Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 27th, 2011 - Screens

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Yes, the population is low, that has nothing to do with the design of the content. They should not go back and change everything about the game because there is a low population.

Likewise they should not change new things to be fit for a low population, because they will just have to change it again when the population goes back up.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/retreat

n.
    a. The act or process of withdrawing, especially from something hazardous, formidable, or unpleasant.
    b. The process of going backward or receding from a position or condition gained.
    most people call this area of retreat "decon." this isn't city or tower pvp, where you die and you're out of the fight. this is the whole reason why the concept was brought about in the first place. so people would fight more, and hide less. now your telling us, that with the upcoming changes, where you die, spawn in decon, and then can instantly warp to any part of BS (instead of wait for 20 seconds to spawn in the same boring spot), you care about retreating?

be honest, this comes down to one thing, and one thing only; Ego. you don't want to give anyone that satisfaction of killing your well geared toon, and farming pvp score off you. BS is clearly designed to be a fast paced, non-stop zergfest where dying only means you are out of the action for a few seconds. if thats not your style of pvp, than it just sucks for you, but it is what it is.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    Isn't that exactly what they're doing? Back after LE was released it was COMMONPLACE to see skirmishes in every corridor. Those spaces weren't empty back then.
    They aren't closing them up because they aren't being used, they are closing them up to make the BS a smaller.

So if my teammates are supposed to ambush them at the portal they are going through, how did they get in front of them when they a) didn't know which way they were going, and b) have capped runspeed?
    :| Do I really have to explain some basic pincher move tactics to you? Two groups move in a closing direction to limit the movement of a 3 party that is the target.

If the target is jumping between points A and B, you put 3 people at A and 3 people at B, then no matter where the target jumps to it's going to run into a group. If you have Groups 1 and 2 start of combined chasing the target from A to B then Group 1 stays and Group 2 goes over the target. If the target moves onto C then Group 2 goes though to point C, at which point they relay its location to group 1. So Group 1 will either close up at the A to C point, or move though A - B to close up on the C - B point.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

About the portal hopping thing...

I'm a bit confused. If Funcom really wanted to discourage portal hopping couldn't they just have something cast in your NCU that prevents you from using the portal again for xx seconds?

I'm not clear on why retreating or avoiding death is frowned upon in battlestations. If I find that I am going up against an opponent (or opponents) that are stronger/better/whatever then I have no issue with retreating.. hopefully after spamming around some sort of roots or blinds (depending on what char I'm on) to give me a bit of an advantage on escape.

Do people actually feel that you should just stand and die just because you go to decon (which is too long by the way.. I hope we will be able to insta leave it via that map) and don't have to rebuff? What's the logic in that?
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    Did comprehend the statement my post was responding to.
    BS is meant to be fast paced, Players will not be able to "instantly" spawn somewhere else after ending decon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    1. "Teleport Maps" similar to those used the the new open PvP playfields are being added to all Battlestations. On arrival in the Decontamination rooms a the normal process will proceed where outside buffs are removed etc...but now at the end of the process players will be able to select (on a map) which location they would like to enter the action from. There will be many locations available as this should drastically reduce spawncamping and unneeded running (especially important at low levels). Those that do not choose a location in an allotted time will be sent to the "Normal" place.

2. Large empty areas of the Battlestations are going to be made inaccessible. The blank areas between teleporters at core and wings are going to be blocked off. Before these areas were necessary for Mech transport but with the removal of the steps around teleporters are no longer necessary.

3. Removal/Smoothing of bridge and ramp areas around core. The circular ramp in core and the "bridge" type structure outside core are going to be smoothed out to remove the unneeded confusion they provide to pet pathing.
    Last edited by Technogen; May 31st, 2011 at 19:58:30.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I'm a bit confused. If Funcom really wanted to discourage portal hopping couldn't they just have something cast in your NCU that prevents you from using the portal again for xx seconds?
    Yes they could, but no where has FC said they want to discourage portal hopping.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Yes they could, but no where has FC said they want to discourage portal hopping.
    Well that was my point
    You can find me at:

Portal hopping merely delays the inevitable. And increases the satisfaction of killing such an annoying bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    Portal hopping merely delays the inevitable. And increases the satisfaction of killing such an annoying bastard.
    Plus, you can have one of your side 4cap while everyone else is busy teleporting in a frenzy and /flip the portal hoppers outside!

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Basing an argument on anything would make him a fanboy though, hateboys hate being mistaken for fanboys. But who would play a game for as long as he has if he's not a fanboy though? Anyone else would've quit this game after the first week.
    i knew a lot of people who said "one day i will be the last ao player left on the server and turn the lights off when it goes down"...

they all have one thing in common: they are gone, most of them a long long time.
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Why on earth we have portals there at all?
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Why on earth we have portals there at all?
    Get rid of the portals, shorten up the hallways, create hallways between A, B and C directly.

Epic wins?
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

...or alternatively, learn to fight against people who recognize "Stand here and let me hit you" isn't a great strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Riawn View Post
    ...or alternatively, learn to fight against people who recognize "Stand here and let me hit you" isn't a great strategy.
    By chasing them with capped runspeed, trying to root them with 80% root resist. You are truly a visionary.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

This game cracks me up sometime. I mean really...

Let's hypothetically say you're packing a gun in real life and some yahoo comes up to you with a knife. Are you going to stand there and let him stab you to death or are you going to use the fact that you are ranged (holding a gun) to your advantage by putting some distance between the two of you and shooting him from afar?

What is so admirable about standing still and dieing as opposed to running away if you know you can't take your opponent out? I'm not doing my side any good in BS by spending extra time in decon but I am helping out when 2 or 3 guys are busy trying to chase me down and soemone else from my side is capping and getting us more points for a win.

And seriously, if some nutcase is dumb enough to waste their time tracking me through teleporters then wonderful same logic applies.. I'm keeping that person busy while my side is working on capping points. I guess the teleporter issue and/or retreating/running is another one of those topics that will differ based on whether you are putting more priority on winning the BS round or PvPing individuals.

And no.. there's no ego issue with me and dieing. The only annoying thing I find about dieing in BS is that you spend too much time in decontamination. It isn't like I have to rebuff.. that should be a 3 second in and out.
    You can find me at:

By chasing them with capped runspeed, trying to root them with 80% root resist. You are truly a visionary.
    Guess what, you can get capped RS too, so learn to out flank them. :|

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I guess the teleporter issue and/or retreating/running is another one of those topics that will differ based on whether you are putting more priority on winning the BS round or PvPing individuals.
    No, the topic would differ if you consider those things two different events. The problem is people can't have more than 1 goal at a time it confuses them. I see a good number of confused people in this thread, and it makes me sad.

And no.. there's no ego issue with me and dieing. The only annoying thing I find about dieing in BS is that you spend too much time in decontamination. It isn't like I have to rebuff.. that should be a 3 second in and out.

3s is too short, it should provide a tactical issue for your side's players being dead. However yes, 20s is too long now, it use to be on death buffs died as well so you did need to rebuff, that is no longer the case.

I believe it should be a compound time, on your first death you're in there for 5s, next death 6s, and so on until 10s, then it resets.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Guess what, you can get capped RS too, so learn to out flank them. :|
    Tech, we all know you don't PvP. Don't try and make BS into a Han Tzu Art of War lesson.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

No, the topic would differ if you consider those things two different events. The problem is people can't have more than 1 goal at a time it confuses them. I see a good number of confused people in this thread, and it makes me sad.
    I think you are assuming something that, at least in my case, is not true. Besides getting VP for Ofab/Ring, when I go to BS my only goal is to win the round.. not because I am not capable of having multiple goals (that is almost an insult to my intelligence if someone were to indicate otherwise) but because doing 1v1 pvp in Battlestations doesn't interest me.

I think a lot of people fail to understand that there are people that actually enjoy playing games and trying to win them for the sake of winning and may not necessarily be all that interested in 1v1 PvP. Just because I'm not interested in it doesn't mean there is something wrong with me going to BS with the goal of 'winning' in mind. My definition of winning just might differ from someone else's.
    You can find me at:

Considering you're complete lack of consideration of the re-balance and it's effects on PVP, go ahead and add yourself to that visionary camp. You're making all these assumptions about how BS will work if they change it when you have no idea. Didn't someone already ask you once to make an argument why they shouldn't change BS based on some reasoning as opposed to what your prediction is?
    Last edited by Obtena; Jun 1st, 2011 at 01:38:52.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

So I got home today from work and I just couldn't resist replying to some of this mess:

-people exploiting line of sight and faulty game mechanics
    How do you have LOS issues in the plain, flat, open areas of the battlestations that are going to be blocked off soon??

-spawn camping
    Maaaaybe, the multiple spawn point option will help with spawn camping, but there becomes the problem that the twinks will now be able to stand with less resistance at the new spawn points because it won't be home territory of the enemy. 50/50 chance of this change working.

It would work better if they kept the corridors unblocked and threw some spawn points in the middle of each corridor. There would be more options for smarter tactics that way.

-pets getting stuck
    I don't see pets getting stuck in flat, open areas. Not even on the spiral at core.

-afk daily farmers
    Removing 50% of the BS does not solve the problem of /afkers.....most afkers stay in one spot the entire time and usually it's at the spawn point.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Nothing dumb about it. Why does portal hopping matter. Last time I checked, BS isn't won by portal hopping...
    The last time you checked must have been 2 years ago. If you are serious about "winning" the round, then that means you are often running to a cap point, which means that someone is probably chasing you. You aren't likely going to win a round if you PVP everyone you meet, so a smart tactic to lose the chaser is to play a quick round of "teleporter tag". It usually works about 8 times out of 10.

Well obtena's right, if someone starts portal hopping, have 3 of your team members stay at 1 end the other 3 go though and chase the hopper back to the other 3, end game move on.
    If you have 4 coordinated people on a particular side, then nothing on that entire BS (as-is) is a problem to you anyways.....meaning the changes aren't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Dude, YOU are the one claiming that people will be doing more portal hopping, not Technogen.
    FC is going to be essentially turning BS into 3 tiny rectangles attached to a circular core by means of teleporters ONLY. Yes, there will be MUCH more teleporter use, and thanks to the level differences, the lower level players are going to get really smart, really fast and realize that they can lose those grossly overpowered twinks by playing teleporter tag.

/yawn

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast