Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Map Window

New Map Window

Here's a break down of what I've found on the test server (ie this is NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT)... (I'll append to this as I find more.. )

Added Features:
    - all zooming in/out results in the map being centered on the player. (it doesn't zoom according to the center of where you are currently looking on the map) double-clicking will also zoom in/out, but it works _exactly_ the same as pressing the "zoom in" and "zoom out" buttons. It would be nice if the map would zoom in and recenter according to where you double-click.
    - after centering on the player (if you don't move the map manually), the map will move to keep you're location in the center.
    - scrollbars!
    - buttons with text descriptions (although, the old ones gave a description when you did a "mouse over")
    - there is an option to turn off the buttons in the 'i' menu.

Bugs (Added Features we wish we didn't get)
    - there is no way to change the map via the GUI (type in chat: "/setoption PlanetMapIndexFile CSPmap/CSPmap.txt" to change the map to the CSPmap)
    - The map goes a little funky when it tries to track your movement (ie centered on the player)
    - when zooming, it centers on the player regardless of where you are currently looking. It would be nice to be able to move around the map by zooming out and then zooming in on the zone you want to look at. The old map _tried_ to do that, but the calculation was off.
    - when moving the map around by dragging, some tiles on the map seem to dissappear and then later reappear. (may have been fixed... I haven't looked to hard at the latest patch)
    Last edited by Finnagen; Aug 3rd, 2006 at 18:54:10.
    ::::: You need the CSPmap! (Website) (Download) :::::

Every single thing you mentioned in that post sucks in my opinion.

Keep the old map style plx
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

Forgetting where it was centered absolutely sucks! Make it remember again, and while you're at it, give it seperate memory for Rubi-Ka and ShadowLands.
    Moonleg, 220 Adventurer and never levelling again!
    Fixored, 167 gridrunner
    Lunarblade, 94 honorable keeper.
    Lavan, 115 pretty-boy doctor that needs more levels.
    Moonatic, 117 tinkerer of gizmos.
    Fortehwin, 211 shadow-creeper. With glowsticks.
    Ammoonium, 108 NT gimpz0r.
    Dingbot, 100 XP-stick.
    Runalot,169 freexer.
    Horsehumper, 36 hor ... I mean, fist-fighter.
    Debuff, 46 wrangle-giver.

Please remember people the builds on test live are not final - hence why we ask bug reports arent posted here, but on the test forums if you have access or via email.

The issues mentioned above are mostly bugs with the first versions that will be resolved before the update is deployed on live so don't panic yet
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

- The map window now requires quite a huge minimum window size, due to the large buttons
    That's rather an annoying thing for people like me who liked to keep the map window constantly open on minimum size, to keep track of your surroundings, or pull it into a long vertical window when you have longer N/S distances to fly. (e.g. Hope to Crater missions) Now if you pull the window longer to see your route, it covers half of the screen.. the old border-/widgetless window was much more flexible.
    Or think of the people resizing the window to fit the Tier dungeon maps in the Sphere map.. doesn't work anymore either without covering half the screen..
    Last edited by Shaoleet; Jul 7th, 2006 at 12:25:09.
    Marcos "Sisyphos" Bacarella - lvl 220 Enforcer 2HB *slam* *hack*
    Prof. Steven "Techleet" Falken - lvl 220 Engineer *solder* *screw* *BOOM*
    and the cuddly leet family -=(DNW miss yoo!)=-
    Through the ranks of the Unbeliever we shall move, creating a river of blood as we go.

I agree... :|

Bring back the old icons.

The new window size makes the map almost impossable for me to use while running around because if its minimal size now. It takes up WAY too much space on my screen :|
    Decedent 124/AI 7 Adventurer
    Lacunapsyco 130/AI 8 Doctor
    Lacunasoul 220/AI 14 Meta-Physicist
    Lunatic359 182/AI 7 Fixer
    Psyco359 164/AI 17 Engineer
    Gummieworm 88/AI 2 Soldier

Yes, the minimum size of the new map window is HUGE. Another example of fixing what ain't broken. Old map works just perfectly. Why waste valuable time and energy of developers on such useless changes?

Having gone to test server..

OH CRAP!

Sil, please, please tell us we will be able to resize the map smaller than half the damned screen. I always keep my planet map open at its CURRENT minimum size when outdoors in SL or while rolling missions, etc. This is a gianormous, intrusive mess. PLEASE tell us it's just not complete yet and will have that functionality later. Also.. please, please put an option to let us use old icons or shorten the current buttons to abbreviations. There are a lot of buttons on this. It's different than the three with PF map. This is a lot of real estate, even if it was possible to bring the map down to smaller sizes like you can now, the buttons will severely limit the view area on the map, especially given how cluttered the average players screen is already (as in, it's not like I can just clear soem space up for this monster).

This is a huge mistake guys, please listen to your players on this. Allow for smaller buttons and smaller window size, the current ones on testlive are simple TOO intrusive and all but ruin 80% of the functionality the map served for me before this patch (and I'm sure a lot of other people too).

Quote Originally Posted by Finnagen
    - the map "forgets" where you had it centered if you close the window and re-open it, although it does remember which layer you were on.
    That's funny. For me it doesn't even remember which layer it's on. I've changed map files (CSP to default and back, etc) and it always zooms out to the largest view when I open and close the window. [Reported, #3801, ya].
    Ainen 220/21 Enforcer RK1- OutmodedWear

Ensign - Ankari'Sinuh: skjfhka!
    Field Support - Cha'Khaz: skjfhka!

can someone post a screenshot please?
    U have to enjoy the fight to be really good.
    Devil Artemisv Hellcaster (retired)
    Warconfig
    usual PVMConfig
    Nosferatu Erinyes Alucard
    Devil Zyankali Advocate
    Yamaeda: Three Cyberdecks for the Opifex-kings under the sky, Seven for the Atrox-lords in their halls of notum, Nine for Nanomage doomed to die, One for the Dark Lady on her dark throne In the Land of Inferno where the Shadows live. One Cyberdeck to rule them all, One Deck to find them, One Deck to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the Land of Inferno where the Shadows live.

"GM Santaki: If you are worried about being banned you should email support and explain that you are not involved in any exploiting. "

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemisV
    can someone post a screenshot please?
    Sure.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion
    Please remember people the builds on test live are not final - hence why we ask bug reports arent posted here, but on the test forums if you have access or via email.
    Well, I don't really feel like jumping through hoops to get access to the test server forums, so I thought this would be the second best thing.

Several people have mentioned about the client crashing when going from RK to SL due to the map. I think it's a little more general than that. When switching from one map to another, if the current layer doesn't exist in the new one, the client crashes. So, if you're using CSPmap on layer 3 (the "main" layer) and then go to SL which only has a 2 layer map, the client dies. I can't remember what it used to do, but it didn't crash... It would select one of the other already existing layers.

So, if you're on layer 3 of the CSPmap (I don't know of any other 3 or more layer maps yet), switching to any other 2 layer map will cause the client to instantly crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnagen
    I can't remember what it used to do, but it didn't crash... It would select one of the other already existing layers.
    It goes to the first layer of the SL map

CSPmap has 4 layers, in case you didn't know. Might wanna grab the latest version
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    thanks, ander after seeing that i would prefer old mapstyle
    U have to enjoy the fight to be really good.
    Devil Artemisv Hellcaster (retired)
    Warconfig
    usual PVMConfig
    Nosferatu Erinyes Alucard
    Devil Zyankali Advocate
    Yamaeda: Three Cyberdecks for the Opifex-kings under the sky, Seven for the Atrox-lords in their halls of notum, Nine for Nanomage doomed to die, One for the Dark Lady on her dark throne In the Land of Inferno where the Shadows live. One Cyberdeck to rule them all, One Deck to find them, One Deck to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the Land of Inferno where the Shadows live.

"GM Santaki: If you are worried about being banned you should email support and explain that you are not involved in any exploiting. "

I always have my planetmap open as it is today.
    If the new map window is going to end up impossible to get small enough, the planet map is gonna be next to useless for me :\
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

suggestions for map

-Forget about the buttons, they use too much room, make every option available when you click "i".

-Dont use scrollbars they take up too much room, the adjustment of size and scrolling the map of the current map is good enough.

- Make an option available to centre map on player anytime (when you press "i"), which is not possible now.

- Make sure that players are able to use other maps (eg player made) if they want.

FB

Quote Originally Posted by Telcea

CSPmap has 4 layers, in case you didn't know. Might wanna grab the latest version
    cute, its finnagen that makes cspmap...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Quote Originally Posted by Telcea

Yes Finn, you must be using an old map, go grab the latest version off your site
    Tools: AOCrafter | AOcrayon | GUISelect | WebCrafter

- Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast