Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: /rp command

Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    Some people hate RPers with a passion and like to disrupt them, so having them pvp flagged makes sense to some, i guess...
    That's what I figured was the root cause of the suggestion. It's this level of RP hate that has made a great many RPers flee to the shadows of their org chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebius View Post
    Silence m8! The beast is sleeping, do not wake her and incur her wrath.
    Lyzor 220 Opi - PVP Doc
    Current
    Wishlist

patchnotes, sticky post this forum =)
    Lyzor 220 Opi - PVP Doc
    Current
    Wishlist

I LOVE this idea. Thank you so very much. You can bet that I intend to have it on almost 24/7 on Bubba. Call me hardcore, but my nerdiness can accept no substitute.

I will use whatever command it is, as an advertisement to help the RP community. I can guarantee people will ask questions, and I will have a prepared statement ready and waiting to those who show legitimate interest.

Thank you!
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

whats wrong with /rp while pvp? what if you are pvpin that you are helping omnitech eradicate the clan skum?

Quote Originally Posted by SykChyld View Post
    whats wrong with /rp while pvp? what if you are pvpin that you are helping omnitech eradicate the clan skum?
    or the other way around =D
    Lyzor 220 Opi - PVP Doc
    Current
    Wishlist

Funny thing is, the "flag account" for roleplaying option on your accounts main page, still doesn't work...

is this the replacement feature?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKali View Post
    Very very glad it does not restrict PvP. Quite frankly I have no idea where the misconception that PvP, PvM/E and RP are mutualy exclusive came from and makes little sense to me (Have an RP nemesis who murdered your father? Go blow his head off!). As I understand from Sil's response, the RP flag is completely independent of any other type of flag which means you can go about PvP flagging up and ganking, or not flagging up and not being ganked as normal. An RP flag won't make any difference. Someone sticks on an RP flag as an excuse to gank at an RP event, well that RP flag won't stop them from being ganked right back if they have that PvP flag they need...

PvP can be a part of RP and it gets on my nerves when the elitists of both sides say they should not be allowed to mix.
    Agreed. I think all aspects of AO can be RP'ed. Some RPers may choose to stay away from pvp by what department *cough*Omni-Trans*cough* they are in, but that is not to say that for instance AF would not go to the defense of an OT mining facility being attacked while still staying in-character. An RPer just isn't likely to fall into leet-speak to smack-talk the enemy, like some pvpers do. If RP ever gets reduced to only talking and the "big event" is a backyard BBQ where we pretend to drink beer, count me out.

Unless I misunderstood, this is basically just a way to mark someone as being in-character and has nothing to do with whether they can be attacked in certain areas like pvp flags do. Since I'm ooc atm, I'll agree with Bubba too and say this could very well give a boost to the RP community.
    Bastian "Feyde" Wolfgang ((Rimor))
    Roleplaying Profile of Bastian "Feyde" Wolfgang
    The story continues: "Live by the Sword..."

suggested addition

I think the /rp command should have an effect like /list or be integrated with list. Part of the problem of RPing is that people don't know where to find people to RP with, and not everybody knows about or uses the third party rp bots on either server. What if when you use the /rp command to get the rp flag you are also put on a /list like function that other people who are RP flagged can see. This would allow people to more easily find RPers, and would allow people to simply flag themselves and be available for random role-play.
    Angel "Berael" Wolf - 220/22 Solitus Engineer RP Profile
    Advisor of Wolf Brigade, A Proud Neutral Organization

AOwiki - A chance to show what you know.
    Hunting Grounds Neutral Neck Items Tradeskill Pricing v3.0 Roleplaying Organizations v2.0 (RK1)

"The world will not evolve past its current state of crisis by using the same thinking that created the situation" - Albert Einstein
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Berael View Post
    I think the /rp command should have an effect like /list or be integrated with list. What if when you use the /rp command to get the rp flag you are also put on a /list like function that other people who are RP flagged can see. This would allow people to more easily find RPers, and would allow people to simply flag themselves and be available for random role-play.
    I like it! Give that girl a gold star. Unless she's a Clanner, and then forget I said that.
    Bastian "Feyde" Wolfgang ((Rimor))
    Roleplaying Profile of Bastian "Feyde" Wolfgang
    The story continues: "Live by the Sword..."

I like the idea of implementing an RP command, though the role-playing community of AO is fairly tight-knit so that most people know who's a role-player. However, this will probably help people new to the game get involved with that aspect.

As far as misuse of the tag goes, it's almost certainly going to happen. However, I'd imagine that if those interested in accurate use of the /rp command treat everyone with the tag as role-playing, it will at discourage some people from throwing it on just for the effect. If someone's not at all interested in role-playing, there's only so much someone can take of "And how do you feel about Tarkhan Zora?"
    Ferrex "Sanqq" Baldwin
    General
    Department of Entertainment
    ~Society of Salvation~

Quote Originally Posted by Sanqq View Post
    However, I'd imagine that if those interested in accurate use of the /rp command treat everyone with the tag as role-playing, it will at discourage some people from throwing it on just for the effect. If someone's not at all interested in role-playing, there's only so much someone can take of "And how do you feel about Tarkhan Zora?"

Im sure no roleplayers would contact others and tell them to spam that person with rp talk as well would they?

How can people hate RP.... Dont they realise they are playing a Roleplaying GAme themself. That the world, all crappy items are out there are for the Rp and story.

RP online or on paper is same thing, u just get it visuall in the game, and if RP haters are playing RP game tis wrong. Not logical

Then they should go back to Counter strike or somehting.

This is a great idea. RP FTW!
    Warcollapse 220/17/67 Opifex Doctor - Setup
    Proud Member of Valhall Guardians

I blame canada!

I personally think the novelty of the RP flag for non-rpers will wear off after a couple weeks of awkwardness with serious rpers trying to RP with them. It would be kinda like a dog humping your leg: while you can bat the dog away, it doesn't make it any less awkward.
    Angel "Berael" Wolf - 220/22 Solitus Engineer RP Profile
    Advisor of Wolf Brigade, A Proud Neutral Organization

AOwiki - A chance to show what you know.
    Hunting Grounds Neutral Neck Items Tradeskill Pricing v3.0 Roleplaying Organizations v2.0 (RK1)

"The world will not evolve past its current state of crisis by using the same thinking that created the situation" - Albert Einstein
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by lyzor View Post
    That was kinda dumb to suggest. Why would you want that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    Some people hate RPers with a passion and like to disrupt them, so having them pvp flagged makes sense to some, i guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    *cries*
    Quote Originally Posted by lyzor View Post
    That's what I figured was the root cause of the suggestion. It's this level of RP hate that has made a great many RPers flee to the shadows of their org chat.

My only issue with RP as follows.
    1) Some grey/horribly equipped/uninfomed idiot bestows a title amongst themselves and acts superior in their "Authority" or such and such.

Such a person should be able to back this statement up or get belted into next week.

Also RP Violence could be more dynamic.
    I am the baron.

Lol, seriously, who cares .... it has absolultely no effect on gameplay ... let the RPers 'flag' for RPing .... I don't cry when PVP idiots 'flag up' for PVP in Borealis, so why should anyone care if they give RPer's the same functionality.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post

My only issue with RP as follows.
    1) Some grey/horribly equipped/uninfomed idiot bestows a title amongst themselves and acts superior in their "Authority" or such and such.

Such a person should be able to back this statement up or get belted into next week.

Also RP Violence could be more dynamic.
    Yah...godmoding is hated by all, rpers and powergamers alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Lol, seriously, who cares .... it has absolultely no effect on gameplay ... let the RPers 'flag' for RPing .... I don't cry when PVP idiots 'flag up' for PVP in Borealis, so why should anyone care if they give RPer's the same functionality.
    I wish there was an actual pvp flag as in, interested in dueling. I hate being asked several hundred times on one of my alts if I want to duel.
    Pvptitlefarmer: Want to duel?
    Me: No thanks. I'm actually trying to fit on some new armor *points at the fact he's wielding pillows*...Plus you are a level 55 adventurer...and this character is a 46 Soldier.
    Pvptitlefarmer: Please?
    Me: No thank you.
    Pvptitlefarmer does the chicken dance while clucking in circles around Soldier.
    Me: *palmfaces*
    Last edited by Angellis; Apr 11th, 2008 at 02:36:46.
    Quote Originally Posted by howlin
    On a bright side, I just logged my shade today to put a new dress on
    Vendor 'o Spirits
    Give shades

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKali View Post
    Very very glad it does not restrict PvP. Quite frankly I have no idea where the misconception that PvP, PvM/E and RP are mutualy exclusive came from and makes little sense to me (Have an RP nemesis who murdered your father? Go blow his head off!). As I understand from Sil's response, the RP flag is completely independent of any other type of flag which means you can go about PvP flagging up and ganking, or not flagging up and not being ganked as normal. An RP flag won't make any difference. Someone sticks on an RP flag as an excuse to gank at an RP event, well that RP flag won't stop them from being ganked right back if they have that PvP flag they need...

PvP can be a part of RP and it gets on my nerves when the elitists of both sides say they should not be allowed to mix.
    QFT This has been my message since I started.. I once considered myself an "RPer" because to me that meant "PVPer" I didn't until much later begin to see this stupid separation of "Story only RPers" and "People who only fight" eg, RPers and PVPers.. It is why I have gone with the title "I am a gamer" lately.. I will RP, PVP or just about anything else to have fun while playing a game.

I hope MAYBE this addition to the game might eventually serve to remind the people who do like RP that it still exists.. and Hopefully with all the changes to PVP some might ACTUALLY do both!

Here's to hoping tho..

I do suggest a conditional variable to be added to this title.

Event Participation status for live server events:

People who are wearing the /rp tag get RP notices directly from the ARK team prior to an event happening with some kind of "Pre-lude" type details.. nothing to exact but enough to get a buzz going.. Then when the "Uber Invasion" or what ever RP event occurs anyone NOT flagged /rp cannot participate.

What this will prevent: People crying about major changes such as Borealis incident. Eg logging off a Major almost month long RP event taking place and people logging back on only to be ganked by a sided mob that wasn't there before. It will also stop people from whinning about getting ganked in OA during a DB/Alien etc Raid. It will also allow lowbies to watch and report during these events without having to die to monsters greater to them unless they want to participate.. All of these are potentially great changes for the game if you only but attach them to "THIS" "/rp" function..

Also, please make all people flagged /rp viewable on an "ARK LIST" to know who they can contact from a side to spread buzz..

Thank you sil for adding this in but please take these few small tidbits of suggestions to heart. You will thank me later.

@ Bolen et al.

They aren't exclusive on one another... heck last event I was included in wound up having a pvper help save me. The trouble however is the mass of the population that have no clue this is a mmoRPg. It will be those people (by default of not knowing RP, thusly places them in the general player/ power player mode depending if they play the game as if it were an arcade/racer or as a casual game*) that end up going "OMG I get special title if I /rp thats cool!"

Those people will throw a wrench in the mix the same way if one were to find out they get a cool title on their name if they attack a guard then walk around Borealis (though I doubt the person gaining +1 solo kill wold object)...

But, based on the information given thus far about the feature I will simply petition the individuals for abusing game mechanics if they reply "omg n00b wtf r u talkin abot lol" when I ask in vicinity if they know of a good place to grab a bite to eat in Hope.

I only hope that this is somewhat respected as the social tab. I think we can all say we saw not as many trox things as we expected.
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast