Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Don't add Expensive inf weapons as quest items

Wow, this turned into a bit of a flamefest.

Look...Mmba has a point, which is that if the quest goes live it will instantly devalue the MBC and create another dyna that no one camps.

Why not add quests to Ado for the FA pistols? The Ado dryads are where ebay farmers camp, not inferno dynas, after all.

Mmba is being selfish only in that he wants to protect an investment he made.

Nonkai is being selfish in saying that everyone pays the same and deserves the same loot with or without effort. MMORPGs just don't work that way.

A few people have hit the nail on the head though - AO is severely lacking in item diversity. Because items exist in multiple QLs, there is a percieved lesser need for more items.

In EQ, at any given point in time if I was looking for an item upgrade - let's say a shoulderpiece - looking through the item database I'd make a list on paper of a dozen shoulderpieces that were all upgrades to what I was wearing, where they dropped / how much they cost, etc. I wasn't being unrealistic, I was just writing down the dozen options most open to me, out of the hundreds or thousands of items that had the specific stats I was looking for. The items were all extremely comparable to eachother, in a way that AO has rarely seen.

Imagine if every item choice were largely cosmetic, like the difference between Lion's Leather and Omni-Ribbed.

At any given time there might be 1 best weapon for the warrior class, but there would only be maybe a dozen people to ever have it before a new best weapon was added someplace else, such that at any given time there would be several hundred acceptable upgrade weapons between what the average person at the highest level had and what the best weapon was.

In AO, most profs have the definitive best weapon for their prof in the game on around 210.

I agree, these quests are a great idea, and I agree, putting pre-existing awards as the end items of the quests was extremely lazy.

Give it the exact same stats as a MBC, or change the damage type and weapon skill required, change the mesh, change the name, and CREATE AN OPTION.

Adding a quest for a pre-existing item is not an option, it is a no drop replacement. No one will choose to camp these items anymore given their current droprate once they become questable, because no matter how long and arduous the quest is, it has a guaranteed end and isn't overcamped by farmers hoping to make a buck.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a change like this IF they make these certain nodrop items in the database quest items. Hell, we don't even know if these items will make it to live yet, it's all speculation. I worked through tooth and nail to get my first MBC and when I lost it to my "ordeal", I really have not felt up to working up the money to buy another one nor am I looking forward to trying to camp for one. This option might give me a chance to replace what was lost and only with doing some ACTUAL work, not sitting on my ass camping a mob then killing it or running endless missions or camping for other uber loot just so I can afford to buy said item myself.

I can understand why Mmba is so concerned about this since he doesn't want to feel that he wasted whatever amount of credits he spent to get his MBC in the first place. But just because these items might be questable. doesn't mean that every doc and other profession that might benefit from these items will be jumping over each other to get one. Everyone has different preferences on what they like and dislike in terms of weapon use. Some prefer MA, some 1HE, some ranged energy.....the list can go on. Most docs that have wanted to get an MBC have saved up for it. It was in their sights already. It's not usually a "oh it's free now, I'll just drop what I'm doing now to go for that".
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Breaks
    Why not add quests to Ado for the FA pistols? The Ado dryads are where ebay farmers camp, not inferno dynas, after all.

Inf was chosen by players IIRC as the next quest spot ... Ado/Pen will likely be next, then Ely ... and maybe they -will-

Questable NODROP FRN (while giving anyone who needs one the option to quest for it)? Yes, please.

Questable Ado weapons? Yes, please.

Imagine the impact on farmers.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Well I did not intend to sound selfish. Maybe I need to clarify a little.

I think that all items should be obtainable without the current mechanic of either camping for untold hours or farming credits. In the current state the game rewards greed and selfishness or sheer luck and tenacity.

I think that questing for items is a better option. That is all. I do not want it to be easy nor do I feel that things should be handed over without working for it.

As I mentioned the sense of accomplishment should still be there, make the missions hard and possibly have them require teams to finish. Much like the Armor Quests in EQ II.

I have been playing this game for a long time and think that any change to the current dynamic is only positive.

The next zone that the quest-maker-lady's blog mentioned to have quests added to it was scheol. I should find a link to it, but i'm too lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde
    Inf was chosen by players IIRC as the next quest spot ... Ado/Pen will likely be next, then Ely ... and maybe they -will-

Questable NODROP FRN (while giving anyone who needs one the option to quest for it)? Yes, please.

Questable Ado weapons? Yes, please.

Imagine the impact on farmers.

Bump ^^ Quests (long and hard) for camped gear is long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Anorah
    Bump ^^ Quests (long and hard) for camped gear is long overdue.
    You said long and hard...

::Goofy laugh::
    歯ブラシ.........
    Chaotic Order *AP*.....
    Durtycalm - 060|05|14 - Crat .| Doctor - 56|16|220 - Durtyheals....
    Gaara - 110|11|28 - Meta .| Keeper - 58|20|220 - Tsuyoi....
    Durtysnipe - 076|08|21 - Agent |. Fixer - 60|18|213 - Durtymeep......

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    You said long and hard...

::Goofy laugh::
    Yes, and meaty, filled with lots of..

content.

Quote Originally Posted by lolbbq
    no it wasnt. when the games economy was NEW everyone used nova flows
    Yay for those times .

Actually I'd correct it a little bit, everyone used Freedom Arms pistols, Mauls, Stygmas and Mausers when it was new .
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Baboone - Portable Deathstar

Dukatus - Choppah

IQuestable NODROP FRN (while giving anyone who needs one the option to quest for it)? Yes, please.
    nodrop FRN is rather pointless.. how are you going to hand it to the Engi to craft the glyph then? Or do you want to force every tier3 wearer to get 1200 in tradeskills?
    Marcos "Sisyphos" Bacarella - lvl 220 Enforcer 2HB *slam* *hack*
    Prof. Steven "Techleet" Falken - lvl 220 Engineer *solder* *screw* *BOOM*
    and the cuddly leet family -=(DNW miss yoo!)=-
    Through the ranks of the Unbeliever we shall move, creating a river of blood as we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaoleet
    nodrop FRN is rather pointless.. how are you going to hand it to the Engi to craft the glyph then? Or do you want to force every tier3 wearer to get 1200 in tradeskills?
    How about a quest for the final T3 glyph . The FRN is really the only hard part of it to obtain. I mean, Chosen/Faithful are the ultimate sided armors, shouldn't the appropriate sides be able to furnish you with the parts?

Players have no influence on the quest content... or anything in this game except the size of FC wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    We wouldn't make the nano in the first place if we didn't feel that it would be useful and at the very least a decent addition to any given professions nano listing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abalz
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Regidoc
    Personally, I'm looking forward to a change like this IF they make these certain nodrop items in the database quest items. Hell, we don't even know if these items will make it to live yet, it's all speculation. I worked through tooth and nail to get my first MBC and when I lost it to my "ordeal", I really have not felt up to working up the money to buy another one nor am I looking forward to trying to camp for one. This option might give me a chance to replace what was lost and only with doing some ACTUAL work, not sitting on my ass camping a mob then killing it or running endless missions or camping for other uber loot just so I can afford to buy said item myself.

I can understand why Mmba is so concerned about this since he doesn't want to feel that he wasted whatever amount of credits he spent to get his MBC in the first place. But just because these items might be questable. doesn't mean that every doc and other profession that might benefit from these items will be jumping over each other to get one. Everyone has different preferences on what they like and dislike in terms of weapon use. Some prefer MA, some 1HE, some ranged energy.....the list can go on. Most docs that have wanted to get an MBC have saved up for it. It was in their sights already. It's not usually a "oh it's free now, I'll just drop what I'm doing now to go for that".

qft
    and bump
    Lillagumman 220/24 Soldier stuff
    Shibari 220/14 Crat Shibari about to be reconfigurated stuff
    Froo 165/12 Adventurer
    no i dont have more alts.
    I miss Satenia
    Sith of Avatars Reloaded

Now if only they included the sense agi armor line that compared to bellums and merlins >_<

And Abalz, you're totally and completely wrong about the players having no influence over what happens and what doesn't. Just because the players don't usually get to see and take credit for whatever changes the devs decide to make, doesn't mean the devs never took any of our feedback into account. Because I can't see it, it doesn't exist?
    Gee...another expansion that I'm not interested in...maybe it's a hint? O.o

Eeky: Cz how much beer would I have to provide to you, to have you water balloon the people responsible for last patch?

Cz: I would never consider such a horrible proposal! (I'll have my people contact your people.)

Also wanted to add that the only pieces of bellum and merlins that are being added as nodrop are the shoulderpads and backpiece (for both of them).

Also unlike the new perennium weapons, there dont seem to be any "Personalization" items for the MBC, so it's quite possible it is a quest reward. It is however interesting that unlike the new nodrop armors (and flapper ribbon) the MBC both has a new name, and a new weapon mesh. Maybe the quest requires you to turn in an old one? Also notice the MBC is in all ranges from QL220 to QL260. Would be almost funny if it came as a quest reward, but you were rewarded with a random QL . Can see people complaining not "omg I killed afreet 50 times and only got a QL255 gun", but "omg I did the stupid 8 hour quest 10 times and can't get anything less than a QL230".

Personally, I'd like to see instead of them giving us nodrop versions of existing drops, to add new items (which they are doing), and also give questable versions of existing nodrops. Questable QL275 rings of computing or eye of evening star would sure be nice. Those are things that are for the most part impossible to get solo as it is. The new lightbar is a nice one too . Questable nodrop T2 or T3 glyphs would make a lot of people happy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LangWiz
    Now if only they included the sense agi armor line that compared to bellums and merlins >_<
    It's called Shroud of the Darkest Night, and it is being included. Just think of it as an incomplete set ;D

Why complain about something that FC _might_ do? MBC is'nt that good anyways, heh. And radiation dmg is not the easiest dmg to buff. In other words, search for alternative weapons. Like the Kyr Submachine gun....energy dmg(easily buffed, towers, gloves ++). And it od's mbc easily.

I didnt read all the posts in here, but...quit flaming eachother for something that might happen heh. So what if FunCom puts MBC as a quest prize? Too bad for the people that bought a cheap mbc and planned to resell it later for more money.

If they don't put it as a quest prize, and you dont want to spend the time it takes to achive one by either camping the gun, or camping the creds for it....go alternative style...like the emo norwegian "the colour black is awesome, so is piercings"-style.

You dont have to be mainstream you know The best things are most often "non-branded" items that not many people are using.

edit: corrected some things...oO ;D
    Last edited by Sauran; Jul 20th, 2006 at 12:28:18.
    Sauran 220 Solitus Doctor RK2
    Tehshade 220 Opifex Shade RK2
    Roycecat 150 Solitus Engineer RK2
    Poadrim 170 Trox Enforcer RK2

Here's to hoping all the SL items become a bit easier to attain without having to sink hundreds of millions into getting them. If its quests that's even better IMO.

The only reason anyone has to complain about this....they cant farm the items for hundreds of millions anymore and will help make our economy a bit more realistic. Already bought one? Well I can see your point that it sucks but at the same time think about it....if you could have gotten it for free or via questing im sure you would have, atleast I would have.

I think doing this to alot of SL stuff would also be an addition to helping stop the farming of credits as well.

Removing camping is a great thing IMO.

Bump for questable items.

Just think of HNT. Easy to get? Quest, yet hard to get.

It's late here, so ... HNT? Hundred Nice Things? Hungry Notum Towel? Hhli Needs Toys?
    Moonleg, 220 Adventurer and never levelling again!
    Fixored, 167 gridrunner
    Lunarblade, 94 honorable keeper.
    Lavan, 115 pretty-boy doctor that needs more levels.
    Moonatic, 117 tinkerer of gizmos.
    Fortehwin, 211 shadow-creeper. With glowsticks.
    Ammoonium, 108 NT gimpz0r.
    Dingbot, 100 XP-stick.
    Runalot,169 freexer.
    Horsehumper, 36 hor ... I mean, fist-fighter.
    Debuff, 46 wrangle-giver.

Heavy Notum Tank
    Hellcom "Stillian" Receptionist | Eternalist | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Agent "Lilmiz007" Isbeak | Finalizer | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Style "Heldale" Attack | General | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution

|| Primal Evolution ||

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast