Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove Name Changes

Remove Name Changes

It's hard to keep an eye on who's a ninja looter, who's playing both sides with name changes. Ninja looter helps ppl who ebayed accounts or ripped off ppl and wants to be unknown. Why was this option added when there was no way to track the original name?
    Deathmaster1 220/30/70 Dmsengi 220/28/70
    Dmstanker 220/30/70 Dmsdoc 220/25/70
    Anarchic1 126/15/35 Dmsfix 220/30/70
    Imakeyouoe 164/22/42 Imakeyouoe2 85/9/21

BM of Dark Front - We are recruiting. darkfront.org

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic1 View Post
    It's hard to keep an eye on who's a ninja looter, who's playing both sides with name changes. Ninja looter helps ppl who ebayed accounts or ripped off ppl and wants to be unknown. Why was this option added when there was no way to track the original name?
    only real problem with the name change is it removes the history of the toon, up to the point of name change.

i've used the name change once, because a toon i made had a similar name to another player's toon, and i didnt want people thinking i was them. the toon was tl7 and i was extremely upset to find out that the history of the toon got deleted. luckily the new name matches the name of my other toons , so people dont think i changed it for dubious reasons (my forum name has no similarity to my ingame toons fyi, because im a d-bag here sometimes, and generally the oposite ingame), but its still annoying that those who have used the service for legit reasons have the history removed (i know someone ingame who changed all their toons names to match their main, thus losing history on all their toons).

its a double edged problem.

bump to getting name change fixed so that history is left intact. both for the sake of those who use the service for good reasons, and to prevent its abuse by those who dont want to work to re-earn trust with the rest of the playerbase who they may have wronged.
    Last edited by SoapTarder; Feb 7th, 2011 at 23:09:22.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Smart for funcom to allow this. I am sure more people have quit over personal issues with others, than ninja looting or stealing, and are now free to come back and not have to deal with the past BS.

besides that why should funcom care who you were , or are. It is their responsibility to make money, this will only aid them in that.

All you have to do is exclude them from your org or whatever if you feel that strongly about it.

Having only one or two servers to go too as opposed too the multitude other games have makes it tough to avoid conflicts with others. Some people would rather change name or quit instead of leveling new toons. This way funcom wont loose the subscription over some in guild bull crap or somone trained one too many mobs at a beats raid or something of the like.
    "death comes slowly to those who anticipate it and swiftly to the unconcerned" Richard Pyott

You want a duel?.......Go play chess
    You want honor?......Go serve your country in the military

First pistol crat to reach Chief.

Proud follower of the Mexican Hat Band Cult.

If FC is willing to sell credits and gear to players, do you really think they give a cr*p about name history? All they see is $10 deposited to their account when someone wants a name change.

In store soon "show player names from the past item" 9000points

Whats wrong with playing on both sides?
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciekafsky View Post
    Whats wrong with playing on both sides?
    Sides are super serious business.
    Brofist 220/30/70 Engineer
    Techbro 220/30/70 Nano-Technician

I thought some bots keep a ID number of a toon regardless of what name it has...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    With a kite team you generaly pay for your lvls. Imo this makes it ok..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    Pocket teaming is fine to because (most of the time) players actualy step up and kill the hecklers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    OST is actually a good thing. In many Ely heck teams where there is a pocket the rest of the team sits around and chats every once in awhile.

They just need to provide a searchable log of all recorded name changes.

Search for current name, it shows you what the previous one was.
    Search for that previous name, and shows you what the one before it was.
    etc.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

wtb a way to track chars. history beyond the name change, overlooking this issue by Fc was a huge mistake,,,
    The most obvious MB on Rubi-Ka
    Insane666 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Soldier Insanity669 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage Doc Insanity699 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage MP
    Insanity696 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Bureaucrat Insane669 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Fixer Insanity666 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage NT

Insane699 ( 164/22 ) Solitus Trader Insane969 ( 150/20 ) S10 Trox Smurf

Omni-Tek
    Hells Hero for a decade, now a Punk
    spreading insanity all over rk, since 2005

Why was this option added when there was no way to track the original name?
    I was going to say something about incremental cash transactions for FC and the fact that the developers don't actually play the game that they are developing. At least, not like we do. But I'm trying to take the high road.

Oh wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Insane666 View Post
    wtb a way to track chars. history beyond the name change, overlooking this issue by Fc was a huge mistake,,,
    Yeah. Just make it so we can see the history of the toons that change names. Some ppl have gotten scammed HARD by some nasty ppl out there. We don't need the same ppl to be subjected to those amoebas yet again.

Diferent people play AO (to say it like that) and one just have to deal with that...a lot of times botadmins for example can do group-harassment, spread lies etc (I actually have a list of names but I choosed not to reveal it) against individuals for various purposes and reasons.

So once the harm is done it can be a good thing for those players.

Bad side is of course that black market folks and scammers etc gets harder to spot, but they and their methods are easy to avoid anyway. My 2 credats

What listed here can't you do by getting a new (even free) account?
    Only stupid people will give -you- all their toon names..
    Seriously, if you 'require' your friends to give you all their toon names, I don't think you are much of a friend. 2ndly they might lie and have secret toons..

So.. what you say has no meaning, people THANKFULLY can play the game as they like, without having someone stalking their every move..

I cherish the right to be anonymous, to have a break from org activities and have fun.
    What side the toon is, does not matter at all..
    If you are so much into RolePlaying that you think side matters, you should have read the golden rule of RP: each toon has a different personality, they are different even-though it is the same player behind two toons.

So how many ninja looters and E-bayers are there?
    How many have you meet?

and how many stalkers, annoying people and false or personal rumours have you heard?

I have heard from WAY more of the 2nd category.
    and you forget the fact that FC of cause knows of name-changes, so if you petition the ninja-loot, they can keep track of it, rather than you policing all your friends to spot might-be alt accounts of someone ninja-looting 7 years ago...

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

cool story,now,lets remove names completely then.
    or name everybody Unnamed.

Quote Originally Posted by police View Post
    cool story,now,lets remove names completely then.
    or name everybody Unnamed.
    Just change everyone to their char ID, and show first and last names.

Ninja "123456789" Looter

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    Just change everyone to their char ID, and show first and last names.

Ninja "123456789" Looter
    I am not a number, I am a free man!!

++ using really old skool quote in context!

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post

I doubt your CharID is 6 though

FC never cared about scammers and disrupters, never will. This is the more intelligent answer you will get (and at least you got an answer):

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post

1. Make a new character on your account, or a froob acct.
    2. Add all the thieves/scammers/snerts/etc to your buddy list.
    3. Check that character occasionally (AORC?) to see if any of them have changed names.
    4. Alert the world.
    Famous "Azzamis" Pants -- 220/30/68 Soldier -- Retired

CosmicOsmo #465 -- N.A. Starcraft 2 -- sc2ranks
    Daesis Wrack -- EVE Online -- killboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast