Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: No valid rendering device...

winXP with all latest updates

GF6600GT driver 1xx.xxx
    Default GUI

was same trouble in first start after patching.
    But i just select "Primary Display Driver - Direct3D T&L HAL". OK. OK.
    Restart launcher and login w/o problem
    The Clan Messiah statement
    You hit Nirvelle with nanobots for 7110365 points of radiation damage.
    Alternity: I never initiated a serious dialog

"... who are you, then?"
    "I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good" (c) Goethe

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\| ||\____
    |.............Vodka-Vodka..........| ||','''|'''''''\____,
    |_______..... _________________| ||__|'__|_____||<
    '''''(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''**|(@)(@)******| (@)*

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    We cant reproduce this at all still so a couple of other questions to maybe find a common thread

Are you using custom GUI files?
    What operating system are you using?

I think whatever file you store the gfx prefs in just got borked during patching, cause i got asked this, went in the the settings, set everything as i wanted it, and its been fine since....

/Theo
    Theo
    -- Unit Leader of Nocturnal Fear --
    -- Long term friend of The Velvet Glove --

maybe it's me but i find it somewhat comical that the standard response to many of these newly introduced bugs is "we are unable to reproduce this error".

do you mean to tell me that your test environment does not include an array of test machines with multiple hardware/software configurations??

i use a relatively "common" system. it is a laptop with win xp pro and an ati mobility x300 gpu. i do not have a custom gui. i logged into test and got the same error after patching. all i did was change the rendering device from Direct 3D HAL to Direct 3D Hardware Transform and Lightning (if i remember correctly) and it worked.

basically, imho i do not think it has anything to do with the gfx card/driver, the hardware, the operating system. etc. i think your patcher reset (or changed) the rendering device to another setting (HAL). have you looked at this possibility??
    Last edited by space4rent; Aug 8th, 2007 at 15:39:27.

Quote Originally Posted by space4rent View Post
    maybe it's me but i find it somewhat comical that the standard response to many of these newly introduced bugs is "we are unable to reproduce this error".

do you mean to tell me that your test environment does not include an array of test machines with multiple hardware/software configurations??

i use a relatively "common" system. it is a laptop with win xp pro and an ati mobility x300 gpu. i do not have a custom gui. i logged into test and got the same error after patching. all i did was change the rendering device from Direct 3D HAL to Direct 3D Hardware Transform and Lightning (if i remember correctly) and it worked.

basically, imho i do not think it has anything to do with the gfx card/driver, the hardware, the operating system. etc. i think your patcher reset (or changed) the rendering device to another setting (HAL). have you looked at this possibility??
    but thats not what is being reported as the error.

The issue people were explaining here is that after doing that (everyone will have to set the option they want the first time they log in) that it wasn't being saved for subsequent log-ins, and as yet we still haven't been able to reproduce any instance where that happens.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

The issue people were explaining here is that after doing that (everyone will have to set the option they want the first time they log in) that it wasn't being saved for subsequent log-ins, and as yet we still haven't been able to reproduce any instance where that happens.
    sorry i guess my point was that, to me at least, it doesn't seem that adequate testing (with multiple configurations) occurred prior to releasing the patcher. and i'm not sure how a custom gui, operating system or graphics card model would have anything to do the saving the rendering device in the launcher configuration itself.

Have had same issues until I checked back in the dovetech custom gui thread; if you are using the dovetech skin try this fix.
    Maopic 2202670
    Mypetrocks 2202370
    Drmao 2202467
    Sirmao 1741242
    General of Asgard

ignore me, just did some reading :P
    Theo
    -- Unit Leader of Nocturnal Fear --
    -- Long term friend of The Velvet Glove --

Woot, it works if you install the new GUI Fix. Tried now and works fine!

Even if you are using the "standar-gui" but still have installed a notum gui earlier and overwrited some files, you need to use the update

Thanks Maopic!
    Meep.

Since there is the 48 hours downtime i just re-installed the game and used the AODuplicator.exe and everything was fine.. not sure what i did wrong i had deleted my test server folder then placed the 17.4 clean gui into my live folder and that didn't work but reinstalling did so im good now.
    I agree

I just downloaded 2 files and the Settings dialog started to remember things!
    Meep.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234