Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cursor up and Shift = Autorun

Cursor up and Shift = Autorun

Just managed to get this back tonight.

Disable the 'Global' key bind (which is CursorUp) and set Forward to CursorUp.

Back to normal, I'll quit whining now.

but then you lose the ability to run while typing - unless you are happy with running straight and not turning....

u can turn with mouse btw

Quote Originally Posted by Crowena View Post
    but then you lose the ability to run while typing - unless you are happy with running straight and not turning....
    You must be a chick, run around corners and type?

Guy's aint good at multitasking.

After a bit more playing around if you just disable the global key for forward (CursorUp) and set your normal forward key to CursorUp you can use the other arrow keys to turn and stop while autorunning, even with chat open.

Thanks, Tanana, it's great to move normally again.
    The Independent Rubikans - The oldest Neutral Org on RK1! 10.5 years and counting!

Namiru - 210/30/58 Neutral Solitus Martial Artist, Advisor - Always accepting new students in the Art
    Thalona - 199/25/40 Neutral Solitus Meta-Physicist, Veteran - Pondering higher thought
    Weefleboy - 150/20/40 Neutral Opifex Fixer, Member - Wheeling and Dealing somewhere on RK.
    Johnnysokko - 60/6/14 Neutral Solitus Engineer, Member - Still trying to twink that Slayer on.
    Keepdafaith - 60/6/14 Neutral Atrox Keeper, Member - IR Temple Services
    Powerbender - 100/6/14 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician, Member
    Deleetful - 65/7/14 Neutral Solitus Adventurer, Applicant
    Lumbergh - 60/5/10 Neutral Nanomage Bureaucrat, Applicant - "M'yeah, I'm going to have to ask that you go ahead and come into work on Saturday...that would be great..."

Best thread ever!

Thanks!
    Uni "Unixint80" Idoru, 206/13 Neutral NT Veteran of Shattered Dreams
    What I've Got My Perk Setup My Nuke Setup (All slightly outdated)

FREE BOREALIS!!!

hmmm, I still can't find a way to get both w-shift and up arrow-shift to do auto-run though.

I know I'm being stubborn, but I want everything back the way it was. I don't mind having to change key bindings to get that, but I want there to be options to bind.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrien View Post
    hmmm, I still can't find a way to get both w-shift and up arrow-shift to do auto-run though.
    It is possible to do that. I figured it out just before my account expired so I can't tell you the exact buttons but basically you just have to select "forward" and hit "add" (or something similar) and then bind the other key to that.

Or you can hit numpad 0.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    Or you can hit numpad 0.
    Troll

Or you can hit numpad 0.
    Not as convenient as using shift -key especially if you don't have full keyboard.

Then bind autorun to shift+w, or just shift.
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Use alt+w ! Same effect and still working.

And the above idea is plain smart.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

And alt+arrow? And can you reach from arrow keys to alt key with the same hand? What is the point anyway with posting alternatives when the whole point is wanting the old ways to work instead of having to learn new ones. For new player it is not a problem but if you have spent years using certain keys then the fingers will keep trying to use them.

Then bind autorun to shift+w, or just shift.
    And alt+arrow? And can you reach from arrow keys to alt key with the same hand? What is the point anyway with posting alternatives when the whole point is wanting the old ways to work instead of having to learn new ones. For new player it is not a problem but if you have spent years using certain keys then the fingers will keep trying to use them.
    See my post that I quoted. I am fairly certain veterans will know how to use the new binding system. Problem solved.

Demoder:

I use a Laptop, Dell 1710.

The shift key is directly over the CursorUp and the way I've learnt how to play with this keyboard is to begin running forward and then hitting shift, allowing me to relax my middle finger and just use left and right cursor to turn.

Doing CursorUp and Alt is a totally un-natural thing to do as is making my finger stretch another inch to Numpad0.

Binding W and shift isn't much use if you don't use WASD for movement, which I don't.

Making Shift Autorun isn't the same either as in order to use it you need to stop for a split second before pressing it. When you compare that to a seemless transaction it's a very big difference.

Please tell me how to get it back to how it was. What I've suggested isn't perfect but it's as close to how it was before, for me, as I can get. If you know a better way please fess up.

See my post that I quoted. I am fairly certain veterans will know how to use the new binding system. Problem solved.
    I read it. It is not the same seamless functionality because you have that little moment of stopping. Well, maybe FC will add old functionality to the shop so you can pay $50 per toon to get it back....

Thumbs up Thank you !

@Tanana : thank you mate, all is as it was before, on my laptop.

I cleared all Global movement key and set their "normal" counterpart. Shift+direction is now working as it was, which is running/turning without stopping a few milliseconds.

Notes :
    • Clear Global first (i.e. for example "Forward (Global)") then assign to "Forward" the key you want,
    • Shift isn't bind to any key.

Don't tempt me into asking you what you do with your left hand.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast