Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: No more clicksaver/item assistant?

well my wirus scanner is f-secure 9.31, so cant say its "some random scanner". i know some1 didnt like it, but hey it works. Looks bad when it pop up, becose its been silent pritty long time before that

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    There's one in every bunch isn't there.

You look at the comments section of a lot of downloads out there and some yahoo is yelling "It's a virus omg!!"

Get a real virus scanner, not some pos that finds itself as a virus (seen that happen).
    Same with Kaspersky AV 2012, so let's talk about "real virus scanners" or smartass comments in threads like these...

Virus programs are notorious for false positives when it comes to programs and 3rd party apps that are not widely used because they have no frame of reference to know what it is that is trying to hook in to another program and retrieve data.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

Ok, so, Rasputyn and korvaoo settle down.

You and e.g. Ayria are both right. The problem with modern A/V Software is that they are not just scanning files for know viruses (they always did that) and for "weird behavior" (heuristics, since about 15 yrs) but that since about 1-3 years ago also have a "community" function (security is established via a score that depends on a) how many users claim the file is ok, b) how often that file is found on computers running the AV software and c) what the internal AV company statistic says about the file. Let's not even get into that internal stuff.

Point is, if you turned on the community function (Symantec e.g. calls it SONAR) and set it to a medium to high alert level files like the AO client *will* be marked, simply for the reason that they are somewhat rare out there in the wild.

So, how do you ensure that won't happen? You white-list the AO executables (patcher.exe, client.exe, anarchyonline.exe, launcher.exe or however they are called nowadays).
    My 2 cents.
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

On windows 7 I had to specify to run as an administrator to create the local database with the new .exe and .dll - just fyi

Hm,

i didn't really intend to lash out at anyone with my last post, but rereading it showed me it certainly did look that way, so i am sorry about that xD

I do know about the additional functions several virus-scanners use for a few years now, but i am certainly not really firm about what the do xD But AO files didn't give me any problems so far.

So I decided to give mishbuddy another chance today, downloaded and installed it, and this time, starting mishbuddy.exe was stopped by Ad-Aware Live Guard, identifying the file as infected with:

"Trojan.Win32.Packer.EnigmaProtector1.1X-1.3X (ep) Malware".

and suggests to quarantine or remove the file which effectively removes the program.

So here i am, paranoid as most non-professional internet-users, and not sure what to do now, since i don't know anything about this special trojan or why it is found in the mishbuddy.exe,
    but i am open to suggestions (okay, not like "remove all your security programs", but hey ).

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputyn View Post
    Hm,

i didn't really intend to lash out at anyone with my last post, but rereading it showed me it certainly did look that way, so i am sorry about that xD

I do know about the additional functions several virus-scanners use for a few years now, but i am certainly not really firm about what the do xD But AO files didn't give me any problems so far.

So I decided to give mishbuddy another chance today, downloaded and installed it, and this time, starting mishbuddy.exe was stopped by Ad-Aware Live Guard, identifying the file as infected with:

"Trojan.Win32.Packer.EnigmaProtector1.1X-1.3X (ep) Malware".

and suggests to quarantine or remove the file which effectively removes the program.

So here i am, paranoid as most non-professional internet-users, and not sure what to do now, since i don't know anything about this special trojan or why it is found in the mishbuddy.exe,
    but i am open to suggestions (okay, not like "remove all your security programs", but hey ).
    because it's a .exe that is not common most virus scanners will do that these days tell ur scanner to allow or give it an exception whatever ur scanner has. it's not a virus just unrecognized so ur scanner is paranioid. if 100 million people played ao this would not happen. (we could only dream)
    Misslocomp 220/30/70 General of RKA UNITED
    and too many alts to list

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by misslo View Post
    because it's a .exe that is not common most virus scanners will do that these days tell ur scanner to allow or give it an exception whatever ur scanner has. it's not a virus just unrecognized so ur scanner is paranioid. if 100 million people played ao this would not happen. (we could only dream)
    Actually, this usually happens around patch-day, because we put out a brand new .exe that hasn't been used by anyone.
    Regardless of how many players we have, the first bunch of players with a particular brand of virus scanner will run into those notifications.

As for 3rd party software, we don't officially support it.
    If it seems fishy, don't use it for your own safety.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post

As for 3rd party software, we don't officially support it.
    If it seems fishy, don't use it for your own safety.
    Careful with the wording.

So you accept ALL third party programs?

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Careful with the wording.

So you accept ALL third party programs?
    There's no part of "we don't officially support third party software" that leaves much room for debate. So, that said, we won't be debating that topic here or elsewhere. =P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

This one time i installed Vha.chat and next day i was robbed on the street. Clearly there must be some connection.

or AO do an own Clicksaver prog
    It´s posible to find Typos ! but u can have all of them !

Tried Xyphos' AOXPort tool today and it seems to have stopped working for me. Is this cause of the same problems?
    Rosss / Rawdeal

My AO YouTube vids

The Red Brotherhood My home and family!

Many 3rd party apps and tools will have issues or stop working entirely with changes made in the patch. Namely the client exe name was changed and the window naming has changed. Each developer will have to make changes according to how their programs work if, they were effected by the changes.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane View Post
    If anyone is feeling adventurous meantime... the exe and hook DLL are here and the full source etc here.

Just replace ClickSaver.exe and AOHook.dll with these versions... hopefully AOU will have something up soon too, but any feedback (ie, does it work for you?) welcome!
    first problems with libdb40.dll

found this file and copyed to clicksaver-folder then functioning with error-sound

cs-v300 no way

My version (and the AOU version as that's what I was using) is 4.0.14, guess it depends what variant you were using before.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

There were some other versions floating around, but we discouraged people from using them as things were added that were not considered safe. Files and background functions that didn't have anything to do with Clicksaver itself.

For any version of any program, it's good to know where it came from so you don't fall prey to someone spreading malicious code. It also allows you to be sure you have a place you can go if you have a problem. Obviously Clicksaver is having some issues still being updated for the new patch, but with the number of people working on it, and communicating with one another, we'll get there

libdb40.dll has something to do with berkeleydb, i saw some sourceforge-projects around to download without downloading direct from page

possible to find this file there, i downloaded it from some other sites i can't remember. not very trustworthy but this pc is already infected after installing the mmorpg xsyon(!) -_-'

Just download 2.35 from AOU, the replace the exe and hooking dll with the versions I linked and you should be good... Hopefully they'll get 2.40 up soon
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

and where did you post such version? can't find such and i am very tired now, falling into coma(bed)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast