Thread: Daily Mission: A Contingent Spy

Daily Mission: A Contingent Spy

I just got this mission on a level 9 character, there is no logical reason for a level 9 to have to run to the other end of the planet for something that is supposed to be a fast to do mission :P

The shortest possible way to get there by running as an omni level 9 is:

Rome -> Broken shores -> 4 Holes -> 2h0 -> The Longest Road
    or
    Rome -> Galway Castle -> Outpost 10-3 -> 2h0 -> The Longest Road

Now I can figure that out rather fast and just dual log for a fgrid from my fixer (not that I'll actually bother to do it at all for a reward that takes me a minute in subway to do), but what about a newer player? It'll take them a while just to figure out what a whompah is, then after they need to understand the route system shown on the planet map (given that they have actually started using the planet map yet and have a clue that routes shown are for whompah transportation).

Chances are that they will just ignore the mission and hopefully not be discouraged from trying for a new daily mission tomorrow.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

This can't be right. Why on earth would an Omni character be tasked to go spy on an Omni research lab?

Or is there an Omni version that takes them to a secret Clan operation also located in TLR?
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lliers View Post
    Or is there an Omni version that takes them to a secret Clan operation also located in TLR?
    Yes.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

I don't see a problem with the distance personally. It's a few whompa jumps and then a run from TLR to the hideout. Probably takes 5 +/- minutes at level 9.

As far as the new player situation goes, the player needs to learn these new routes and shortcuts. They need to ask the community about these kinds of things so that they don't become overwhelmed later on by not knowing wtf to do. I'd rather see the new players asking for community help than for Funcom to hand-hold them by putting the missions nearby.

@ Lliers - There is a version for omnis to do too. I think clan rent the bomb-building machinery in there for one day and omni the next day.

The real threat is the neutrals who have brainwashed omni and clan to make them think they are at war with each other while neutrals profit on all of the war gear! Those rich neutral bastards! They have to force an omni person to walk around throwing garbage, just to make Borealis look normal and not su****iously clean!

Quote Originally Posted by Lektronik View Post
    As far as the new player situation goes, the player needs to learn these new routes and shortcuts. They need to ask the community about these kinds of things so that they don't become overwhelmed later on by not knowing wtf to do. I'd rather see the new players asking for community help than for Funcom to hand-hold them by putting the missions nearby.
    Not at level 9 they don't :P
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurounin View Post
    Not at level 9 they don't :P
    I agree, level 1 is when they should start requesting community support.

I can understand what you mean about the distance. I would agree with your stance if the whompa route didn't exist. But the way I see it, the whompa route opens up two opportunities:

1) They open up their planet map and they freak out at how far away the mission is, so they ask OOC for help. A kind, experienced player tells this level 9 player all about whompas and the route needed to get to Longest Road fast. The new player gets a positive vibe from the community support early-on, which is a crucial in retaining the players interest in the game.

2) When the new player realizes that the whompa route just took him to a place far away, he gets a sense for just how huge the game world is. This also provides a positive vibe because the player realizes he may never run out of places to see.

omni spying omni.. think it as Brofist's evul experiment lab
    Forever yours. Otmoz.

Duel/solo stats can be faked. Side xp cant be. TL7 nw for life