Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - February 27th, 2009

Seeing the words "Alternative leveling" inspires me. I'm stuck at 202, when my computer kinda crapped out on me, and you know what? It was boring as hell, given that you need a team to level at that level, and people go "Eww, 202 fixer, does anyone need NCU? aright, who's next?"

and even though I am quite well equipped, I can't solo for EXP, I simply die too much.
    -Ashram 202 ish fixer on rimor- Proud owner of Manta A.V.

Wink

was nice to see the vetern getting some love...shadow/rubika warp 10min lock...oops...it went back to 50min lock.

how about some vetern itemn to shorten the lock time?^_-
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    A Busy Week:
    - Removing the smoke effect from the new hoverchairs.
    In the future we'll try to make adjustments to older content to make the risk vs reward similar to encourage the idea of "alternative leveling" away from traditional (and perhaps repetitive..)methods. ...
    I am very excited about these changes! I hope the latter will make casual players stick around more. There doesn't have to be an easy mode to leveling, just if it were viable for solo and small teams without having to sit on lft for hours it would be great. People will actually learn their profession better in small teams i believe and I bet it will be fun leveling of random wildlife and quests none ever bothered to do so far.

I don't really see the need to see hostile nanos in an extra display though. Other players NCU should be invisible to everyone but themselves, and if you don't notice you've been hit by an ubt/drain/root it's bad luck i'd say.
    Nijushio - 220/30 - semi-retired MA
    Nijutech - 220/29 - funny Engi
    Sabrezor - 170/24 - bored Advy
    Sabrezap - 150/20 - confused fixi

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Yeah.... I'm sure I will absolutely LOVE to have everyone know when my Doc is shut down / disabled by GTH....

How could I not love that feature....
    NSDed doc are easy to see ... it the ones that run away

but I agree with Quilluck and other suggestion, you should be able to see the harmfull NCU of programs you actualy have landed on target (and not the one landed by others)
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

This type of content structure is a little new...but it seems like one that works. In the future we'll try to make adjustments to older content to make the risk vs reward similar to encourage the idea of "alternative leveling" away from traditional (and perhaps repetitive..)methods.
    As always, thank you for taking the time to communicate with us, and thank you for all the details you've provided, I'm not sure you realize just how important to us they are, but we're incredibly glad to have them.

I was hoping for some of the updates you gave on the booster tweaks, but then you throw in a comment about other alternate leveling ideas and my heart nearly stopped. More than anything else in the game, I would *love* to see a balancing of some of the old content. I've been leveling my engie from 215 to 219 the last few weeks, and it's amazing how many times the discussion in team turns to the "good old days" of Tiun and Ithaki teams. I don't miss those being the only option, but I do miss them being an option at all.

So... to that end, here's a shameless plug of a thread I wrote a bit over a year ago: http://forums.anarchyonline.com/showthread.php?t=469922 .... I think most of the suggestions there are constructive. There have been many similar threads in the Game Suggestions forums over the year but that's the one I could find easily with search.

Work is of course continuing on the final instance...and while it will not be coming in Tuesday's update it will be coming very soon. The weapons included in the instance need to be right as I would hate to see them adjusted after being pushed to live.
    If you're looking for constructive ideas for the enforcer weapons, please do take a quick trip by the enforcer forums. We really do want options, and there are a lot of good ideas there for the new weapons. I think if there's any one idea I'd like to have come out of the discussion is that the enforcer options shouldn't be *balanced* they should be intentionally lopsided... different weapons should be good for different people depending on which aspect of the toolset the character wishes to focus.

Who should go first?
    hmmm lets see...
    Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    First!
    oh wait, you have a volunteer!

/applause @ alternative leveling
    Dirty Underpants of Bungerman
    Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

Less video making , more perk reset NPC adding, pretty please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Yeah.... I'm sure I will absolutely LOVE to have everyone know when my Doc is shut down / disabled by GTH....

How could I not love that feature....
    Seems that they will only know if they have you targeted, oh and, also seems like docs will be able to tell if there target already has UBT on it and if it has all DoTs running already etc etc...
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Lol-feature!

I like FC's style. Hope to see these new features soon, they look great!

In other news: New onehander?
    Meet me on RK1!
    Desperado34 Supreme Creator
    Enzaa Eternalist

my wtb thread my wts thread

A Busy Week:

It has been a busy week in game, and definitely on the forums. Thanks to all who have taken the time to take part in discussions on improving AO for all of us. Some excellent ideas were brought up and suggestions were made. A couple of which are already done!

It is always good when we get the chance to get this kind of a discussion going, especially with so many different people. It gives us a chance to get a better perspective on what is really important to the playerbase...and it can sometimes be surprising. A great number of the issues that were brought up will not require crazy amounts of work to resolve, and it will be good to know that a bit of small effort in the right direction can make such a difference to so many people. For example I didn't fully realize how much people were affected by the spammers in game...work has already been done to make this problem easier to deal with (something not easy in a game that offers free accounts..) and we look forward to having better ways (less player driven) in the near future to deal with this issue. Again, thanks to all who put together lists of their top 10 issues, this will be very usefull in planning our development in the coming year. It was also great to hear that some already started work was moving in the right direction.

The Booster:

Work continued this week on ironing out the last few small issues in the booster after what was probably the smoothest launch we have ever had. We can look forward to an update on Tuesday (barring disaster) to address, and crush, the vast majority of the small issues included in the booster and the recent past.

Including:

- Adding the suggested SK rewards for 220 players to the Dust Brigade and Alien questlines.
    - Increasing the drop rates of components for Spirits that drop from the Technomaster and Vortexx instances.
    - A serious attempt at removing the raid related crash that has been occuring recently.
    - Further work at tightening up synch even further.
    - Addressing small issues with several of the new missions.
    - Removing the smoke effect from the new hoverchairs.
    - Adjusting alien snares to reduce training in the Arid Rift alien playfield.
    - Tidying up a few new exploits.

It has been great to see so many of you enjoying the booster and your feedback on WHY you are enjoying it. This type of content structure is a little new...but it seems like one that works. In the future we'll try to make adjustments to older content to make the risk vs reward similar to encourage the idea of "alternative leveling" away from traditional (and perhaps repetitive..)methods. Work is of course continuing on the final instance...and while it will not be coming in Tuesday's update it will be coming very soon. The weapons included in the instance need to be right as I would hate to see them adjusted after being pushed to live.

Soon there will be another interview with me on AO-Universe.com (I was slow getting it to them while recovering from the launch..). I am certain you are all getting quite sick of me by now. I'm hoping in the near future we can have a weekly update from other Devs in the house here so you can get to know them a little bit as well. They are all talented and very interesting people and I am honored to get to work with them every day. Who should go first?

Macrosun's Fun stuff for this week!

Reverse Knockback sneak peek (No leets were harmed in the filming of this video!):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV1HrOsj3fU

Visible Display option for Hostile Nanos running on your target! (Screenshot at bottom of this post...early version...size of icons etc can be tweaked later )

Hail Macrosun!
    Display of Hostile Nanos on the target is nice, but imho it should be disabled for a target that is a player or a players pet.

And while you are at it, could you please get this implemented:
    1) possibility the cancel nanos on my pets
    2) display which trimmers are active on my pet
    (if not possible, maybe implement a special agg/def bar that displays these setting for my pet)

3) Change logging of the Damage/Actions of players pets.
    Many ppl like to know how well the do damage wise and at the moment its not reliably possible to detected my pets damage and the damage of other players pets.

Last questions:
    When will the next full fleged expansion be released?
    How many ppl are working on AO 2 atm?

Have a nice weekend!
    Last edited by SoldiTwo; Feb 27th, 2009 at 18:22:04. Reason: lol had AOC written! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by SoldiTwo View Post
    3) Change logging of the Damage/Actions of players pets.
    Many ppl like to know how well the do damage wise and at the moment its not reliably possible to detected my pets damage and the damage of other players pets.
    /pet rename

Or to put it another way, rename your pets. Though admittedly doesn't work for charms...
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Fist i am a Soldier but i can feel with the melee

- Adjusting alien snares to reduce training in the Arid Rift alien playfield.
    test it on Testserver now
    NaCost: 0Duration: 00:00:06
    Range: 20m
    Speed:
    Attack 0.01s
    Recharge 0.01s
    Modifier:
    Run Speed -2800

Description:
    Strange energy flowing through the air almost makes it impossible to put one foot in front of the other. It seems to be coming from that strange alien structure.

the melee diddnt have a "Box of Knifes" to throw knifes into the tower but...
    look at one situation into Arid Rift

A= Player
    B= Snare Alien
    C= Tower with snare an heal
    D= Medic Alien
    E= Trash/Nano thief Alien add´s
    | = C snare range

A.........|.B............C..........D..|........E
    -------------------------------------->

a melee A must first go(walk) to E to kill D outside heal range from C and when E*
    A can not kill B then he get heal from C
    A can not kill C then he get heal from D
    A must D pull to E outside heal from C to kill but when E* is a nano thief then R.I.P (Reclaim Incomming Possible)

the best way to change it playable for melee is to stop the healing from C
    let snare tower only snare and not heal other Aliens

"sweet Shark"
    Last edited by Brampfine; Feb 27th, 2009 at 18:56:42.

Macrosun's Fun stuff for this week!

Reverse Knockback sneak peek (No leets were harmed in the filming of this video!):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV1HrOsj3fU
    Very interesting. Who will get it tho? Looks like vortex guardians from TR use(d). I sure hope enfs and shades ain't gonna get it.

Visible Display option for Hostile Nanos running on your target! (Screenshot at bottom of this post...early version...size of icons etc can be tweaked later )

Hail Macrosun!
    Wow! I like this one.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Lol @ knockback :\

For the record, that was actually only showing Reverse Knock back or RKB as i'm starting to call it. The Knockback that was used to push away isnt intended to go to live.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

ok not on video but a few minutes before he kills 5 times more leets on the other side of ICC

I logged in on Testserver and he pulls me and throw me away and pulls and and and FUNNY

Macro i tell it Nirvelle that u killed her Leets ;P

wOt for reverse knockback and enemy hostile ncu viewing! Great ideas, both of them!
    Tradition isn't about digging in the ashes - it means passing on the fire.

Polarbaer with his crappy stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Brampfine View Post
    Macro i tell it Nirvelle that u killed her Leets ;P
    HIS, but I agree Nirvelle is a very feminine name, I called him a her at 1st too.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    /pet rename

Or to put it another way, rename your pets. Though admittedly doesn't work for charms...
    Wow, how can I forget about that? Thanks very much!

I don't know but maybe you noticed that Means said: "A great number of the issues that were brought up will not require crazy amounts of work to resolve, and it will be good to know that a bit of small effort in the right direction can make such a difference to so many people."

And the correct logging of the players pets is certainly an area which does not require a crazy amount of work. It's basically just this:
    your pet "stupid name here" hit whatever" ...,
    "blabla bla hit your pet "stupid name here" ...,
    "FakeOtherPlayers pet "withanotherstupidname" hit giantTurtle ...,
    "blabla bla hit FakeOtherPlayers pet "stupid name here" ...
    etc.

I know it maybe will be a bit more work than to just add extra log entries, but hey how much work can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    Very interesting. Who will get it tho? Looks like vortex guardians from TR use(d). I sure hope enfs and shades ain't gonna get it.
    Engineers (Magnet) and Magus (Rift) got it in Warhammer. And lesser (single target, but actually better since you won't lolhaisplatbai if you use it) versions went to melee dps (Marauder/White Lion). 3 of the 4 are pet professions, you know it's meant to be!

Please make Pets get beckon aka tractor beam, kippurs can have the AoE one
    Wow! I like this one.
    I can't live without it in Warhammer, it's awesome
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast