Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to avoid this amount of whinage:

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Rly? Because I've seen bucketloads of "OMG! Fire Fire Fire!!! NERF NERF! ZOMG!!" posts these few days, or does the filter on apply to people working for FC?
    I think he means they've learned through constant practice not to see the troll posts.

I wish I felt like I had time to play on test, but the time I spend on live is already pushing against real life stuff. :-/

I do appreciate the effort that other folks put in there to iron out things before they hit live.
    Bolen - 220/23/70 trox ma clanner
    Proud Veteran of Synergy Factor
    www.synergyfactor.net
    Atlantean

Quote Originally Posted by Bolen View Post
    I think he means they've learned through constant practice not to see the troll posts.
    Irony? ;x hence the "rolling-eyes" ;D;D;D
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Its hardly overreacting if people get mad over giving 2nd best heal game to proffesion that shouldnt have any heals whatsover by definition. It was just THAT wrong.

But what do i know.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Its hardly overreacting if people get mad over giving 2nd best heal game to proffesion that shouldnt have any heals whatsover by definition. It was just THAT wrong.

But what do i know.
    I'm gonna take this reply with me tomorrow, and gonna get it printed on a t-shirt. Because it's just that Epic!
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ober View Post
    The fact that I don't have time in my life to dedicate time to testing a game I'm paying to pay, doesn't mean I don't have anything intelligent to say about new stuff.

(Even tho I usually don't ofc, but that wouldn't change much with me a dedicated tester...)
    Noone's telling anyone to go to test server and play, just asking that a little common sense is used.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Don't take TEST server content as Live server content. It seems like every single person in the game magically forgot every other item on the test server throughout time that never made it to live servers in a way that people thought they were supposed to.

How about taking things with a grain of salt and not throwing up a ****storm of these proportions whenever a tiny little nano that represents a minimal increase in strength pops up. Really, it's embarassing being a part of a community where so many people turn into raving idiots at the slightest thought of things that they don't particularly like.

Show some dignity, please.
    So when would the proper time to voice concern over a proposed change be? Once it hits live?

The worst thing about all the whining on the forums is it brings out all the people that whine about the whining...

Besides general chitchat and community support/help, having a place to receive feedback on the game and proposed changes to the game is an important function. By now I am sure funcom understands this and I suspect throwing out half finished ideas and letting the player base whine it into something that almost works has become an integral part of the development process.
    Still waiting for a reason to come back...

Someone with a brain please nerf!

Do I have to actually spell out why that would be a smart thing to do rather than whine in this forum without knowing what you're talking aobut?
    If that’s what funcom wanted then I doubt seriously they would create an entire forum section for each new update before it goes live. The fact that they create a new discussion area open for posting and start it off with the pre-patch notes says it all. Besides, as much as it would be great if everyone checked out test server the fact is only a small percentage do. Confining discussion to only test server related areas of the forum would drastically reduce the level of pre-patch discussion. Instead the forums would be flooded with WTF? I QUIT AO!!!1!!111 posts after the crap hits live and 90% of the player base is blindsided.

With 99.9% of all whinage threads you know what you are in for before you even click to open the thread. Don't want to see it or participate? Don't click/read.
    Last edited by DarkSektor; Apr 22nd, 2008 at 23:24:05.
    Still waiting for a reason to come back...

Noone's telling anyone to go to test server and play, just asking that a little common sense is used.
    My Common Sense tells me that if I don't raise a stink about badly designed items when they hit test they have a 50/50 shot of hitting live.

So ... damn skippy I'm gonna complain when I see OPed and/or badly designed items being tested. If it somehow hurts FCs sensibilities (I'm not worried about yours when we do this ... or if it somehow drains their dev resources ... then maybe our whining about test items, if we do it loudly enough often enough, will cause them to put more thought into them beforehand.

Don't like it? It annoys you? Don't read the forums
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post
    My Common Sense tells me that if I don't raise a stink about badly designed items when they hit test they have a 50/50 shot of hitting live.

So ... damn skippy I'm gonna complain when I see OPed and/or badly designed items being tested. If it somehow hurts FCs sensibilities (I'm not worried about yours when we do this ... or if it somehow drains their dev resources ... then maybe our whining about test items, if we do it loudly enough often enough, will cause them to put more thought into them beforehand.

<3 Hyde

Quoted cuz I think it needs to be read twice =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebius View Post
    Silence m8! The beast is sleeping, do not wake her and incur her wrath.
    Lyzor 220 Opi - PVP Doc
    Current
    Wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post

By this logic none of the items in the game according to the players would ever have made it from the test server in any shape or form :|
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

By every logic possible this thread is far more pure trolling than all the whining and bitching about new content.

Because guess what - it might not always be constructive but it still IS about new content. The one and only point of having a test server is to find bugs and to gather feedback from community, and the community does just that. But why should anyone care that person named Mastablasta isnt happy with quality of that feedback, and why do we have to talk about it 17.9 section - help me here , i dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    While I appreciate the sentiment I can assure you that we are more then used to people over-reacting to test server data. While it is just that - over-reacting, there is also value in some of the posts and people's constructive feedback. I don't think that I'd like to close things down and not let people have a forum for the discussion for the sake of a few forum trolls.

Of course I would love for people to always behave with a little more perspective on the forums (in particular when it is in relation to test data) but the silly 'OMG the sky is falling' posts are ignored anyway so they don't really effect things one way or the other. The only shame is that the vocal minority often hide the points of those who do keep it constructive and rational so we have to look harder to make sure we see all of it. (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though )
    This makes sense..across the board..however I'm going to reiterate some of the prior comments made up to the point this post was made, hopefully in a objective and logical manner.

When something is indicated that it will either be changed/added/removed from any MMO, and said changes are residing on the MMO's test server(s), several factors come into play, psychologically speaking.

If it's a new player with no prior MMO experience, then the person will likely be for/against the change, because it represents a significance to them that's worth speaking up over.

If it's a player with prior MMO experience (read: multiple MMOs) then not only do they experience the aforementioned circumstance, but also a entirely new issue comes into play. Too many times in too many MMOs have developers simply NOT listened to the playerbase closely enough, or in some cases at all. Changes that are known by the players to be detrimental or unwanted, draw off of this wisdom and produce what some people will classify as "whining". Objectively speaking, it *is* such, but the motivation behind it is more than just a shallow reason. Players with prior MMO experience who have witnessed just this scenario being played out will react loudly, and with great fervour in hopes that the uproar will be enough to garner the Devs attention, or to get it at least long enough to draw it to specifics regarding whatever the uproar is about.

I will refrain from commenting about the state of things with Funcom and the playerbase because honestly? I'm out of touch..I've been gone from the game for at minimum of 3 years and I'm honestly not sure how the environment plays out right now.

In short, I have no clue if this is the case with Funcom or not. That is up to the rest of the playerbase that is more educated than I to analyze and determine.

My only focus here is to point out to Silirrion and the playerbase at large that there may be a much more valid reason than what is stereotypically identified with the various "the sky is falling" posts that people see.

Thank you for reading.
    "Power...is living in a sea of information, directing and manipulating the flows so that the end result is a escalation of one's authority, one's reputation for knowledge, and one's ability to get things done in a timely and businesslike fashion."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSektor View Post
    So when would the proper time to voice concern over a proposed change be? Once it hits live?

The worst thing about all the whining on the forums is it brings out all the people that whine about the whining...

Besides general chitchat and community support/help, having a place to receive feedback on the game and proposed changes to the game is an important function. By now I am sure funcom understands this and I suspect throwing out half finished ideas and letting the player base whine it into something that almost works has become an integral part of the development process.
    Just to help elaborate for people who don't seem to get it:

Voicing Concern: "I believe the soldier's new nano is slightly stronger than it should be and needs to be looked at." "I concur." "I'm sorry, I believe this nano would be a nice addition to our toolset for reason X, Y and Z" "Well here are reasons A, B and C why they are slightly over the top"

What happens on the Update Forums: "OMG, TEH NEW SOLDIER NANO IS TOTALLY OP! PLEASE NERF!" "BAMP!" "NO WAI, YOU JUST NEED TO L2P" "STUPID SOLDIERS ARE SO EAZY, WHY DON'T WE ALL ROLL 1!!!" "I HATE YOUR FACE!"

I would hope anyone wanting to be taken seriously can see the difference.
    歯ブラシ.........
    Chaotic Order *AP*.....
    Durtycalm - 060|05|14 - Crat .| Doctor - 56|16|220 - Durtyheals....
    Gaara - 110|11|28 - Meta .| Keeper - 58|20|220 - Tsuyoi....
    Durtysnipe - 076|08|21 - Agent |. Fixer - 60|18|213 - Durtymeep......

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Just to help elaborate for people who don't seem to get it:

Voicing Concern: "I believe the soldier's new nano is slightly stronger than it should be and needs to be looked at." "I concur." "I'm sorry, I believe this nano would be a nice addition to our toolset for reason X, Y and Z" "Well here are reasons A, B and C why they are slightly over the top"

What happens on the Update Forums: "OMG, TEH NEW SOLDIER NANO IS TOTALLY OP! PLEASE NERF!" "BAMP!" "NO WAI, YOU JUST NEED TO L2P" "STUPID SOLDIERS ARE SO EAZY, WHY DON'T WE ALL ROLL 1!!!" "I HATE YOUR FACE!"

I would hope anyone wanting to be taken seriously can see the difference.
    qft
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

As the title of the thread is "how to avoid this amount of whinage"

I think it a fair and just answer to simply double check these items before there even put on test..

Hmm lets see, all the cloaks are messed up, engineer nano has wrong skill requirement... as does engineer pistol... Hmm..

I don't call that test server, I call that pencil and paper brain storming before anyone hits a keystroke..

Simply taking more time to go over an item, then letting a dev put it in DB after its 3am and they've had a few might a better way to go about it :P

Also, Wouldn't it be lovely if we actually had the ability to test these nanos... on... test?
    Grenadearchy Online
    Takun - Grenade Engineer [Equipt] - Crit Monster - Overlord of Mortar Kombat
    Grenades - Grenade Engineer [Equipt] - Leveling Monster - Advisor of Mortar Kombat

Grenade Infos
    Pure DPS - [Setup] - 1701 Fling to cap Sloth - 1% crit is equal to ~28+ damage
    Agg/Def: 100% - 1440 Nano Init to insta cast Isotos - 150 Ranged Init to cap Sloth
    Agg/Def: 0% - 2640 Nano Init to insta cast Isotos - 1650 Ranged Init to cap Sloth

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Rly? Because I've seen bucketloads of "OMG! Fire Fire Fire!!! NERF NERF! ZOMG!!" posts these few days, or does the filter on apply to people working for FC?
    lol I think you didn't get the joke..

Don't take TEST server content as Live server content. It seems like every single person in the game magically forgot every other item on the test server throughout time that never made it to live servers in a way that people thought they were supposed to.

How about taking things with a grain of salt and not throwing up a ****storm of these proportions whenever a tiny little nano that represents a minimal increase in strength pops up. Really, it's embarassing being a part of a community where so many people turn into raving idiots at the slightest thought of things that they don't particularly like.

Show some dignity, please.

True ... yet without the whines, would the item have ever changed from what was originally developed?

/zen
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

By this logic none of the items in the game according to the players would ever have made it from the test server in any shape or form :|
    Nah, I didn't say that everything everyone writes should be heeded, just that we definitely should be willing and able to speak up. Can't run a game by committee, but you can't create a good one in a vacuum either.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though )
    Gah, no wonder Sil ignores me. Weren't all my PMs, emails and love letters enough for you?
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi007 View Post
    lol I think you didn't get the joke..
    No, I'm afraid you didn't get it. My answer was ment as sarcastic remark.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast