Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: now toon cant do anything

Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    UAC is meant to annoy you so that you stop using a user with administrator rights and do what you should, which means using a standard user and only doing administration things when required.
    This general "pampering" of users has led to them being uneducated in safe computer use, what company like Norton wants their user to be smart and get a free virus scanner combined with knowledge when they could say "YOU'RE AT RISK ZOMG LIKE GET OUR PROGRAM AND BE SAFE" and make money?

So Funcom could do some changes, my info was wrong, but that still doesn't make things like running as admin inherently unsafe. Getting out of a bed can be unsafe. The way we all survive is asses the risks and use appropriate knowledge to make the proper procedural decision such as putting your feet down first rather then your head.

Here's my thing.

It's my PC. And I do not take kindly to anyone telling me what I should or shouldn't do with it. In all the time I've owned and operated a computer, which is a fair few years, I've run it as admin (with UAC disabled) and never had any issues with viruses or trojans. The only time I've ever lost files is when a power surge cooked my HD and, while I could recover the data, I forgot to grab all of it.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Frostrune View Post
    Hi

Had a quick discussion on this, try the following....

1) What kind of OS is he running? Vista is, as we all know, keen on not always working the way we want it to. Make sure he runs the Anarchy application as Administrator

2) Delete the Prefs folder found in the Funcom/Anarchy Online folder, then run the game.

3) If he uses Vista or Windows 7, try moving the entire Funcom/Anarchy Online away from Program Files. Then follow the steps above.

Let us know how it works out.
    he tried all that. still cant move or do anything.

moved the whole FC folder to another place and deleted preffs and ran in administrator mode
    Thabeast 220 Engineer
    Rylourne 220 Enforcer
    Annasan 220 Soldier
    Annamorgane 220 doc
    Psyfreakout 220 crat
    Nanobots 220 Nano-Technician
    Shadowlordi 220 shade
    Ifixnotalot 220Fixer
    Milajojovich 213 Agent (soon to be 220)
    SneakyBeast 200 Agent

Equilibrium

Reinstall. Dunno how people manage to screw this up. Impressive for sure.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I see it like this:
    If all games you install makes you bind keys before you can start teh game: then it is the OS's fault..
    If only -one- game makes you do this, it is the game's fault..

I once bought a program that did not run on non-english versions of windows, they tried to put it on me, saying their software worked fine.. thing is I found teh error AND tested it on 4 non-english windows compuers, and 1 english.. failed on all but teh english..

Still a user-error, when all other software works?

Sorry, but users should not be experts on user rights and computers, they are downloading a game to have fun..

If the game does not work with the default download tool you get from the company, it is not a user error..
    Maybe include a notice in the installer?
    at least as a temporary fix.

I -love- having sub-folders with data, and hate the user-folder structure.
    But I have seen much software working, hence I get the idea that it can be done

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

For the use of application data or other folders in the windows profile, it makes the backups a lot easier without backing up the easily re-creatable data.

I need to set my backup software to backup my profile, and then pick up folders here and there under the games to get everything done, when it could just be the profile folder, like it is on my Linux system (home directories)
    Mireiawen Rose, 215/30/70 neut fixer, setup RK2
    Mireiwen Rose, 220/27/62 neut MA trader/tradeskiller, setup RK2
    Miraiwen Rose, 220/30/70 neut SMG soldier, setup RK2
    Miraeawen Rose, 220/27/70 neut MP, setup RK2
    Mireiaieawen Rose, 220/30/69 neut tank, RK2
    +bunch of others in Rose family...

President of Neutral Warriors | Neutnet mod | Mireiawen.net

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mireiawen View Post
    For the use of application data or other folders in the windows profile, it makes the backups a lot easier without backing up the easily re-creatable data.

I need to set my backup software to backup my profile, and then pick up folders here and there under the games to get everything done, when it could just be the profile folder, like it is on my Linux system (home directories)
    I can only agree
    Programs should have a "savegame" / "Prefs" /"user data" folder that is easy to backup, that is still doable while having it as a subfolder of the game/program.

If you are on a computer with multiple users, then user folders are the best, as it has security against tampering.. that same security annoys me when I have a crashed system that I try to recover from though..

But in theory, they user folders are the best, in my judgement the technology is not mature yet though.. I see to many people using it wrongly and bugging up programs trying.

So I could manage that solution, if it came, I just prefer portable programs..
    (external hard disk for games rules, then you can play them wherever you go)

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12