Thread: Getting More From Anarchy Online Through WINE (FPS)

Getting More From Anarchy Online Through WINE (FPS)

I have recently switched to Linux. I run Anarchy Online through WINE. At first, I installed the video drivers from the System > Administration > Additional Drivers. After doing that, I ran AO it was performing OK. I notice, though, that in more populated areas FPS was dropping to rates it should not be dropping to.

Anyway, I then get rid of any trace of the previous nVidia installation (Sys>Admin>Additional Driver) using command in the terminal etc.

I then installed official x86 drivers from the nVidia website. It took a while to get Nouveau kernel off and nVidias on but I got there in the end.

So, now I have the most current drivers.

I run Anarchy Online and I see improvement, slightly. But, still, when running through Borealis on my main who has run speed of up to 3k - FPS drops to 12ish. I am getting about 10-30. Tbh, it is not all that different from when I had it running on Windows but it wouldnt be as sticky in Borealis; I do not know if it because of the client loading characters and it being laggy, OR if it is a video issue - I see FPS go to about 12 from 22-30.

ALSO: NVIDIA XServer Settings:

NVIDIA Driver Version: 260.19.44

Should I be getting 10-30 FPS with a 880GTS on an Intel C2D 6600?

If you have the RAM for it, try to set up a memfs, copy AO to it and run.
    Should hopefully see some (severe) improvement in crowded areas.

If the gain is acceptable, you should probably look into a permanent solution which automatically syncs the memfs with disk.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

I have found so far that running AO through the Windows 95 emulation boosts performance considerably.

Also, when I used Windows, I would have a very cluttered GUI for AO. I have found that each one of these widgets (say a Control window opened so you can access your perks) makes quite a difference to FPS performance.

With a combination of lesser clutter and emulation through Win95 (rather than 98) I can get somewhere near double the FPS I was getting before. I just did a 12man and things were smooth.