Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: April 2012

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update: April 2012

Releasing the engine video generated a lot of interest for us from fans and game portals around the world, and for this we're very happy. The host of Wayback Wednesday, Rob Lashley, asked us to do a live streaming show and we gladly jumped at this chance! We played together and talked about AO for three hours. So many of you showed up in game to support us, and with your help we managed to both kill Aztur and twink on the Stygian Desolator! The video clip is available on MMORPG.com.

Game Improvements
    In April, we revisited some of the older content to improve the experience based on your feedback!

First, the monsters in the Mantis Hive and Smuggler's Den dungeon have been particularly slow to wait for, and this was not ideal since the place is now hosting some of the elite agency missions. When doing maintenance in the dungon making these monsters reappear more frequently, we accidentally aggravated the Mantees, and they begun digging holes to escape our tough workers! If you don't mind getting a little dirty, you may be able to utilize these tunnels as shortcuts.

Second, our builders went into Arid Rift and banned all the Regeneration Conduits. As an anti-train mechanic, we were never a fan of these towers, and we believe you guys will enjoy this place much more without these snares. In addition most aliens in the area will lose interest in you quickly. Please train responsibly!

The New Player Experience
    In May we're shipping the New Player Experience off to our internal QA Department, and our testers and designers will be working side by side to iron out potential issues and making sure it's fun to play!

We really like the concept of a shuttle port, but we feel it's important that the newbie area is a part of Rubi-Ka not to alienate new players from the rest of the world. So I'm proud to present Arete Landing, a shuttle port built and run by the Interstellar Confederation of Corporations. It's located in Andromeda, in very close proximity to the ICC Headquarter, and choosing this location enabled us to completely rebuild ICC, as we feel it is a very important hub that should look more impressive than it currently does.

We managed to drain out the entire lake of Andromeda in the process, and large parts of this lush zone is beginning to dry up now, leaving dunes of sand and salt. A barren land, although beautiful in it's own way.

I'm expecting this to be available on Test Live after the next Live update has been released.

The Systems Changes
    After doing some internal testing, we decided to disable Damage Modifiers from affecting Damage Over Time-Nanos for now, although we believe it's a really good way for caster professions to be able to increase their damage output in the future, so it's our intention to bring this feature in at a later stage.

In May we're going in depth on Research Procs, Perk Actions and Special Attacks, and I feel there is things we can do here to improve accessibility and balance, without removing complexity!

The Engine & Client
    In April, work begun towards creating a stand alone version of our client housing the new Dreamworld engine. This is going well, and we're continuing to work on this goal in May.

We will stop supporting the small (no expansions) AO Client in the near future, as this is very time consuming for the team to maintain, time we would rather spend on producing the new engine. If you're playing on our small client, you will be notified on how to proceed in order to upgrade to our full client - Note that this will not require you to change or upgrade your account, only download a new client.

The Next Update
    We are very happy to announce that the Global Market Interface is available for beta testing in the next Test Live version. The player shops will be disabled in this version, but you will be able to collect all your your items and credits though your shop.

In addition, many code improvements and a complete overhaul of the Launcher Experience is included in this version, so we will allow it some more time on the test dimension before we release it into the wild.

You are more than welcome to try it out! If you already have the Test Live Client installed, you will need to re-duplicate the client again before you attempt to patch up! We've had some technical issues with the current Test Live version, and we decided to completely skip over one patch in order to get this version out as soon as we could. Don't forget to copy your Prefs folder in order to keep your current GUI settings.

Preliminary Update Notes are available in the Test Live Announcements section on the forums, and you'll be able to see all the detailed changes going into version 18.5.0! Live release date to be announced.

Thank you for resisting the urge to kill Mr Lashley aka. Grakulen during our live streaming show! You proved to everyone how great of a community you are, and seeing us flagged in Temple of Three Winds must have really been making your q-finger itch (:

Kindly,
    Lindelu

Ich möchte mich außerdem dafür entschuldigen, keine deutsche Übersetzung bieten zu können. Waldgeist ist im wohlverdienten Urlaub, und ich hatte keine Gelegenheit, ihm diesen Brief rechtzeitig zukommen zu lassen.

Last edited by lindelu; May 1st, 2012 at 21:34:44. Reason: I wrote Hezak instead of Aztur, doh
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Funcom employee

w00t.
    Henry "Michizure" Senger
    Lead Designer

Awsome, just 1 day off, no big deal
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Hi Lindelu!
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐
    FFXIV: Giit Paradisian - 50 CNJ/White Mage - Hyperion server

First Page for the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by Animaly View Post
    First Page for the first time!
    Same

Great dev. update... Exciting days lies ahead.

Looking forward to see what comes.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

I can only find the gfx engi preview video here:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/10/feature/6234

If there is any other video where you run around in IS could you link that?
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Nice update lol, good job at setting an expectation (update out later in the week) and exceeding it...now that's what I'm talking about

You guys cut out 2 of my complaints with the smug den update and the removal of those snares from arid. Great great job there. Can you take a look at the DOJA drop rate in penumbra/inferno too?

In all seriousness, I have faith in you Lindelu Nice to see some aggravating issues being taken care of a bit at a time. From my personal perspective, you've done a great job thus far in your role.. looking forward to good new things to come.

---------------------------

Going to copy/paste something I posted in the delay thread as it is now better placed here.

Lindelu,

I have a couple questions that have been a point of discussion amongst me and some of my friends/associates. They are closely related though slightly different topics.

1. The new GMS is coming Soon, we know and tbh it sounds like a great thing that we've all been asking for. People will be able to buy/sell to other players, even without an org and playershops are being disabled. When the i-cities came out, the reasoning behind their reduced upkeep (I pay about 47m monthly for my i-city and about 98m monthly for my outdoor.. i-city has a better layout btw) was the fact that an i-city didn't have the luxury of player shops. With that difference changing (playershops being disabled), has any thought been put into reducing the upkeep on outdoor cities to make them in sync with instanced cities with the rollout of the new and improved GMS?

2. You've said that a server merge is coming at some point (whenver... date doesn't matter.. but it'll eventually happen) and with that, outdoor cities will be removed completely. As an org President that currently has an outdoor city and an instanced city I have to tell you that when the new GMS comes out, we really have no need for the outdoor city at all. My org started with an i-city and ONLY got the outdoor one so our members could sell via the playershop and as a rigged sorta org bank for some items. Has any thought been put into allowing an Org President (only) the ability, right now, to dismantle their cities and get their buildings back then make the choice to go to an i-city instead? If we (Org President) could get some sort of nodrop item (upon the explosion of the city) that could be traded in to buy a city (or gives us that value in creds when right clicked) that would be even better. Seems to me that setting something like this up would save a lot of headaches since we could transition things on our own timetable sooner rather than a mad rush later.
    Last edited by Traderjill; May 1st, 2012 at 17:21:23.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Come this October I will celebrate 10 years on Rubi-ka. I wonder if I will be celebrating my anniversary along with the new engine.
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Good update, thumbs up.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Many interesting bits of info here
    No more small client: Yay! Less complexity when installing the game (and/or upgrading to a paid subscription) is always nice.
    New startup area: Can't wait to test this. Really interesting stuff!

And I definitely like the RP approach to explaining game changes. Keep up the good work!
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    [prose] we managed to both kill Hezak and twink on the Stygian Desolator!
    Hezak in totw yeah right.

What about the lag?
    "The Tessargi Oppressor" 220/30 RK1 - P E

Lazy: down with Tessargi The Oppressor! he is literally a Frankensteinian monster made from combining Gadaffi Sadam Hitler Stalin and George Bush into one powerhungry oppressor of the free world.

Dynamic changes to Rubi-ka... am I dreaming? Moar pls!

But before we start re-working perks and procs, how about finishing some of the other re-workings that you have begun or at least mentioned?

It sounds like real progress is being made again and it makes me excited.

o.0 finaly
    Shade lover (trox all the way :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Tessargi View Post
    Hezak in totw yeah right.
    Pretty sure she meant Aztur You know, I go into IS almost every week.. sometimes more than once a week and kill Hezak and usually I still mix up Aztur/Hezak's names when speaking about those dungeons, lol.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Was not the "twink" level 50? Stygian? Hardcore
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Yay ! Great changes ! And update almost on time, after all.

*hugs lindelu and the team

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    New startup area: Can't wait to test this. Really interesting stuff!
    I think it is not the whole starter area, but rather the "intro" (selecting your breed, gender etc) since lindelu said "launcher experience". I'm still hyped about this though ! And if it actually is the starter area, then, even better.

Btw what's the last bit written in German about Waldgeist ?
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by nanoforcer View Post
    I can only find the gfx engi preview video here:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/10/feature/6234

If there is any other video where you run around in IS could you link that?
    that should get an adult only rating for 0:54
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐
    FFXIV: Giit Paradisian - 50 CNJ/White Mage - Hyperion server

Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast