Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: now toon cant do anything

now toon cant do anything

what did u mess up now? my RL friend just made a acc to test out the game, and whats the first thing he sees about the game?? he cant do anything. cant walk cant sit cant press f10 cant do ANYTHING, im on skype whit him atm and have no idea what to do...

is this realy a good first impressein?
    Thabeast 220 Engineer
    Rylourne 220 Enforcer
    Annasan 220 Soldier
    Annamorgane 220 doc
    Psyfreakout 220 crat
    Nanobots 220 Nano-Technician
    Shadowlordi 220 shade
    Ifixnotalot 220Fixer
    Milajojovich 213 Agent (soon to be 220)
    SneakyBeast 200 Agent

Equilibrium

He's getting the authentic experience.
    Brofist 220/30/70 Engineer
    Techbro 220/30/70 Nano-Technician

My theory: the key bindings got messed up. After the latest patch the "Walk forward" key became unbind on ALL my toons (across multiple accounts). Had to manually rebind it to "W". However for me only the W-key was unbinded, not ALL the keys like your friends seems to have.

there is another guy here to just standing there so guess his not the only one. . .
    Thabeast 220 Engineer
    Rylourne 220 Enforcer
    Annasan 220 Soldier
    Annamorgane 220 doc
    Psyfreakout 220 crat
    Shadowlordi 220 shade
    Ifixnotalot 220Fixer
    SneakyBeast 200 Agent

Equilibrium

yeah thats what im thinking to... tho he cant manual fix the key binding since he cant press f10...
    Thabeast 220 Engineer
    Rylourne 220 Enforcer
    Annasan 220 Soldier
    Annamorgane 220 doc
    Psyfreakout 220 crat
    Shadowlordi 220 shade
    Ifixnotalot 220Fixer
    SneakyBeast 200 Agent

Equilibrium

Hi

Had a quick discussion on this, try the following....

1) What kind of OS is he running? Vista is, as we all know, keen on not always working the way we want it to. Make sure he runs the Anarchy application as Administrator

2) Delete the Prefs folder found in the Funcom/Anarchy Online folder, then run the game.

3) If he uses Vista or Windows 7, try moving the entire Funcom/Anarchy Online away from Program Files. Then follow the steps above.

Let us know how it works out.
    Director Frostrune
    ARK Operations 6+ years and counting

"Order restored."

This is us - Advisors of Rubi-Ka
    Read and follow these - Rules of Conduct
    Follow these and the Moderation Team will be happy - Forum Guidelines

Happends to me alot, its alt+shift changing your keyboard to Chinese or something. Just hit it a few times more to get it bakc to normal

Quote Originally Posted by Brofist View Post
    He's getting the authentic experience.
    ROFL ..
    that made my day

seriously ... these kind of experience ... i mean, its kown since forever, why cant FC simple change the way, the game installs on Vista/7 ?!
    messed keys ... oh well ... how can that happen again ?

Microsoft, way bigger and way better funded, can't fix issues with Windows. What makes you think FC can just whip up some patch that bypasses Windows BS and works great?
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Microsoft, way bigger and way better funded, can't fix issues with Windows. What makes you think FC can just whip up some patch that bypasses Windows BS and works great?
    Well, FC could change prefs to be in user data directory instead under the installation, which should fix most problems with AO. Then it would just be left to patching, and you would need to do it as super user, I guess patcher could be set to ask for admin rights if it does not have? I'm still mostly stuck with WinXP (because it works) so not sure what is really possible for software to do...
    Mireiawen Rose, 215/30/70 neut fixer, setup RK2
    Mireiwen Rose, 220/27/62 neut MA trader/tradeskiller, setup RK2
    Miraiwen Rose, 220/30/70 neut SMG soldier, setup RK2
    Miraeawen Rose, 220/27/70 neut MP, setup RK2
    Mireiaieawen Rose, 220/30/69 neut tank, RK2
    +bunch of others in Rose family...

President of Neutral Warriors | Neutnet mod | Mireiawen.net

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!

Well I've never really had issues, even though I use Vista, but then I'm also used to using a Games folder, rather then Program Files, from goodness knows how long ago when it was just what I was told to do.

Yes Vista has issues, it's a rather stupidly put together OS, but the issues it does have, such as not liking AO in Program Files, isn't really AOs fault as Windows should allow program files to be installed in the folder they name program files and expect them to work.

Sure FC could change some things, but who's to say that wont cause more/new issues? Knowing Vista, the possibility is there.
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor

Quote Originally Posted by Mireiawen View Post
    Well, FC could change prefs to be in user data directory instead under the installation, which should fix most problems with AO. Then it would just be left to patching, and you would need to do it as super user, I guess patcher could be set to ask for admin rights if it does not have? I'm still mostly stuck with WinXP (because it works) so not sure what is really possible for software to do...
    The patcher (or is it the OS, detecting that it's some kind of installer, no idea?) already does ask for elevated permissions on Win 7, so it should work even when installed inside "Program Files". No idea why it doesn't, for some people.
    I have, however, noticed some weird things happening when you mess with UAC. For some applications, even when you are logged in with admin priviledges, you still get the elevated permissions needed popup, but only when you have UAC turned on. If you have turned it off, such apps will be silently launched in restricted mode without you ever knowing that they would require elevated permissions, thus they won't function properly. You also won't be able to run anything with admin priviledges manually, even when logged on as admin.

Also, most recent patchers/installers (and in some cases, the installed applications themselves) are made "UAC-aware", meaning that if they detect that they are running on a non-prviledged OS account, they will trigger UACs "elevated permission" function which prompts the user for the admin password to be able to spawn an instance of themselves running under admin priviledges.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Yes Vista has issues, it's a rather stupidly put together OS, but the issues it does have, such as not liking AO in Program Files, isn't really AOs fault as Windows should allow program files to be installed in the folder they name program files and expect them to work.
    Thats a false assumption. The Guidelines as to where software should store its data that is being altered during usage (and its only about this) have been laid out by Microsoft long before the release of Vista or 7. Its Funcoms fault. Other companies have adapted to the folder virtualization many years ago...
    ಠ_ಠ

its not a windows issue, its just as the poster before said, a permission setup.
    its a plain security thingy.

these issues make me think that AO is 1. not microsoft certified and 2. not entierly written on MS programming guidelines.

On the other hand, we can be happy, that there is movement in the AO development you want to tell that your friend too :P

Quote Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
    Thats a false assumption. The Guidelines as to where software should store its data that is being altered during usage (and its only about this) have been laid out by Microsoft long before the release of Vista or 7. Its Funcoms fault. Other companies have adapted to the folder virtualization many years ago...
    This.

Long before Vista came out there were technotes and information about "making your legacy application Vista compatible".

I know, I read them during the beta phase.

And tbh, the simplest solution is to fix the installer so it doesnt let you install in Program Files in the first place.

Tbh, I like having apps that can just be moved as a complete folder, all this using AppData to store settings is damned annoying.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Quote Originally Posted by raw_fox View Post
    its a plain security thingy.
    Who's?

Mine? Someone gona steal my password cause a game is in Program Files?

I'm failing to see where the security thingy is in this situation.

As for the other stuff, okay, I didn't know that kinda stuff. Knowledge learned. I've always been told to install into a Games folder anyway, just figured it was for organization not that there was some evil involved if you install into Program Files.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

Quote Originally Posted by omutb View Post
    this.
    Tbh, i like having apps that can just be moved as a complete folder, all this using appdata to store settings is damned annoying.
    qft ^^

Who's?

As for the other stuff, okay, I didn't know that kinda stuff. Knowledge learned. I've always been told to install into a Games folder anyway, just figured it was for organization not that there was some evil involved if you install into Program Files.
    No, program files is protected to protect you and your apps from infestation. There's no "evil" involved. It's programs that do not have permission to write in this folder, to protect the system from problems.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Who's?

Im not a windows man and cannot explain it in detail, but the principle is, to use every program with user rights only instead of godmode administrator rights.

Thats because if you get 3rd-party soft like virus or trojans, they would also have admin rights on your computa and can i.e. kill your files.
    By using user permissions, every incoming hostile stuff can only do, what users can do, it is not possible then, to manipulate or destroy system files.
    Last edited by raw_fox; Jan 19th, 2011 at 13:38:43. Reason: Masta was fasta

Quote Originally Posted by raw_fox View Post
    Im not a windows man and cannot explain it in detail, but the principle is, to use every program with user rights only instead of godmode administrator rights.
    Exactly.

UAC is meant to annoy you so that you stop using a user with administrator rights and do what you should, which means using a standard user and only doing administration things when required.

Mac OS X and Linux X Windows systems do this as well.

Linux consoles require you to do sudo, su or have the right flag set on the executable object.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast