Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: /rp command

Quote Originally Posted by Aratink View Post
    The majority of the players in this game RP whether they admit it or not.
    LIEZ!!!1 I R PVP>U!!1!

Ara's right of course

There was one time I ran into one of those LTCs, whom I'd never seen before, so I was curious and started chatting. It happened that I was on one of my pvp twinks, and when he started asking me what I did, I could actually answer in character perfectly honestly: I was part of the omni security forces, and I guard mines and retake non-omni ones (pretty much all my twink ever does). I didn't have to do any sort of lame ad hoc rationalisations, I just described how I play from the perspective of being in the game world. Being the main activity of my toon whenever it's logged in, that was a great "day job" to fill my character's background, something I doubt any RPers actually have since they're all drama and adventure.

And I didn't have to seek out RPers whose idea of RP is sitting on the floor around a table in Newland chatting and doing nothing much at all, I just play the game. Eventually, the LTC got pretty boring because all he ever did was sit on the floor around a table in Newland chatting and doing nothing much at all, so that was that.

RP is what you make it out to be, and the "hardcore" roleplayers who decide who is RPer than thou are no better than the "hardcore" PVPers who decide they're better than everyone. But trying to stay in character is not a hassle I enjoy, I'd rather go bash clanners and their mines
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

The majority of the players in this game RP whether they admit it or not. If you're a political leader in the NW/tara, ect aspect of your faction, and you're not a politician, or military leader IRL, then guess what you're role playing.

Pretty much anyone with any longevity in this game is neck deep in RP whether they recognize it or not. The only people who can truly say they don't RP, are those who power level to 220 and then quit, because they "beat the game."

You don't have to take part in the script written FC storyline to be an RPer. Most of the "rpers" in this game are those of us who create the player inspired and created storylines that change daily and all of us interact with.

In a game where other players are attackable, and the basic story line includes war, AND most importantly, part of your daily outfit includes some sort of weapon, pvp will be a part of the ROLE that you PLAY .
    <3 Ara, you nailed it.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    RP is what you make it out to be, and the "hardcore" roleplayers who decide who is RPer than thou are no better than the "hardcore" PVPers who decide they're better than everyone. But trying to stay in character is not a hassle I enjoy, I'd rather go bash clanners and their mines
    I consider myself a hardcore RP'r. Not for the same reasons you describe, but there are some whom are very much like that. Truth be told, elitism isn't just a 'you' or 'them' or 'me' thing. As a person who engages in many aspects of this game, I find elitism for one thing or another under every rock, in every bush, and falling out of every tree i've come across. Some of it real, and some of it imagined.

You just simply cannot point the finger at one person or one group, because then you would be engaging at the same kind of elitism that you would be pointing out.

And if anyone would like a silly reference, check this out.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Imho, rp is a form of acting. As such, you have your Jet Li ppl and you have your Christopher Walken ppl... meaning some ppl act with intense action, and some ppl act more the intellectual/diabolical types. There's room for both and even a combination of the two. How much of it you do, or how involved you get with it is entirely up to you.

What I would not classify as rp is the person who says, "i pvm 4 axp and 200k xp pwnage in SL per kill, then pvp wit org mate 4 pvp title b4 bs twinkage and b4 teh alt switch." Multiple problems with this in a RP aspect including: pvm, pvp, title farming, xp, axp, leetspeak and alts only exist in game terms not RP terms. It would be like me saying in real life "I pwned this n00b at work 2day 4 20k xp, looted him, then sped off in stolen car. I got to lvl 48 in car driving! Then the cops pwned me, so I switched 2 my cop alt so I could keep playing." The general guideline is that if it wouldn't make sense irl, then it wouldn't make sense in rp (not including the futuristic/sci-fi aspect of things).
    Bastian "Feyde" Wolfgang ((Rimor))
    Roleplaying Profile of Bastian "Feyde" Wolfgang
    The story continues: "Live by the Sword..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    I consider myself a hardcore RP'r. Not for the same reasons you describe, but there are some whom are very much like that. Truth be told, elitism isn't just a 'you' or 'them' or 'me' thing. As a person who engages in many aspects of this game, I find elitism for one thing or another under every rock, in every bush, and falling out of every tree i've come across. Some of it real, and some of it imagined.
    Yes, that's why I put it in inverted commas. I don't care for the people who are so ridiculously insecure in a (zomg) computer game that the only way they can survive is via a bunker mentality. And it applies to groups of players from all aspects (pvp/pvm/rp) of the game, though it's not so easy for one of the bunker types to recognise their own faults when the faults of others keep obscuring their vision
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

The majority of the players in this game RP whether they admit it or not. If you're a political leader in the NW/tara, ect aspect of your faction, and you're not a politician, or military leader IRL, then guess what you're role playing.

Pretty much anyone with any longevity in this game is neck deep in RP whether they recognize it or not. The only people who can truly say they don't RP, are those who power level to 220 and then quit, because they "beat the game."

You don't have to take part in the script written FC storyline to be an RPer. Most of the "rpers" in this game are those of us who create the player inspired and created storylines that change daily and all of us interact with.

In a game where other players are attackable, and the basic story line includes war, AND most importantly, part of your daily outfit includes some sort of weapon, pvp will be a part of the ROLE that you PLAY .
    El bingo! You hit that nail right hard and true there bud!

Sorry about the WoT :P

Warning if you feel attacked by this post it probably wasn't directed at you...
    If i don't own you in ether RP or PvP, then its not directed at you ether because your most likely not clueless at all..

RPers critizese me for being a PvPer, PvPers look down at me for RPing.. and PvMers Look at me ether when i RP or PvP and wish they where as awesome as me...

But in the end, it seem that RP and PvP generally don't match...
    That is..

RP and HARDCORE PG PvP doesn't match... According to most from both sides at least, but i still say FU

Il freaking RP when i want to and PvP when i want to, me doing one of the other things doesn't mean I'm worse at the first thing...

Example one
    The Hardcore RPer goes:
    "Oh my god RP is all about talking and you actually fight! Oh i would NEVER PvP because it goes against RPing and is just useless killing of other players in pure power gaming!
    We all need to talk things out, its the RP way!"

Now sadly enough there really are RPers that think and speak like this... However seemingly unknown to them they actually got no clue on what RP is about at all, even if the general pen and paper idea of RP (and later more advance theater like versions, yes been there done that, i have made my own chainmail hauberk by hand, have you?) is to always try talking first and fighting if everything else fails... It doesn't have to be that way... A soldier fights, and more then often other people... If your on a soldier RPing, you should never EVER say anything like that...
    The sad part is that these people think they are hardcore RPers that know everything about it while they in reality are completely clues, WAR is a part of the story on RK, Killing people is a part of war, hence PvP can be RP...

Example two
    "j00 R t3h rol3pl4yer j00 sux i pwn!"

Ok.. First... Get some English lessons you freaking clueless moron...
    The inability to write in proper English does not make you better at PvP nor does it make you cooler, only makes you look stupid, yes yes i know and I'm sorry but its true... Lear English first, then smack talk..
    As for me being a roleplayer...
    Dude... I just showed my shark so far up your ass that you will be tasting led for a week, and thats what i have been doing for a week now, and still you go to the forums and claim that i cant PvP because i RP?
    Right..
    Fact: I RP
    Fact: I just kicked your ass
    Fact: You claim that RPers suck in PvP
    FACT: You just proclaimed that you do not only suck horribly in PvP (getting killed by a RPer and all), but you are also completely clueless.

TBH --->most<--- (NOT ALL) of the Hardcore RPers and PvPers around really are completely clueless, no i don't like you, i don't want to be associated with you, and as long as i keep freaking dominating you at what you do just freaking STFU and let me do what i want...

Gah... Yes I'm in a bad mood today but thats because of something else RL related...

But...

On topic:
    I welcome the /rp command, will be awesome to be able to go to BS/A bar and actually feel that you are RPing because that flag will hopefully help me avoid my biggest problem, straying out of character myself (yes i do it all the time, horribly annoying but i try my best, usually i put a pack of smokes on my screen to remind myself that I'm RPing. :P
    Don't really think I'm a sucky RPer because of it tho, its what you say and do while you are in-character that decides that, not if you accidentally slip back to reality at times..)

Also it will be nice that others will be able to see when i RP and when i don't...
    Not to mention to see when others are RPing and not xD
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

This would probably open it to more abuse but what about this /rp thing giving access to a sided channel for side wide rp stuff? Wouldn't that breathe some life in the game for the rp guys? (i am not one myself, but to each their own)

also, please change the command from /rp to /toboe

Quote Originally Posted by megabrawlman View Post
    also, please change the command from /rp to /toboe
    /me beats you senseless with a trout

Toboe "DOES NOT RP" by choice.. he just "Takes things seriously sometimes to fault" I never once saw Toboe RP anywhere on purpose..

@Rktim hehe yeah I feel ya on a lot of that <3! But it isn't people that RP and don't PvP that urks me it is the ones that RP tough as nails hard boiled billy bad asses that are never willing to put up that does.. As for PVPers that don't realize they RP and yet bash it that annoy me as well.

I have always and will always do both as they are one and the same to me. The Last "Clan Day" that we held had both RPers of all factional lines, ARKs etc, and yet what was AK doing all that day if any remember.. "Bashing towers" sure it was planned and it was fun! RP + PVP = FUN! We had spies in Omni-OOC that day watching too.. was funny watching them curse us all day lol!

I dont see the correlation that makes RP and PVP diametrically opposing things.

I belong to a minority crowd, and im ok with this fact. However, never in my entire gaming life have I never been able to not cross the threshold. The most entertaining aspects of RP range from a good moderation of violence, drama, mystery, suspense, horror, intrigue, heroism, and antagonism. You are essentially a character in a story, and the story should have presence. If you dont have presence, youre just kinda.. well.. there. Its not fun to play with people who dont inspire presence, or be involved in something that is about as fun as watching insects mate.

PVP'rs tend not to understand what it is to heed the call of adventure. But to me, PVP can be an adventure all its own. After all, great pvp gives you an adrenaline rush, which is in reality, the same kinda rush that RP'rs feel when they are part of something that inspires. Let's take another example. I also love to rock climb. I get the same rush when I am challenged by the next obstacle. Sports people are not that much different either. Ever gone to support your team, and then finding yourself going over the edge to cheer your side, or boo the other side?

That's how simple it is to me. /Shrug.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I don't RP much, but I'd like to. Part of the problem is finding action in RP; everytime I come across blue names or people I know to RP, they're sitting around chatting. Admittedly, giving people in-character sass to see their response is entertaining, but it would be more enjoyable if something more than that happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Quote Originally Posted by Feyde View Post
    "i pvm 4 axp and 200k xp pwnage in SL per kill, then pvp wit org mate 4 pvp title b4 bs twinkage and b4 teh alt switch."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    "j00 R t3h rol3pl4yer j00 sux i pwn!"

Ok.. First... Get some English lessons you freaking clueless moron...
    The inability to write in proper English does not make you better at PvP nor does it make you cooler, only makes you look stupid, yes yes i know and I'm sorry but its true... Lear English first, then smack talk..
    I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that not all PvMers spell like a drunken 13 year old. (and while I agree with the "clueless moron" part, I don't think it's a question of English lessons, but more a case of caring and having some respect for the reader. Smack talk or not, typing like a stupid person makes you look stupid).

As for the /rp flag, sure, sounds like a good idea. (purely visual, of course, with no game-mechanic drawbacks). The less chance of random people trying to RP me, the better. Just make sure it doesn't override name coloring in BS -- we don't need a repetition of the "NoName" ice of albtraum making 90% of BS names red.
    Hlep gnak!

Quote Originally Posted by Redbar View Post
    I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that not all PvMers spell like a drunken 13 year old. (and while I agree with the "clueless moron" part, I don't think it's a question of English lessons, but more a case of caring and having some respect for the reader. Smack talk or not, typing like a stupid person makes you look stupid).

As for the /rp flag, sure, sounds like a good idea. (purely visual, of course, with no game-mechanic drawbacks). The less chance of random people trying to RP me, the better. Just make sure it doesn't override name coloring in BS -- we don't need a repetition of the "NoName" ice of albtraum making 90% of BS names red.
    I was talking about PvPers not PvMers ^_^
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    I don't RP much, but I'd like to. Part of the problem is finding action in RP; everytime I come across blue names or people I know to RP, they're sitting around chatting. Admittedly, giving people in-character sass to see their response is entertaining, but it would be more enjoyable if something more than that happened.
    Well.. I have encountered several "blue named" before.. Often in the strangest of places.. could be Yarko's Lost in SL or Mayor Toog, Sir Tristram or even some Psycho death machine hellbent on ganking me or my assassinator.. but anyway point being is I find blue names around a lot.. usually there is "some" talk involved but almost all my blue name encounters end in either PVP or ARK vs Player combat.. so I really don't understand the view of "sitting doing nothing".

We congregate at "social spots like a club" but are doing very little different during that time than sitting on OA hill or Rome Shop only difference is the "buzz/dinn" of the crowd. In one location people are discussion mostly things relating to story and events or personal plots where others are quoting game stuff ooc buff begging and well you know the rest of what goes on there.. it is all the same just the matter of how they are doing it.. Kinda reminds you of the office or even school for those of you still young enough to not relate to an office situation.. Cliques form and segregation occurs. It is up to us players together to put our foot down and say "Enough with this RPvsPVPvsPVM **** and let's all just play the game and have fun together doing little bits of everything like it used to be.

Everyone claims to miss the old AO and I know it isn't the bugs or imbalances.. Others suggest ways to save or improve it.. I feel it is the loss of mutal respect between players.. For too long members of this community have allowed and encouraged hatred between players.. It only takes a few ballsy influential people willing to take a stand and say.. "enough is enough with the bashing elitism and hatred for no reason between fellow game players" and you will see the same shift that lead us here lead us back to where we were to begin with. It takes those who have the guts to stand up to these ridiculous hypocrisies that plague this game and end it. Let the heretics be damned.

Oh and one of the things about "lowbies and RP" that many people don't take for account when they bash it is that people will put effort in to temporary story characters.. now it would be nice to have an ability like the ARKs do to insta level a right class group with correct gear but often lowbie RP characters are actually made because they are "going to die and thus be deleted" it is once in a great while where RP leads to the assassination and long term loss of a character of high level or "perma-death" which is usually a drastic and heavy decision to take on in RP considering the time it takes to actually "make a good toon" inlcuding gear etc to "back the talk".. I would like to bridge an understanding once again "Between" the sides of this gamers coin and see about rebuilding the bonds between PVP/PVM/RPers and see about increasing the overall health of the game itself.

Idealistic to then end I know.. h8 me for it ~_~!
    Last edited by Xaun; Apr 14th, 2008 at 13:24:59.

With fear of quoting myself, but any aspect of claiming that one is better cause doing X is like looking into the mirror and fapping.

Sadly, creating an illusion of a group is better than the rest is an extremely effective way of creating group unity. We humans have been doing it for thousands of years and will probably never break this habit. Military, nationalism, religions (also atheism), different social castes and fanboys are some examples on who uses this to the extreme I can think of.

This is a game that people pay and play for, how they do it is their own business as long as they don't break the eula or disturbs other peoples enjoyment of the game.

Most of this tread is a big mistake cause "PvP flag" and "RP flag" have the same word in it and people thought it was the same, quite hilarious :-)
    Stop thinking of MMORPGS as girlfriends, think of them as a harem and just enjoy todays favourite.

The amount of grief given to RPers in the past will be very unlikely to diminish with a visible flag as target and FUcom isn't exactly keen on preventing such abuse. Not even to the degree they used to be and that was not much.
    But if this leads to more people "risking" to RP then I think it'll be mostly a benefit and I'd hazard a guess that there are more people out there who'll give it a try than most expect.
    Slowing to a walk when going through a city has on more than one occasion lead to RP encounters for me. As has talking to other people in ICC Island, even cross-faction b/c some people recognise that the alien threat needs to be dealt with before we go back to our private war.. we can take care of that when the bugs are otherwise occupied.

Hehe, PvPers .vs. Rpers..
    Not many people here remember, or perhaps they never knew, that the first PvP in AO was a group of RPers, who met and slugged it out in 2HO so they can indeed coexist very nicely.
    Me? Trouble? No trouble..

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

Xaun, more recently a lot of blues have just been around talking. We get a couple randomly appearing in Newland around where Wolf Brigade hangs out. I haven't been in game much due to school work concerns but from what I've been hearing, most of the Ark to player rp is just social stuff. I personally think they are trying to just get some atmosphere going and support for just being in character.

Throw away characters would be less of a problem if people didn't always claim to have some RP way to kill people. Permadeath weapons have been too common from some of the player plots I've heard about. If you realize that nanotechnology effectively makes people immortal and source enlightenment actually does, than you have to change your way of looking at plots from the old stand by of "Kill it and the problem goes away".
    Angel "Berael" Wolf - 220/22 Solitus Engineer RP Profile
    Advisor of Wolf Brigade, A Proud Neutral Organization

AOwiki - A chance to show what you know.
    Hunting Grounds Neutral Neck Items Tradeskill Pricing v3.0 Roleplaying Organizations v2.0 (RK1)

"The world will not evolve past its current state of crisis by using the same thinking that created the situation" - Albert Einstein
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Berael View Post
    Xaun, more recently a lot of blues have just been around talking. We get a couple randomly appearing in Newland around where Wolf Brigade hangs out. I haven't been in game much due to school work concerns but from what I've been hearing, most of the Ark to player rp is just social stuff. I personally think they are trying to just get some atmosphere going and support for just being in character.

Throw away characters would be less of a problem if people didn't always claim to have some RP way to kill people. Permadeath weapons have been too common from some of the player plots I've heard about. If you realize that nanotechnology effectively makes people immortal and source enlightenment actually does, than you have to change your way of looking at plots from the old stand by of "Kill it and the problem goes away".
    I had really fun while drinking at a friends house while playing AO once, ran in to a blue named guy, went "oh cool RP", stalked him all over rome and omni ent for like 30min, followed him to Rompha bar, sat there and talked to him for like 1h, he decided to leave, i followed him in to a ally and executed him... I remember having some vague reason to do it involving secret modifications of his new body he shouldn't know about... Don't think i ever explained to him or anyone else why tho (seeing how he shouldn't know about it )
    Messiah has spoken.

the only counter to non-RPers using the RP flag to "look cool":

annoy them with constant IC talk just keep talking IC cause they are pretending to be a roleplayer, and they'll prolly just get rid of flag to get rid of the RPers talking "weird" to them

edit: sanqq said the same thing xD (great minds think alike )

but if this might cause grief we could aid those willing in RPing further into RP, and just plain ignore the "fake RPers" using flag as show,they'll learn in time that using a little "flag" for show isn't as good as they thought

as for the RK1 RPers that got trouble finding others, feel free to talk to me (playboyfixer) or Dabblez, and ask for invite on "Channel42", it's the global RP chat channel

and Rktim didn't know u RP xD i'll have to annoy you with shady clanner dealz or so ;p
    Last edited by playboyfixer; Apr 14th, 2008 at 17:44:20.
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

Quote Originally Posted by playboyfixer View Post
    the only counter to non-RPers using the RP flag to "look cool":

annoy them with constant IC talk just keep talking IC cause they are pretending to be a roleplayer, and they'll prolly just get rid of flag to get rid of the RPers talking "weird" to them

edit: sanqq said the same thing xD (great minds think alike )

but if this might cause grief we could aid those willing in RPing further into RP, and just plain ignore the "fake RPers" using flag as show,they'll learn in time that using a little "flag" for show isn't as good as they thought

as for the RK1 RPers that got trouble finding others, feel free to talk to me (playboyfixer) or Dabblez, and ask for invite on "Channel42", it's the global RP chat channel

and Rktim didn't know u RP xD i'll have to annoy you with shady clanner dealz or so ;p
    Well before you do that you should know that i RP a Omni Tek Feild Marshal (seeing how its my "official" title) and Rktim is a bit... "extream"... He has threatened to go to war against unicorns because they don't always kill clans on sight, he has also threated numerous of ICC officials and high ranking OT officials because they don't support the idea of a full scale war against the clans, his main object of frustration is there refusal to go for a full out atomic cleansing of the northern part of RK to "clean out the rat holes"....
    He has also proclaimed that OT shuld go on a full war against ICC after we got control of RK... His a wonderful example of military brainwashing gone wrong..
    Thats why OT (in its infinate wisdom) decided to place him on the Goliath stations, unfortionetly for me they didn't give me authorization to fire the cannons <.<
    And yes oh yes he would love the dust brigade if they whernt such soft whiners, secretly he does have a soft spot for them and there ways tho..
    Tbh the whole reason i made him that way was because the "diplomatic" religon most of the RPers are slaving under.... I don't care who you know, i don't care whos authority you have, i got a carbine, a license to kill anyone i see as traitors to OT, and you don't...

Contrary to my MA "Imdrunknow" who's completely layed back and loves clan girls above everything else despite being omni himself... whos favorite pass time is to smash hecklers while drinking ridicules amounts of alcohol..

And... The scary part that The first one is the hardest to play...
    And no if you see Rktim at GSP party's I'm NOT IC, if i was i would be shooting everyone :P
    Last edited by Rktim; Apr 14th, 2008 at 18:28:18.
    Messiah has spoken.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast