't dark blue, they're the step above that, any doc who uses bow will not be a top dd in pvm due to the lack of specials and generally poor damage. but will most likely be using it as pvp weapon with the ability to switch to a pvm bow alternative that just suits its purpose.
    Medithor 220 OT Eternalist Equip
    Luvr 204 Fixer

I use a bow in PvP. It doesn't do too badly. My org pvps alot and I needed an AS weapon for tower excursions and Aslon griped for a week when I said I was gonna go Shotgun - it worked out ok for me. I actually have four weapon skills raised - SMG/Burst/Bow/AS. I'm fine on IP really, my evades are a little low, but I'm full off anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Now please, go hide into empty can of tomato juice, mail yourself to Mexico, and dont forget to write on a package "i'm looking for a clue".
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    Seriously, did you think before posting, or did ... you just [smash] your face into the keyboard a few times then hit Submit?

Bows are pretty much pvp only, don't think there are good bows for pvm with fast specials...

I tried a double/triple nimbus bow once a year ago. After the paint fumes wore off, I spent the IPR within a week and went back to something else. To this day, that remains the worst mistake I made with my doc.
    Deaus, 220/20 Doctor. Sentinels
    Deaus was born on Wed Jul 11 17:56:19 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Deaus
    I tried a double/triple nimbus bow once a year ago. After the paint fumes wore off, I spent the IPR within a week and went back to something else. To this day, that remains the worst mistake I made with my doc.
    Worst mistake being that you blew the IPR, or that you didn't stick with bow?
    ~~
    RK2 Guernica - 220 (18) Mp
    RK2 Taotou - 180 (12) Doc
    + Assorted old toons I don't play anymore
    ~~
    ╞╤╧╪♥Gue♥ ╪╧╤╡
    [Vantura]: guerni can I get ssome loving
    To [Vantura]: I'm sorry, but you're clan. I'm omni. It would never work. I'm high maintenance. I need towers above TL 4. And none of those gay animal hats you guys wear.

I think he means ever putting the IP into bow was his biggest mistake. I'm personally happy with it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Now please, go hide into empty can of tomato juice, mail yourself to Mexico, and dont forget to write on a package "i'm looking for a clue".
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    Seriously, did you think before posting, or did ... you just [smash] your face into the keyboard a few times then hit Submit?

Bow special attack

Well another reason I ask is because of the 'special attack' arrows. Are these any good, or just... poop?

Quote Originally Posted by Deaus
    I did the same mistake on my doc, the AR I had was just horrible with bow.
    Even though all weap skills except pistol and MA on doc are dark blue, doesn't mean they can be raised to the same amount.

Base stats on maxed weapon skills on a 220 solitus doc (without any items equipped or any perks trained):

Martial Arts: 1134

1H Blunt: 1133
    1H Edged: 1134
    Piercing: 1134
    2H Blunt: 973
    2H Edged: 973
    Melee Energy: 974

Heavy Weapons: 814

Bow: 814
    Pistol: 1134
    MG/SMG: 974
    Shotgun: 1134
    Assault Rifle: 814
    Rifle: 814
    Ranged Energy: 814

I had around 1k AR when using bow for pvm.
    Even though AR above 1k on doc doesn't raise the damage by much, I do believe atleast 1,2k AR is needed to hit at a decent rate vs higher level mobs.
    Whitelighter - 220/21 Doctor
    Bigblitz - 200/9 Fixer

General of Circle G

guys, wake up and smell the coffee
    How much damage does the weapon do anyway? We do like 75%ish of our dmg with nano damage.
    Personally I love to pvp, so I use bow, double nimbus when in pvp and saphistic when I pvp. Its not that bad really, and you only up 3 skills for bow, init, bow and AS for the pvp. And its not that bad, I dont have any 250 bow implants yet so I use a ql 210 double nimbus, no add dmg anywhere, and I hit for above 1k on every hit.

Bow isnt that bad, we just dont do any real dmg with weapons, so might aswell use bow as anything else.

DrDyrego 220/20 Doctor
    Nurfest 220/17 Keeper
    Prototype96 213/7 Bureaucrat
    Illstabya 211/12 Shade

Advisor of Forsaken (RK1 Clan)
    www.forsaken.no

Sometime tripple dotting is not an options, like in raid or soloing something in inferno lvl 255+. Our gun is the d dot, but it does not interrupt nanocasting.

Also I have a problem keeping 3 dots running for 5+ minutes and need to slack on healing/dots to regain nano.

Also used bow on mp, and the stance with bow it seems I have to take a dump.

well, soloing dynas as doc in inf does take a while, so you should take the dump before

but seriously.. if you want to have a weapon that hurts somewhat in pvp you need bow, the shotgun doesnt do as good. And then your stuck with the nimbus bows. I dont mind really. Docs isnt DDs, thats just the way it is. I want to take down the mobs faster solo I log my shade and pocketdoc on alt account.

But bow is viable, I like the stance with bow.

DrDyrego 220/20 Doctor
    Nurfest 220/17 Keeper
    Prototype96 213/7 Bureaucrat
    Illstabya 211/12 Shade

Advisor of Forsaken (RK1 Clan)
    www.forsaken.no

Quote Originally Posted by Takumsaw
    I want to take down the mobs faster solo I log my shade
    not everyone can have one

Quote Originally Posted by Mauurie
    Sometime tripple dotting is not an options, like in raid or soloing something in inferno lvl 255+. Our gun is the d dot, but it does not interrupt nanocasting.

Also I have a problem keeping 3 dots running for 5+ minutes and need to slack on healing/dots to regain nano.

Also used bow on mp, and the stance with bow it seems I have to take a dump.

Exactly. My toon looks like he's constipated toting a bow around and to hell with that.

I used a bow on Internist-made up a right arm implant with AAO and had triple bow implants/symbs, and the attack rating with bow was less than pistol for way more IP spent.

When you are dotting and casting special damage is your friend.

I never ever solo anymore with my doc and if you are gonna do the solo route bow is gonna suck hind tit cause the bow won't ever fire while you are dotting and healing.

PVP sure its ok but for PVM bow sucks for docs.
    LVL 220 Vanguard Out to pasture
    LVL 220 Eternalist researching
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired
    LVL 220 Field Marshal Resetting/twinking

LVL 220 Savior (researching)

Firetree Server, Horde of course

I also use a bow, want to pvp?
    /tell Trillium
    /tell Azteca
    /tell Xanthophyll
    /tell Tryptophan

Bow special attack

are the special attack arrows worth it?

I think either martial arts or pistol are the best options, as you can twink them fairly higher than most other stats, with extreme prejudice, MA mastery, LCR, Ect.
    I personally use martial arts on my doctor, because support symbiants boost it anyway, and it can be raised to a pretty good level, plus then theres the option that one day ill be one of those badass docs with blades of boltar on
    Hailing from Kirkland Washington
    Enfraam 217/21 NT
    10,000 levels

Oh forgot to mention, if your gonna use AS for pvp, why not just use rifles? it has a LOT more stuff that boosts it than bow. Bow is pretty much only the better option for pvp ma's, who have it light green, and need to hotswap quickly using a sapphistic, so they can get back to fists.
    Hailing from Kirkland Washington
    Enfraam 217/21 NT
    10,000 levels

I have no highlevel doc, but I can explain why mp´s use bow:

- ranger perk line
    - acsess to support symbiants
    - easy to time nukes between the shots
    - Mystical Green Hood
    - Gloves of Yearning
    - Chosen Metaphysicist Body Armor
    - Bow of Solace
    - Good in pvp