Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - August 5th, 2011 - Magnetic times

Quote Originally Posted by midgarclan View Post
    When will we hear more about the Content Designers Positions! I am sure we are all equally as eager to hear more about it!
    The position is still open on the website, so they haven't chosen someone else for it yet.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

IMO, the best strategy seems to be: Don't say a thing 'till it's ready. Otherwise, you'll never hear the end of it.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Well they added content that was fun for the 10 year birthday, they just decided to remove it again. Logic behind it? Well it's 2012 soon.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Power Issues

The unshielded lines is a good start but do you have any night cleaning staff that bring any devices(music machines) with them to work? Unshield speakers(think magnets) might be a problem.

As for the supposed Star Wars desertion rush the only way I would join in is if players could only hunt Ewoks with pitchforks and be able to make Ewok bacon from their babies hairless bellies cuz they've been fire roasted clean. Mmmmmmm Ewok bacon!!

Its painfully obvious that some of the people that make comments in here regarding code have never ever ever tried to make flow charts out of undocument and untitled subroutines that get called from not even god knows where to do god knows what. Its strange but true, take 50 village idiots, put them in front of keyboards and they can type out one forum post for AO and THEN post a reply as well! Must be a reason for their existence other than puzzling their mothers relationship with God.

Whatever.

indie devs can make great games from scratch or have well documented engines to work with and have a clear overview of what does what so it can be done on a timely fashion.... from what we've heard from the AO devs, they still get amazed every day with what the gameengine and the database does really.

the only thing you can blame to the devs is that the news about the new engine came out too soon.... and that happened so get over it.

i laugh with the people using the star wars argument as that game does not appeal me in any way and i know many that also think it's just another MMO jumping the failwagon of wannabee wow clones that try to be a little different, but not too much.

AO is still playable(for most... not for me since dell has to update their custom nvidia driver asap) to this day thanks to the great dev team we have... cut them some slack since they are working as hard as they can. They are not our private slaves that should only work on AO and have no lives outside that. Enjoy the game and be social.... i have refreshed my friendlist a few times over the years to make sure i only have people online in them and can do everything that i want, so i'm sure others can do the same.
    No need to remind the devs every day about something obvious >< it gets boring and you're not out here on a holy crusade against an ancient evil.

and yay for exploding towers again.... been too long
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    Mine is actually mostly windows and blinking lights.
    Really? Dont they give you real workstations? That explains alot...

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    All you need from a case is proper airflow if you're doing aircooling, and you likely are. Windows, lights, those things don't interfere, but it's not the thing you usually see in an office landscape.
    You must have never heard of EM-shielding. A proper case not only keeps the high frequency fields inside the case, it also keeps those from the outside out. Cut a hole in the side and put a window in, and your shielding literally went out the window.

A "boring" case is not merely an end in itself, you know, especially not in a professional environment.

But thats just one aspect of EM-shielding, the other is a proper power supply.

Never would have thought the hamster food overseas was better than Canada's.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...and in the next update Notum Wars towers should once again explode properly as they used to...
    \o/
    Ofab - Doctor [e]
    Clipfury - Soldier
    R22866281602 - Bureaucrat
    Icey2 - Soldier [deleted]
    First to receive an infraction worth 1337 points.

Bump this thread for Black Atroxes!

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    Mine is actually mostly windows and blinking lights.
    Posting to confirm Macrosun's case lights sped up compiling by 15%
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Posting to confirm Macrosun's case lights sped up compiling by 15%
    So get him one of those old movie computers with 600 lights on them to make em look like they're working and he can compile stuff instantly!

{Edited by Yarkona}
    it's not their game after all. A lot of the code is old stuff left by some old employee that people now just get to figure out how it works.
    Last edited by Yarkona; Aug 7th, 2011 at 02:50:33.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

just let it be... there are always the ignorant ones that think their words is the truth, while it aint.

i enjoy FWM as they are
    the devs get a face cause it's not always bussiness.

also since you did pull in DNF... how many years does that mean that the devs have until they reach the ...14 years?(right that many i think?)... of developing on the new engine before we can cry it's worse then DNF?
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

12 years i think Omega. so they still have a decade or so
    Last edited by Spartanx9; Aug 6th, 2011 at 23:08:12.
    220/30 - Spartanx9. Back for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquihana
    Haquihana: And Spartanx9, I dont usually spend much time in the soldier forums.. you all don't make enough rucus (NOTE: this is not a message of approval to go cause unjust trouble)
    Sounds like i need to cause some trouble I kid i kid

Whats HDD? Go ssssolid sssstate. Now's a good time and excuse
    Last edited by S33D; Aug 6th, 2011 at 23:22:35.

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    and yay for exploding towers again.... been too long
    Yeah thats's what needed to be fixed about NW.. Totally!

Same with the BS changes. They did tons of stuff that noone was asking for, yet they couldn't do a simple thing that everyone wanted. Namely putting a score table outside. Or a simple green light outside if it's running.

But I guess it just follows the logic we've gotten used to: If it's reasonable and if a player suggested it then it can never ever be implemented.

D'oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    Yeah thats's what needed to be fixed about NW.. Totally!

Same with the BS changes. They did tons of stuff that noone was asking for, yet they couldn't do a simple thing that everyone wanted. Namely putting a score table outside. Or a simple green light outside if it's running.

But I guess it just follows the logic we've gotten used to: If it's reasonable and if a player suggested it then it can never ever be implemented.

D'oh.
    In a way, spawn camping is bad. But now, people can be virtually anywhere, anytime. If you kill someone, they're debuffs are still running on you by the time they can get back. Which is bad for business.

Bump the scoreboard.
    And I won't let a FWM go without asking about the GFX engine, it's whats most dear to us all.
    Fastest Contact: Northadvncd "Agptaxi" Bankterminal
    Created: 2005-08-07 The AGP Cancelled: 2012-02-11
    AGPSHADOWMA2202568[P][E] AGPSHADOOMNT2142650[P][E]
    AGPECKOSOL1502049[P] AGPATLASDOC1502023[P]
    JURKENF150207[P][P2] JWRKENF270207 JUURKMP600614[P] HANZELSOL1001028[P]

Quote Originally Posted by AGPEcko View Post
    In a way, spawn camping is bad. But now, people can be virtually anywhere, anytime. If you kill someone, they're debuffs are still running on you by the time they can get back. Which is bad for business.
    Yup and it's something that anyone who actually plays the game realizes as soon as they try it. Or as soon as they hear about it. The question is why FC can't figure even the simplest of things like this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
    You must have never heard of EM-shielding. A proper case not only keeps the high frequency fields inside the case, it also keeps those from the outside out. Cut a hole in the side and put a window in, and your shielding literally went out the window.

A "boring" case is not merely an end in itself, you know, especially not in a professional environment.

But thats just one aspect of EM-shielding, the other is a proper power supply.
    In a world full of damaging electro magnetic fields and devices not capable of absorbing them accordingly, maybe that would be an actual problem in an office environment. If anything, failing drives all the time sounds like either a software issue present on each PC or, more likely, something to do with the powersupply. If it fluctuates, it ends up breaking the drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    indie devs can make great games from scratch or have well documented engines to work with and have a clear overview of what does what so it can be done on a timely fashion.... from what we've heard from the AO devs, they still get amazed every day with what the gameengine and the database does really.
    Well, that's not too surprising, since at the start of such a project, you either have a very well documented engine, like Unreal Engine which a lot of indie or small time developers use, or you build your own from scratch to suit your purposes, and thus know what's going on inside it.
    AO engine, database structure and everything else was developed in the late 90's, over 10 years ago, by newbies, and meant only to last 4 years, which meant that a bunch of hacks was good enough as long as it would keep on running. There were no plans to make new graphics engines or expand anything beyond what it could do at the time.
    Then those plans all changed, the teams changed, and there was a constant requirement to keep producing new things, new code support for new things, etc., and noone ever had time to sit down, go through all the code, write proper documentation for everything and so on and so forth. Even though there was a couple years back the work done about rewriting a lot of AO, done by Enno ("No more old code lurks in the depths of AO" or some such in his signature, so no idea what that actually was or resulted in. But obviously nothing that made it any more helpful to use
    I spent 1,5 hours last night watching John Carmack's Quakecon 2011 keynote, and he stressed that rather than spend loads of time on developing new gimmicky effects and what not, he'd started focusing on writing extremely correct code, down to now getting no warnings or errors at all in several compile time analysers on Rage. The end goal being to not have a single exception in the code. But hey, that's probably part of the reason why developing that game has taken 7 years
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    IMO, the best strategy seems to be: Don't say a thing 'till it's ready. Otherwise, you'll never hear the end of it.
    It would indeed be the best strategy if you just don't know if it's going to take 1 more year or 3 more years.

many players keep paying because they believe/believed in the promised dates. Thats why FC announce them even if they are unrealistic.
    meep

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast