Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Few Newb Questions

Question Few Newb Questions

I have a lvl 16 Adventurer at the moment. I have found the how to make lots of money thread but haven't come across any of the items in it. I was just wondering what the other ways to make money are and whats the best way to get some exp. I have been doing missions but am not sure this is the best way. I am also wondering what is some decent str/sta armor I can get in missions or something for my level. Thank you.

Missions are good to learn what you are capabale in.
    Get ClickSaver to roll for the Items in the How to make Money Guide, Concrete Cushions etc.

Try to get into a team and exapand that understanding a bit.

At your level any armor you can find in missions is good.
    No need spending all your creds on armor.
    Few more lvls and you could try the Living Cyber armor quest.
    The peices lvl up to 50 with you.
    I'll try to grab the link in a few minutes...Here is Is

Edit--oh and the peices you can't get from the Party Mixer Quest can be got in the Subway if you are lucky....
    Last edited by Zaxsan; Oct 11th, 2004 at 21:13:52.
    Arctic: As someone i know said: "After A-Bomb hits advy, they just dust off the dirt and walk away."

HURJAkeeper: "the alt tabbing works if i stand on solid ground or some flat surface. if i do that in place where the ground isnt flat the grafix is drawn screwed up."

Quote Originally Posted by RedSandstone
    I have a lvl 16 Adventurer at the moment. I have found the how to make lots of money thread but haven't come across any of the items in it. I was just wondering what the other ways to make money are and whats the best way to get some exp. I have been doing missions but am not sure this is the best way. I am also wondering what is some decent str/sta armor I can get in missions or something for my level. Thank you.
    Its best to "roll" for the desirable items with a 3rd party mission reading programme called "clicksaver". it can take many rolls (individual mission requests) to get what you want, so can get pricey/frustrating

Missions are good for money and steady xp. The xp in shadowlands is way better but getting money there is trickier. Missions also gets you tokens to upgrade your token board (if sided)

I agree, dont fret too much about armour until l50ish and then blitzz/buy some missions for the best you can equip. Graft armour (ugly) or omni-pol armour (omni) are decent blitzable ones.
    'Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.'

Fhinn, TL7 Neutral Gunslinger // Countinn, TL5 Neutral Trader
    Sleekitt TL5 Clan Fixer

Shattered Dreams, of ye olde RK2 Recruitment thread

I'm not an expert but I'll give you my best 2 creds for now.

MONEY & ITEMS:

In short - YOU NEED TO USE CLICKSAVER. Download it here:

http://www.gnarf.net/clicksaver/

With this device you can search way more missions than you can manually. It will help you find those items mentioned in the making money thread and indeed most other items you'll want to use for yourself. Read the 'read me' file on downloading and work out how to use it with that guide. A few points:

- I had trouble setting it up first time, persist though, it will work.
    - Bear in mind it's a separate application which you will have to jump between upon opening up a mission terminal in the main AO window.
    - CS is temperamental, once you set the buying agent off you can't touch the mouse or interact with the GUI at all until CS comes up with something.

There is a great guide on the forums for missioning:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=265462

It deals with many aspects of missioning including the different settings for sliders on the mission terminals. Learn to use these to customise your missions. One thing though - always set money (bottom slider) to 100%. Exp rewards from missions are simply put - lame.

Also, don't be afraid to use the trade channels and trading forums. I'm still learning the culture here and will have to hand that advice over to more experienced guys. But I will say, if you find something with tasty stats or you know is rare - for god's sake don't vend it in some terminal. Stuff will often sell on the open market for 10 or 20 times the price you get at vending terminals.

MISSONING & EXP:

Missioning on your own isn't the fastest way to level but it is important when starting out. Missions provide controlled environments in which to learn how to use your character's abilities to their optimum. It's a shame and a waste of time later if you gain loads of levels without realising the potential of your character and profession. For this reason alone I would suggest sticking to this to get yourself familiar with things. Power levelling can follow once you know how to unleash all the tricks in your character's book.

Once you're confident with your character, try teaming up for missions. This will make things go much faster - you'll get exp faster plus the rewards will come faster due to the fact you can race through them pretty quick. There are of course much more complex dynamics at play on team missions. I for one caused myvery first mission team a few problems simply cos I didn't know how 'calms' and 'taunts' and 'aggro' worked. Don't worry, you'll pick this up and your team members should be kind enough to explain or at least forgive you when you get them all killed Main thing is to ask if you're not sure and be especially clear on what the strategy is when entering the boss rooms in missions.

Anyway, back to the point in hand - gaining fast exp. Join a team and go get yourself some hecklers in Shadowlands. This is by far the fastest way to level. You get better exp and faster in teams and hecklers provide more exp inherently anyway. In line with what I said above though - If ind this pretty mindless - it's just bash, loot, bash, loot, ding, bash, loot and so on. Depends what you want. Personally I am enjoying taking things a bit slower and learning the subtleties of things step by step. It's your call though.

Another option: Bosses (the guys with glowing, sparkly auras, surrounded by minions) also provide vastly more exp than ordinary mobs. There's a reason for this though - they are much harder to kill. Surf around the guides and learn where the different dynacamps are to be found. Go get those bosses for way more exp and much better loot (take some backpacks to stick it all in).

I'll hand over now to more experienced folk for the armour advice, corrections and additions. Hope that helped

EDIT: Don't you just hate it when others have said the same thing as you in the time it's taken you to type your post out?! lol
    Last edited by Vitalo; Oct 11th, 2004 at 21:25:52.

The way i make the majority of my money is through lewting in team missions. Most people are not lewting in missions anymore, so feel free to lewt to you hearts content. Also, in team missions it is likely that you will be running a mission well above the level you could solo, so all the lewt is worth more. you wont make mega money, but you will have a steady source of money.

Ani
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Thanks for all the great information guys!

I just have one more question for now...When should I start worrying about implants? I basically know what clusters but I'm not sure when to start getting implants done. Also do I need to mission for the clusters/implants and have them built or can I buy them or what?

Haha I played this game way back at launch and it has changed so much, but definitely for the better.

There are premade implants in the basic shops, however not all of them might be what you're looking for, some in fact make no sense at all for the profession they are designed for, so shop around. These premades go up to lvl 100? I think, and they will generally get you by just fine until you want to make your own or have the cash to make customized implants.
    Do you like metal music? Check out my music!
    Cyclophenia MySpace
    Cyclophenia Website

Quote Originally Posted by RedSandstone
    Thanks for all the great information guys!

I just have one more question for now...When should I start worrying about implants? I basically know what clusters but I'm not sure when to start getting implants done. Also do I need to mission for the clusters/implants and have them built or can I buy them or what?

Haha I played this game way back at launch and it has changed so much, but definitely for the better.
    basic premade implants ca be bought up to Ql100 in RK basic shops. I usually stic in a basic set in the mid 20s on new characters and only start really over equipping imps around L70is.
    QL125 empties can be bought in shops, above that found in missions as loot/ or reward.

this might help
    premades
    'Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.'

Fhinn, TL7 Neutral Gunslinger // Countinn, TL5 Neutral Trader
    Sleekitt TL5 Clan Fixer

Shattered Dreams, of ye olde RK2 Recruitment thread

Of course, sticking in QL 70-80 custom made implants at lvl 22-24 and go solo Abmouth is something you MUST experience sometime... but not with a first character, of course
    I like a game where a total n00b is catalogued as 'leet'!

Genesis General and HR manager.

Alentejana (MA) Elinz (NT) Fixinbabe (Fix duuuh) Rutinha (Adv)
    Ezeta (MP) Penicillin (Doc) Taradona (Trd) Daleetjoosik (Keep) Greenform (Crat) Snipinha (Agent)

Can't help much with the money - i'm always poor.

But, for implants -

Didn't bother with implants before level 25 - leveled quickly enough I figured I'd out grow them too quickly to waste money on the low level ones.

About level 25 I put on ql50 implants. About lvl 55 I put on ql100 implants. I'm still fairly new to the game, and was able to do it without too much trouble.

I'm advy also, and can't remember the exact setup I used. But, for new characters, this is the best page to check out - http://www.zanthyna.com/implant_clusters.htm

It lists all the pre-made implants offered at each profession terminal. You can buy from any profession terminal, so pick and choose from the ones offered. It is much quicker and easier then trying to assemble a custom set.
    Member of Majestic.
    Interested in joing a friendly neutral org on RK2? Send Sojon a tell, or check out our website - http://majestic.webhop.net

Social dynamics of online gaming - http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm

One note on pre-made implants, there are no profession tags on implants. You can buy them from any of the profession shops. If you don't like a pre-made setup, look at the other professions, maybe one of those is more to your liking.
    --

Hmmm... here is some generalized tricks of the trade...

Outdoor hunting and mob parts. Always loot mob parts. Yes, mob parts themselves are for the most part worthless... but they can be turned into armor and blood plasma that sells very well for whatever level you are. Chosing not to loot them is chosing to be Poor.

Outdoor hunting and Dyna Bosses. Regardless of your level, Rubi Ka and Shadowlands both have many Outdoor Bosses you can hunt... and they drop rare and uber loot a decent percentage of the time. Several of the downloadable maps for the game list the levels and locations for the bosses. Get the maps.
    Balancing Missions, Tokens, Credits, and Loot (completing missions vs. blitzing missions): Major topic...

*** Token Boards. An often overlooked way of boosting your toons abilities. Token boards 'level up' with increasing bonuses. The more tokens you collect by completing missions (instead of blitzing them) the higher you can level your board. By far the easiest way to 'farm' tokens is to roll solo missions. Now... there are several strategies on how to do this quickly.

If you are below level 25... pick a city and insure there. Since you are still low level all the missions you roll should be in and around that city... saving you time running back and forth to mission locations. Roll the easiest mission you can that still has mostly green mobs... make sure it doesn't have too many greys. You will get the hang of this within a few tries. Run the mission. Kill everything. Make sure to take at least a dozen backpacks and loot everything as well, i.e. mob loot and chest loot. Dont try to sell loot between missions. Just bag it and toss it in the bank and get fresh bags when you need to. For each green + mob you kill in the mission, your % chance of receiving a token increases. Some players wait till the get to 75% and 'finish' the mission knowing they have a reasonable chance of getting the token. Other wait till 80%, 90 %, 100%, etc. Anything below 100% and there is a risk that you won't get a token. Decided what you are comfortable with. Complete the mission and collect your token and reward. Now... important note: if you are getting close to Dinging (gaining a level)... before you run another mission, sit down and type /terminate. Yes, it kills you, and you 'lose' you xp. Edit: If you let a mob kill you, The xp is not really lost, but goes into a pool so you can regaining it later. The point in doing this is to intentionally remain at or below level 25 so that you can continue to run missions in the city without wasting a lot of time or risking the dangers of running to missions in far away places. By far and large the best and easiest cities to do this is Borialis, Newland City, and 2HO, due to their small size and easy to navigate streets.

If you are already too high in level to pull missions within a specific city... go to Borialis and pull missions to 2HO. Some prefer other cities... but they are difficult to navigate and prone to lag issues. 2HO is the hassle free way to go. Depending on your faction... chose your whompa/grid route carefully, or better yet get an fgrid. Remember to pull several missions to that location to minimize running back and forth to get more missions. Remember... the secret to token farming is to SAVE as much travel time as you can and to Complete the Easiest missions you can for a token. Of Course... you can forego looting to save a little extra time... but i wouldn't suggest it. Why keep yourself poor? Time saved by not looting is only time you will have to waste at some later time trying to make up for the credits you missed out on.

*** Blitzing and Clicksaving for Specific Loot. Ok... use clicksavor and roll some solo missions. Everyone has different preferences... I prefer the 'Find person' missions. The reason? Because when your running your butt off in a mission with a TON of mobs chasing you... all you have to do it keep hitting <tab> whenever you run into a new room. When you <tab> (or target) for a few seconds the Mob / person you are supposed to find the mission will complete and loot will drop into your inventory. Hint: when you hear the music start to play... start running for the door. This is much easier than trying to 'look' for a small item and then stop and pick it up off the floor. But remember... dependent on your abilities... you can always roll extremely hard missions or very easy missions.

*** Blitzing and Clicksavor with a Twist... Bosses!!!! Find a full team (6 people). Why? Because the more people that are on the team, the more mission rewards will drop and the more loot the boss will drop. You may have to go join a SL heckler team to get a full team, but remember you have to be saved somewhere on RK for this to work. Have fun with the team (and remember to loot those mob parts!) and when you get killed or the team takes a break, roll several missions while you rezz. Later when the team breaks up or you get bored... go SOLO the team missions you pulled. Might take 2 or 3 times before you learn what level missions you can solo. Now... on to the mission... Run to the Boss Room!!! Don't stop and try to fight any of the mobs. If you get a chance, loot some chest on the way, but don't get yourself killed. Now... Kill the Boss (and any adds of course... but there shouldn't be many of them). Stay on the elevator... so you can pop back down to safety and to heal if needed. Now the boss is dead. You get about a dozen of so items of boss loot (some of it uber or rare!)... and several mission rewards (but no token). For the time spent... this is far more profitable than running solo missions.

*** Balance: You want it all... Tokens and Profit and XP. Roll the hardest Team missions that you can Solo and still kill the boss. Kill everything. Loot everything. Rinse and Repeat.
    Develop Trade Skills or hire a Tradeskiller? Never spend IP on tradeskills without trying to triple implant it first. You should have several sets of implants for doing different things. Unless you have a twinked toon they are relatively easy to swap out. Also, remember to get tradeskill buffs and to buff your base abilities for the tricle down boost to your skills. If your toon is a tradeskiller by nature, and you can spare the IP... start training Pharmatech... the skill needed to convert parts to plasma... and other tradeskills you find that you need. If you can't spare the ip... find a tradeskiller to help you. Remember as a rule of thumb the 10% - 15% rule on tipping. And if certain types of tradeskillers are hard to find... or are damn good and friendly... remember to tip more. However, many high level players and guildmates will be more than happy to help you for free... but do the right thing and offer a tip... the gesture is defiantely appreciated, even though it is often refused.
    You can create 7 toons on each demision. Make use of it. Reserve 1 or 2 for your favorite toon types. For the next 5... use them to create 'support toons' which complement your main. Why? Another major topic:

*** Banking your loot and transfers. Ok... you got the hang of blitzing and getting tons of uber loot... but you don't want to take the time to deal with it all now because you want to continue to grid levels. Which means your bank is going to be overflowing. If you have a 2nd account, transfering items for storage is no big deal. If you don't have a 2nd account, have a guild buddy or trusted friend help you with the transfer. And remember to sort your loot (as you loot it, lol) into bags which can be easily found... i.e. weapons in a weapon bag, armor in a clothing bag, etc. If you are a hardcore gamer keep some notes near your computer or set up a spreadsheet to help you remember. Also... check into the online 'helpbot store'. It lets you (ingame) tell helpbot what you have in inventory... later you can go to a website and download it... and use it for spreadsheets, forum post, bank sells, etc.

*** Create a hard core blitzing toon. This is usually an Atrox of some sort that is easy as hell to level. Enf or Sol are popular choices... but so are fixers, agents, engis, and metas (harder but defiantly worth it because of their abilities... i.e. SPEED, EVASIONS and LOCKPICKING, SNEAKING and LOCKPICKING, HUNTING, PET HEALS and HUNTING).

*** Create a Trader Toon. Period. Suck up the pain and grind it to at least level 125. Why? Here is a hint. My main is level 208... and when I take the time to transfer stuff to my 130ish trader alt I get over TWICE as much for the stuff I sell. Get the hint? Good. Make several sets of implants to use for tradeskills. Make sure you have a triple set of Pharma tech implants for making QL 200 Blood Plasma out of Heckler Mob Parts. And be damn sure you have a triple set of the best comp lit implants you can get your trader into, as well as every buff you can get before selling. $$$ at the trader shop depends largely on your comp lit skill... in addition to the 75% (or so) bonus traders get when selling at the trader shop.

*** Considering making one of the Proffesions mentioned here your main. Should be Self Explanitory.

*** Roll a NT. Again... Suck it up and grind it when you can. NTs are by far the most powerful class in the game for hunting hecklers, etc. And when it comes to ease of solo hunting and farming creds (from ignots and mob parts)... they win hands down. With a high level NT it is only a matter of time before you have reached the 1 Billion Credit limit you can carry ingame
    Which leads me into another point... Own your own guilds. Ask, beg, bribe people to help you start guilds with your spare toons. These are known as banking guilds. You can then use the toons to store extra loot... but extra credits as well... 2 billion extra credits the last time i checked (god i hope they haven't changed that), i.e. 1 bil on the toon, 1 bil in the guild bank.
    Which leads me into my next point... By the time you have maxed out the items bank and the guild bank on that toon... you will have several high level toons, a solid rep in the game, and guess what... tons of bags of loot and tons of creds lying around to help organize, supply, and finance Building Memberships in your Now Active Guilds! Start recruiting. But remember... being a respected guild and building a respected guild takes a lot of time and effort. If you are not willing to forego your 'personal' enjoyment of the game in exchange of enjoying the 'social' aspects of the game... then you should think twice about this. If you have reached this point in the game, you are more or less by default a semi proffesional or professional gamer and actively support funcom, the community, the forums and various other fansites / websites that add value to the game. Don't abuse the privledge this provides you.
    Organize your play time. Set aside one or two days a week for toon maintence, trades, and the social aspects of the game.

When you log in turn on all the shopping channels. As you go about your day you will learn TONS about the market and market trends.

Clean out the bank(s). Remember to set aside ALL items and equipment useful to your collection of toons. For the rest of it - Sort it according to its value. This should be very easy to do if you prepacked it when you looted it and also used the 'helpbot store' feature of helpbot. Sort it as: Vendor Food - low value stuff not worth the time to transfer... so go ahead and have that toon sell it. Remember to put in your triple complit implants and to buff to get the most you can out of the transaction. Transfers to Trader - this includes ignots, mob parts (which you turn to plasma), as well as junk armor, weapons, etc that fetches a decent value. Always have your trader sell this stuff. Market loot - this includes Every Nano and disc you have found, as well as the decent (or better yet Uber!) armor and weapons you have found. Make sure you have done your homework and know what the best market prices are. Transfers to Tradeskillers - anything and everything that can be hacked, upgraded, converted, used in the creation of 'something' else. Bank this stuff for the long term. Pull reports off of the 'helpbot store' so you have a good idea what you have and what can be done with it. Trust me on This! The time will come when you make a KILLING on the shopping channels from this stuff.

Last note: Never Ever Ever Ever Sell Nanos or disc as vendor food (few exceptions - animeas). By far and large, they are the Easiest and Most Profitable items you can trade and sell on the shopping channels. Ya... you could sell an Uber item of loot for Tons (if and when you can lay your hands of it) but day in and day out selling Nanos wins hands down. Period.

Now... take the MILLIONS and MILLIONS and MILLIONS of creds you have at your disposal and go twink your toon. You should do maintenace and upgrades at least every 20 levels or so. Preferably more often, every chance you get...

Time to sign off now. This guide and its suggestions are in no way comprehensive. Do your research and check out the more comprehensive guildes and forums out there.

SPECIAL EDIT: In case you didn't know... the city of 2HO is in a Political Zone. This means that you can be engaged in PvP when you are in the area. After the release of Shadowlands this zone 'cooled' down as most players where off somewhere killing hecklers... so the level of PvP was almost non existant. However, with the release of Alien Invasions, 2HO is starting to heat up again. Beware of the gankers hiding out there... just waiting for you... lol.
    Last edited by fixerspy; May 10th, 2005 at 22:43:47. Reason: Special Note on the City of 2HO and pvp
    Join Us!
    You know you want too!
    Now Recruiting Players of All Levels and Expansions!
    Newbie & Noob & Froob Players Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by fixerspy
    before you run another mission, sit down and type /terminate. Yes, it kills you, and you 'lose' you xp. The xp is not really lost, but goes into a pool so you can regaining it later.
    I was always told that /terminate DOES make you lose the XP permanantly and does NOT go into the pool?

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCaptainGuy
    I was always told that /terminate DOES make you lose the XP permanantly and does NOT go into the pool?
    The /terminate does not put your XP into the pool, it is lost forever.

one thing i will say that may help your progression in the game. Go back and do some of the same chalenges again. For example, when i first went to the two mountains in nascent with my NT, i could solo one mobx, a few levels later, i could solo 3, last night i did 5 - so i can see the progression there.

Anyway

my #1 rule, have fun.

Ani.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Yes, fixerspy made a small mistake in a really great guide.

I think she meant 'get yourself killed' not /terminate

Well terminate works also. At lvl 24 whatever XP you lose is a drop in the ocean. And the tokens are well worth it.

Ezeta (MP) Penicillin (Doc) Taradona (Trd) Daleetjoosik (Keep) Greenform (Crat) Snipinha (Agent)

/looks over at Doctor_Fun and waves hi.

hee. didn't you mention, in a different thread, that you wanted me to explain those 'numbers' i threw out?

/glances up at the seemingly endless spew she posted above...

er... hee. let me know if you still have any questions, lol.

/grids out
    Join Us!
    You know you want too!

Damn, there goes my excuse for a date!

Quote Originally Posted by fixerspy
    Always loot mob parts. Yes, mob parts themselves are for the most part worthless... but they can be turned into armor and blood plasma that sells very well for whatever level you are. Chosing not to loot them is chosing to be Poor. .
    How do I go about doing that?

Thanks a lot for the great information!
    Last edited by RedSandstone; Oct 13th, 2004 at 20:01:59.

a little device called a bio ?something? or another... it is one of the tools that you can buy...

go to borialis fair trade (advanced store). go inside, hand a left (i think) go into the left room, go upstairs... look in the vending machines right at the top of the stairs.

the higher the level QL of the mob part that you want to convert, the higher Pharmatech skill you need.

Do Not Spend IP !!!

I'm out of game now... so just in case i got the 'labels' mixed up, don't go spending ip on your skills just yet...

find the tool. find a mob part. give it a try... look for the system generated message that will tell you if you need more skill... and implant it.

pick up the bio ?com? and shift right click on the mob part.
    Join Us!
    You know you want too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast