Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Level packs (Boost to 50, Boost to 100, Boost to 150, Boost to 199).

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    As a middle-ground, I will propose an alternative suggestion that would be accessible for players. For every 220 a player has, a new boost level will be available to use at any point. In otherwords, if you have only 1 220, you can only boost characters to level 50, if you have 2 then 100, 3 then 150, and 4 allows you to boost to 199. You would have to purchase each booster pack, so it would not be a commonplace thing for every player to be quickly leveling.
    This is an excellent idea. I'd expect it to consider all 220's on all linked accounts, though.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

That sucks I only have 1 220... but no open character slots. Can I buy a character on a linked account? or, better yet! Buy character slots!
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

/signed

no to lvl booster packs
    The most obvious MB on Rubi-Ka
    Insane666 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Soldier Insanity669 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage Doc Insanity699 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage MP
    Insanity696 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Bureaucrat Insane669 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Fixer Insanity666 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage NT

Insane699 ( 164/22 ) Solitus Trader Insane969 ( 150/20 ) S10 Trox Smurf

Omni-Tek
    Hells Hero for a decade, now a Punk
    spreading insanity all over rk, since 2005

This is undoubtedly an issue where common ground between opinions would be hard to find, if people want a fast way to endgame they will find it one way or the other, be it through the level boosts or through OST's / pocket teams / kite hill etc. Introducing the level boosts will not, in my opinion, reduce or increase the number of players wanting to skip the grind... just provide one more way for doing it.

Funcom has made some great changes in improving the grind so far, we must admit that, daily missions.... DOJA's.... XP/SK gains from SL quests.... these have all been welcome additions.

Perhaps if FC were to put some time into improving the want to participate in the day-to-day mob bashing aspect of the game then this would go some way to enticing more people to take part in it? An incentive to kill normal mobs beyond simple XP/SK gains would definitely entice me to look forward more to the day-to-day grinding, perhaps introducing more interesting and useful loot for normal non-boss mobs would be the way to go? If working my way through a camp of hoathlans offered a good chance to loot something to improve my toon without having to spawn camp a boss over and over then I'd definitely have an incentive for that activity. If team level also played into increasing drop rates of wanted items that would also be a welcome and beneficial bonus.
    Rimor:
    Russless - 220 Opifex Agent
    Moriarty - 220 Solitus Crat
    Urassis - 170 Nano-mage NT
    Eccles - 219 Opifex fixer
    Subwaysplat - 25 Atrox Enforcer
    Templetastic - 60 Atrox Enforcer
    Shishkabob - Opifex Shade
    Goonagal - Atrox Keeper

Proud Member of The Empire

Quote Originally Posted by DecemberSky View Post
    How is this even a remotely bad idea? there are already "companies" out there that offer this ervice that people use. I just see it as FC stomping on their faces and taking their revenue,. Which is fine by me.

right on; totally agree with you December. these damn power levelling "companies" (lol) have their finger in someone elses pie far too often, and the thought of funcom sticking up for themselves and their product and giving power levelling/credit selling "entrepreneurs" a kick to the proverbial groin is a damn good thing that should happen more often in the mmo world; far, far more often.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

problem is, there is always a demand for this quick levelling/easy mode service by the weekend warriors with deep pockets. sure, funcom could just spend alot of time and money tracking these cred/level sellers into their holes and flushing them out, but why? why crawl around in sewers looking for them, when funcom can take the high(puff puff) and clean road(?) like they're doing and kill two birds with one stone?

And, not to forget the bigger problem; the players that power level others for ingame credits (including kite hill NTs); they are more responsible for thinning out the teaming population for new players than level boosters will ever be. yeah, they may be doing it legitimately within the ingame economy, but they are still contributing to the decrease in new player retention like some are predicting the level boosters will do. how? power levelling has already done most of the damage. hopefully though, osting and kiting will soon be a thing of the past. its whats killed the new player experience more than any level booster ever could, and i truly believe it because I have witnessed alot of new players leave this game because of osting/kiting/not enough people to team with.

the post above mine hits home though. the levelling experience should be more than just heckler bashing. there has to be something changed, because the problem of ost/kiting is just a symptom of AO being a boring and long uneventful grind otherwise. course, they can always sell you the fix for that problem, which brings my post around full circle to where i started. :~
    Last edited by SoulTarder; Nov 17th, 2010 at 01:44:49.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    This is an excellent idea. I'd expect it to consider all 220's on all linked accounts, though.
    sounds fine and dandy but, what about someone who wants to boost an exsisting toon from say 100-150 not 0-150.

I like the idea of level boost for vet players and the need to have 1 220 is enough. I have 2 220s and have played for 6yrs. There are still some people out there though who have played longer than myself that still don't have a 220 so they get the shaft. Then there are though who have 10 220s and still don't know how to play them. Giving us the option to pay RL cash for levels is not going to change anything other than some time spent for those will to use boost.

I personally have a couple toons I would love to take to 220 that I just don't have the time for, especially when you consider the item, research, faction and AI grind you would still need to do even with a boost.

No good idea at all for the live dimensions.

Only accounts that contain a 220/30/70 (lets call this endgamechar) should get any advantage, but not "buy levels" !

Instead of this, accounts with a endgamechar may buy that xp boost nano from testlife, but only the lifedimension version (= self only, modded to work better up to 220)
    http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=273049

The live version could maybe look like
    Level 10-100: 100%
    Level 101-150: 110%
    Level 151-190: 120%
    Level 191-200: 130%
    Level 201-220: 150%

If the decision is set in stone already, make it at least only for accounts available, that contain a endgame character, a 220/30/70.

Im sorry, i dont get in touch with selling levels.
    I saw soo many mmorpg's the last years, and i was always happy, we are not like "them".
    Continue this tradition.
    That made me return for ages now, and declaring AO as my virtual home.

The intention to implement a ingame webbrowser is clearly set to earn money instead of creating a helpful tool. Thats not very AO'ish.

But lets see what we get, i was always open for new ages ^^
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

You can't buy levels unless you've got a 220 character. You can only buy 4 different level boosts. You don't get much out of XP boost nanos when you're fighting mobs that cap your XP.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

set me up on ur list anarchi1
    Rylourne 220/21 enf

Nanoryl 220/19 NT NEW NAME (Nanobots)

Unisolder 126/15 sold

ThaBeast 220/xx/xx inc pvp beast

So many emo's on this forum :/
    RK
    Roxburry 220/30/70 Cratz0r
    Roxbury 220/25/70 Shadez0r
    Bolrn 220/27/70 Mpz0r
    Arrow83 220/27/70 Solz0r

Honestly, I would be among those that would prefer FC fixed the leveling grind itself, but until then a lot of us really want a way to level faster.

Now, for another possible alternative, FC could make an item that will simply make leveling faster without making it an instant jump to a certain point. It would be like a daily mission item that when used will boost you a single level and then lockout from use for another 18 hours. Players will still be leveling, they will just be doing it faster. It should also keep the 160-180ish toons out of inferno.

No to lvl boosts.

Yes to extra character slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    Honestly, I would be among those that would prefer FC fixed the leveling grind itself, but until then a lot of us really want a way to level faster.
    Second, or third, or fourth this opinion. I don't think boosts are what's needed, that's only attacking a symptom of what I believe is the root cause--a bloated level grind that was balanced for 8 years ago when the game had 10 times the population it does now, and teams were plentiful.

What they should be doing is reducing the amount of XP required to level across the board drastically, by something like 25%. Barring that, at least starting from the beginning of TL6. Maybe make it a completely linear progression as opposed to the exponential nightmare it is now.

That said it seems the servers are down now for the patch. I am curious to see how much the boosts will cost--it's possible they'll be so expensive that it won't be a popular option.

/signed

Blackmesa
    220/30/68 Clan Agent

ja

you should update that list already anrachic,,,

and btw, i like how FC only told us about the keybindings and items shop a few days ago and already rushing a patch

looks like they dont want to give us much chance on giving any feedback

o top of that we aint allowed to post we quit ao no more lol

sweeping dirt under the carpet, arent we FC?
    The most obvious MB on Rubi-Ka
    Insane666 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Soldier Insanity669 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage Doc Insanity699 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage MP
    Insanity696 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Bureaucrat Insane669 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Fixer Insanity666 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage NT

Insane699 ( 164/22 ) Solitus Trader Insane969 ( 150/20 ) S10 Trox Smurf

Omni-Tek
    Hells Hero for a decade, now a Punk
    spreading insanity all over rk, since 2005

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Insane666 View Post
    o top of that we aint allowed to post we quit ao no more lol

sweeping dirt under the carpet, arent we FC?
    Posts containing account status have never been allowed on the forums and this has been a part of our rules for many years. We're a little lax about it from time-to-time in places like LoA/LoR, but these sorts of things are generally discouraged in the more "sane and rational" parts of the forums.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    the more "sane and rational" parts of the forums.
    Oh nice, I seem to have missed those for the last 6 years or so. Link please?

Funcom employee

Note that I did say "more" - IE: For a relative value of "sane and rational".

;P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Note that I did say "more" - IE: For a relative value of "sane and rational".

;P
    Relativity is lost on most people. A good example is being shot in the foot is "more" pleasant than being shot in the face.

I already feel that AO is on easy "god mode"... it is hard NOT to level. Iti s far more rare to find a team WITHOUT a pocket levels 20-170, so most people are sitting there twiddling their thumbs with no danger of losing XP or having to actually play the character. They end up being no-talent hacks farming points on raid bots or PvP-heavy characters who can only really fight each other.

That said, it isn't something that should be bought. I'd argue that leveling should be harder, but that is not pertinent to this issue.

/sign to limit XP to actual experience.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast