Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nonsense Thursday with Giseleh

Funcom employee Nonsense Thursday with Giseleh

Since I like to be completely random and unscheduled, I have decided to pick a random nonsense day when I feel like it. For those of you who want to be the "first" to post after my post, I you will have to refresh reets every day, all day because I'm not going to be predictable! Muhaha!

This week's nonsense update
    This week has been very uneventful. I wish I had more nonsense to talk about. The only thing I want to talk about today is mankinis... and that I have been rather amused by the idea of making one for AO's many atroxes. I think I might have to do that now that tsw doesn't have one anymore... I always wanted to put elephant ears and nose on a thong in AO too, however all the previous game directors have looked at me with this "you are completely nuts, the answer is no, just go away" kind of look whenever I brought it up...

So instead of writing more about nonsense events, I have decided to start telling you a nonsense story about each of our development tools in these updates. Starting with my favorite tool: Tide.

Teh Tewlz - Part I: Tide
    So, the first story will be about Tide which after 18.7 was created is called Cheetah Tide. This is our "kinda database" and world building tool. Tide is used to build playfields and add assets such as models, textures, icons and items. Lastly Tide is one of the few development tools we have that has version control (a huge applause is needed!)

So, lets start with the good things about Tide first.
    Tide doesn't always crash and once you have messed around with it until you are past the stage of "if I press that button will I break AO?" you can actually make new shiny areas for players to explore. Worldbuilding is great when Tide is happy.

Tide also has a very nice splash screen which I re-worked when our coders finally managed to get Tide to convert assets for the old engine to work in the new engine. I will attach this wonderful splash screen so that you can all enjoy it. This splash screen (and the Tide icon) is the only thing between me and a broken keyboard when Tide gives me a blue-screen in the middle of fixing something.

Tide bugs
    Aside from various crashes, memory leaks and bluescreens, Tide have had a few interesting bugs in the past.

Some of you might have noticed that when we have updated items, we have made duplicates of the items instead of updating the old version of the item. This issue was caused by Tide... It took me many years to find the cause of this issue and hand Macrosun a testcase so that he could re-produce the issue. It was related to two developers updating an item or asset is the same folder structure in different branches/datasets which caused Tide to forget the updated item or asset. So when another designer later exported the forgotten item, this item would get a new ID. This bug was fixed about a year ago, we designers now have a popup box to warn us when we export an item that has been forgotten and we also have a procedure to rescue these resources.

One of the better bugs in the past was the " for sale button" which corrupted the entire "database". Macrosun fixed it some years back and when you press it today, it doesn't break the entire game anymore. It now says " . For . Sale . this piece of real-estate approx 4 cm2, is for sale or hire. Previous owner, "exp.obj list" was not liked by the neighborhood and has been kicked out. New tenant must fit a purpose." The "for sale button" is conveniently placed next to the "info object" button which has to be pressed every time you add a new assets to ensure the newly added asset has a unique name. (How could this ever go wrong?) I think the first thing that happened when this button was fixed was that one of the artists almost jumped the gun on pressing it before a new version of Tide was deployed. The good old days.

Bad news of the week...
    That's my Tide... what's yours? ... I just had to use that quote. It has been killing me to see that commercial on TV, I want to tell them about my Tide, but I doubt that they want to know what my Tide is... At least now you know!

Good news of the week!
    I made a mankini...

Bai nubs, and remember if you troll me here, I troll you back!

- Dat Giseleh Person

Edit: For those of you who are like: wtf is a .bmp file. I will have to remind you that Tide is very old!
    Last edited by Genele; Apr 17th, 2014 at 19:48:15.

First
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

second just in casae
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Just in case of what?!
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth56 View Post
    Just in case of what?!
    Hamsters following the drowning cheeta, followed by server death?

And speaking of Legacy Systems...
    Last edited by sannz; Apr 17th, 2014 at 20:29:10.
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

So calling someone a cheetah is the new version of calling someone a h4xx0r?

Give it a minute... and let it sink in. :3
    The Union - Neutral Org.
    ... Wardencraft ... - Neutral Atrox Keeper
    ... Gizmocraft ... - Neutral Nanomage Engineer
    ... Clobbercraft ... - Neutral Atrox Martial Artist

The Company - Omni Org.
    ... Boomcraft ... - Neutral Solitus Trader
    ... Blitzcraft ... - Omni Opifex Fixer
    ... Ragecraft ... - Omni Atrox Enforcer
    ... Traumacraft ... - Omni Solitus Doctor
    ... Voodoocraft ... - Omni Nanomage Nanotechnician

More videos coming soon on YouTube: BlockAndLode

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by BlockAndLode View Post
    So calling someone a cheetah is the new version of calling someone a h4xx0r?

Give it a minute... and let it sink in. :3
    Cheetah is the name of the new engine. Hence why it's drowning in Tide... The cheetah had a rough journey when getting stuck in the Tide...
    Last edited by Genele; Apr 17th, 2014 at 20:47:19.

make maniki wearable in leet form....cause i want to be the smallest elephant on Rubika!
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    Cheetah is the name of the new engine. Hence why it's drowning in Tide... The cheetah had a rough journey when getting stuck in the Tide...
    "New engine (tm)". Trololol

If it's so easy to build playfields will we see the closed off areas of RK like the Reck opened soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    Edit: For those of you who are like: wtf is a .bmp file. I will have to remind you that Tide is very old!
    Tide might be very old, but the least you could have done to save the environment was to resave the bitmap as a png... I am disappoint

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Third page!
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    in after vhab
    Sandwiched your post!
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

*scratches out eyes to rid self of the images*
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

1st!*

* first today to reply

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

Always last!

DON'T WANT SCREENSHOT OF ATROX, kthxbye!
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Always last!

DON'T WANT SCREENSHOT OF ATROX, kthxbye!
    Mmmh tempting to give you one :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast