Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rallying Cry for Part Time Players Rights!

Post Rallying Cry for Part Time Players Rights!

The AO community has had the benefit of many proffesional and semi proffesional players making valuable contributes to the community at large... i.e. the development of websites, how-to guides, tradeskill spoilers, maps, tools, bots, etc...

I tend to view these in 2 catagories:

1) Patron Saints... i.e. no conditions attached to the use of thier wares... they provide them 'as is' with no conditions attached for the enjoyent of the community at large. These guys rule! Virtually every full time and part time player ingame has benefited greatly from thier efforts...

2) Sided Patrons... i.e. they provide their wares... but conditionally require they be used in a manner that best supports what they think benefits their faction (at large) best... Without a doubt this provides valuable benefits to the community... but tends to favor Zerg guilds / full time players vs. Non towered guilds / part time players... (The recent 'community' decision to shut down Bnet during 140+ tower battles being 1 case in point... Point based rolls vs. Flat rolls being another...).

Why I am so concerned with being an advocate of what benefits part time players best? Because I think the ingame content can support Both full time and part time players... because I think that the part time player base greatly out numbers the full time player base... and because I think that it is important to help provide content to the part time player bases... to encourage New Blood to join the community... so that the AO community does not stalemate and eventually die.

Face it... at some point when new PAID subscription rates declines below the 'magical' cut off... then we will be a dying community and the Servers Will Be shut down. Period. They are already starting to pipe Paid Advertisements ingame to milk out the extra $$$. It is not a question of if AO is profitable... hell... profitable business are shut down all the time because they dont' make a Premium Profit... It is all a question of what FC decides is an exceptable amount of profit... Only time will tell if the new $$ angles (like ingame advertisements) will make a serious difference...

But in the meanwhile... I think it very important to ensure that content is made available to new / part time players... and they should be given the benefit of access to content ingame regardless of what the zerg guilds are doing or if there are tower battles going on... to this end I think that the 'Patron Saints' contributions are more valuable that the 'Sided Patrons' in the grand scheme of things...

For a long time I've been a cheerleader of community rules (in associaton with the use of bots, conduct during raids, guild policing of its own members, etc) for the benefit and enjoyment of the community at large for fair access to game content.

But recently I have been disturbed by ingame trends that conditionally restrict player access to content. No, I'm not talking about the timeshare agreements that have come about... I favor timesharing... as in the grand scheme of things timesharing makes it Easier for full and part time players to have access to content. And no... I'm not whining about griefers, trainers, ninja looters being banned from a raidbot... I fully support banning A-holes that grief a raid... if you grief a raid... then you should be banned from the bot... and at least get an FC enforced 1 week vacaton from the game...

What I am talking about is the existing Zerg Guilds / players / raid leaders / Patrons (that develop, provide, and host various tools and bots) restricting access to game content if the (part time) players don't do things their way...

People pay to play the game to have fun. Not everyone has the same idea of what is fun (granted... that tends to change on a day by day basis...) and not everyone has the TIME ingame to support their faction in all its endevours...

Case in point: Say some part time players only get to play about 10 - 12 hours a week. The highlight of gameplay that they have been looking forward to the past several days is Friday / Saturday night when they get to spend 3 - 4 hours ingame. (Kids are at grandmothers, wife / hubby is watching a movie or out with friends, and they Finally get to have to peace to themselves and play the game... {No... not married, don't have kids... so don't be a jerk with the silly flames} That part time player is about to spend 1/3 to 1/2 of their total weekly game time online Friday or Saturday...

Now... they log in... and they REALLY Want to do a Pande raid... they have been trying to get T3 glyphs... because as a part time plalyer they can never afford to buy em off the forums (unless they bought credits off of ebay... another EVIL!) and they have been trying for a several weeks now to get T3 loot...

Now... they have logging ingame and joined the raid... and BAM half way into the raid the bot is shut down to 'encourage' everyone to go pvp in support of a 140+ base... And a good chunk of their gaming time has just been shot to hell...

Can you see the point I'm trying to illustrate? It is not about PvP vs. Lootwhoring. It is not about side xpbonus... It is not about supporting your facton... It is not about Zerg guild vs. Non towered guild... It is not about flat rolls vs point rolls... Although ALL of These Things Are Impacted by It...

It is about the inheriant conflict of the interest of part time players vs. full time players...

If New / Part Time players keep trying for several weeks on end to play the game... but keep hitting their head against the proverbial brick wall... then the time comes when it just isn't fun anymore and they cancel their subscriptions or opt not to become a paying subscriber...

And that is part of the reason I went on a rant in other threads recently saying that content is content is content, and that taking part in Any given content shouldn't be conditional on what is happening with Other content ingame...
    And it is also part of the reason I got my feathers ruffled about the idea of members / patrons of the zerg community playing god... and having a SERIOUS impact on the game play of EVERY paying member of said community...

We need to find a way to better welcome New / Part time players into the fold... of ensuring Fair Access to game content to ALL players... and to unconditionally seperate ingame content (i.e. keep the various RK contents, NW contents, SL contents, and AI contents Seperate in how they are supported, and the access to content unconditional what other players / contents are doing) instead of having them all Lump Summed under one rallying banner called the 'Do as We Tell You or you will be Banned from Content... You LootWhore/Ganker/PvPWhore/Whatever...'.

I think it is that time of year again to review / revamp the community rules... to encourage guild mergers... to have a serious discussion of providing content to everyone without denying content to anyone...

By default... Bnet and the other tools bots should Remain the Primary Means of players having access to content... But if Bnet or other bots / tools are shut down, because a perceived 'majority' of players wish it that way... then we should have a Serious Discussion hammering out a means for the perceived 'minority' of players to have access to content regardless what everyone else is doing.

So... as part of that process, at a minimum, I think we need to develop some rules establishing what rights to content the 'minority' have... under what conditions Alternative Raids (and such) can be conducted when the Primary Means are shut down... and under what conditions Banishment / Penalties will be imposed for those that want to Raid or PvP when a majority of the community chooses to do otherwise...

I think that the ingame content and the player base community is large enough that Everyone can Play and Enjoy the game without infringing on the rights of other paying customers (i.e. denying them access to content)... Surely we can do something to ensure that all get to enjoy their time ingame...

/me prostrates herself and pays homage to the Patron Saints, Sided Patrons, Zerg Guilds, Raid Leaders, and all Guild leaders...

Please help...

Edit: Clarification for those whom get confused on the complexities of my position...

Bots / Tools ingame traditionally have and should continue to be used to ENABLE fair and easy access to content. However... due to the more and more powerful bots / tools being introduced into the game... there is a growing threat and potential impact of these bots / tools being used to DENY people access to fair and easy access to content.

New players / part time players / any player whom does not wish to be 'part of the herd' are at a serious disadvantage here...

Quote Originally Posted by Fixerspy
    I'm really uncomfortable with members of the paying community being elevated to God status and then Exercising an Extremely Powerful Impact on game play by dictating whom can have access to game content / when that content will or will not be available to the entire community / under what conditions access to content is granted / (and here is the big one) Permanently Banning Paying Customers from having access to content if they don't do things 'your way' ...

At this point I'm doing my best to have a discussion with you and others about this impact... but if that doesn't work then what else is one to do?
    If there are to be Gods ingame... then I prefer they be like the Gods of Old... i.e. Helpbot, Clicksavor, IGN, etc... I prefer my Gods to be Benelovent... helping the community at large by providing unconditional and unrestricted fair and easy access to content...

At this point... the Fact is that Roedran and the Zerg leaders / Raid leaders now have God Power over virtually all of the contents ingame... and use player rules and contracts to justify Perma Banning anyone whom wants to use an alternative bot / tool to have access to content.

I have nothing against Roedran or other community leaders. I have no problems with timesharing. I have no problems with Bnet or any of the other bots / tools continuing to be the Primary Means to help enable access to content... but I do have a problem when the power they have can Deny access to content for the entire community and / or a group of individuals.

If members of a Raid wish to leave for PvP... they should be able to... and those whom stay to continue raid can LFM... if they don't find more... then they will automactically be forced to wait until more people are free to join / rejoin raid. Why shut Bnet down?

If someone wants to PvP during a Raid... why are you / have you threatened them with banishment from raidbots for daring to pvp whilst raid was ongoing?

If Bnet is Shut Down and NOT supporting Pande content... you still have the balls to threaten to banish Anyone that tries to Raid Pande anyways?

My apologies for picking on Roedran and Bnet... I have nothing against them and hope they continue to Enable access to content for a long time to come. However... I have been using the Bnet situation to illustrate the point I'm trying to make...

FC should be the only power that decides the how and whys to access game content. Gods in the player community have started to cross the thin line of being unconditional benelovent benefactors of the community... to the very real danger of becoming EgoManiacWhores that dictate how every paying customer must play the game. Power corrupts. Absolute Power corrupts Absolutely.

And when it comes to having your time ingame restricted on how and when access to content is granted to you By other Paying Players whom happen to be Gods... then the Part Time / New players are at a serious disadvantage here...

We need to review player rules... and we need to review ensuring Everyone has Fair Unrestricted Access to Content.

Using Player Rules to Justify Denying Content to players... in a manner similar to what the Bnet/PvP situation has become... is Unacceptable. It goes Too Far and crosses the line...
    Let the majority of players enjoy the content they wish. But don't force the minority of players to join / log / sit and jerk off while waiting for you to give them permission to play the game...

2nd edit... Roedran has indicated in another thread that he hopes the Bnet/PvP situation is a short lived dynamic ingame. I'm looking forward to seeing if the Bnet / PvP rules are modified in a few weeks...

but... Bnet/pvp drama as an illustration aside... lets get back on track...

Lets do the annual review of part time vs. full time player conflicts... lets find a way to provide game content for Both... whislt being careful not to abuse the playerbase with the power of the new tools and contracts.

We've already had several massive exits from the game due in large part to complaints of FC screwing up delivered content. Lets avoid the mistake of creating a mass exit from the game by people fed up with other Players screwing up the content...
    Last edited by fixerspy; Mar 4th, 2005 at 22:37:32.
    Join Us!
    You know you want too!
    Now Recruiting Players of All Levels and Expansions!
    Newbie & Noob & Froob Players Welcome!

Yet another seemingly long and pointless thread from fixerspy, \o/

Yeah usually I just skip them but this one seemed to have an interesting point---that the game should be easier to play for casual players. That I can agree with.

But then it's about the whole bot thing and PvP, which really doesn't have anything to do with casual vs non-casual. (I.e. non-casual can be "loot-whores", and casual players can like PvP) So if you usually skip her posts, feel free to continue..

I didn't read everything, but I aggree that PvP-whores shouldn't dictate raid schedules of everyone else.
    Pompidou, Vanguard - Setup
    Zitrone, Deity (?) - PvP PvM

AO PvP Guide for beginners (by Silentslash)
    Waiting for LostEden... if it ever comes out!

Well Fixerspy almost always writes a book when he/she doesn't get him/hers ways. Or if he/she doesn't agree with something. Would be nice if he/she could sum up what needs to be said.

Back on topic. Make your own bots do your own thing. No one else here really give a $hit what you do. Just know that if you want to raid and do other things outside of the voted on Clan bots/ways there is no coming back. You make a choice and you live with it. Any casual player can raid and what not just as everyone else we state the times of Bnet raids every clearly. If a Pand raid get shutdown due to the tower wars everyone suffers not just the casual player. BUT it gets shut down for an overall good cause which in opinions of the majority of clan is more important that some loot on an NPC raid that will be there tomorrow and the next day and so on. Please do Clan a favor and take one of your feet and shove it in your mouth.
    Originally Posted by Katth
    Infusion is an idiot, nuff said.

Originally Posted by SPOTY_DNW
    I have a dream....
    A dream of a patch which include no new content, but 75% of our very,very old bugs are fixed.

Expert - Evilshot BS junkie
    Apprentice - Infusion99 Converted Tradeskiller
    Rookie - Solshot TL5 Twink
    Rookie - Infus TL3 Twink in progress

Sure.... nice and long post! :P Didnt read it though, you forget most of us have better things to do
    ex

Summary

In a nutshell...

Everyone should be able to continue having access to content regardless of plot line, faction, tower wars, etc...

To do otherwise will force another mass exit from the game because people get fed up being told they can't play the game / have content because there is a tower war going on...

And if you think that the raid leaders or others really represent the majority of plalyers ingame... then I have some nice stuff to sell you. By default most just go along because the reality is There Is No Other Choice.

Now... Since There Is No Other Choice... I'm trying to have a engaging converstaton here ASKING the Gods ingame to please have a better appreciation of the impact they are having on the game, and to try to be considerate to others.

/me slams a ql 250 intelligence implant into your forehead.

god... are this many people really this dense? stupid flammers. kthanksbye

/me grids out
    Join Us!
    You know you want too!

2nd summary

um... 'k. no wanna pvp fixie... got pvp alts, can wack em gud... um... 'k me wanna raid / level whack mobs... um... 'k me tinks more people wanna raid / level / whack mobs... um... 'k me thinks other people also have alts for pvp can wack em gud.

/me wrinkles up brow... listening to community Gods telling her and her friends that they can not raid now... that they must go pvp...

me no wanna wack em gud pvp. me wack em gud yesterday with alt. me wanna raid / level / whack mob...

/me scratches her chin listening to the Gods telling her No again...

um... me no whack mob? me wanna whack mob! me can whack mob gud gud... me no wanna wack pvp... me wack pvp yesterday...

/loop
    Last edited by fixerspy; Mar 4th, 2005 at 23:05:45.
    Join Us!
    You know you want too!

Please summarize in 1 line.

Let me guess?
    "I don't want to be forced to PvP since I am a loot whore but I'd like tower bonuses nonetheless - ramblerambleramble"
    Rimor - Omni - Hater of Neuts - Inactive since ehm... a long time ago

220/19 Scerrifo - Adventurer - "Screw you guys, I'm going home"

Mikura: And unlike you...I do "get" the agg bar...its simple...you find a heckler...set the agg bar...wack it till its dead....see how long it took you to kill it...find another heckler....change your agg bar...wack it till its dead....see how long it took to kill it...

randomletter: Which advs exactly know more than me and are better than me? (Guide as to why he is the best Adv)

anyone who actually wants to engage in an actual converstation is more than welcome to post in my thread.

all you other wanna be paper gankers forum flammers can go **** yourselves.
    Join Us!
    You know you want too!

Damn I got owned.

ps. you can start your own bots, create your own org and be 100% PvM. Wtf are you whining about?
    Rimor - Omni - Hater of Neuts - Inactive since ehm... a long time ago

220/19 Scerrifo - Adventurer - "Screw you guys, I'm going home"

Mikura: And unlike you...I do "get" the agg bar...its simple...you find a heckler...set the agg bar...wack it till its dead....see how long it took you to kill it...find another heckler....change your agg bar...wack it till its dead....see how long it took to kill it...

randomletter: Which advs exactly know more than me and are better than me? (Guide as to why he is the best Adv)

FYI.........Fixerspy we had this same conversation many times in the life of AO. Last was for Tara and before that it was Mercs. Guess what no mass exit of people. Guess what those people still to this day do what they like. Guess what start a new thread that hasn't been gone over to death. This $hit gets old. You pay to play so do so in your own way. Just don't use the same bot 80% of clan does. Rally your own folks. Enjoy your stay on RK goodbye.

I have a dream....
    A dream of a patch which include no new content, but 75% of our very,very old bugs are fixed.

been there done that.

i've ran several guilds and have hosted several private ign type bots.

Currently I and several of my friends that have played 3+ years just want to focus on leveling / raiding / 220/30 ding this year.

And we have had quite a few new part time subcribers (ever hear of trying to support the game by getting others involved?) quit the game because of concerns of how difficult it is to gain access to content.

Last time we had that many new people quit was when the Ebay crap got out of hand a while back. And yes I posted an Anti Ebay rant at that time too.

I have nothing against people / guilds (especially in eastern europe or other impoverished countries) trying to have some fun AND put food on the table by playing the game... but lets keep it balanced.

Now... why would it be needed to have an emergency measure to shut down Bnet when 140+ towers are attacked... Are there that few 150+ 200+ players left still ingame? What does that say?

It is extremely important that we take measure to ensure content for all... to keep the interest of fresh blood from being discouraged. We need fresh blood to keep this community alive and well... and the only way to ensure that is (with the blessings of the Gods) to ensure the best damn access to content that the community can provide.

Last fall I said I might start up another guild / private bots / etc sometime this coming summer... but I would really like to ding 220/30 on this toon before I invest all my time nuturing newcomers. At this rate it will be next winter before that happens...
    Last edited by fixerspy; Mar 4th, 2005 at 23:35:27.
    Join Us!
    You know you want too!

THe reason Bnet needs to be shut down is because a mass attack take as many people as you can get to defend. Yes when this happens many won't come that's expected. Not all people enjoy PvP. But we as a clan community aren't going to give people more of a reason not to coem help in PvP. One way you do that is shut down the bots for PvM. It's not the best solution but clan hasn't shown they can handle tower defense and NPC raids at the same time so for the time being it has to be one or the other. Sorry

I have a dream....

Fix as much as I here from your Rping side, id assume that youd actually like pvp and conflicts between clan and omni. Now all of sudden here you are posting crap like this about how players tell others what to do. Seriously, if you dont like the way your leaders or org are handling things, the best thing you should go is create your own org with friends and do raids and such on your own. I believe that the majority of players rather support thier side then worry about some loot they can probably get the next day. I know I do.
    Remember Clammies,

OMNI-TEK IS YOUR FRIEND

gunsaber... hee. glad you dropped by.

as for pvp... normally i do that on alts. only thing a fixer is good for at high level pvp is a buff / taxi service... or being a huge fat target... which normally isn't that bad because it is fun to run around and harass people... but once they land NSD... game over. no gridding to safety... hello reclaim.

Now... a 215+ fixer with the best loot and gear... that is a different story. I just got the 215... now I need the loot.

But this thread really isn't about me... it is about Game Content for Everyone.
    Join Us!
    You know you want too!

Quote Originally Posted by fixerspy
    gunsaber... hee. glad you dropped by.

as for pvp... normally i do that on alts. only thing a fixer is good for at high level pvp is a buff / taxi service... or being a huge fat target... which normally isn't that bad because it is fun to run around and harass people... but once they land NSD... game over. no gridding to safety... hello reclaim.

Now... a 215+ fixer with the best loot and gear... that is a different story. I just got the 215... now I need the loot.

But this thread really isn't about me... it is about Game Content for Everyone.
    So your saying your useless in mass pvp, bull****ing$hit. Every proffesion has a role in mass pvp wheter you choose to or not believe it. The power of fixer roots is good enough in mass pvp. I know it will work on me seeing as im a trox with no kinds of evades and a crappy NR. Its better for you to be there and support your allies in battle because if you help them, they will most likely help you with someting you need.
    Remember Clammies,

OMNI-TEK IS YOUR FRIEND

Step 1: Form your own non-pvping org for casual players, let's call it The Casuals for the purposes of this thread.

Step 2: Recruit enough high lvl Casuals who see things as you do in order to be able to conduct your own Pande raids.

Step 3: Wait for a big high level battle to happen during Clan Pande week at the same time as you have enough Casuals on to conduct a successfull Pande raid.

Step 4: Conduct a successful Casual Pande raid, fervently hoping all the time that the battle will last until you can get safely to Beast.

Step 5: All Casuals are banned from Bnet, but that's ok, because you now know that you can do Pande all on your own, as long as there is a big battle on during Clan Pande week AND enough of your Casuals are on to be able to raid.

There, that's all you have to do to get things your own way Fixerspy. Five easy to follow steps, although maybe not quite so easy to execute.

And may I be the first to wish you good luck on your endeavor to make Rimor more casual friendly.
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

blablablablabla cry me a river.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast