Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Area of Effect (AoE)

Area of Effect (AoE)

Main profession that has this? NT. What do they lack? Weapons because of their deck.
    A few others can have some effect but not really.

I always visualised NTs as DPS / nano profession tank. (Should be able to just burn nano then HP into absorbing damage.)

Point is, either give every profession a AoE attack or fix the few that have it so they don't anymore. I would rather that AoE was removed and grey mobs ran away from CH and mongo agg.
    How could they give AoE to other professions? "Spray of bullets" and "Whirlwind of blades."

Cap AoE nukes at 1 second.
    Last edited by Jenshey; Nov 5th, 2009 at 20:04:18.
    Please make androgynous Atroxes. (Yes, Jen, this is you main sl00b account, (since you can't tell toons from acc page but can see forum name))
    Make opifex ears more pointy in the new engine.
    Venachar: Taking feedback from this forum would be like starting a bottled water company, sourced from Chernobyl.

You post makes no sense to me. It looks like random things put together.
    You stated your point, but not why you thought that was needed or necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshey View Post
    Point is, either give every profession a AoE attack or fix the few that have it so they don't anymore.
    Fix?

I think we need to fix enforcers, they have taunts we should fix them and the few other professions that do so they don't.

We need to give everyone Heals or fix doctors and advs and MA's so they don't have them anymore.

Crats are broken, they have AoE Calms and not every other profession has them, lets fix them too.

Agents can swap sides without losing tokens and can change their profession. We need to fix them so they don't or give everyone the ability to swap professions and switch sides without losing tokens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    I once got petitioned for "impersonating FC personal" for claiming I ran helpbot.

Compare effect. Somehow and this might be a strange idea, I don't think kiting was a planned "tactic" since it is exploiting the weaknesses in the mechanic of the mobs and their AI. The others you mention are not.
    Please make androgynous Atroxes. (Yes, Jen, this is you main sl00b account, (since you can't tell toons from acc page but can see forum name))
    Venachar: Taking feedback from this forum would be like starting a bottled water company, sourced from Chernobyl.

Why should everyone have AOE attacks? AO professions are not 14 balls of randomly shaped clay, they're like 14 elements in the periodic table: each of them different in their own way and create the structure of the game.

Interestingly though, here's the AOE effects that each profession has:

Adventurer: Pit Lizard nuke, area calms
    Agent: ... FP NT?
    Bureaucrat: Mass Layoffs, area snares, area roots, area calms
    Doctor: [none]
    Enforcer: Bring the Pain, Seismic Smash
    Engineer: [none]
    Fixer: Cluster Bullets, area snares
    Keeper: Purify
    Martial Artist: Angel of Night
    Meta-Physicist: [none]
    Nano-Technician: Volcanic Eruption, Kel's Neutronium Plaything, Mastablasta's Cataclysm, Boil Blood
    Shade: [none]
    Soldier: Clipfever
    Trader: area roots

Only Doctors, Engineers, Metas and Shades have no area "attack" to call their own.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

My question is why should anyone have AoE attacks [sic: and damage]?

Give them AoE mezz or team shielding or something, rather.

My question is why should anyone have AoE attacks [sic: and damage]?
    Because we can.

There. I answered your question. Why does modern military use grenades, or rockets, or bombs? Because it does a **** ton of damage over a large area and is great for taking out people who cluster together.

Strength in numbers, heard that one? Grenades are the counter, AoEs are designed to make it so that you can't just blob 20 people together and roll over everything.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Good.

Now why can't a person with two swords stab two targets or slash at more than one when surrounded? Why don't the machine guns make a spread that downs more than one foe? Why do the grenade guns not have AoE damage?

Good.

Now why can't a person with two swords stab two targets or slash at more than one when surrounded? Why don't the machine guns make a spread that downs more than one foe? Why do the grenade guns not have AoE damage?
    *shurg*

Personal preference. Balance maybe. I can think of ways its possible in AO sure, an Enforcer swinging around with a big axe while a self targeting AoE nano blasts out. Stuff like that.

The thing is, is it really needed? Is it balance when everyone has everything the same? Sure. But it's a much more interesting and fun balance when everyone has a unique way to the same result.
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor

Good.

This is a GAME, GET OVER YOURSELF.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Hecks, Borgs and AoE damage are broken. This has been a fundamental flaw in the game; either give everyone some sort of AoE damage attack then re-balance the mobs for that mess or fix the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    ... So nothing here is final, everything is malleable, and nothing - nothing - is considered untouchable. We wanna do this and do it right -

Hecks, Borgs and AoE damage are broken. This has been a fundamental flaw in the game; either give everyone some sort of AoE damage attack then re-balance the mobs for that mess or fix the game.
    So you're saying because NTs use them to kite Hecklers, we should give EVERYBODY access to AOE attacks, thereby removing one of the unique factors of NTs, or - even better - completely remove AOE mechanics from the game? Are you high?
    AOEs are not broken. The methods that are used with them are.

How about just giving Hecklers a low % chance 1 second stun? 1 second means life-and-death for kiters, and it wouldn't really affect a tank in regular leveling.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Just because nothing is considered untouchable doesn't mean everything has to be touched. There's no physical barrier blocking you from touching a pile of crap, but that doesn't change that you shouldn't really touch a pile of crap.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

Quote Originally Posted by Shonta View Post
    You post makes no sense to me. It looks like random things put together.
    Its because Jen is a bitter old crank with too much time to spare
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    Engineer: [none]
    NSD, snare and blind are all point blank area of effect nanos

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    NSD, snare and blind are all point blank area of effect nanos
    And /pet hunt (also for MPs)
    Nelle, RK2 Clan Keeper
    Triskweline, RK2 Clan NT
    Zubrus, Grumpy Old Crat

So you're saying because NTs use them to kite Hecklers, we should give EVERYBODY access to AOE attacks, thereby removing one of the unique factors of NTs, or - even better - completely remove AOE mechanics from the game? Are you high?
    AOEs are not broken. The methods that are used with them are.

How about just giving Hecklers a low % chance 1 second stun? 1 second means life-and-death for kiters, and it wouldn't really affect a tank in regular leveling.
    What I am questioning is why one character / profession gets a tool to kill more mobs than a team does in the same time. Why not give everyone that ability and just go whole play-field slaughtering crazy?

... as I said earlier, I always felt that NTs were meant to be a nano tank. Burn nano into shields and aggression building nano attacks. That their "mongo" the AoE nuke is so abused is sad. So, I would like to see them with Parry and Riposte, some shields rather than a deck, maybe give them a weapon to help build more damage agg, then a profession like MP can play doctor by recharging their nano pools, traders can boost their "tanking life" because when they run out of nano it should eat their health really fast, too fast unless they kill their tanking shield.

There would be their uniqueness and also give more importance and desire in teams for some other professions.

to fix kiting is pretty simple tbh...
    just add a 1 sec cast time cap to the AoE nukes.
    to fix pocketing is another issue... but its doable with making all mobs run when mongoed as an example.
    Moonbolt - 220/26/something. Trox Enf RK1 General of Hells Heroes.
    Renswind - 220/21/67 solitus trader.
    Moonkiss - 219/21/something opifex shade.
    Mooncloud - 150/18/somethin solitus MA.

Only Doctors, Engineers, Metas and Shades have no area "attack" to call their own.
    Doctors got battle group heal perks (4 perks) which imo is more important than area attack
    President of Mayhem (OTC)

Bureaucrat: Mass Layoffs, area snares, area roots, area calms

care to share info on where to find "Mass Layoffs" ?
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

kiting is how you play an NT that is below level 205ish. suuure you can stand still and hit something with your 2k min damage nuke every 4 seconds or like you say, spam absorbs/NS/whatever whilst standing still, but in the first scenario you will most likely not survive and in the last scenario it will take ages to kill something. and you can't compare stuff like aoe roots/calms/attacks with aoe nukes IMO.
    Dear developers,

Rock is OP, paper is fine.

-Yours faithfully, Scissors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast