Thread: Support (Doc) Focused MA weapon

Support (Doc) Focused MA weapon

Ok, so here is the concept:

Many professions utilize the Martial Arts skill for weapons who are not MAs. Many of these profs have been driven away from MA for awhile now by thinks like Dreadloch and now Xan weapons with no significant increase in MA weaponry.

What I would like to see is a set of support-focused MA weapons. I am not saying that there shouldn't be new MA profession-focused weapons ... but that isn't my focus here and has been taken up separately. So my weapon suggestions below are specifically built with some things that would make a MA -less- likely to use them (yes, shock, I'm a "DD doc" proposing less damage).

======================
    Concept 1: IP Savings

... a 2-handed weapon (staff or whatnot) that raises the damage to something on the order of 425-525 (425) (lower than the new 2H Xan melee weapons ... higher than a Shen stick but overall significantly lower than -2- Shens and lower crit).

... 1800 MA skill to equip (significantly higher than the Pistol skill on the Dloch pistols, which can be equipped TL5/TL6 by twinkers, but lower than the Shens)

... Poison damage type (to match DoTs) plus a buff that changes the damage type of the Doc's fists to poison as well.

... Most of the buffs as on the Dreadloch pistols (-3 cost, 35 Nano delta, 5 heal efficiency ... none of which will OP a MA but a doc will appreciate)

... Adds the Blaze DoT tag (no SA nor Fast Attack on this weapon, it deserves the Blaze DoT ... as did Shens :/ ) ... NOTE: We probably need to get Blaze tag added to the fists weapon, too, though maybe a buff on this weapon could dynamically add it (to avoid having to have FC edit the many-years-old fist template directly).

... Max beneficial AR: 2400 (support classes won't self over this, not even most eng running transferrence, and MAs will realize this means it wasn't intended for them but still have the option to use it at lower levels)

... Speed would be 1.2/1.2

... Specials: Brawl (1301), Dimach (700)

... The IP savings comes from not using Multi-Melee to equip 2 ... but this weapon has other advantages via buffs and Blaze.

======================
    Concept 2: 1-handed PvM

... Same as the 2 handed weapon above with the following exceptions:

... This weapon would be a 1 handed weapon. I'm only proposing 1 however, since Shen stick would work just fine as a 2nd weapon.

... Damage stats would be noticeably lower than Shen but still much higher than BoB: 290-440(490)

... 1900 MA skill to equip (slightly higher than the 2H weapon ... making it harder but not impossible to hotswap)

... Multi-Melee skill: 1350 (expensive to IP but not as bad as Shen and easier for a Doc to self ... 450 more than BoB, 200 less than Shen)

======================
    Concept 3: 1-handed PvP

... Same as the 1 handed weapon above with the following exceptions:

... Damage stats would significantly lower still: 250-375(400) (see below for why)

... 2000 MA skill to equip (higher still than the non-special attack version, not impossible to hotswap but significantly harder)

... Added skills and requirements: Sneak Attack (900, same as Xan of Dusk/Dawn), Fast Attack (900, same as Xan of Dusk/Dawn) ... yep, MAs will yell about this weapon getting Fast Attack AND Sneak Attack. Fast Attack is for getting some of the damage back that we lose (which was lost to prevent an OPed Sneak Attack, notice that the Sneak on this weapon would be noticeable less than on Xan of Dusk, we get other PvP benefits like better AR and MA specials). Sneak Attack is for enabling a PVP special.

... NOTE: No Blaze DoT tag on this weapon due to the SA/FA. Which means even if you dualled this with the other 1-handed weapon I mention that you wouldn't get the Blaze DoT.

====

... Concept 1 would be a big IP savings, more appropriate buffs, Blaze DoT, equippable at lower levels than Shen (though not as low as a Doc pistol), but overall lower damage and fewer procs than a dual-wield setup.

... Concept 2 would be decent damage but less than dual Shens, require more IP (MR) than the 2-handed weapon (but alot less than Concept 3, allowing PvM-only docs to not waste the PvP IP). I see this as being dualled with a Shen at 220 in PvM setups.

... Concept 3 would be around the same damage as Concept 2 (adding in Fast Attack) but cost significantly more IP. However it would give Docs a more interesting PvP weapon option if they preferred to have Sneak over Blaze. Personally I think the fact that we're stuck with melee range when using these would mean Blaze DoT is acceptable even on this weapon, but I don't need to hear the gripes.

PS. As with any weapon concepts, these will create controversy. Flame-retardant replies appreciated.
    Last edited by Doctorhyde; Mar 20th, 2009 at 17:39:06.

I'm posting this for a reason: I'm still tempted, this long after, to switch to pistols. Why? Buffs, Blaze DoT, and because being non-ranged continues to be a pain in the butt when it comes to team/raid content (its fine for soloing).

But ...

I don't WANNA! I want options

Docs get the same base IP in MA and Shotgun (which needs some new options for docs, too) as we get in MA. We've used MA for as long as Docs exist. We're getting more MA support in our symbs so we're obviously still intended to use it. So darn it ... give us a little weapon love to equal the now-aging pistol love.

all 3 types seem to be balanced and offers MA weapon choices at lower lvls as well as offers other profs MA supported weapons aside from shens and BoB's

Bump for alternatives and not cookie cutter

I agree with the need for new, and equaly plausable weapons for docs however, with a req of 1900 MA being a nanomage doc makes me very, very worried that I probably will never get that. unless Doc's fianly get weapon skills buffs that someone sugegsted last for 10 or so seconds. allowing weapon equiping and not nerfing AR ..

What I like about this suggestion is the fact that in most fantasy games you always see most of the spellcasters use a staff. This kinda ties it in to the whole archetype, but in a damage setting that's really cool

All 3 weapons seem really balanced, as well

Now, can everyone else use these or are they doctor only?

(Edit) Just looked at your third weapon more closely. Fast Attack could actually be more damage than you're letting on. Since Traders and MAs can get quite a bit of +crit (and MAs especially +damage), and since Shades could also be able to use this and finally get Backstab with a Martial Arts weapon - even tho they kinda lose Piercing Mastery, so I suppose it's not the greatest - I'd see this used a lot in both PVM and PVP.
    Last edited by Saetos; Mar 23rd, 2009 at 13:51:38.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

How about an improved BoB? (since its still the sexiest weapon ingame)
    Acanthus - Level 220/22 Shade (teh 'main')
    Toketlen - Level 213/14 Crat (teh 'alt')
    Neuralrust - Level 197/12 MA Doctor
    And a froob army I refuse to list.

Quote Originally Posted by DieWith View Post
    How about an improved BoB? (since its still the sexiest weapon ingame)
    I completely avoided talking about the name or mesh of these concept weapons. I don't care one way or the other BoB mesh (which wasn't really a mesh) would be fine. Based on some other MA-capable weapon would be fine. Something completely new would be fine.

We've gone around wearing Shens long enough that I think we've proved we'll wear whatever works, looks disregarded.

A related thread ... but not entirely the same.