Thread: A plee to stretch newbies out!

A plee to put newbies into other backyards.

This isn't a major issue.. just something I, and perhaps others have noticed.

I have noticed this simply because I re-oppened my account over the past weekend.. having closed it in late summer when DAoC came out. (Boy was that game boring after about a month).

Anyway.. I came back.. and since my old character had nothing on him and was 'gimped' (gave everything he had to his guild) I decided to re-roll him in Rubika1, his 3rd Incarnation (Xaielao ~ Fixer.)

When in the newbie zone I realized there were a LOT of newbies in there. I thought 'MAN LOT of people comming to the game if theres 15+ people here in this newbie zone!" Reminded me of release.. day of release actually. All the beta people, myself included, were there the day of release and the backyards were PACKED.

Anyway I soon realized that I was in Tir backyard 1 and so was every other newbie. This seemed kind of cool at first.. until I started talking to people who were new to the game.. gotten it for christmas and such.

My complaint is thus.. since everyone new to the game within the past month (and there are quite a few) they all see Tir as there home and rarely if EVER venture to other cities.

I talked to new people and most of them hadn't even even HEARD of West Athens.. or Borealis or anything like that. Now I don't know about you guys but back in the day (beta and first few months into release) 1/2 the population hung out in West Athens.. and the Beach in Athen Shire was THE PRIME hunting grounds for people levels 5-15!

To investigate.. I roamed all over to see if people where still hanging out at the old hot-spots I so fondly remember. The only people I found in the following areas were lvl40+ (I.E. they've been in game for long enough to remember the stuff I'm talkin bout here)..

West Athens - Empty save a few high levelers
    The Beach - Empty
    Freedom - So empty I cought the guards playing Hide & Seek.
    Bliss - Again empty accept 40+ poeple
    Junk Yard - Empty save the bots themselves
    War Accademy - Empty
    Holes Bronto Stand - Empty

Now you may argue that it's because there just aren't any people in the game anymore.. but that's BS.. there are roughly as many now as there were 4 months ago. Go to the wompa's in Old Athens.. as crowded as ever lol.

It's because all the newbies start in Tir.. and for some reason have no desire to explore. So FUNCOM I implore you to spread them out a little. I'm saddened that my old stomping grounds are baren of life now.

How many of you remember the crowds in West Athens forming groups bye the Omni Sign? Or training V-bulls into the guards in Freedom? Or chatting it up with Sun Tzu at the War Accademy?

Xaielao's 3rd re-incarnation is SICK of hunting in Greater Tir County! I try to convince friends to come exploring with me but they are to busy leveling and becoming l33t. Well not all of them but since they all started in Tir Backyard One they've not experienced the adrenaline of pulling 3 Buzz's and a Jbot at the JunkYard.. or having there jaw drop the first time a Red Ion storm passes over West Athens.. or seen the SPECTACULAR few from atop a building in Bliss. They figure why explore and see new things when they have there Bot Mountains and there Temple

I here and now ENCURAGE anyone who's joined this game in the last 2 months to go EXPLORING for once! That's one of the biggest thrills in this game.. it's so damn HUGE there are some amazing sights to see! Heck even in Greater Tir County (or Tir County Expanse what ever it's called now).

I also emplore Funcom to put newbies into West Athens and other zones.. some overflow rules or something. For ever 3rd newbie that enters Tir Backyard One put 2 others in West Athens Backyard one.. or Old Athens backyard one.
    Last edited by Fion; Jan 10th, 2002 at 20:35:48.
    http://community.anarchy-online.com/...1/name/xaielao
    "Yea, I've got your information.. you got my money?"
    Proud member of 3305 Local
    A non-GA Fixer, and pround of it!

Fergus ~ 27 Soldier (after wipe) ~ Test
    "No escaping pain! You belong to me.." Megadeath-Skin o' my Teeth

Fion ~ 25 Opi MA (after wipe) ~ Test
    "Woh look at that MOB! Think I can take it? *SMACK* OUCH!"

Nice subject.... *visions of long, lanky, floppy newbies stumbling around like boneless chickens*

Theanna

I remember the days where people used to say:

"Where are you?"

"The Omni-Sign"

"Where are we planning to hunt?"

"Oh, the beach"

Now, nobody knows what the Omni-Sign is, and the beach is pretty much empty. For those who do not know, there is a sign just outside West Athen, saying:

"All omni scum will be dealt with"

This used to be one of the prime places to group, and go hunting on the beach, but slowly, people began to drain away. There is no longer anyone trying to group in West Athen. Its sad.
    Serofina - Currently in the process of revival after a nasty incident with some uber leets. We're still looking for her head...

Teebo - Voted the most stylish person ever to grace Rubi-ka in a recent poll, organised by himself.

Official starter of the hugely succesful Blackmarket Thread!

It's true... Now, before they changed the repartition scheme between backyards, it was very rare to have even one other player in the same backyard as you.

The current way is better because it let newcomers experience teaming and social aspect of the game from the begin. Also, when creating a new character, it's good to be able to team up in the backyard to make faster experience.

However, maybe they should spread people in several backyard, like they use one of them in each city for each side. The backyards would be a little less crowded (I remember that even neutral backyard was crowded when I started my engineer a while ago), yet there would be enough players to be able to team up, and it would spread low levels players around...
    Then even if they're too lazy to move on their own, they would be forced to do so when creating a team on the seeking team channel, for instance.

Well I hunted a lot at the beach all by my own since I came in the game a bit later.

Very nice xp and void of nay player. How sweet for leveling fast.

If ppl are so dumb to stick together like a flock of Leet, I view that as natural selection. Anyhow I pass sometime in the backyards and talk with noobies to give them some clues...

But it's not just about noobies. All 80-90 characters are now playing in Mort's factory. When they have some other options that they should consider.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Re: A plee to put newbies into other backyards.

Originally posted by Fion

It's because all the newbies start in Tir.. and for some reason have no desire to explore. So FUNCOM I implore you to spread them out a little. I'm saddened that my old stomping grounds are baren of life now.

I also emplore Funcom to put newbies into West Athens and other zones.. some overflow rules or something. For ever 3rd newbie that enters Tir Backyard One put 2 others in West Athens Backyard one.. or Old Athens backyard one.
    My character started in Athens Backyard about 8 months ago. I never visited tir till about level 15.

So to answer your question NOT all newbies start in tir

your wrong.. ALL newbies start in Tir Backyard 1

the reason you didn't is because that was BEFORE they changed it.

I'm not sure when they suddenly starting doing that.. anyone know a date when it started?

Oberon, 8 months ago you started in West Athens, but he's saying that all newbies NOW start in Tir backyard 1.

Funcom about a month or so ago, implemented that all new Clan Characters start there so they can experience the team and social aspect of the game from the start.

Exclamation ...

I remember when the NW outpost of Tir was always crowded and the team recruiting place . What happen after patch 12.8 ? Everyone go to Bot Mount outpost , Varmint / Tir border outpost , Shades South outpost , no longer a central area of gathering but everyone spread out , maybe good since you no longer need to go so far back to get a save and such , but maybe not .

And by the way FC , please update the maps soon with the new outposts .

Correct me if you feel i have said anything wrong .

Yeah I remember grouping at the NW Tir OP. I also remember hating going anywhere near it due to the extreme amount of lag that surrounded that area like the plague.

Good ol' Nodda Gregg. Wonder if anyone ever managed to kill him...

I agree, I started a char a month or so ago, and she started in Tir BY1, and it was PACKED. Thought it was strange that there were that many n00bs on in one day.

Then we figured out that everyone was starting there.

PS: I know some out-of-the-way hunting spots. Pretty decent too. I'm not telling ... do your own exploring
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

Another point to consider

Since you left, Funcom has changed mission distances. As a Newb they had me running all over the place for my missions and I was forced to explore. By level 40 I was routinely going to Stret East Bank, Clon****, the end of Varmint Woods, Galway County, etc. Suddenly, after a patch (13.0?), I was getting missions in Athen Shire. I couldn't believe it.

Now at level 68, I am running between Aegean, Varmint Woods and The Longest Road. Same as I was at level 30.

My point is that Funcom wants to delay to exploration, making the world seem a little bigger, so all the newbies in Tir have no incentive to explore because they can get misions right inside the city or just out of the gates.

Just a different perspective

*snifff....*

Oh, sorry, Fion's post made me all emotional...

Oh those were the days...

That's the AO I grew in ya know....

I still always make my "home" in West Athen... always make my apartment in the same place... Backyard 4, just by the Grid Terminal....

*sniff....*

*pulls out a hankie*

At least make it so nubis start in Tir, Old Athen and West Athen backyard 1's, thats only 1/3 of the population spread (which also fights back backyard crowding, its a pain to try and go from lvl 1-2 when 20-30 dudes are all around you killing every leet and reet) and makes the game look more realistic, since Athen stops looking like a ghost town (save for the NPC guards and shopkeepers).
    Basher Tarr, Engineer, and damn proud of it!

(really)

Unhappy

I hear ya old buddy

I have to agree that it's stupid for everyone of a certain alignment to start in the same city and even the same backyard, for crying out loud. I remember that I never ever visited Borealis until I had a character that started in Borealis Backyard 7, and I've loved Borealis ever since. If they really want us to experience teamwork and such early in the game, then they should just have the training ground for each alignment be the same one, and have the new characters exit to random backyards when they leave for the first time. (After that, they will exit to whichever one they entered from [because if they enter for a second time, than they must have entered through a backyard], or, in the case of an unexpected visit to the reclaim terminal, they will exit to whatever backyard they entered when they first exited [this is how the reclaim terminal there acts currently, ie you end up in the training ground that you first were in, and how the system is now, that would mean that it connects to the backyard that you were first in].) (I hope that that made sense.) If new characters want to converse with each other after they exit the training ground, then they could just plan to meet each other back on the training ground. I don't think it's that much of a hassle, because characters can now leave their backyards when they're only on level 2 (I really wish they would have done that for me...). Is this simply a rant? I hope that this is a viable alternative for the "everyone starts in the same backyard" system that they currently have chosen...

taddaaaaaaa.....

BUMP!!!!
    Basher Tarr, Engineer, and damn proud of it!

(really)