Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 23rd, 2009 - Perpective and Party

Quote Originally Posted by vallikat View Post
    My friends list is longer now than it ever has been. It is more typical than not that I have to scroll to see all of my current online friends. I guess my friends are just more loyal to AO than yours are. That doesn't mean that AO is dying though.
    Loyalty is a hallmark of friendship and dogs, I do not see how that attribute applies to a game. I am probably far less social than a GSP party maven though and likely have a much different definition of "friend".

My statement applies to real friends that I still maintain a relationship with outside of AO, not a random list of people that I only know by their nickname. When real friends (my definition) stop playing, you tend to notice. I probably do not make friends as easily or quickly as you do, I am more inclined to have few close friendships as opposed to many casual ones. Apples/Oranges, and I would note that I never said AO was dying.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Oct 26th, 2009 at 09:55:57. Reason: fixed broken quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    My friends list is longer now than it ever has been. It is more typical than not that I have to scroll to see all of my current online friends. I guess my friends are just more loyal to AO than yours are. That doesn't mean that AO is dying though.
    Loyalty is a hallmark of friendship and dogs, I do not see how that attribute applies to a game. I am probably far less social than a GSP party maven though and likely have a much different definition of "friend".

My statement applies to real friends that I still maintain a relationship with outside of AO, not a random list of people that I only know by their nickname. When real friends (my definition) stop playing, you tend to notice. I probably do not make friends as easily or quickly as you do, I am more inclined to have few close friendships as opposed to many casual ones. Apples/Oranges, and I would note that I never said AO was dying.
    I'm sorry that so many of your real friends have quit playing. That must suck. However, you were responding in a discussion that was debating the current state of the game. Therefore I mistakenly assumed that you were entering the evidence of your shrunken friends list on the side of "AO is dying." I apologize if that is not what you were getting at.
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

I'm just glad not many AO players are doctors IRL.

...because the "we must merge servers" crowd would be telling patients "Hmm, stitching the cut on your finger would take too long to heal. WE NEED TO AMPUTATE THE WHOLE ARM NAO!"
    Last edited by Keldros; Oct 26th, 2009 at 03:51:53.

Roar!
    .: S P A R T A N S :.

Quote Originally Posted by Elleza View Post
    Edit: 56th! (just had to do it)
    You are 55th, not 56th. l2c
    Astarra "Esthaer" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Nanomage Engineer 220/30/70
    Maryam "Mirienne" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Solitus Engineer 220/15/60
    Member of Infinity

Mavritanic:"start this topic is your selfowning"

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    I'm just glad not many AO players are doctors IRL.

...because the "we must merge servers" crowd would be telling patients "Hmm, stitching the cut on your finger would take too long to heal. WE NEED TO AMPUTATE THE WHOLE ARM NAO!"
    worst..analogy...ever.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Quote Originally Posted by blix01 View Post
    worst..analogy...ever.
    Spoken like someone who just doesn't get it.

Merging the servers doesn't increase the population, it eliminates 1/3 (or 2/3) of the potential growth--without fixing any of the problems that caused the population to shrink in the first place. besides, more people will quit if they're forced to change servers than if they have to reroll to join a new one.

Means...you have 18M credits and you are still lazy buy better NCU mems ?
    And going full-agg. You are so offensive !
    -o--oOo--o--
    Yama*007
    -o--oOo--o--

Quote Originally Posted by EIS View Post
    you are still lazy buy better NCU mems ?
    why should he since he can selfbuff this which require 1 ncu at all.
    127.0.0.1 sweet 127.0.0.1

*** Defence of Liberty ***
    welcome to the neutrals

Quote Originally Posted by stormranger View Post
    why should he since he can selfbuff this which require 1 ncu at all.
    I think this nano is becoming a bit outdated.

Might have been uber in the past. If you'd give it to some profs today, half of the forum dwellers would still whine it ain't good enough.
    Zirkonium 220 Nanomage Engineer - RK2 - Omni
    Mereditche 170 Opifex Agent - RK2 - Omni
    Misfiled 49 Nanomage Enforcer - RK2 - Omni (First! Mongo Smash!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mereditche View Post
    I think this nano is becoming a bit outdated.
    in combination with this and some of those i think it's up to date
    127.0.0.1 sweet 127.0.0.1

*** Defence of Liberty ***
    welcome to the neutrals

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Spoken like someone who just doesn't get it.

Merging the servers doesn't increase the population, it eliminates 1/3 (or 2/3) of the potential growth--without fixing any of the problems that caused the population to shrink in the first place. besides, more people will quit if they're forced to change servers than if they have to reroll to join a new one.
    ....and you base this assumption of quitting if forced to move rather than choosing to regrind a massive load of crap on what? Eh?

There isnt enough population influx to counter the attrition rate on two servers. RK1 was slowly bleeding out due to attrition, it was getting bad.. very bad. Because the influx of people who were new and didnt use the default server was small, very small. I recall the slow but sure ghost towning of RK1.. Right now its happening to RK2. Our influx is small, our attrition is high. RK1 people right now say: Everything is fine. Before RK1 people said, AO IS DEATH DEATH!

The point is that this proves our lack of sufficient population growth to sustain 2 servers at functional levels, let alone 3. I have characters on both servers (actually all 3), and I tell you RK1 is hoppin compaired to RK2, which is dead most of the time. There is just no way in HELL I am going to refarm BILLIONS on BILLIONS OF CREDITS and 8 full sets of 300 AI armor, let alone my 4 or so sets ecompasing 150s, and 210s. Plus all my supporting alts and buffing alts and tradeskilling alts.... oh yeah and all my NODROPS. I am 90% socializer.. I spent a good 2 hours chatting it up with an old buddy in the Ado garden turning down teams because both of us were interested more in talking than bashing rocks. I had just resubbed last night, thanks to the wife not wanting to leave and dragging my carcase back to AO time and time again. To me an empty server with no one to talk to IS death. Socializing>everything else. And having to burn my socializing time releveling, reGRINDINGMYASSOFF to start on a server with life in it... screw that.

And to Windguard.... well Yes, I want the new engine NOW. I am not asking for instant gratification when I say that, because I have been waiting for 3 years now. Sure they changed engines 3 times. What they had in the "still alive" video is more advanced than what they have in the current screen from the AoC engine.. so we are still less far along than we were 3 years ago. Now, what we are ahead on is all the little niggly bits that also needed to get done.. however, even if we had stuck with the first try engine..we still would have all those niggly bits as far along as we ahve them today... therefore we are actually not going anywhere fast. The latest screenshot was primitive, with terrible shadows vs teh very nice shadows of Game Engine Upgrade 1.0.. and this is Game Engine Upgrade 3.0.

-We should have had a new engine by now
    -We still would be were we are today with the codebase advancement if we had stuck with 1.0
    -We DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH NEW PLAYERS TO POPULATE 2 servers. We have the influx for 1.. not 2. In the hayday of explosive growth of '04 we had plenty.
    -People do not like playing a "team oriented game" on nearly empty servers.
    -Socializing used to be great back in the day. I played then too on another account. Soo much social activity. Now there is so much damned grind to do that people have not time to just relax. Everyone is fixayed, eye on the prize....terrible really. I watched the "social" bleed out of the game replaced with an ever longer and more annoying and tiring grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by blix01 View Post
    worst..analogy...ever.
    Here's a better analogy. You don't move the population from one sinking ship to another without first patching the damn hole.

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    -We should have had a new engine by now
    If there's one thing that's abundant on this forum it's people who think that they can judge that which they have never partaken in. An engine isn't some simple program you make in high school, it's not something that consists of a few thousand lines and you're done. We're probably talking at least tens of thousands (plural) of lines just for the engine. That takes time.

Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick two.

I for one would like Good and Cheap (as Good and Fast doesn't appear to fit in FCs budget) so I'm willing to wait a while. Goodness knows the community first complains about Funcom being slow and then complains about ****ty, rushed work. Here's a tip. Stop trying to rush them.

-We DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH NEW PLAYERS TO POPULATE 2 servers. We have the influx for 1.. not 2. In the hayday of explosive growth of '04 we had plenty.
    So lets get the players instead of just sitting here saying we don't have the players. For such "dedication" from it's customers Funcom certainly has it rough. People love to bitch and moan and complain to high heaven and back again about how Funcom is lacking and yet you're still here so something must be holding you, why not go tell your friends about that? Go tell random people. I got someone into AO just by mentioning that I played it, nothing more. It's not like it's hard.

If your buddies don't want to play because the graphics suck, then they need to learn that graphics aren't everything. If they don't want to play because the population is low, then they need to learn that they aren't helping the issue by not sticking around. How do we get more people? People have to come in and stay. If everyone just says "Oh there's not enough I'm leaving" they'll never be enough no matter if we have the new engine or merged servers or not.

-People do not like playing a "team oriented game" on nearly empty servers.
    Some people don't like playing it on full servers. Funcom's mistake was attempting to force everyone into one style of gameplay.

-Socializing used to be great back in the day. I played then too on another account. Soo much social activity. Now there is so much damned grind to do that people have not time to just relax. Everyone is fixayed, eye on the prize....terrible really. I watched the "social" bleed out of the game replaced with an ever longer and more annoying and tiring grind.
    That is their choice. Yes shiny prizes tend to distract but unless you are predisposed towards wanting some reward it wont matter to you. I do however agree that socializing should become a larger part of what the game allows without making you fall permanently behind (see team oriented instances etc once everyone has gone through and you sat talking to long and missed the boat).

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/Dyo_K/SLMap.jpg

Take a look at that Funcom, that's the world map of Second Life the game that is, well, socializing. Anyone care to count the green dots? According to statistics there are currently about 64,000 people logged into Second Life at this moment. 64,000 people logging in just to play a game that has no inherent combat system and revolves totally around the idea of talking with others and role playing or doing business (which I seriously doubt counts for any kind of majority amongst the crowd). Walk around in the grid (SLs world) for a while and you'll find that RP/Socializing is 10:1 on business and work related things.

64,000 people are being drawn there to pay LL money just to socialize and play barbie with their avatar. Perhaps, Funcom, you can realize that your players don't want a never ending grind all the time (Something that does appear to be dawning on you somewhat, with the release of The Grind and new social armours by MstrBstrd (did I spell that right?)) and that socializing is just as fun to many people as doing BS (etc) is.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post

If there's one thing that's abundant on this forum it's people who think that they can judge that which they have never partaken in. An engine isn't some simple program you make in high school, it's not something that consists of a few thousand lines and you're done. We're probably talking at least tens of thousands (plural) of lines just for the engine. That takes time.

What do you think what it is, a magic cauldron?

It's their job and for the gfx / engine coders it actually is "a simple" program because they do these kind of things everyday - of course that doesn't mean that it's easy.

Btw the old Quake 3 has ~64k for the engine and ~52k for the renderer but the number lines of code doesn't tell anything imho. WoW is supposed to have 5.5 million lines of code.

Imho there are too few ppl working on AO.

"As things stand now, we're a three man team. Yeah, we lost two of our five man team recently. Not nearly enough manpower to get where we need to be. Rebuilding the team isn't really an option for various reasons. So, where does that leave us? Can you guess? Yes, that's right, we're going to be shutting Dungeon Runners down at the end of 2009. New Year's Eve to be exact."

The above is from a "professional" game developer:
    http://www.dungeonrunners.com/news/c...utting_do.html

But even if AO is finally shutdown like Dungeon Runners, I will have many fond memories about AO - but I hope the best.

PS
    I'm really glad AO is in the hands of Funcom because companies like NCSoft would have killed it many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldiTwo View Post
    I'm really glad AO is in the hands of Funcom because companies like NCSoft would have killed it many years ago.
    Of all of the "doom & gloom" posts that I have seen in these forums over the past 4+ years, this has to be one of most positive statements made.

Well said!
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

It's their job and for the gfx / engine coders it actually is "a simple" program because they do these kind of things everyday - of course that doesn't mean that it's easy.

Btw the old Quake 3 has ~64k for the engine and ~52k for the renderer but the number lines of code doesn't tell anything imho. WoW is supposed to have 5.5 million lines of code.
    How large the code is has a lot to do with it. It tells us just how much code you not only have to write initially but how much code you have to sift through to find one bug. When's the last time anyone here looked at a 64,000 line book? Do so, find me one sentence in it and point out the grammar or spelling error in it.

That's what bug hunting can be like when things get super large like that. The biggest thing I've ever programmed is only a measly 3,000 lines of code and it still takes me hours to find a single bug because while you may find a line you think is the issue its really that line combined with this line or that line that looks like its wrong but it was really right and holding back these two other lines that were wrong and would have blown up if not for the first line.

Imho there are too few ppl working on AO.
    Agreed. But are you willing to pay more per month so that they can hire more?
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Its not my job to bring people to AO to play it. I used to try to do that and they were very WTF about AOs bugs and slow Dev Cycle and Small Team.

If Funcom wants to PAY ME, to bring people to the game.. sure. Thats advertising.. you pay to get people to want to come play. Does AO have any? No.

As for the game engine.. Sorry. But 3 years is plenty of time to implement a game engine. The real stumbling block to the advancement speed is two pronged: Dev Team Too Small and Code Base Too Uncomment and Convoluted.

AO as a game has some behaivors and apparent techniques used to acomplish things that could be coded more streamlined and more reliable. Its like spigetti code... thousands of paths all intertwined in wierd ways. When your dev team "discovers" how something works, thats a warning sign... they shouldnt need to discover. It should be commented, documented and that documentation should have been maintained and passed down so that all the voodoo they did and still do to make things work (hacks essentially) should have been written down.

I agree, they are FINNALY REALLY MAKING HEADWAY. Impressive. But it took them 3 years to get to the "start", as a paying customer I have the right to say.. if it took you 3 years to get to the starting line.. how long to get to the finish line? 3 more? 7? 20?

I personally would like to see AO have a 20-40K subscriber Base, active. If we had that much we could hire more devs and get this ball rolling in a timely fashion. The DEVS ARE WORKING HARD. We cant deny that, but the job they have is too BIG for so few.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

I'm sorry that so many of your real friends have quit playing. That must suck. However, you were responding in a discussion that was debating the current state of the game. Therefore I mistakenly assumed that you were entering the evidence of your shrunken friends list on the side of "AO is dying." I apologize if that is not what you were getting at.
    No need for an apology, just different perspectives. I think the current state of the game is less than healthy, but not actually dying. I have never witnessed AO in a lively state actually. It just kind of cruises along, somehow.

I have seen pix of a thriving AO, but those are all from before my time. It would be very nice to see something like this again:
    http://www.dd.org/~tale/ao/screensho...annc4-full.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    No need for an apology, just different perspectives. I think the current state of the game is less than healthy, but not actually dying. I have never witnessed AO in a lively state actually. It just kind of cruises along, somehow.

I have seen pix of a thriving AO, but those are all from before my time. It would be very nice to see something like this again:
    http://www.dd.org/~tale/ao/screensho...annc4-full.jpg
    the funny thing is, back in the day, we always cursed about how specific areas were huge lag fests, due to all the people. and how something should be done about them. course, lack of people has "fixed" this. which now makes some of us which for those laggy days again.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Here's a better analogy. You don't move the population from one sinking ship to another without first patching the damn hole.
    Ok, that one makes more sense. I don't think it applies to this situation, but the analogy works.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast