Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 13th, 2009

Might want to leave the head stuff for a later addition/update. You post up a few samples of each breeds' reworked heads and you have a 200-page nit-pick thread in a day and some artists seeing their shrinks or bringing weapons to work. Let's get the engine out (and smoothed avatar bodies shouldn't cause much issue) and tackle the delicate issue of redone head models at a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by vadagget View Post
    Might want to leave the head stuff for a later addition/update. You post up a few samples of each breeds' reworked heads and you have a 200-page nit-pick thread in a day and some artists seeing their shrinks or bringing weapons to work. Let's get the engine out (and smoothed avatar bodies shouldn't cause much issue) and tackle the delicate issue of redone head models at a later time.
    Bump...less fluff, more function. My new rig is kicking and screaming for the new engine.

The new Art stuff wont delay the engine. If you read mean's first post they are working on optimization right now, the heads and models are a bonus but aren't holding it back.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    The new Art stuff wont delay the engine. If you read mean's first post they are working on optimization right now, the heads and models are a bonus but aren't holding it back.
    I did read his first post, and he didn't say that. (highlighted portion)

Coders are doing their thing while the art people are doing their thing.

Point is, coding is coding while redone heads is potentially explosive subject and a different arena altogether.

Will Leets be reworked?
    How soon will we gett a sneack peek?
    Originally Posted by Technogen:
    Shen Stick + Dshark + Remod = Quantum Nutcracker (No Prof Lock)

Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by vadagget View Post
    Point is, coding is coding while redone heads is potentially explosive subject and a different arena altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I imagine it is unlikely we will simply replace all the heads in game as all of us have some attatchment to these...but more likely offer a choice to move to a "new" head if we want...and remove the old ones from character creation so all new characters will get new heads.
    So the current plan is that the old heads aren't going to be removed as people can chose to keep their old heads on current chars. Meaning another thing they could do is just add the new style heads in char creation but leave the old ones there too. That way people can pick from the old and new versions of all the heads so no one can complain.

Add:
    Then while we're on the general topic of char creation and appearance is there any plans to adjust the char creation any? Right now you can't look at the char from multiple angles so at times what looked decent in char creation I don't like once I see it from other angles after making the char and end up deleting it.

Don't tell me you're expecting a Perk redesign any time soon... They have made almost 0 changes to perks.

Not everyone got a new weapon out of the LoX upgrades.
    Ranged advy aren't everyone they are one of the professsion who asked new useful weapon for age!

and i'm don't care that getting a change in perk didn't happen before........

sighhhh
    A suggestion to remove ranged advy full auto problem : http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=529754

pistol are now for dot user , Ranged advy need revolver :

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...6&postcount=21

omg, the baby is 4 years old and he's already saying NGAH ! Huge step, huge !

I was wondering if the artists are looking at options for BDSM users of the game? I'd love if the new heads had a got gag-ball option!
    Last edited by Alternity; Mar 13th, 2009 at 22:50:42.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Draechus View Post
    Will Leets be reworked?
    How soon will we gett a sneack peek?
    New Leets
    Aleah, MA :: Zhoie, Doctor :: Scarlett, Soldier
    Neutral, (former) President of Art of War

Dipping my toe back in, thinking of returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    For the record, this is an exploit I am totally cool with people using. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aleah View Post
    Hehe space reserved for the real new leets.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Lightbulb

Nice update, so here are my 2 cents regarding the new engine.

First, I think the priority is to get the engine FULLY WORKING out asap. The trees, and new faces, etc... should be a SECONDARY PRIORITY.

If they can get the optimization and use video card RAM instead of cpu RAM that would mean a WORLD of difference for current users, and bring AO more up to current standards.

Now I hope the original meshes for AO were more high res than they are now, I think artists create high quality work, but have to reduce size and quality so that the current engine does not choke with "omg too much to process, lag... lag.. lag". I may be wrong on this, maybe Means can answer that. If I am correct, then all they would need to do is replace the old meshes with the original meshes and the game would look better.

As for faces, I was hoping that they would introduce a more flexible character creation process, not one with just a set of 371 faces, 3 height and 3 weight options... there are thousands of gamers... and too many are "clones" of one another.

Call me a dreamer, but I have always visualized the creation process with sliding bars to adjust face features, like jaw, cheeks, nose, forehead, eyebrows, ears, mouth, and palette options for eye/hair color and hair style. This would make the game much more appealing from the start with a highly custom made option for avatars.

If this is not possible, then the original 371 faces need to be updated to be more smooth but close to the original, the face I just saw needs work.

Why?

The original face was more sexy, the new one looks like a schoolgirl that just came from church. Also the new face... the eyes, it appears as if she is surprised while the original one does not have that look. The new one also doesn't look as feminine as the original one, the artist exchanges the lips of Angelina Jolie with that of a nun....

Lots of the avatars are appealing because they are SEXY, while others are appealing because they fit with the sci-fi theme that the game has, like the nanomages with no lips, eyes, etc.

It would be a challenge to either create a customizable new creation process or new avatar heads (and hopefully bodies as well)... but I think the Dev Team has the skills and is up to the task.

But like I said from the start, get the CORE engine working 100% and then throw it at us!

The community has the patience to wait for mesh and new feature updates (hell we have been doing that for several years already), just get the engine out the door Means, that is what the community wants I believe.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Putting out the new engine before new models would be financial suicide for this game.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Putting out the new engine before new models would be financial suicide for this game.
    Well if they just go with 371 avatars and maybe just the 9 body types (3 height x 3 weight) that alone will takes an artist a long time if they are doing anything close to the new face... I'm talking months, even with 2-3 artists.

If they go the better route which is a new character creation feature which is much more flexible, probably 3-6 months because that is more based on coding than art i think.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is such a work in prgress the artists are a bit pissed I posted it already. This render is a couple hours later.
    Much nicer! I hope I didn't ruin anybody's day. :/ I know it was a basic model. Sorry artists! Keep up the good work!

Definitely Agree. Releasing a new engine before goodies would only benefit current subscribers. Releasing the whole thing as a shiny new package with bells and whistles would make some froobs go paid and attract new attention/business. As much as I want it sooner rather than later, I think if FC wants to optimize some cash flow, wait until everything is done, put in in a shiny box (in real stores) and get it sold the right way (ofc still just have the update version for us current players).

You guys get get it all... OMG my toon is hawt!!! Blahh blahh... Makes me think I run round with a bunch of transvestites or something... How about letting us girls get something better to look at for a change? Say Sam Elliots smile with Patrick Swayze head... Oh and the chest of Mel Gibson.... And his backside... Oh yeah and be able to dress him in a proper firemans stuff... Red suspenders with no shirt... Yeah yeah now we are talken... Hey FunCom hire me to do the artwork!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Nice update, so here are my 2 cents regarding the new engine.

First, I think the priority is to get the engine FULLY WORKING out asap. The trees, and new faces, etc... should be a SECONDARY PRIORITY.

i'm still confused how people insist on thinking of AO having only 1 developer that does everything.

cause Means never mentioned, therefor its implied that they have the graphics people are doing these new tress and faces, cause really, what else would they be working on now that Xan is out?

the optimizing of the new graphics engine is still up to the people who have been working on it all this time.

funcom is a multi-threaded company people!

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Since we're on this kick about graphics and funcom being multi threaded and what not, how about we get some attention on the fact that many higher end graphics cards aren't being recognized by AO such at this thread: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...53#post5452653

is there any comment about new cards working in the new engine?

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast