Thread: Feedback Thread: GUI Changes

No interest in reading through 18 pages, so here's my opinions...

1. IP window is silent, bring back the clicking sound.
    2. IP "save" button should also close the window after saving
    3. IP reset control hidden, should be more obvious.
    4. Huge delay/lag when opening window, quite a pain.

5. Changing maps is a pain, make it easier like it used to be
    6. Zoom buttons should be grayed out when the option isn't available. (zooming in all the way still leaves button active)

7. "New ip available" tab on the side is annoying. Give an option to disable them, or make them fade away after X seconds. (less than 10 secs)

That's all I have for now, I'm sure more will come.

Makr (ENG 220/19) | Preachr (MP 220/17) | Reclaimr (CRAT 220/12)
    MisSlashr (ADV 200/18) | ShadyDealr (TDR 213/17) | Squishr (ENF 204/14)
    AmmoWastr (SOL 143/12) | Fleshmendr (DOC 160/21) | LeetSlicr (KPR 165/10)
    LilShootr (AGT 150/10) | TimeWastr (CRAT 100/5)
    General of Wolf Brigade

I made some earlier comments, and I stick by most of them (especially my thoughts on coloring the bars).

But, especially after playing with the "Minimal" mode, I definitely don't want a switch back to the old UI.

PS. Additional suggestion ... in the Minimal mode, instead of closing a skills section (Ranged, Melee, Nano and Aiding, etc) whenevr you open another section, allow multiple sections to display at once. It would be -terrific- to be able to compare multiple sections and see the effects of trickledown without clicking through sections repeatedly.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

why won't peeps give it a go for a week instead of whining instantly maybe then you see it's beter then the old one but no that can't be done cause?

just fix the lag while opening it and would be great to make the skill colour difference bigger dark blue and blue almost look the same.

everybody liked the new chat when it was released?

The skill window is a pain. I don't mind the way it is organized, or even the opening lag. My problem is that is just takes up too much of the screen. I spend IP while running most of the time, now it is simply too large on screen to do so safely in a lot of zones.

The stats window...I don't like it all, just takes up more space than before and I rarely if ever have reason to check my ACs.

No huge complaints other than the map window. Everything is wrong with that, put it back to original please.

Also don't feel like reading through 18 pages, so here's my take:

Skill window - I like the concept of giving more help to new users, but for power users, it's bad. In particular, as others have commented, the lag for it to load is unacceptable -- people want to level their skills during combat. Along the same lines, having it take up the majority of the screen vs. the old version's transparent background is bad, too. I often want to be able to look at my current skills compared to the reqs for an item in my inventory, and the new over-sized interface makes that difficult. You have the old code -- why not just make it a setting that users can choose between?

IP reset points - Having it in the "i" drop-down is just wacky. "i" = information, not essential functionality. I NEVER would have thought to look there if someone hadn't told me - it's completely inconsistent with any UI standards I know of. Also, you need to show how many reset points the character currently has without them having to choose to reset something.

Mouse scroll wheel - Love it! I use zoom a lot and this is a big convenience. I've heard suggestions, though, to make it Ctrl+wheel, and I'd be ok with that too -- just something on the mouse, not just the num pad, where the increments are much too large.

Map - Again, clearer for the new user, but hogging valuable screenspace for the experienced user. I'd just make it a user preference and make everybody happy.
    Valkyrieval, 220 Keeper, Rimor
    plus way too many alts!

Quote Originally Posted by Qapluss View Post
    In addition to previous suggestions in this forum, I would like to be able to change the order of skills in each subset. Allowing me to place the skills I most often upgrade where I want them. That would be functionality not avalable in the old interface and a real improvment.
    Oh, I *like* that.

Quote Originally Posted by Makr View Post
    7. "New ip available" tab on the side is annoying. Give an option to disable them, or make them fade away after X seconds. (less than 10 secs)
    There is an option to disable them; it's in settings. First thing I did, I've known since I saw it on test that I hated it.

(While you're in there, turn off the one that tells you that you have a new perk, too -- it's the same thing. )

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    The skill window is a pain. I don't mind the way it is organized, or even the opening lag. My problem is that is just takes up too much of the screen. I spend IP while running most of the time, now it is simply too large on screen to do so safely in a lot of zones.
    Have you tried minimizing? You can still spend ip, you just can't see the descriptions, and it takes up very little room and unlike the old Skill menu, it can be moved.

The stats window...I don't like it all, just takes up more space than before and I rarely if ever have reason to check my ACs.
    You can resize that window and hide them. Lord knows I do.

Two problems...

Map:
    The ludicrously enlarged buttons on planetmap absolutely suck. Fire whoever thought that up. The old, smaller buttons were perfect. These simply add a lot of useless spacefiller to the window... and don't say "WELL U CAN DISABEL TEM" I'd rather have buttons and be able to actively zoom without having a massive block of useless space filler on the screen.

Skills:
    I really don't see why there wasn't an option thrown in somewhere to use the old skill screen. The new one eats 75% of the active screen, yet you guys felt it necessary to shrink the numbers down to a nearly microscopic font? I feel really bad for anyone who already has to use reading glasses for the status window.

Not to mention this thing actually got me killed. I was in the subway with my noob soldier, and I wanted to pop it open while fighting because I had just hit level 11. Then I got an add. My next click was to be TMS and a first aid kit to save my butt... only, NOES! Five seconds later the skill screen briefly flashes along with the "lol noob you died" fade-to-white, and I wake up at reclaim. Granted, I don't really care about dying in the subway, but seriously... that should NOT have happened.

Oh, and just for laughs I tested the "suggested" IP spending button. Swing and a miss, try again. Or, better, just get rid of it.
    Angelmed - 220/20/64 - F1, UBT, AFK
    (stuff) - (more)
    Bigdumbnoob - 150 Alium Killer
    And the alt army

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrieval View Post
    Along the same lines, having it take up the majority of the screen vs. the old version's transparent background is bad, too. I often want to be able to look at my current skills compared to the reqs for an item in my inventory, and the new over-sized interface makes that difficult.
    Have you tried minimizing it? I know; I'm a broken damn record here. I apologize. I just literally can't understand saying it takes up the whole screen when it in fact minimizes into a nice narrow column. A column that, btw, allows me to have inventory, bags, bank AND skills open at once. I could never do it with the old one because ... I can't explain why concisely; I don't know the right words. Am I the only one who would try to right click an item in a bag, or move it from one to another, or shift-left-click it -- and the GUI responded as though you were clicking on one of the skill buttons? (Yes, thank you for telling me what abilities contribute to 1HE but really I just want to put on this helmet!)

Maybe it was just me. I *love* that the new one is in its own neat little box, that I can put it where *I* want it, and that it works so well with all the other things I like to have open on my screen. Yes, the colors need fixing and the font needs enlarging *posthaste* but overall I think it's a tremendous improvement.

Yes the minimize mode of the skill window is fine, you can still run/fight and spend IPs, and its not taking the whole screen, since you can move it to the left side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginsumaster View Post
    The ludicrously enlarged buttons on planetmap absolutely suck. Fire whoever thought that up. The old, smaller buttons were perfect. These simply add a lot of useless spacefiller to the window... and don't say "WELL U CAN DISABEL TEM" I'd rather have buttons and be able to actively zoom without having a massive block of useless space filler on the screen.
    Agreed. Yeah, you can disappear the buttons but then you're constantly clicking that stupid "i" to reenable them, zooming, then back to the "i" to disable them. I'm tired and irritated just thinking about it. So I sucked it up and have these huge buttons wasting valuable onscreen real estate. Nerf big dumb buttons, the icons were perfectly understandable even to the noobest of noobs.

The new one eats 75% of the active screen
    See above, LOL. If I type the M word one more time I might run mad. LOL

yet you guys felt it necessary to shrink the numbers down to a nearly microscopic font? I feel really bad for anyone who already has to use reading glasses for the status window.
    Well, I didn't but I do now, ha ha. :\

Five seconds later the skill screen briefly flashes along with the "lol noob you died" fade-to-white, and I wake up at reclaim. Granted, I don't really care about dying in the subway, but seriously... that should NOT have happened.
    Also agreed, but this isn't exactly a "planned feature." It's regarded as a problem and they've said they plan to fix it, so I'll give em the BotD and not open the thing when I can't afford to freeze for a few seconds.

Here's hoping the fix comes quicker than the opi-pad fix.

Oh, and just for laughs I tested the "suggested" IP spending button. Swing and a miss, try again. Or, better, just get rid of it.
    I'm quite sure I'll never take FC's suggestions for how to spend IP; I've gotten much better at researching in the forums and seeking out advice ingame. But when I landed on noob island I would have been thrilled to have this feature. It won't help people make perfect toons but it will give them a direction.

Most of all I wish the damn servers would come back up; I've cleaned and recleaned and shopped and I want to play my game. Grrr.

I vote for a *favourites* bar for ip - so you can have up all those u intend to spend ip on at same time, and hide the rest Or maybe it can be done by customizing the IP suggestion - button. Then that button would be useful for other than froobs and noobs too.
    | Saldomel Metaphysicist Auno | Saldvy - Adventurer Auno | Tevirony: Trader Auno
    | Aachel: Shade Auno | Saldomeldoc Doctor Auno
    Rimor - RK2 .. yes I always edit my posts..

maybe i'm just stupid i dno but if u can't do this this would be an awesome idea...

THE ABILITY TO SEPERATE SHORTCUT BARS!!! so like with us agents shades and all those other insane perk heals and anything else u wanna shove in a shortcut bar u dn't have to scroll it all the time am i right or am i right? or am i just right? btw i've said it already but..

I AM IN FAVOR OF THE NEW GUI... FUNCOM put a lotta work into doing new stuff...cut them some slack...

the zoom mouse wheel thingy...not good make it control zoom but guys...please stop spamming this thread with

me hate new GUI me complain like last 1000 people

Quote Originally Posted by Saldomel View Post
    I vote for a *favourites* bar for ip - so you can have up all those u intend to spend ip on at same time, and hide the rest Or maybe it can be done by customizing the IP suggestion - button. Then that button would be useful for other than froobs and noobs too.

good suggestion

Since it should be fairly easy to add a toggle for this, i suggest adding an option to
    1) Toggle on or off the Auto Distribute IP button altogether
    2) Toggle on or off the scroll bars on the map window
    3) Toggle on or off ICONS ala the old ones for the map window instead of the oversized buttons

For everything else http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho....php?p=4310472
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

It lags and sometimes freze game for +5s just to be opened. Its realy unconvnient when you are twinking and need to open skill window alot. Also its beyond my understanding how an update of the old skill window could be made so UGLY. Sure it might have mure potential with functionality for LE and such but shouldnt we expect a little more work put into it...its supposed to be an upgrade after all and not a downgrade.

A step backwards.

dont feel like reading it all:

But from what i've seen I agree with most here, its laggy, too small, and irritating as heck.

I also hate having to triple check or check even more then that to make sure I havent accidently spent IP somewhere stupid

I like the new reset option look...but that's about it, other then that the rest of it is pretty ....bad

I hate how its so cramped up, it looks too cluttered and its hard to read for me as the colours dont merge, and I keep forgetting which of my skills are actually dark blue and not worth putting a great deal of IP into to start with, so I have to stare at the letters (which really dont contrast the background) just to pick it up (I preffered the bars themselves being colour green, dark blue etc etc)

Meh its early morning, I just crawled out of bed, and feel like whining, but seriously, I dont like this new GUI...

Another suggestion ... if you have spent IP in a section, but have not yet saved, highlight the name of that section so that you can easily review your changes.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

I like it...
    I like it..
    I like it..

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast